• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
e: Kirb that sounds stupendously awkward and as such we have to know every detail now.

What could you possibly fight about when it comes to the Oscars. lol

If OT is any indication, film buffs are several times as vicious as even the most monocle anime fans could ever hope to be.

Narag

I was gonna watch Gundam X, but all this Disney talk has put me out of the mood for mecha warfare. I need to watch something more uplifting and fun now.

*que the onslaught of Casshern Sins recommendations*

5HFxx.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Wind Rises

Now the second half of this movie, is where I’m kind of slightly indifferent about. See, the first half involved just a man and his dream to build airplanes. The second half is where things go full romance and the dream scenario gets kind of put to the side a bit. I know Miyazaki was trying to tell a more adult story with this one (at least that’s what I heard), but I feel like the romantic parts dragged on just a little bit too much. The focus became more on the Jiro’s relationship with Naoko and the film ended up having to balance his love for his beloved along with his love for his dream. Don’t get me wrong, the romance wasn’t bad by any means, and it didn’t feel forced at all. I just wish we had a little bit more of what was in the first half of the movie in the second.

You know what? I think the tiny problem I have with this movie is the same problem some people have with Pixar’s WALL-E. People really enjoyed the first half of that movie which had little to no dialogue and just involved a romance between two robots on a desolated Earth. Some people just wanted more of that while the film inserted all this other drama in the second half with the
rouge auto pilot, the fat humans, and everything else.
That’s how I feel about the Wind Rises. I liked the first half that was filled with wonder and imagination of one man and how he continued to move forward towards his goal, despite the many harsh realities he had to face along the way (an earthquake, the great depression, etc).
I would only respond to that by saying that the film goes out of its way to say that Jiro wouldn't have been able to make his plane without her. The wind is a constant motif that you see throughout the film, and she is the embodiment of wind for him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why do you think I'm here? lol

Mass Exaggeration of opinions to egg someone on.

And at this point, I guess my Anime Thursdays are also dead as a result.
Someone took the trolling too far? Whoops!

e: Kirb that sounds stupendously awkward and as such we have to know every detail now.

If OT is any indication, film buffs are several times as vicious as even the most monocle anime fans could ever hope to be.
Well, here's the thing, film buffs know that the Oscars are bullshit anyway. At least that's what they tell themselves when some niche Croatian film doesn't get nominated.

Attack on Titan is probably included because it's the newest hip anime that is grimdark. Plus if you were trying to tell people how mature anime is, it wouldn't be far off for a newbie to understand.

As to Library War, I tried to watch it but I fell asleep. Maybe I should give it another go some time

See here's the thing. The person who egged on the other dude usually exaggerates opinions so hard to the point of stupidity, and he's aware of the shit even.

I mean trolling is one thing, but when it's someone's M.O., it's something else entirely.

Doesn't help that sometimes, people are too sensitive when it comes to news, and then people suffer due to "prepertrating" a scenario... like the Wii U launch
and I was the victim

Anywho here I am, and part of why my twitter isn't gaming twitter, despite it being my primary hobby.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk covering bases in case Gravity doesn't win best picture
I know it won't!

As to Library War, I tried to watch it but I fell asleep. Maybe I should give it another go some time
Library War is the only anime that is really action and shoujo at the same time that I can think of. Some action shows will have female leads, but they typically are not made for girls in terms of having a heavy romance for the character to be invested in.

CorvoSol

.... soooo not to derail the Frozen talk but....

THE HELL IS UP WITH ZETA GUNDAM!

Seriously, huge Gundam fan, finally watched all the episodes of the original after only seeing most but not all of it. Jump straight into Zeta for the second time, first time making it only to episode 12ish. Now I'm at 16 after waiting a few years between trying to watch it...

Is every character in this show a schizophrenic?! seriously, I know Kamille is f'd up and poorly written/thought out but fuck! Its so bad, I just... ugh. Bright acting like Kam did not steal the gundam/go on a crazy rampage the next time he sees him, Kamille talking to people normally, then he just snaps for literally no reason.

"Hey Kamille, how ya doing today? Oh I'm fine thanks. Want some Orange Juice? HOW DARE YOU, ADULTS ARE ALL THE SAME! BECAUSE -Insert something from 6 episodes prior but have no indication he even remembers it because 99% of the shit he freaks out about had him smiling and not careing literally 3 seconds after it happened-

I am just so dumbfounded how ridiculous this series is. And I know Destiny is just a remake of it and its characters so I know what to expect but fuck.

WELCOME TO POST OYW GUNDAM. IT NEVER GETS BETTER. Well, minus G and Turn A. The rest of it is EXACTLY that way.

Now, that said, this is going to hurt but Kamille is actually one of the better characters in Zeta. When you start meeting people like Katz, Sarah, and so on, you'll see that Kamille is one of the few characters in the show who manages to get his shit together. Fa is kinda divisive. Personally I found her to be awful in Zeta (because let's be honest, any woman whose name isn't Emma Sheen in Zeta Gundam isn't worth my attention.), but in ZZ she does some growing up.

At least that was somewhat reasonable... to lose a best friend maybe.

It was mostly the lack of a motive on her part that made it absurd. Like, one day she literally just decided one of us was expendable, cut her completely from her life, and then couldn't process why the rest of us would go "So if you can do that to her, how expendable are the rest of us?" She had legitimate super villain world views out of the blue and it was awful.

That belongs to Aladdin.

Aladdin had some great jams, but-

Music, another category where Fantasia crushes the opposition.

nobody can really compete with Fantasia.

I was gonna watch Gundam X, but all this Disney talk has put me out of the mood for mecha warfare. I need to watch something more uplifting and fun now.

*que the onslaught of Casshern Sins recommendations*

If Disney ever made a mecha war movie I'd die happy.

It was mostly the lack of a motive on her part that made it absurd. Like, one day she literally just decided one of us was expendable, cut her completely from her life, and then couldn't process why the rest of us would go "So if you can do that to her, how expendable are the rest of us?" She had legitimate super villain world views out of the blue and it was awful.

Well that... is something, I think I might retract my statement.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fantasia is amazing but it really shouldn't be in any discussion about best Disney score since it mostly uses public domain pieces.

Theonik

I don't remember my favorite Disney movie, but I think I've watched Robin Hood about a million times but somehow don't remember any of it.
For some reason I totally expected that.

Too bad about the xerox animation in those.
Can't exactly blame them budgets were tight and building animation banks like that was how Disney stayed viable through much of its early years and it isn't rare at all outside anime.

Anywho here I am, and part of why my twitter isn't gaming twitter, despite it being my primary hobby.
Oh. Is that what that tweet was referring to?

Fantasia is amazing but it really shouldn't be in any discussion about best Disney score since it mostly uses public domain pieces.
Sounds like most Disney properties.

CorvoSol

Well that... is something, I think I might retract my statement.

It was all really, really petty and weird, too. Like, the whole sordid story adds some measure of understandability to the how of it all, but I've been wracking my brains for two years on the why.

Like, imagine you have a group of friends and you were all close from at least 7th grade on. And I mean, the people you go through 7th grade with you keep close because they know all your worst shit and you cannot ever let them wander too far off. This group of friends of yours went everywhere and did just about everything together. When you left the country for two years and put up the absurd barrier of "snail mail communication only" your friends, ever faithful, wrote you for the whole two years.

You come home, and that whole year afterward is absolute bliss from a friendship standpoint. Your friends are as great as ever, you do all these cool grown up things now, and even when you hit an emotional dark point they're there to bail you out and stand by you.

Then you go away to college for a semester, come home, and it's like your best friend has been replaced with an evil doppleganger and you're only realizing it slowly as the audience tries and tries and tries to warn you.

That was early 2012 for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
See here's the thing. The person who egged on the other dude usually exaggerates opinions so hard to the point of stupidity, and he's aware of the shit even.

I mean trolling is one thing, but when it's someone's M.O., it's something else entirely.

Doesn't help that sometimes, people are too sensitive when it comes to news, and then people suffer due to "prepertrating" a scenario... like the Wii U launch
and I was the victim

So you shouldn't talk about politics, religion, games, anime, movies, sports... that leaves the weather, right?

Branduil

Like 90% of their animated movies are based on public domain works, LOL. That's why their greedy hypocrisy regarding copyright law is so disgusting.

Oh. Is that what that tweet was referring to?

Funny enough, my tweet was made based on what I was talking to my friend Paperlink about. He was talking about people complaining on his feed that Tropical Freeze was too difficult, and I'm like "dude, there's a reason why I have an anitwitter"

That was the reason why I made the tweet.

It was all really, really petty and weird, too. Like, the whole sordid story adds some measure of understandability to the how of it all, but I've been wracking my brains for two years on the why.

Like, imagine you have a group of friends and you were all close from at least 7th grade on. And I mean, the people you go through 7th grade with you keep close because they know all your worst shit and you cannot ever let them wander too far off. This group of friends of yours went everywhere and did just about everything together. When you left the country for two years and put up the absurd barrier of "snail mail communication only" your friends, ever faithful, wrote you for the whole two years.

You come home, and that whole year afterward is absolute bliss from a friendship standpoint. Your friends are as great as ever, you do all these cool grown up things now, and even when you hit an emotional dark point they're there to bail you out and stand by you.

Then you go away to college for a semester, come home, and it's like your best friend has been replaced with an evil doppleganger and you're only realizing it slowly as the audience tries and tries and tries to warn you.

That was early 2012 for me.

....I'm starting to wonder if I even need to imagine it, because it's almost as if I can make a relatable statement.

CorvoSol

....I'm starting to wonder if I even need to imagine it, because it's almost as if I can make a relatable statement.

So you know how I can make horrible, violent, hostile, confrontational, petty, cruel, awful, terrible, demeaning, small-minded, vicious statements about anime? Well I found out that I can actually do that to people, too. Shit is a horrible, horrible, no-good feeling, man. You got my sympathies on this one.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Reyearth 7

"We need to take some time to assess the situation and develop our plan of action. Otherwise, we have no chance"
*goes to save Ferio by herself while she thinks the other two are sleeping.

If they're so insistent on forwarding the romance between Fuu and Ferio, they could at least try to pull off something better than that.

Also I don't like how many battles in this show are basically won by well-timed upgrades.

Kid's ending scream was kinda lame. Pretty sure echoes don't work like that, with them just conveniently waiting for the previous echo to finish before they start. Also if you don't want your friends to die then you shouldn't use them as killing machines. Just sayin'.

Pretty weak episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Like 90% of their animated movies are based on public domain works, LOL. That's why their greedy hypocrisy regarding copyright law is so disgusting.

I'm referring to the best OST discussion specifically. Most Disney films are obviously based on fairy tales and folk stories, but Fantasia's score has few if any original compositions.

So you shouldn't talk about politics, religion, games, anime, movies, sports... that leaves the weather, right?

Being an Alaskan, I can't really give status updates about weather. lol.

So you know how I can make horrible, violent, hostile, confrontational, petty, cruel, awful, terrible, demeaning, small-minded, vicious statements about anime? Well I found out that I can actually do that to people, too. Shit is a horrible, horrible, no-good feeling, man. You got my sympathies on this one.

And I've seen this happened, so yeah.

Phi brain S3- 22
I didn't think i would say that one day , but the time has come.

"i wish this anime has a my-hime ending"

i didn't like my hime ending , but damn it's exactly what phi brain needs...

For this episode , it was great , battle royale puzzles are always great but damn freecell, why freecell haven't you learned in the pyramid to freaking trust your instincs ? you made 2 fatal errors in a row , in a battle royale gusha puzzle ? it's like you were looking for the bad ending !

This season is great , but BUT ... Why ;-; the death count is just too high, we need to reset this ...

jman2050

I'm deathly afraid of having a lapse in my self-control at the wrong time with people I care about. I can say some truly hurtful things if I'm provoked the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom