• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Alright Gazoinks here's what's happening. You're gonna power through the next 5 episodes of Clannad After Story!! This is to make up for not watching it in over a week. :p

I am kidding you don't have to do anything I say. :(

Haha, I'll watch it today, don't worry. :p I was busy over the last couple of nights so I didn't have much anime time.

I believe in Takemiya!
She's obviously concerned about his well-being, I wonder if she just thinks being with him is just going to make things worse for him down the line.

That preview was definitely peculiar. Really have no idea what to make of this ending now.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more,
they put an obvious cut to Oka's camera during Banri's breakdown, I wonder if Koko ended up seeing that by mistake. I could definitely see that guilt-tripping her into doing something like this.

Good point.
with how much he kept saying he wanted to be with her, plus the pills she saw, she might be thinking she's part of the breakdown after seeing the video. I'm sure it'll end with them getting engaged. But this drama for 2-3 more episodes. Only 2-3 more and we're in the clear man.

jman2050

But this drama for 2-3 more episodes. Only 2-3 more and we're in the clear man.

A few days ago I had a dream where I watched the last episode to this show and it ended in the worst way possible. I immediately woke up in a cold sweat and it took at least five minutes to realize that what had just happened was a dream. Couldn't get back to sleep after that.

Maybe anime is the wrong hobby for me.

Haha, I'll watch it today, don't worry. :p I was busy over the last couple of nights so I didn't have much anime time.

tumblr_static_clannad_gif_nagisa.gif

wonzo

Banned
the best thing about diabolik lovers was the fedora wearing atheist who called the main girl bitch-chan.

cant handle all these stereotypes

Lol I've always said this about Spice and Wolf. It's a show that on paper doesn't sound that interesting, but in execution has you really tense with every decision Lawrence makes. It's strange just how compelled you become with the show. Sometimes episodes feel so short but they are 22 minutes each so you wonder how the time flies.

I would totally recommend Spice and Wolf to anyone. It's a pretty great anime.

I have personally enjoyed reading the light novels Yen Press has translated, and await volume 11 coming this April. Do keep in mind one LN volume is covered every six episodes. Season one covers LN volumes one and two, and season two covers LN volumes three and five. I can see why LN volume four was skipped, as volume 5 gives the anime adaptation a better ending point, but it is disappointing a season three of the anime will probably not happen since the LN ended three years ago. Just like no Haruhi season three.

I think watching Toradora week-by-week might have killed me.

Why do we watch anime week-by-week again?

There are few anime that I watch week by week. Most of the time I wait for it to build up episodes and I watch it in quick succession. For some anime it helps carry over the emotion you felt the episode before better.

That's why with Golden Time I stopped on episode 3 and was just waiting for it to build up so I can watch the rest of the season all at once.

Engaged to a delicious romcom - 09

Benio -sama arrived and everything was better for it !
1394091300341.jpg

HUm i want to tell ....
That set of misunderstandings .... so good it was even more than that as the characters were trying to solve those misunderstanding the best they could but they happenned anyway !

But truly the best is Benio.. NO CONTEST
1394128023598.gif

You can't escape.

I'm now a member of the cult of benio-sama... This was just too perfect

Midonin

Magical Warfare 09

Didn't take long for this to turn into a second magical war. I can point to several elements here that have been done with more finesse in shows like Tokyo Ravens, but I keep watching because Mui is cute and it's not boring, at least. What I got from this episode is that the principal is overpowered (as expected) and that Gekkou was working for the side of evil (also as expected).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 21

Yeah, so I kinda knew this was gonna happen months ago, thanks to LN spoilers. Didn't know EXACTLY how it was gonna go down, but I had a general idea, at least.
So yeah, Koko leaves Banri because reasons? Or something. The LN spoilers made it sound like she specifically told him she'd be back, though. Which she didn't say in the episode, but it WAS the episode title, so...I dunno. I guess this is gonna be our "last few episodes" major drama.

Speaking of Golden Time and LNs, the anime is now caught up to the LN. For a few hours at least. The next (last? I'm not sure) volume comes out tomorrow. So if it's the last volume, we'll get a nice canon ending. If it's not...shitty original ending incoming. I hope it's not the latter.

I think watching Toradora week-by-week might have killed me.

Oh god I would have straight up died.

A few days ago I had a dream where I watched the last episode to this show and it ended in the worst way possible. I immediately woke up in a cold sweat and it took at least five minutes to realize that what had just happened was a dream. Couldn't get back to sleep after that.

Maybe anime is the wrong hobby for me.

You should watch less stressful shows and media.

There's this great book series called Song of Ice and Fire. If not there's a game that's super happy called Nier, give those a look to relieve stress.

Golden Time 21

Yeah, so I kinda knew this was gonna happen months ago, thanks to LN spoilers. Didn't know EXACTLY how it was gonna go down, but I had a general idea, at least.
So yeah, Koko leaves Banri because reasons? Or something. The LN spoilers made it sound like she specifically told him she'd be back, though. Which she didn't say in the episode, but it WAS the episode title, so...I dunno. I guess this is gonna be our "last few episodes" major drama.

Speaking of Golden Time and LNs, the anime is now caught up to the LN. For a few hours at least. The next (last? I'm not sure) volume comes out tomorrow. So if it's the last volume, we'll get a nice canon ending. If it's not...shitty original ending incoming. I hope it's not the latter.

If you find out how it ends could you let us know? The pressure and drama is killing me and I don't mind spoilers

cnet128

Banned
Silver Spoon S2 8

god help me I was not ready for these kind of feels

That was a pretty fuck yeah moment from Hachiken at the end, in a horribly bitter sort of way. Feels like a sort of climax moment for his character; he's always been the type to get himself mixed up in everyone else's issues, but this feels like the first time he's made a conscious decision to get himself mixed up in something, regardless of everyone's warnings and despite the fact there's nothing he can do to help, just because he can't let his friends face it alone.

I think this may be the first time Silver Spoon has made me feel really impatient to see the next episode. This is engrossing stuff.

Samurai Flamenco 19

Why do things make sense? It's... jeez. It made sense. Things made sense. I mean they always have, and that's fucking amazing considering what goes down in Samurai Flamenco.

jman2050

You should watch less stressful shows and media.

There's this great book series called Song of Ice and Fire. If not there's a game that's super happy called Nier, give those a look to relieve stress.

I couldn't give less of a shit about that thing George RR Martin wrote or whatever and I had Nier spoiled to me ages ago. The latter's story is pretty interesting though, I'll give it that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If you find out how it ends could you let us know? The pressure and drama is killing me and I don't mind spoilers

Sure, but honestly I got my spoilers from someone else in here (apologies for not remembering who it was, if you're reading this). So maybe they'll pop up again with Vol. 7 spoilers for us.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 5

You know, I don't know what it is, but this time around I'm finding Kamille a lot more sympathetic than I did before. Maybe it's because I've seen enough Gundam to know that Kamille is far and away one of the better protagonists in this series populated with such shit stains as Uso Ebbing, Flit Asuno, Shin Asuka and Setsuna F. Seiei. Maybe it is because I know that by the end of the show most of these characters will become repulsive and Kamille will be one of the only good ones left. Maybe it's because this time around I'm not watching it in English.

The most controversial character for me remains Char. Mostly because I keep remembering him in Char's Counter Attack, and like everything else about that movie he sucked sucked sucked horribly. Maybe it's because the sudden notion that Char was a great man and not a dude who murdered friends and superiors and whose own sister saw him as a nutcase annoys the fuck out of me. I can't really say.

Most of the time I'm convinced people like the Zeon not because they like the racism and nazi overtones and violent idiocy that Zeon stood for, but because they like Char. Nevermind that, again, Char Aznable was the kind of guy who used people like tools and lead friends and subordinates who trusted him to horrible deaths while he sat back laughing.

Narag

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 5
The most controversial character for me remains Char. Mostly because I keep remembering him in Char's Counter Attack, and like everything else about that movie he sucked sucked sucked horribly. Maybe it's because the sudden notion that Char was a great man and not a dude who murdered friends and superiors and whose own sister saw him as a nutcase annoys the fuck out of me. I can't really say.

Most of the time I'm convinced people like the Zeon not because they like the racism and nazi overtones and violent idiocy that Zeon stood for, but because they like Char. Nevermind that, again, Char Aznable was the kind of guy who used people like tools and lead friends and subordinates who trusted him to horrible deaths while he sat back laughing.

IIRC he's a lot more sympathetic in Zeta. More questioning his own path throughout and the damage done because of it. Makes the reunion with Amuro really nice in that regard. It's been a while but if I remember right, Bright gives him a speech later on about doing this or that that seemed to set him back on the shit path finalized in CCA.

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 19

I've never seen a series like this, and I will probably never see a series like this again ever. It's great to see the show go for the "full circle" narrative arc, but even then, I still have no idea what could happen in the final 3 episodes. In retrospect this show was never about plot "twists" so much as using totally unexpected developments to keep a narrative going in a crazy and unpredictable way to tell the story it wants to tell with these characters.

The production values might be ass. The tone might be all over the place. But it's still one of the more unique and special shows to have been made in a long, long time.

cnet128

Banned

Internets seem to indicate that it is indeed the final volume, so I guess we're in for a proper ending. That's a pleasant surprise, I was assuming that like so many other series this one was just going to end partway through the material.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Internets seem to indicate that it is indeed the final volume, so I guess we're in for a proper ending. That's a pleasant surprise, I was assuming that like so many other series this one was just going to end partway through the material.

Yeah, I just read over the (badly) Google translated Amazon description, and it does seem to indicate that it's the final volume. Good, good.

EDIT: But come to think of it, what really matters is if JC Staff got the LN manuscript before production started on the final batch of episodes. As I recall, the reason Toradora's anime ending differed slightly from the LN's was because JC Staff didn't get the final volume manuscript on time or something. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

EDIT EDIT: But thinking about it again, the final LN volume coming out JUST as the anime catches up makes it seem like they held the LN back until exactly this point, so it's probably been done and in their hands for a while now.

na5pjqzk.gif
na664of3.gif

Naruto Shippuden 353

Pretty good animation for the fight.

Wish they just kept it up for the 2nd half.

And they're just setting up for the poor girl to die.

CorvoSol

IIRC he's a lot more sympathetic in Zeta. More questioning his own path throughout and the damage done because of it. Makes the reunion with Amuro really nice in that regard. It's been a while but if I remember right, Bright gives him a speech later on about doing this or that that seemed to set him back on the shit path finalized in CCA.

I'm really hoping that rewatching Zeta will repair my opinion of Amuro and Char post-MSG. Because I really love them in MSG and I kind of feel like they're completely wasted afterward. And I think that that is in no small way colored by the fact that Char's Counter Attack started the long tradition of Gundam movies being horrible, awful, shitty and pointless products.

Every time I think about CCA I hate it more. The way its ending resolves fucking nothing. The wasted time on whether or not Char wants to bone little girls. The random deaths of numerous characters. Quess' awful behavior. And I mean, I understand she was supposed to be awful but at the same time nothing she does makes sense. She is the epitome of all that is wrong with Tomino's writing style. Even if he'd wanted her to be annoying, I don't believe for an instant Tomino is capable of parodying himself intentionally to that extent. The scene she flips out because Chan is just talking to Amuro and then she steals an MS and nobody reacts to it is just about the worst anything.

And then there's the fact that the movie drops you in the middle of a conflict that the movie itself then does not bother to resolve. The fact that Char was DEAD for 50 episodes and with NO EXPLANATION AT ALL he's alive and in control of all of Neo Zeon and waging a war and dropping meteors. The fact that Char spends Zeta as a hero and gives this big ol speech about how mankind is destroying the Earth and now we turn around and he's a villain who is dropping meteors on Earth because LOL GRABBITY BAD GUYS.

I wish I could move to a universe where Char's Counter Attack wasn't a bullet through the brain of UC Gundam.

Sure, but honestly I got my spoilers from someone else in here (apologies for not remembering who it was, if you're reading this). So maybe they'll pop up again with Vol. 7 spoilers for us.

Oh I think I remember who you were talking about
here I thought he was talking about when Koko almost crashes the car and leaves to her house to sulk while not contacting anyone

But maybe he was talking about this. Either ways I'll search high and low for spoilers. Because if it doesn't end in a good way I'm not going to watch it happen in the anime lol

I couldn't give less of a shit about that thing George RR Martin wrote or whatever and I had Nier spoiled to me ages ago. The latter's story is pretty interesting though, I'll give it that.

Haha it was just a joke on stressful or depressing media to help alleviate the stress of stressful anime.

Heysoos

Oh I think I remember who you were talking about
here I thought he was talking about when Koko almost crashes the car and leaves to her house to sulk while not contacting anyone

But maybe he was talking about this. Either ways I'll search high and low for spoilers. Because if it doesn't end in a good way I'm not going to watch it happen in the anime lol
If you find anything tomorrow shoot me a PM. :)

Golden Time 21

Woooooow
I just finished this episode .. and i CAN TELL YOu that i'm going to read the last book ASAP ..

You can NOT let me on this kind of cliffanger

i was totally NOT ready for this ...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Woooooow
I just finished this episode .. and i CAN TELL YOu that i'm going to read the last book ASAP ..

You can NOT let me on this kind of cliffanger

i was totally NOT ready for this ...

Me and Woof and Heysoos (please tell me tthat's a CGR reference, Heysoos) will be eagerly awaiting your spoilers. :D

Yeah, I just read over the (badly) Google translated Amazon description, and it does seem to indicate that it's the final volume. Good, good.

EDIT: But come to think of it, what really matters is if JC Staff got the LN manuscript before production started on the final batch of episodes. As I recall, the reason Toradora's anime ending differed slightly from the LN's was because JC Staff didn't get the final volume manuscript on time or something. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

EDIT EDIT: But thinking about it again, the final LN volume coming out JUST as the anime catches up makes it seem like they held the LN back until exactly this point, so it's probably been done and in their hands for a while now.

Well sometimes a writter has an ending in his mind and has already worte it , month or years before even reaching the ending ... that was the case for oreimo for example... so i'm kinda confident that for also your reasons above the last book is going to be what the anime viewers will get.. Golden time doesn't need an anime original ending

And then we'll all realise that the ending was hinted/hidden in the second opening all along!

NeonZ

I wish I could move to a universe where Char's Counter Attack wasn't a bullet through the brain of UC Gundam.

Try Gundam X. X's backstory is a thinly disguised One Year War, but it has a different ending and then the show itself starts 15 years after that.

Jex

[Xabungle]

I have no idea why this show loves to aggressively break the 4th wall at every opportunity, but it's pretty glorious:

narratorxa1d5jmi.jpg
narratorxa2r7k57.jpg

narratorxa3e0j30.jpg
narratorxa4jtko4.jpg

narratorxa5jwj14.jpg

I'm just holding off on the last 5 or so episodes of Golden Time till its all over. I can't deal with this dorama week to week.

Yeah. Same. Almost watched last week but then read the impressions and decided that I am gonna marathon the rest of episodes. Don't wanna ghost banri to piss me off for a week...

Honestly? That's probably the smarter idea. But to be honest I wash off the taste of drama with all the other shit I do weekly.

Library War: The Movie

D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw they really do love each other. What a sweet ending. I assume the still ongoing manga/light novel is nothing like this so I'm just going to pretend it's an anime original. And the other couple is nice too. The animation was superb. The characters were great as always and the plot ended nicely and tidy. I need nothing more from this show, good job.

This movie gets a 32/chamomile tea

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Strange+ Episode 9

Yep, still living up to that name in spades and I think there was some continuity in this episode, it is a bit hard to tell.

Engaged to the Unidentified 9 - Reaching the Next Level of RomCom

Okay. I was worried last week what they would do with that cliffhanger but this week they nailed it. Very entertaining episode all around.
When Kobeni cried
I audibly went "Aww.. Kobeni..." which I never do out loud. Last week I proclaimed that this is one of my favorite anime of this season and probably my favorite. Now I know it's my favorite of the season. I am gonna be very sad when this is all over.

I love the OP and ED to this show but every week I love it more and more. It's just so entertaining and gets me laughing or excited every week. Sooo good!!

Edit: And to think that a gif on AnimeGAF was the thing to get me to watch this!

OP

ED

One of my favorite scenes

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 19

Welp. I knew something had to be going on with the girlfriend, but that's pretty heavy.

But perhaps more importantly, it feels like we've finally come full-circle back to the original down-to-earth, completely character-driven style that the show started out with. Assuming shit doesn't go completely batshit within the next three episodes (admittedly a pretty massive assumption) this feels like a really nice way to handle the final arc. Much as I love all the insane shit the show has put us through, I still think this style is where it's at its strongest.

It does look like
the Gotou and Mari pairing has a pretty high chance of happening now, though, and I approve of that. They've always been a good match for each other, and the "girlfriend" has been the only thing really standing in the way.

Aaaaaand I'll happily say I have no idea where the show is going with what happened at the end of the episode, but I look forward to finding out =D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure - Japan

So two northern television cooks go off to sample the local culinary delights of Japan. However their producers think it would be a right hoot to send them to Akihabara first so they can witness the world of kawaii as introduced to Britain with 'Ello Kitty and t'Pokémon. So what better place to send them than a maido café where they literally have no clue what's going on. I guess it's a bit like that all that manga stuff we were told to talk about to the audience eh Kingy?

ibtrRN19GLZU1o.gif
ifjN4cxQkKSr3.gif

Oh yeah, they also go sumo wrestling, go to a house wives cooking class and join three salary men on their Friday night out after a 16 hour daily shift. But it's like they say Dave, AnimeGAF's only inte'sted in t'anime side of Japan.

But anyway, it was a right laugh so to all my fellow Brits, watch it on iPlayer.

ZX IGNITION - 08

That's a very anti climatic way to end a battle but it wasn't that bad.

Poor girl is turning into a energy sucking yandere and nobody is aware of it ...

The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure - Japan

So two northern television cooks go off to sample the local culinary delights of Japan. However their producers think it would be a right hoot to send them to Akihabara first so they can witness the world of kawaii as introduced to Britain with 'Ello Kitty and t'Pokémon. So what better place to send them than a maido café where they literally have no clue what's going on. I guess it's a bit like that all that manga stuff we were told to talk about to the audience eh Kingy?

[IM]http://i.minus.com/ibtrRN19GLZU1o.gif[/IMG] [IG]http://i.minus.com/ifjN4cxQkKSr3.gif[/IMG]

Oh yeah, they also go sumo wrestling, go to a house wives cooking class and join three salary men on their Friday night out after a 16 hour daily shift. But it's like they say Dave, AnimeGAF's only inte'sted in t'anime side of Japan.

But anyway, it was a right laugh so to all my fellow Brits, watch it on iPlayer.

This reminds me of An Idiot Abroad. Sending somebody completely unfamiliar with a culture into arguably the most embarrassing/worst part of the culture and see their reactions. It works in An Idiot Abroad, I'm curious if this would be just as funny.

CorvoSol

Try Gundam X. X's backstory is a thinly disguised One Year War, but it has a different ending and then the show itself starts 15 years after that.

As much as I'm sure it would drive someone insane, at present the best Char's Counter Attack is the end of Wing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This reminds me of An Idiot Abroad. Sending somebody completely unfamiliar with a culture into arguably the most embarrassing/worst part of the culture and see their reactions. It works in An Idiot Abroad, I'm curious if this would be just as funny.
It's not quite like that since these two are competent blokes. And it is basically about food and finding out about what meals the Japanese eat on a day to day basis. It's just the first part of this episode happened to lump them in the world that almost anyone would feel alien in and especially since I'm aware of said world I found it extra funny. The rest of it focuses on more down to earth parts of Japan. Also they have great charisma so you can't help but smile at the way they act. I mean they don't even try to compensate for their thick northern dialects so I'm surprised the Japanese local even understand what they are saying half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom