• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future Card Buddyfight 10

A buddy deck or whatever over your crotch. Hmmm, how silly.

I guess Tiger Shirt got a powerup now so hopefully he'll be less insufferable.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic 06

With the schoolmate hostages successfully rescued, only Sousuke, Chidori and that blonde dude are left trying to make their way back. Not much happened but I did see a lengthy Chidori pantyshot.

Nisekoi Episode 9: Hot Springs
BiPM-x_CQAE7or7.png

If only the other hot springs chp could be animated too for Raku. The bus ride was probably the most hilarious moment simply for the curves and the reactions, while the bath itself could have had a bit more on Raku

phaze

It's hard to gauge what you would think of the series were you to carry on. I knew a bunch of people that outright hated the show before the Yorkshin arc, which was the point where it became one of their favorites. Of course asking for someone to stick it out for that long could be unreasonable depending on the person's level of enjoyment beforehand.

[I will say that the Phantom Troupe deliver on pretty much every front.

You just had to say that. :) Hook, line and sinker. I went through all Shippuden filler so I'm not exactly very careful with my time. My great "catching up on anime" binge is coming to an end so I will give it a retry soon.

Cheers.

Huh, I thought the Hunter Exam had an excellent payoff, seeing how it did things much differently from many other Shounens.

Gon didn't pass with a triumph of the human spirit with your typical Shounen screaming, he was beaten severely and his opponent surrendered, therefore giving him the win. But that's what Gon didn't want.
Gon saw himself outmatched. Instead of giving up (like any sensible person would) and trying in the next match he perservered and won by the power of believe and not giving up. His opponent could have tortured him much more but saw some super quality in him and decided to gift him a win. Maybe not typical but hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Gon wanted to triumph over his opponent. He wanted to feel like won. His opponent walking away and him just suddenly passing must have done a huge blow to his pride. The victory felt completely empty. Not many other Shounens do this in the first arc!

I'm by no means an expert but I would say that wanting a fair fight and to truly earn a win is a staple quality of Shounen protagonists. Goku spared Vegeta and healed Cell, Ichigo wanted to let Ulqiorra cut off his arm.

As to why I was disappointed. I think being the traditionalist that I am I expected more in terms of battles. I do like them in my Shounen and so far we had pretty much only Hisoka and Killua one shotting everyone. Beside that I hoped they would shed a bit of light on Hisoka's goals and motivations. Oh and they robbed Leorio of a chance to show off. :p

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic 06

With the schoolmate hostages successfully rescued, only Sousuke, Chidori and that blonde dude are left trying to make their way back. Not much happened but I did see a lengthy Chidori pantyshot.

I think next episode is one of the better ones in the original FMP's run.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 13

Joseph Joestar is the real deal, but man, Santana isn't half the villain Dio Brando is. None of these chumps have measured up to Dio yet.

Mature

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 13

Joseph Joestar is the real deal, but man, Santana isn't half the villain Dio Brando is. None of these chumps have measured up to Dio yet.
It's hard to stand up to Dio, but I think by the end of this, you'll have some respect for the villain(s) of Battle Tendency.

CorvoSol

Don't forget that Battle Tendency is 16 episodes long.

I'm just saying. So far these villains have shown up, posed in their underwear, collected their checks and clocked out. Dio actually fucked with Jonathon and always had something cool to say or do.

Plus "SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" just doesn't sound as catchy.

Theonik

The setup of Battle Tendency is a lot different to Phantom Blood. Don't let that get to you though. It's hard to compete with the bastardness Dio gets to achieve by being able to make Jonathan miserable for most of his life. But they are colourful in their own way. And I don't wanna spoil.

CorvoSol

The setup of Battle Tendency is a lot different to Phantom Blood. Don't let that get to you though. It's hard to compete with the bastardness Dio gets to achieve by being able to make Jonathan miserable for most of his life. But they are colourful in their own way. And I don't wanna spoil.

I'm enjoying Battle Tendency, but it's all Joseph's show at the moment.

Quasar

Log horizon - 23

Log horizon this week was excellent ... every character was devellopped in a nice way nyanta serara , naotsugu - akatsuki ..and the list goes on. It's like they made sure to devellopp as much character as possible in a limited time frame ( while still following the book 5) ..

its' a job well done , especially in the multiple reaction faces.

I'm loving how the city was showed , there were a LOT of cameos if you paid attention , and a decent amount of forshadowing if you knew book 6 ...trully the amount of detail and respect for the source material really make me happy .

We even had the most DELICIOUS EYECATCH since the start of the anime.

So ,
Akiba is under attack , an attack so sneaky nobody saw it coming .. ep 24 & 25 are going to be very intresting :)

Yeah. I really liked this episode. And surprising how well it all jelled with all the threads it followed in the episode. And of course being a Henrietta/Shiroe shipper, that scene made me smile.

Witch Craft Works 09

I guess I wasn't expecting them to go to this arc for whatever reason but am looking forward to seeing an adaptation of this since it was kinda of a mess to get through in the manga.

I also liked the instrumental version of the ED showing up when the training center was revealed for the five helpless Tower witches in the middle of the episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do people not watch these finished products before pushing them to air?

Idina Menzel. I think she did alright. She nailed the notes at least.
My favorite rendition of it is actually sung by a dude. Hes in a metal band apparently and he has incredible range:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohD5z5mE0E
I was making a Travalitio joke!

Theonik

Mikakunin 09
Well this is going places! I dunno though some of the recurring jokes are getting a tad old perhaps but there seems to be more things going on now.
Also I somehow really like when characters explicitly announce dere status afflictions in shows.

duckroll

Do people not watch these finished products before pushing them to air?

They do. IIRC, they even apologized for it on Twitter either before it aired or just after it did. People making bad anime aren't blind. They're often not stupid either. But what can you do when you have a turd and you need to send it to air?

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic 07

Chidori knows.
This episode contains a mech with a pontail and LOTS OF COLORFUL AWESOME SHIT HAPPENED.
Chidori is so cute. Trufax.

Samurai Flamenco - 9

I love how this show is pretty much pointing and laughing at its own genre.

Like, it makes fun of the MOTW tropes of the people not giving a shit when they arrive, and how it became a routine.

And now Flamenco Diamond has been captured by King Torture along with that other newspaper dude.

And why is King Torture doing this? Because this is par for the course! Oh, who needs backstory and world-domination plots when HEY! WE'RE A MONSTER OF THE WEEK SHOW! We need to have a final battle, so lets have it NAO!

But like, there's still like, 13 episodes left! How the hell is this going to be resolved?

Mature

Yeah, Battle Tendency's villains will get more interesting later on, although they're still not as magnificent as Dio. Joseph's definitely the highlight of the arc.

Dio returns in Part 3 though! And Joseph! Best of both worlds!
I know Jojo is pretty old, but this seems like a bit of a double spoiler :<

Finalow

Mushishi - 17

I absolutely love when this show dives into its creepier supernatural side. Such a great episode.
that's the next one I have to watch, just finished ep. 16. that was sad.
this show is really good but damn this character design, they all look alike except for Ginko.

HappinessCharge Precure 6

Yuuko got back

This week's Cure:
Cure Egret

Stealth Yuuko Episode

CURE ROSETTA WEEPS
EVERYONE HAS SHIELDS! EVEN RIBBON! GET BENT!

Clearly Megumi isn't the one handling the potential harem/yuri baiting, because Yuuko is the real harem leader! I never heard of using Taiyaki for a casserole though. And looking at Yuuko's family, I'm really confused between the sister and the mother. Who is who? I'm dumb. Can't say that she's helping Hime's spoiled attitude since... she also enables her, but hey. She's awesome. Yuuko for best not-Hime of the HapChas.

Next time, new dresses and a party.
AND A TEAM ATTACK

Gazoinks

JoJo 10

The next thing you're going to say is Joseph Joestar is awesome!

Glad to start the part where Jojo's starts becoming really fun. Sugita was a great choice for Joseph.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They do. IIRC, they even apologized for it on Twitter either before it aired or just after it did. People making bad anime aren't blind. They're often not stupid either. But what can you do when you have a turd and you need to send it to air?
So is that like with video games, where they ship with "known shippables" because they can patch after release? lol

duckroll

Wizard Barristers - Episodes 5-8

I dropped this after ep4 because the split personality case was just so dumb and I had enough with the show being about Cecil molested by a pervy frog and working in a totally nonsensical incompetent legal system created just to tell stupid stories.

But somehow due to a lapse in judgement, I decided to catch up to the show. I.... think I actually enjoyed these 4 episodes I caught up on. It's sorta interesting how the show pairs her up with different people in the office for each case. The cases were still stupid and the legal stuff is nonsense, but the character development is surprisingly competent, even if it's simplistic.

In continues to remind me of edgy 90s OVAs filled with random action, terrible CG, and nonsensical plots which try all sorts of shit just to entertain. But it's also kinda fun. The sexual harassment mostly toned down to just verbal stuff. There's more and more PLOT involving the EVIL CONSPIRACY, and there are really cheesy super obvious scenes where people who are pretending to be innocent helpful characters are actually hiding DARK VILLAIN SECRETS. So 90s. Such dumb. Much fights. Woooooow.

With only 4 episodes left. No reason for me not to finish this now! My body is ready for anything Umetsu can throw at me!

Disclaimer: The real reason I was motivated to catch up was that I found out Masahiro Ando is storyboarding ep11 with Umetsu as the animation director apparently. I'm so weak. :(

I'm just saying. So far these villains have shown up, posed in their underwear, collected their checks and clocked out. Dio actually fucked with Jonathon and always had something cool to say or do.

Plus "SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" just doesn't sound as catchy.

You really shouldn't be approaching JoJo villains from different parts the same way. Remember, the series has 8 parts with (for the most part) different antagonists, each with wildly different personalities, motivations, etc.

But yes, none in the series are as iconic as Dio (though part 4's villain is pretty great).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom