• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

8/10 suffering

jBcT34R.png

CgOb93Q.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighter Episode 21:

Hands down the worst fight of the tournament and one of the the worst episode of the series. I have fully turned against Alia and no amount of backstory made her any more sympathetic. She is a dull Rei Ayanami clone whose inexplicable angst has ruined two episodes now. The battle could have been interesting but was just ruined by the angle advancement dramatics and they really couldn't pick a tone here. Anyway, thankfully that is all in the past now and we can move on to The Main Event.

DiGiKerot

Just how many episodes is World Conquest going to be? Like the alast episode a lot.

Having never watched it can someone tell me why Fractale is so famous for being bad? I know about the whole meme surrounding it but what about the actual show?

Fractale itself isn't actually all that bad, though it flubs it's messaging something rotten. Most of it's reputation really does come from the dopey memes surrounding it, and mainly the rhetoric which came from Yamakan himself. Fractale was proceeded with weeks of messaging about how he was "saving anime" and how if Fractale wasn't a major success, he was going to quit anime production.

Of course, when it aired, the first episode of Fractale turned out to be a whole mess of ideas and iconography appropriated from other famous anime works - there's all sort of things which ring more than a little familiar if you've seen Nausicaa or Laputa or Nadia, which obviously just set people off pointing and laughing at it. That reaction was probably kind of the point, to be honest - it's deliberate done to get a rise out of the "database animal" type otaku (and much of the shows meta-messaging is about perceived issues with otaku culture and things like it's obsession with purity in female characters).

It was also horribly hypocritical about it - criticising anime culture and saying you aren't making a show for anime fans is one thing, packaging your first volume with a Puchi-nendoroid of one of the heroines whilst doing that rather sends mixed messages about it.

WUG is much the same way in a fashion - there's things in that first episode of the TV show which seem to be there entirely to catch people - particularly nerds - who haven't seen the movie, which provides additional context, beforehand out. That second episode is basically a case of them yelling LOOK HOW UNCOMFORTABLE THAT FANSERVICE YOU OBSESS OVER ACTUALLY IS, but that hasn't really stopped them from doing Megami spreads or anything. It's a show which started by trying to appeal to idol fans whilst simultaneously telling them that they are terrible human beings who should be ashamed of themselves.

(Also, the nerd who defends WUG on 2ch is called Kuniyoshi Ota. Think about that for a moment).

Honestly, animation production issues aside, I actually like WUG (I have merch!), and I'm kind of disappointed that they've actually been toning down the heavy IDOL CULTURE commentary as the show goes on. It was the shows defining characteristic, and basically put it on the extreme opposite end of the scale to the over-earnest Love Live or Aikatsu. Now it's just that show I see people on my Twitter timeline complaining about being unable to differentiate the characters in.

Back to point, though - divorced from it's production circumstances, Fractale is pretty much just an unremarkable, somewhat-derivative, but mostly watchable SF-fantasy adventure anime with a handful of interesting ideas it doesn't really deliver on. There's nothing particularly aggressively bad about it or anything, but sticking Yamakan in charge of anything these days just results in he himself painting a humongous target on it.

Oh, and unrelated, those taking about The Wind Rises could probably do worse than listen to the first half-hour of the recent Carl Horn episode of the ANNCast. Zac projecting on a movie he hadn't seen at the time aside, Mr Horn talks for about a straight twenty minutes, uninterrupted, about the movie and it's context in a real interesting fashion.

That reaction was probably kind of the point, to be honest - it's deliberate done to get a rise out of the "database animal" type otaku (and much of the shows meta-messaging is about perceived issues with otaku culture and things like it's obsession with purity in female characters).

database animal?

Jintor

database animal?

otaku.jpg

It's a term for the kind of nerd who get their kicks by knowing everything about a given subject (guns, tanks, idols etc) but who generally don't really know how to apply their knowledge in a useful manner. You might think of them as information hoarders who compete to appear as the most devoted fan, or something.

DiGiKerot

otaku.jpg

It's a term for the kind of nerd who get their kicks by knowing everything about a given subject (guns, tanks, idols etc) but who generally don't really know how to apply their knowledge in a useful manner. You might think of them as information hoarders who compete to appear as the most devoted fan, or something.

Should also point out that the guy who wrote that book was one of the leads on Fractale.

Jintor

Truthfully I don't recall being in complete agreement or anything on the thesis presented, but it's been a few years since I read that one.

I miss Zura
It's not zura , it's katsura !

Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters 01

X7bAM1Yl.jpg

Grandpa goes missing yet again but the gang goes to India anyway, comes across a pyramid (cause those are everywhere) built in honor of Alexander the Great, goes through it and discovers a map that transports them to the magical world of Capsule Monsters, whatever the hell that is.

I really don't know why I'm watching this.
Wait they really did that ? i mihgt be tempted to watch it .

Strike the Blood 20

Why's everyone
dying
this week?

I had the exact same thought after watching this episode !

cajunator

Banned
AKB cafe isn't really sad. Its not more pathetic than going into a Johnny's store for example. Its just a cafe with idol themed food and merchandise. Actual sadness can be experienced if you decide to go deep and attend events.

I would love to visit one of those themed cafes for the experience.

is this for real? lol

201403030118210000.gif

For a while I didnt see what was wrong with this on my phone, but now Im looking on a PC and...LOL.

Black Lagoon 4
So i was wondering why people didn't like this arc in the first half. it was a decent backstory dealing with what truly matters in a moment of war. The modern day story was a tad boring but nothing too bad. Then the last part came and
fucking nazis are attacking them. They are literally nazis from 1940s Germany military complete with blind nationalism and those military outfits attacking Black Lagoon. MY god, that is certainly a level of ridiculousness

Z/X ignition - 04

So this looked like a nice episode , ..started with a raise in the stakes , 2 flashbacks , a chance meeting for later ( that would lead to more things later i assume ) and a sudden fight.

Everything was alright , including the anti climatic end if the way the team was brought together wasn't some magical deus ex machina plot writting ...
Everything was fine and then SUDDENLY " we're friends !" and then one character even ask the MC if she is going to protect the town by himself , and he said "no" just like that .

I mean "ok , fine" but it feel like i'm missing 6 minutes of plot here.or character devellopement , it was there but NOT in that direction. i'm hoping the next episode will adress this because ZX is starting to create sub-plots at the speed of light and i really hope that their first episode was worth starting for like that since it made me more confused than ever.

So the conclusion of this episode is : "we're all friends girls !"

ZX IGNITION - 05
I haven't seen this amount of darkness since naruto ...

"release your darkness"

"you have so much darkness in your heart !"

"now the darkness is full !"

" do you hate them ?"

Lol for aina ... first you say " i'm not strong like you i can't go for revenge !" and then at the first opportunity you pick "revenge" ?

WHAT ?

Aina went 300% hypocrisy here.

"I know you just saved my life but i hate you regardless !!"

A few of the main Date A Live websites are advertising for a Date A Live Encore 3 LE blu-ray package release in December.

I'm slightly confused about what it actually is. Pretty sure it includes the OVA and something related to Encore 3 (duh), but I'm assuming it's just a book rather than anything animated. Kurumi's being used as the poster child for the advertising, so I'm guessing Encore 3 is / includes Kurumi Star Festival? Someone who's actually read the damn things could doubtlessly interpret this news better.

Incidentally, the volume 10 cover's up on the main site. It's spoilery.
Kinda curious whether it'll alter people's opinions of her, since she seems to be the most hated character.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Silver Spoon Episode 9
It's scary how good the writing in this show is.
Also japanese rules towards individuality in school kinda pisses me off

cnet128

Banned
A few of the main Date A Live websites are advertising for a Date A Live Encore 3 LE blu-ray package release in December.

I'm slightly confused about what it actually is. Pretty sure it includes the OVA and something related to Encore 3 (duh), but I'm assuming it's just a book rather than anything animated. Kurumi's being used as the poster child for the advertising, so I'm guessing Encore 3 is / includes Kurumi Star Festival? Someone who's actually read the damn things could doubtlessly interpret this news better.

I'm slightly confused about what this is as well. Apparently the first "Date A Live Encore" was a novel released in May of last year collecting a number of Date A Live short stories, so I presume this is a similar deal, but I'm a little thrown by the fact that I can't find anything on the internet regarding a "Date A Live Encore 2". Either there's something weird going on with the numbering or Encore 2 was just so unremarkable that the internet completely ignored it? Or maybe they just announced Encore 3 first for some reason - there's plenty of time for 2 to come out in the meantime since the given release date isn't until December -.-

At any rate, the description on the image says that the Blu-Ray included with the special edition contains an long-awaited unaired anime episode featuring Shidou and Kurumi going to a wedding venue on Tanabata, which I presume is the Star Festival story you're talking about.

You know what I wish there was more of for comedic effect? Male tsunderes. In sports anime.

"I-it's not like I passed you the ball because I care about you or anything"

I'm slightly confused about what this is as well. Apparently the first "Date A Live Encore" was a novel released in May of last year collecting a number of Date A Live short stories, so I presume this is a similar deal, but I'm a little thrown by the fact that I can't find anything on the internet regarding a "Date A Live Encore 2". Either there's something weird going on with the numbering or Encore 2 was just so unremarkable that the internet completely ignored it? Or maybe they just announced Encore 3 first for some reason - there's plenty of time for 2 to come out in the meantime since the given release date isn't until December -.-

At any rate, the description on the image says that the Blu-Ray included with the special edition contains an long-awaited unaired anime episode featuring Shidou and Kurumi going to a wedding venue on Tanabata, which I presume is the Star Festival story you're talking about.
Thanks, that's helpful. Google translate kept throwing up stuff about an unaired anime episode so I assumed it was referring to the OVA that was included with vol 9 of the light novel, but with the release date so far off and given what you've said it's plausible that they're actually animating the Kurumi Star Festival story as a further OVA of sorts, to be released as this LE blu-ray in December. It may well be story #3 from the Encore collection, which'd explain the numbering.

Wait a sec. Animating Kurumi Star Festival

Animated Kurumi in a wedding dress

ah... haha.... hahahaha...

If this turns out to be incorrect I will make you pay for destroying my dreams.

foxuzamaki

Silver Spoon Episode 11
A good episode to leave off on, overall this anime has been really great, it started off as a cliche plot, but it s probably the most fleshed out story ive seen of this type of show, all the characters are likeable, and I mean every single one, well except the ones your obviously suppose to hate like the parents. I'm gonna hop into season 2 immediately Though it is weird how they left it off at episode 11, kinda a weird number to end the season on.

duckroll

Silver Spoon Episode 11
A good episode to leave off on, overall this anime has been really great, it started off as a cliche plot, but it s probably the most fleshed out story ive seen of this type of show, all the characters are likeable, and I mean every single one, well except the ones your obviously suppose to hate like the parents. I'm gonna hop into season 2 immediately Though it is weird how they left it off at episode 11, kinda a weird number to end the season on.

I think you'll really like where season 2 goes. :)

11 episodes is pretty normal for noitaminA though, which is the programming block it airs on in Japan. Most of their series are 11 or 22 episodes long. There are very few which are 12 episodes, but those are anomalies.

Silver Spoon Episode 11

One of my favorite shows of 2013. Don't forget that there's a Silver Spoon OT as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629401

Didn't know about it when I first watched S1. :p

DiGiKerot

did her hand get stuck?

...is she cthulhu?

That would probably explain the use of songs from Nyaruko-san in WUG!

(That, and probably something to do with idol fandom being somewhat akin to the worship of the elder gods).

The real joke with that .gif is that it's actually from the corrected BD version of the movie, rather than the original theatrical version.

TRUE LOVE IS THE GREATEST OF DEUS' EXES

Speaking of Disney's Pocahontas, Brazilian author Jose de Alencar wrote a book called Iracema that is like Pocahontas, except he wrote it like, in the 1800s, and in his version John Smith and Pocahontas do have sex, and Pocahontas walks around everywhere naked, and there are awesome fight scenes!

Nice Corvo, have you had the chance to read anything else? Like something from Machado de Assis or someone else for example.

Urusei Yatsura - 56

This class, this class...
Jariten
drops a granede, three people get on the explosion raidius, what they do? just get up and put they table where they were.
Onsen-sensei asking
if they valued his class that much, and without a second thought they "say" no, then asking if they hate detention that badly and everyone with a smile on their face "say" yes.
This one was to much to me. lol

foxuzamaki

I think you'll really like where season 2 goes. :)

11 episodes is pretty normal for noitaminA though, which is the programming block it airs on in Japan. Most of their series are 11 or 22 episodes long. There are very few which are 12 episodes, but those are anomalies.
Episode 1 of season 2 is already raising the stakes in a big way.
One of my favorite shows of 2013. Don't forget that there's a Silver Spoon OT as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629401

Didn't know about it when I first watched S1. :p
haha I'll be sure to check it out :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ano Hana: The Movie

This movie came out a year or two after the series, and the best way to watch this movie is a probably a long while after the series. So if you want to refresh your memory about this series before watching this movie, don't. The movie itself will do that for you. It serves as a nice epilogue to the series, taking place a year after the final episode of the TV series and it doesn't go about recapping the usual way, but rather throughout the movie the characters will recall moments from the tv series while providing their own commentary. For those who love the series, the insights are great. Especially the final character's insight in the last recap scene in the movie. It'd definitely something Ano Hana fans will appreciate, but you'll appreciate it a lot less if you jump into it right after marathoning the TV series. The best thing is checking up on how everyone is doing a year after the TV series' events. And you shouldn't watch it if you haven't seen the series; it's not meant to be a standalone movie. Watching it without seeing the TV series is actually the worst thing you could do.

Also, I saw it without subs and understood about 97% of everything and was happy I was able to understand that much =)
I think you can go in cold, as zeroshiki did, and still get it. The only reason I say that though is because the movie removes a lot of the Okadaisms and creates a text that is much more restrained in terms of the melodrama.

AKB cafe isn't really sad. Its not more pathetic than going into a Johnny's store for example. Its just a cafe with idol themed food and merchandise. Actual sadness can be experienced if you decide to go deep and attend events.
You should go to an election event!

http://eyeforaneyepiece.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/otaku.jpg?w=470

I'm sure the weapon loadout statistics of all the Gundams will come in handy when the aliens invade Earth though.

excellent

So mean!

CorvoSol

Nice Corvo, have you had the chance to read anything else? Like something from Machado de Assis or someone else for example.

Right now I'm trying to read Betty Milan's "O Papagaio e o Doutor" but to be honest, in spite of the book being way more contemporary than "Iracema" I really don't know what's going on. I can't tell if I only have an excerpt or the whole story is only 30 pages.

At the end of the semester I'll also be reading "Macunaima, o heroi sem caracter".

Due to a watch bet with somebody in K-On GAF, I won't be starting Future Diary just yet, but instead:

Pani Poni Dash! 01

11 year old teacher, a depressed rabbit, lots of students, aliens, cat lord and... Charlton Heston? Wut?

This is certainly strange. Not sure what to think of this yet.

Rebecca reminds me a bit of hakase from Nichijou.

Oh, and maho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom