• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakura Trick - 08

OJhK6yP.png

Awesome episode like always. This show is junk food for my heart. :)

Should've had more Kotone x Shizuku in the second half. Kotone's outfit was so stylish and wanted to get more shots of it. :(

Westlo

@ C Warrior and OP GAF.

When's One Piece actually get good? Also are Strong World and Z pretty much alright to watch if I've only seen the first 10 episodes? I mean yeah I won't know fuck all of the cast outside the main 3 but like they could focus on them anyway in a 2 hr movie.

Also what episodes where the ones he was fighting the admirals in that uh...
execution
I watched about 3 episodes of that and that shit was piff.

@ C Warrior and OP GAF.

When's One Piece actually get good? Also are Strong World and Z pretty much alright to watch if I've only seen the first 10 episodes? I mean yeah I won't know fuck all of the cast outside the main 3 but like they could focus on them anyway in a 2 hr movie.

execution

Arlong Arc is the best of the early stuff and that starts at Episode 30.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nobunagun Episode 10:

I'll be honest, this was a pretty tepid episode, the foundations of DOGOO and indeed The Commander were really drawn out and boring and not much new was learned. Also, I fast-forwarded through about 5 minutes of shitty ship-teasing because I have had my fill of the stupid fucking practice.

So this is where it comes .... Future dairy & sengan kagura did parody this then ...

@ C Warrior and OP GAF.

execution

Oh no.... strong world shouldn't be watched until quite late ...
Strong world shoudln't be watched UNTIL episode 381 and it recommanded to be watched after ep 429 ( toei did made 4 fillers episodes for it after all ) ..you'll lose a lot of surprises if you watch it before that point... It is the 10 th OP movie after all.In general , most One piece movies should be watched when they came out , except the movie 1 & 3 that you should skip because they aren't that great.MOvie 6 is also a MUST SEE

Hapiness Charge Precure - 02

Quite a solid episode i'm glad to have saved up for this start as the quality of the show is still strong it seems ... Gonna enjoy catching up .

Happiness.Charge.Precure.02.jpg

You don't say

I hope that toei will properly use those costumes aside from a marketing element... this episode example was alright ... i hope that they don't forget about them afterwards ( because i still remember the seeds habilities from heartcatch and that was a wasted opportunity )

@ C Warrior and OP GAF.

execution

For the first few arcs, each one is better than the last, but it doesn't become top tier until Arlong in the 30s.

The reason not to watch Strong World and Z early is because it spoils who joins the crew. If you've already been spoiled on that, go for it, but if you haven't and have any interest in watching the TV series, I'd hold off.

I'm not sure that's really right though, Heaven's Arena isn't very interesting, and it really isn't much more than a training/exposition arc. Thankfully it's short and what comes after it is really good.

If you look at it with a standard shounen eye, it's a combination training/tournament arc. You could definitely call it the former in the long run, but it's really atypical for the genre. For one, it actually introduces the method of fighting in the series rather than just improving the character's proficiency at it. That makes it arguably the most important arc in the series.

Then there's the setup for other stuff like Hisoka's relationship with the Troupe and all that. There's a lot going on in it.

BluWacky

I wonder why OP in particular spawns such hyperbolic reactions

One Piece is generally regarded as the "best" endless shounen series, so it's not a huge surprise - and conversely the more people love it, the more virulent those who dislike it feel they have to be. To be fair I think Hunter X Hunter also gets its fair share of mega-hype these days too.

I remain slightly amazed that people have watched all 600+ episodes. I doubt there are many people in the original target audience who've done that!

Cwarrior

@ C Warrior and OP GAF.

execution

Early episode are pretty much character arcs before each members joins the crew it isn't until arlong park the crew comes together to function as one and the story beings to show it's more serious side.Before that it's good but gives off the impression of being goofy all the time.

I wouldn't recommend jumping around episode as one piece is heavily story driven to the point nearly every small detail is brought back & expanded upon and it also ruins a lot story surprises for yourself.

I would say start from where you left off (ep10) it's intended to be experienced from the beginning to get maximum enjoyment from it, you'll understand what I mean when the story starts to over deliver and continues to blow you away.

Strong world is targeted at those that have seen up to impel down(400 eps or so) and film z those that seen up fishmen island(570 eps).

I wonder why OP in particular spawns such hyperbolic reactions

You know maybe people aren't been hyperbolic.

cnet128

Banned
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda 9

Posting pictures of the actual best part of this episode (Kate <3<3<3) would probably get me banned, so instead here are a few moments that vaguely amused me.

Wh13uNX.gif

Asuta did you just eat a satsuma whole?! o_O

iqETVtY7yV8ra.png
iErk3uvxSP82T.png

White Light have some remarkable technology. Their masks even have a blush function built in!

aHD2QlK.gif

That monkey is one cool customer.

Butyeah, great episode. Though I was a little disappointed that
even though Renge found out all the secret identities, Asuta still has no idea about hers.

I remain slightly amazed that people have watched all 600+ episodes. I doubt there are many people in the original target audience who've done that!

I'm sure more people have switched over to the manga at this point. Reading 700 chapters at around 3-5ish minutes each would take a lot less time than watching 600 episodes at 20 minutes each (10-15 in the later episodes because of recaps).

cajunator

Banned
Sakura Trick - 08

Awesome episode like always. This show is junk food for my heart. :)

Should've had more Kotone x Shizuku in the second half. Kotone's outfit was so stylish and wanted to get more shots of it. :(

Still the purest and cutest show of the season.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda 9

Posting pictures of the actual best part of this episode (Kate <3<3<3) would probably get me banned, so instead here are a few moments that vaguely amused me.

Butyeah, great episode. Though I was a little disappointed that
even though Renge found out all the secret identities, Asuta still has no idea about hers.

World Conquest is everything I was hoping it would be so far.

One Piece is generally regarded as the "best" endless shounen series, so it's not a huge surprise - and conversely the more people love it, the more virulent those who dislike it feel they have to be. To be fair I think Hunter X Hunter also gets its fair share of mega-hype these days too.

i've watched + 476 episodes ... i stopped because i didn't have enough time ( and screw fillers ) i still plan to go back to where i stopped and watch them one day , but for now i'm following the story in manga only.

Cwarrior

I'm sure more people have switched over to the manga at this point. Reading 700 chapters at around 3-5ish minutes each would take a lot less time than watching 600 episodes at 20 minutes each (10-15 in the later episodes because of recaps).

We get a lot people on the Op thread that start from ep1 and go through all the episodes in a few months, people usually only start reading the manga once they run out of episodes to get there op fix.

Me I watch the anime then read the manga along side it, as I really like how the story developments are presented in the anime(direction,music,animation & voice acting) then the manga for cover story,art, colour spread,sbs Oda Q&A and comparison sake.

We get a lot people on the Op thread that start from ep1 and go through all the episodes in a few months, people usually only start reading the manga once they run out of episodes to get there op fix.

That's what happened to me. I got up to roughly Episode 530ish and lasted for only a little while longer before I stopped watching the anime and started reading the manga. It's much more convienient to read the chapters than to watch the anime which later on starts to spend roughly 5 minutes recapping everything.

Best shounen arc is probably DBZ Frieza arc. Bleach Soul Society arc was also amazing as was the Sasuke Retrieval Arc which ended with imo was one of the best fights I have ever seen in an anime series (Naruto vs Sasuke).

cnet128

Banned
Count me in as another person who caught up on OP through the anime, but ended up switching over to just the manga in the end.

I kept following the anime as well as the manga for quite a while, though. I think it was around episode 300 or so when I caught up, but I didn't completely give up on watching it until somewhere around the mid-400s.

Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Encore 9

That was a cute little love story they came up with. A-ko is precious.

I like how Q-kun's hair forms a subtle "Q", as well XD So contrived, yet perfect.

That gimmick of turning everything into a multiple-choice question would get really old really fast, though >.>

CorvoSol

Best shounen arc is probably DBZ Frieza arc. Bleach Soul Society arc was also amazing as was the Sasuke Retrieval Arc which ended with imo was one of the best fights I have ever seen in an anime series (Naruto vs Sasuke).

Frieza was the last time DBZ was any good, I felt. That or Cell. But by Buu saga even 12 year old me knew it was time to quit.

CorvoSol

I'd say Cell saga but Frieza arc was definitely where DBZ peaked.

Yeah, I can be at peace with that summary of it. It just got harder and harder for me as a kid to accept that Goku could fight a dude like Frieza who had conquered numerous planets but couldn't take a robot, and then they were like "BTW HERE IS MAGICAL CHEWING GUM." and I was like "OUT. I'M OUT."

That's what happened to me. I got up to roughly Episode 530ish and lasted for only a little while longer before I stopped watching the anime and started reading the manga. It's much more convienient to read the chapters than to watch the anime which later on starts to spend roughly 5 minutes recapping everything.

The recapping was fine during the first hundred of episodes and then around ep 230 , it got trully awefull .

-----------
Phi brain Puzzle of GOD S3- 23

This episode actually delivered pretty hard on the fan service but not the petty fan service , no it was character fanservice.

Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2023.jpg

Girl talk is the best :)

So the truth is out , but it's not a big deal since the plot require it and we do have some plot device to soften the blow... What should have been an angsty spiral of despair for the 2 main characters became a very impressive display of good dialog for characters that i've grew fond of since the start

And if you add the numerous great moments , like iwashimizu-kun "i'll be back" or Ana ,
Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2023_2.jpg

Trully girl talk is the best : ) Wait ......
Oh Ana , it's especially intresting to see that ratsel actually stole your role ( that was usually to bring kaito back on her senses if nonoha wasn't able to ) only to force an extra bond with ratsel like nobody except ana could.
Seriously that was great ..i'm not even Mad anymore since melancholy is back for an extra slot that only she can use .i mean
i certainly could accept the private plane easily , she was one of the financial support of the orpheus order after all , but i certainly wasn't ready for the submarine. If season 4 exist i want the space shuttle.

Overall this episode of phi brain will certainly won't please DTL but i loved it ...

Now it's puzzle of god time, i'm actually quite happy and surprised by the apparent rules, i was wondering what kind of puzzle they could bring to the table After hyping it up for like 73 episodes and they delivered ... i like the idea , not only because it's trully a puzzle only a god could make but because it's a duel puzzle and duel puzzles are always the best in Phi brain .

Cwarrior

Sure back when it came out in the early 90s it was the shit(also love the android/cell arc), it's been dethroned many times since then, now best arc is some One piece arc (impel down,enis lobby,soabondy,marineford,thriller bark) or Hunter x hunter arc(chimera ant,phatom troupe).

Obligatory Water7/Ennies Lobby arc is the pinnacle of the series in One Piece and has yet to be topped.

Easy when you spend 1 or 2 weeks of your middle school/high school break catching up on all the episodes and having a Sunday routine of watching the newest one.

Speaking of which...

EDIT: Well how about that.

No OP episode until next week.

Looks like I have a free 30 minutes to spend.

Sure back when it came out in the early 90s it was the shit, it's been dethroned many times since then, now best arc is some One piece arc (impel down,enis lobby,soabondy,marineford,thriller bark) or Hunter x hunter arc(chimera ant,phatom troupe).

i actually agree with this . Frieza arc was at the top for a long long time before someone could challenge it
Despite my love of One piece arcs that always have a great pay-off , the chimera arc in Hxh is unmatched on the sheer amount of things happenning that should have no impact of the plot yet did

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tough crowd.

Hmm, now you made curious. When should I watch the movies and OVAs? Open question.

Urusei Yatsura - 71

It became obvious to me
when other brothers weren't in the room, what can I do? I'm a late bloomer.

Urusei Yatsura - 72

Why don't we have more movies by the producer/director Ataru?
That underskirtmissile.gif came from this episode, if I could just find it.

rIu9ivC.gif

fwoosh!

jjTPzsFvxU5UO.jpg

This gif instantly makes me want to check this show out.

duckroll

Noragami - Episode 10

Noragami never disappoints. It's nice to have a reliable fun action show with good comedy and solid animation every weekend. They're finally moving forward with the anime original climax, and it's looking good. Lots of really nice character perspective layouts like the one above today. A number of really nice Noragami comedy faces too. The action was better animated than usual with some really nice fluid movement and showy swordplay. The fight in the preview looks even better though. Looks like we're finally going to get a one on one sword fight in the series next week. :D

----

Wizard Barristers - Episode 9

UoguvXJ.jpg

Believe it or not, this guy is NOT Tokiomi Tohsaka. Or is he? :)

Plot plot plot plot. Not particular good plot, but at least it's going to move stuff into place for the approaching climax which will hopefully give us lots of kickass action. Summoning Lucifer. More random occult sacrifices. Cecil being totally incompetent at being an actual lawyer and investigator. The dumbest questions being asked. Random molestation by a talking frog. Yup, this is an episode of a show by Umetsu. Lolz.

Not a ton of action this week, but they're certainly setting up the stage for something big.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tsugumi a best, don't fight it!

Give in to best girl Tsugumi

You know you want to.

Ahhhhh it so tempting!

Sure, Shaft does have the best blush technolgy. It's like other studios aren't even trying.

So good!

===================================================

Nisekoi - 09

Hot springs episode! Holy shit at Kyoko-sensei, I wanna see some artwork with her shipped with Tsugumi now. Tsugumi x Ruri would be nice too! Two new pairings found!

NeonZ

Sure back when it came out in the early 90s it was the shit(also love the android/cell arc), it's been dethroned many times since then, now best arc is some One piece arc (impel down,enis lobby,soabondy,marineford,thriller bark) or Hunter x hunter arc(chimera ant,phatom troupe).

Personally, most modern shounen series, like One Piece and Naruto (can't really comment Hunter x Hunter, as I've never read it) suffer from the authors thinking that they're greater than they actually are.

There's way too much focus on character motivations and backstory for something that'll just end in super powered fisticuffs anyway. Although one can say that it means the characters are more developed than Dragonball's, their development still isn't anything special, so the slow pacing seems mostly unnecessary and doesn't add much to the series.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hajime no ippo rising 21
Really interested in seeing where this story is gonna go, I feel something bad is gonna happen with the girl =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom