• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
yo I have just discovered a surprisingly decent anime. Its called birdy decode and I just came across it. My first thoughts was "not this shit again" but after looking into it the initial plot seemed okay. Then I watched episode 1 and holy shit, dayuuum thats some fine animation. Characters actually are likeable. I am pleasantly surprised.

Pani Poni Dash! 12

uPXuytm.jpg

U2Lwx3Z.jpg

Fulfilling your dreams can make you shine!

Speaking of dreams, Himeko certainly have some strange ones. And the aliens are Galaxy-stupid for Galaxy-leaving the Galaxy-device on for so Galaxy-long.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I am not super critical of anime and such, im usually a guy who sits back and enjoys, even when I myself notice the flaws, however strike the blood is a anime I outright said I really started to dislike and dropped several weeks ago. The super cliche harem tropes that took over more than the story did, turned me off, I was getting tired of the main girl getting mad for no goddamn reason when it was obvious it was legit actual mistakes from the main character getting in perverted situations, that trope is already way overdone as is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I am not super critical of anime and such, im usually a guy who sits back and enjoys, even when I myself notice the flaws, however strike the blood is a anime I outright said I really started to dislike and dropped several weeks ago. The super cliche harem tropes that took over more than the story did, turned me off, I was getting tired of the main girl getting mad for no goddamn reason when it was obvious it was legit actual mistakes from the main character getting in perverted situations, that trope is already way overdone as is.

Yeah, that's basically how I feel at this point. I figure I can just power through the last 3 episodes and be done with it, though. I'm really getting tired of it, though. If this show hadn't been two cour I might have enjoyed it, but as it is it just feels like it's been dragging on forever, repeating the same story arcs with slightly different plots/characters. I mean how many more times can Kojou accidentally see Himeragi's tits and Himeragi go "I'M SO EMBARRASSED, SENPAI"? How many more times can Himeragi catch Kojou in a compromising position with another one of his harem and get mad but then be totally fine a few seconds later? Gah.

The only two characters in this show who aren't complete idiots/one note genre trope-y are Natsuki and Astarte. Who are coincidentally the only two female main characters who aren't in Kojou's harem. EDIT: Forgot about Nagisa. She's fine, too.

Z/X Ignition Episode 8

The tiny Tyranno in the flashback with the loli was really cute to have. Its still one of the best zex even if it has such a small role. He would be the one I would want. Wonder when they go back to the Audium plot.

Pani Poni Dash! 13

Well... The school is under attack from a red bull cow-man with a bazooka, a sentimental ninja girl that's only 17 years old and a 50 meter tall bancho. And they fight back with a giant robot. Just another day at the Peach Moon Academy.

Yeah, that's basically how I feel at this point. I figure I can just power through the last 3 episodes and be done with it, though. I'm really getting tired of it, though. If this show hadn't been two cour I might have enjoyed it, but as it is it just feels like it's been dragging on forever, repeating the same story arcs with slightly different plots/characters. I mean how many more times can Kojou accidentally see Himeragi's tits and Himeragi go "I'M SO EMBARRASSED, SENPAI"? How many more times can Himeragi catch Kojou in a compromising position with another one of his harem and get mad but then be totally fine a few seconds later? Gah.

The only two characters in this show who aren't complete idiots/one note genre trope-y are Natsuki and Astarte. Who are coincidentally the only two female main characters who aren't in Kojou's harem. EDIT: Forgot about Nagisa. She's fine, too.

I'm in a car shop waiting for my car to get an oil change and I burst out laughing at the IM SO EMBARRASSED SENPAI part. Good job. As to the show I've been done with it for the entire second half practically.

Log horizon - 23

Log horizon this week was excellent ... every character was devellopped in a nice way nyanta serara , naotsugu - akatsuki ..and the list goes on. It's like they made sure to devellopp as much character as possible in a limited time frame ( while still following the book 5) ..

its' a job well done , especially in the multiple reaction faces.
1394291230760.gif

it's not even the best exchange of the episode :)

I'm loving how the city was showed , there were a LOT of cameos if you paid attention , and a decent amount of forshadowing if you knew book 6 ...trully the amount of detail and respect for the source material really make me happy .

We even had the most DELICIOUS EYECATCH since the start of the anime.

So ,
Akiba is under attack , an attack so sneaky nobody saw it coming .. ep 24 & 25 are going to be very intresting :)

I just wanted to tell you , it's not going to change ... like at all ... it's going to get worse.

Z/X Ignition Episode 8

The tiny Tyranno in the flashback with the loli was really cute to have. Its still one of the best zex even if it has such a small role. He would be the one I would want. Wonder when they go back to the Audium plot.
When they will have finished all the character develloppement episodes ?

Pani Poni Dash! 13
Well... The school is under attack from a red bull cow-man with a bazooka, a sentimental ninja girl that's only 17 years old and a 50 meter tall bancho. And they fight back with a giant robot. Just another day at the Peach Moon Academy.

I watched pani poni dash years ago and i loved it ...it's the most stupid plot in SHAFT memory but it's also the most fun ...

EDIT : how did i double post ???

Magical Warfare ep 9

This was incredible. It is what Magical Warfare needed to be like at episode 1, numerous great magical fights like with the head against the three losers and that great magical prowess. The deep drama from Takeshi and Gekkou
Takeshi ruining Gekkous like and even to this day being greedy trying to take everything from, really makes it easy to support Gekkou in his mission. His Liberate too was amazing.
I wouldnt mind if the anime doesnt resolve, I would read the series if its dragged out .

foxuzamaki

Yeah, I think I would agree with you if it was 2 cour, with every single arc they seem to add atleast 1 girl, the harem reaallly doesnt need to be that big, especially since he isnt going to be fucking them or anything.

Theonik

Sekai Seifuku Boryaku no Звезда 09
This episode was more :звезда than most. I kinda died at parts of it.
Definitely the most creative hotspring episode this week.

Log Horizon 23

I think this upcoming war on economics will be pretty interesting.

Nice to see we'll have some source of conflict to finish out this series.

phaze

It's not really a typical training arc.

And Gon grows quite a bit as the series goes on.

But if you aren't enjoying it at all by this point, then yeah, probably a good idea to drop it.

That does look better indeed. I dunno, I found myself not caring about any of the characters. The Hunter exam was dull throughout with a disappointing payoff. Hisoka and Phantom Troupe intrigue me but they're not enough to make me carry on.

Nisekoi - 09

Well this episode was kinda a textbook nisekoi episode + shaft flavor...

I certainly could have written it , but it wouldn't have been this stupid.

I mean i knew about the bath steam , the desert steams , the beam of light , the night beaùm of lights ..but now i've discovered the SHAFT Steam...

Thank you shaft for making me discover so much.

That does look better indeed. I dunno, I found myself not caring about any of the characters. The Hunter exam was dull throughout with a disappointing payoff. Hisoka and Phantom Troupe intrigue me but they're not enough to make me carry on.

It's hard to gauge what you would think of the series were you to carry on. I knew a bunch of people that outright hated the show before the Yorkshin arc, which was the point where it became one of their favorites. Of course asking for someone to stick it out for that long could be unreasonable depending on the person's level of enjoyment beforehand.

I will say that the Phantom Troupe deliver on pretty much every front.

Huh, I thought the Hunter Exam had an excellent payoff, seeing how it did things much differently from many other Shounens.

Gon didn't pass with a triumph of the human spirit with your typical Shounen screaming, he was beaten severely and his opponent surrendered, therefore giving him the win. But that's what Gon didn't want.

Gon wanted to triumph over his opponent. He wanted to feel like won. His opponent walking away and him just suddenly passing must have done a huge blow to his pride. The victory felt completely empty. Not many other Shounens do this in the first arc!

Pani Poni Dash! 14

Almost wideface.

Lunch is great. Unless your sister makes it... A shape shifting tanuki which doesn't want to end up in a hot pot, eh? I've remember something like that from another show. And suddenly, there's R. Lee Ermey too of course.

I feel this image is relevant to the reason I'm watching this show:

CorvoSol

Symbionic Titan 14

I realize this isn't anime, but I feel it's worth commenting on from time to time because Tartakovsky drew some pretty heavy inspirations from anime in this, and because it's just a legitimately good piece of animation. This episode was definitely the best so far, because it centered entirely on Octus/Newton. He's already the best character in the show, but I really appreciate that they took the time in a cartoon that aired on Cartoon Network in an age when its cartoons were dying left and right to really develop the robotic comedy relief character. I think it's a central point of good robot characters to address the issue of "what does it mean to be human?" Asimov did it, and every great robot character in fiction since has had their own take on that issue. With relation to the Full Metal Panic series, since this show does tend to parallel it a fair bit, AL goes through the issue and does not come up with a solid answer until the very end of the series. Here we have Octus really reach his own conclusion on who and what he is at what I suppose is slightly past the mid-point of the series. The scene where the world has stopped and Octus has gone back to the art museum to determine for himself why he cannot tell what the paintings mean and what it is that sets him apart from Lance and Ilana is a really great scene. It's quiet, it's moving, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

It really sort of amazes me that there was this period where Cartoon Network had these great, character driven shows like Symbionic Titan and Mysteries Incorporated and somehow it managed to strangle and murder both of them before their time. I'm not some nutcase who hates on Adventure Time or Regular Show, but it is sad to see that the network moved away from shows like Titan, Mysteries Inc and their DCAU stuff.

Especially the DCAU stuff. I'm not a big fan of DC, but DC cartoons have always been good stuff. Batman Beyond is still one of my favorite super heroes cartoons and I think I care more for Terry than I ever did Bruce sometimes. But I think Spider-Man best demonstrates the shift from character story-driven to more comedic, episodic cartoons. Like Spectacular Spider-Man is one of the best written super hero cartoons ever, and it was very much so part of an overarching plot, whereas Ultimate Spider-Man was much more of an episodic means for Marvel to promote various Super Heroes it was marketing at the time. And I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man isn't bad for what it is, but I don't think I'd ever put it on Spectacular's level.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda Episode 9

Certainly one of the best way to do a hot spring episode , Still not as good as fumoffu onsen episode , but in my top 20 for sure.

Sekai%20Seifuku%20-%20Bouryaku%20no%20Zvezda%20-%2009.jpg

You don't say .....

So the masks to falling , in way i was expecting but not to the pay-off i wanted ... Still quite a lot of character interractions i'm not aware of , but that's is better left for later ...
Animation was good as usual.

foxuzamaki

world conquest is actually quite tame, even with this episode.
it has one or 2 things like an episode, and they might not even do something fanservicey in a episode at all.

Future Card BuddyFight - Episode 10

So in this episode, they decide to take the card deck cases to an entirely new level. So far we've had them on belts, on headphones and even on a floating panel thing. Now we now have card deck cases on
a codpiece.
Of course, everyone was shocked by this revelation, even the Buddy Police who really should've known this already as they deliver these things to people after all.

We also got a little glimpse into Tasuku's heartbreaking backstory. Which was not heartbreaking at all really.
He was basically wandering the mountains somewhere for a couple of days then suddenly a shining card came down from the sky which then gave him hope for the future or something like that.

Also the cards can
evolve somehow and obviously the only person in the entire world who can do this is Tasuku (Where do I get the feeling that I've heard this guff before?).

Not too bad an episode although Tasuku's backstory needed to be a bit more...well interesting really. Maybe there's more to it and they'll tell us later.

Buddy Count: 59
Total Buddy Count: 468

cajunator

Banned
yo I have just discovered a surprisingly decent anime. Its called birdy decode and I just came across it. My first thoughts was "not this shit again" but after looking into it the initial plot seemed okay. Then I watched episode 1 and holy shit, dayuuum thats some fine animation. Characters actually are likeable. I am pleasantly surprised.

That show is pretty good. Some quite interesting animation at times.

New SOSes.

MvG6IQX.jpg

And congrats to DTL again?

Q6ap5aq.jpg

SOS is when you know youve arrived as an otaku.

Sekai seifuku is secretly the best show this season.

Its no secret!

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S2 22
582px-PG_Kiyoshi.png

Murasakibara's talent vs Kiyoshi's willpower is the battle this episode.

Kiyoshi has awoken the monster at the end of the episode.

Pani Poni Dash! 14

Almost wideface.

Lunch is great. Unless your sister makes it... A shape shifting tanuki which doesn't want to end up in a hot pot, eh? I've remember something like that from another show. And suddenly, there's R. Lee Ermey too of course.

I feel this image is relevant to the reason I'm watching this show:
Ok now I have to rewatch this now. I can't remember most of this stuff that happened lol

sbqCERp.jpg

Kuroko no Basket S2 22

Kiyoshi was baller and Attack on Mura is now go.

Next week should be when he
breaks the hoop
, so that'll be fun to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom