• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Space Dandy 10-

office-space-flip-out-o.gif

Die Motherfucker, Die

Kuroko no Basket 2 22

And suddenly we are really fighting titans.

Wouldn't be an episode without some new challenge putting a gloom over all the good momentum we been having.

sonicmj1

I think these Space Dandy posts of people punching stuff are meant to be positive impressions that reflect the content of the episode. But since I haven't seen it, I have no idea.

Jarmel

Banned
What do you get when you add Office Space, Gundam, Groundhog Day, Endless Eight, and BTTF references?

You get the best episode of Space Dandy.

Crocodile

Garden of Sinners - Overlooking View

Well this made no fucking sense. I think in general I'm losing patience for writing and dialogue that is meant to sound "deep" but doesn't really makes sense on any level nor does it remotely resemble how people actually speak. Like for crazy shonen I can be more forgiving but even then that ends to involve posing and loud shouting not terrible metaphors and shit. For shows that have grounded interactions, even if they have supernatural elements, your words have to make fucking sense.

As is the norm for a ufotable production though, this looked and sounded awesome :)

Space Dandy 10

Probably the best episode of the show yet! AOTS and its not particularly close :)

I think these Space Dandy posts of people punching stuff are meant to be positive impressions that reflect the content of the episode. But since I haven't seen it, I have no idea.

Just watch the episode and you'll get the gif immediately :)

Jewelpet Tinkle 02

So we get introduced to this whole magic academy and what I guess will be the background goal for this series.

I think more interesting is how Akari is slowly gaining the confidence in herself that she's lacking.

NewFresh

if it were longer it'd [MESSAGE REDACTED]

I mean if [MESSAGE REDACTED] had not [MESSAGE REDACTED] when they [MESSAGE REDACTED] Then we wouldn't have seen [MESSAGE REDACTED] in the [MESSAGE REDACTED] using the [MESSAGE REDACTED] after he ate the [MESSAGE REDACTED] and then slipped on the [MESSAGE REDACTED] and ended up covered in sriracha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I liked the 1st couple chapters and then it all went to creepy territory.
Perhaps. But the way people talk about the manga they make it seem like it's a
Woody Allen
biography.

I obviously did....No, I really did :/
I did too. I just wonder how much of the "hate" for the manga is basically more Zac from ANN irrationality where people are yelling at something based on what they heard on the Internet or read on Wikipedia. lol

It's more like Watanabe pissing all over
Endless Eight
and then setting it on fire.
I wonder if I should watch this episode just to see what it's actually about outside of just being a reference.

Branduil

Timeskips inherently complicate character-based writing; it takes a uniquely skilled writer to pull one off in the middle of a story. There's a reason they're usually used at either the very beginning or very end.

And that's not even getting into the content of the timeskip itself.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Timeskips inherently complicate character-based writing; it takes a uniquely skilled writer to pull one off in the middle of a story. There's a reason they're usually used at either the very beginning or very end.

Rather than specifying the beginning or ending, I would say timeskips are usually used when a gap in the overarching plot is encountered, which often coincides with beginnings and endings, but is hardly limited to them.

CorvoSol

I am curious - how many people actually read the Usagi Drop manga after the time jump? lol

I didn't. You could not pay me money to ruin my good memories with that filth.

Sure didn't help Rowling any.

CorvoSol

That wasn't just the timeskip, though. The entire book sucked; the fanfiction-esque ending was just the cherry one top.

Honestly though, I felt Deathly Hallows was still better than Half Blood Prince, because at least things were happening. Good grief Half Blood Prince was such a disappointment. Almost as bad as the SUDDENLY SNAPE IS
A NICE GUY AND HARRY'S DAD IS A JERK AND THAT MAKES SNAPE BEATING UP HERMIONE OKAY.

Honestly though, I felt Deathly Hallows was still better than Half Blood Prince, because at least things were happening. Good grief Half Blood Prince was such a disappointment. Almost as bad as the SUDDENLY SNAPE IS
A NICE GUY AND HARRY'S DAD IS A JERK AND THAT MAKES SNAPE BEATING UP HERMIONE OKAY.

Honestly
considering how much of a shit Harry was to his friends, it's not really surprising his dad was a shit.

Branduil

Rather than specifying the beginning or ending, I would say timeskips are usually used when a gap in the overarching plot is encountered, which often coincides with beginnings and endings, but is hardly limited to them.

Yes, but those are much harder to handle, if you're not switching to a bunch of new characters, like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for instance. You spend time getting to know a group of people, and then they suddenly become strangers to you again. It's very difficult to write a story that way, just look at how much effort George R.R. Martin went to to avoid having a timeskip in his books.

Also, when did your tag change?

Branduil

Harry's dad was always a jerk though.

PoA > GoF > PS > CoS > HBP > OotP > DH

Branduil

Writing is full of timeskips. All too often we see it skip to "the next day", removing HOURS from the narrative!

Contextually, I thought it was obvious I was referring to timeskips of the excessively large, irregular variety, not literally saying that stories are usually told in real time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, but those are much harder to handle, if you're not switching to a bunch of new characters, like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for instance. You spend time getting to know a group of people, and then they suddenly become strangers to you again. It's very difficult to write a story that way, just look at how much effort George R.R. Martin went to to avoid having a timeskip in his books.

Also, when did your tag change?

I find that time skips in television tend to work as a way to at least blow things up and reset the status-quo. Before I hated BSG, "Fat Apollo" and the complacency of the humans after they decided to settle on some shithole planet was at least an interesting way to just move things forward.

Even the hard reboot of a show like Desperate Housewives by using a 5 year time skip was enough to get me to turn back in for a while when I had heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom