• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yes, but those are much harder to handle, if you're not switching to a bunch of new characters, like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for instance. You spend time getting to know a group of people, and then they suddenly become strangers to you again. It's very difficult to write a story that way, just look at how much effort George R.R. Martin went to to avoid having a timeskip in his books.

Also, when did your tag change?

Having just come from watching The Wind Rises, I was thinking along the lines of showing different stages in someone's life, for example. It reinforces, rather than dissipates, the character's ideals, traits, inspirations, or motivations. Of course, Mr. Miyazaki is rather more talented than the average anime tv director, so there's that to take into account.

Icarus-Heika-sama~ helped out a week or two ago :)

Narag

I mean if [MESSAGE REDACTED] had not [MESSAGE REDACTED] when they [MESSAGE REDACTED] Then we wouldn't have seen [MESSAGE REDACTED] in the [MESSAGE REDACTED] using the [MESSAGE REDACTED] after he ate the [MESSAGE REDACTED] and then slipped on the [MESSAGE REDACTED] and ended up covered in sriracha.

Someone capture this rabbit.

Theonik

I'm pretty sure familiars have something to do with it, though that concept was left out of the show for the better since I'm not sure what they would even do. You can see Yoshika's dog familiar in a lot of older art though.
The magic power of butts and animal ears, yes.
Both are correct. I think it was explained early on in the first episode even that their machine-guns are special in that they allow them to use their magic which is effective against the Neuroi.

I thought it was obvious my response to your response was not entirely serious in how seriously it was taking it, obviously.
I thought it was obvious that he was not serious about not thinking it was obvious your response was obviously not serious obviously.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill la Kill - 21 *3 Seconds In*

lRehNUu.gif
lRehNUu.gif
lRehNUu.gif
lRehNUu.gif
lRehNUu.gif

Branduil

I find that time skips in television tend to work as a way to at least blow things up and reset the status-quo. Before I hated BSG, "Fat Apollo" and the complacency of the humans after they decided to settle on some shithole planet was at least an interesting way to just move things forward.

Even the hard reboot of a show like Desperate Housewives by using a 5 year time skip was enough to get me to turn back in for a while when I had heard about it.

Well, I guess timeskips can't hurt it you already hate the show, LOL.

Having just come from watching The Wind Rises, I was thinking along the lines of showing different stages in someone's life, for example. It reinforces, rather than dissipates, the character's ideals, traits, inspirations, or motivations. Of course, Mr. Miyazaki is rather more talented than the average anime tv director, so there's that to take into account.

Icarus-Heika-sama~ helped out a week or two ago :)

Yeah, it works there, and it's obviously necessary in something like a biographical movie. I wasn't saying you can't do it, just that it's hard. Biographies at least have an advantage in that you know what to expect. It also helps that it's a series of regular timeskips instead of a single giant one in the middle of the story. Also see: Wolf Children and its brilliant use of time, especially the school montage in the middle of the film.

Bad timeskips tend to be more like "I don't know how to resolve this problem so I'm just going to skip way past it and deal with it later" or "It will be more exciting if I destroy everyone's understanding of the story and all of the character relationships and my name is Hideaki Anno so I can do what I want."

Gazoinks

Clannad: After Story 15

Nice episode. Kind of sweet but also kind of sad. Akio once again proves he is the best person in this show, in both comedy and drama. Nagisa only knows a single song.

Nagisa gon' die

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
ehehehehe wait for episode 21..

Sorry that was a typo on my part, I was referring to episode 21!

=================================

Kill la Kill - 21

After revealing that
Ryuuko and Satsuki are sisters
they went with the next
OTP ship I could root for.

That
kiss for luck.
FUCKING. NAILED. IT.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry that was a typo on my part, I was referring to episode 21!

=================================

Kill la Kill - 21

After revealing that
Ryuuko and Satsuki are sisters
they went with the next
OTP ship I could root for.

That
kiss for luck.
FUCKING. NAILED. IT.

ohhhhh YES.
I saved a screenshot of
Harime's reaction

Quasar

That wasn't just the timeskip, though. The entire book sucked; the fanfiction-esque ending was just the cherry one top.

What part was that? The epilogue? I didnt mind that...would have liked it longer. I felt the same way about the ValvRave epilogue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can see that. And I'm not opposed to that kind of story. Just that I feel Usagi was a poor choice for it.
Oh yes, which I think is fair.

I am curious about the critical reaction to the text in Japan anyway. I mean, it got an anime and a live action movie, so I wonder if people felt "betrayed" by the second half.

Timeskips inherently complicate character-based writing; it takes a uniquely skilled writer to pull one off in the middle of a story. There's a reason they're usually used at either the very beginning or very end.

And that's not even getting into the content of the timeskip itself.

I think you might be going a bit far with the "uniquely skilled" part, but timeskips are definitely a difficult thing to execute correctly. Much like flashbacks or non-linear storytelling, things that anime botch all the time.

Space Dandy 10

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. One of the better episodes this season. Meow's dad loves boobies. And the idiots continue to deliver

"WE HAVE SUPERPOWERS!" brilliant. I love this idiotic band

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh yes, which I think is fair.

I am curious about the critical reaction to the text in Japan anyway. I mean, it got an anime and a live action movie, so I wonder if people felt "betrayed" by the second half.

Would love to know the japanese reactions to it aswell if anyone can dig up anything

MarkusRJR

One Piece 25-36 (impressions from the last few episodes specifically)

Holy shit, Bellemore! My heart strings can't handle this. Episode 36 was so sad. Honestly one of the saddest episodes I've seen in a shonen before. I'm already raging at the navy going to take all of the treasure.

This show is getting really fucking good.

Jintor

The Aarlong Park arc truly is one of the pinnacles of shonen.

Kill la Kill 21 (first 3 seconds, updating post)

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT

Jintor

Kill la Kill 21

That whole thing was pffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttt

kinda awesome though still. lol i dunno. I like this show despite itself sometimes

MarkusRJR

Expect to bawl your eyes out on numerous occasions with this show. The feels will return

Holy shit. This show keeps getting better and better. I'm honestly blown away on all fronts. I came in with no knowledge beyond the main character's design and I couldn't be more impressed. This show is fucking incredible. I thought maybe the show would be kind of silly and blah like Naruto was, but nope. I legitimately feel the urge the marathon the rest of the arc despite how late it is.

One Piece 37-39 (lost track) spoilers:
That scene with Nami stabbing herself whilst crying and cursing Along was one of the most emotional scenes I've seen in an anime. I couldn't even attempt to stop the waves of feels it threw at me.

It's not really a typical training arc.

And Gon grows quite a bit as the series goes on.

But if you aren't enjoying it at all by this point, then yeah, probably a good idea to drop it.

I'm not sure that's really right though, Heaven's Arena isn't very interesting, and it really isn't much more than a training/exposition arc. Thankfully it's short and what comes after it is really good.

Moaradin

Heaven's Arena was great. It was short and sweet, introduced the interesting powers, and it had one of the best fights so far in the show.

I'm not sure that's really right though, Heaven's Arena isn't very interesting, and it really isn't much more than a training/exposition arc. Thankfully it's short and what comes after it is really good.

Heaven's Arena was Hunter at its most traditionally shonen in the sense that it was relatively straight-forward and battle focused, but it did it so well that I enjoyed it.

Jintor

Log Horizon 23

Wow, that was a far better episode than last. The focus on slice of life while setting up the next plot arc was perfectly executed, we got to see a huge number of characters doing whatever, the city felt really alive and there sure was a hell of a lot of it. Meanwhile the economic warfare angle was slowly developed throughout and finally paid off at the end. Great pacing.

I also realised that Shiroe would probably not be a terrible cosplay since I don't have to remove my glasses and jam contacts in my eyes

Holy shit. This show keeps getting better and better. I'm honestly blown away on all fronts. I came in with no knowledge beyond the main character's design and I couldn't be more impressed. This show is fucking incredible. I thought maybe the show would be kind of silly and blah like Naruto was, but nope. I legitimately feel the urge the marathon the rest of the arc despite how late it is.

That scene with Nami stabbing herself whilst crying and cursing Along was one of the most emotional scenes I've seen in an anime. I couldn't even attempt to stop the waves of feels it threw at me.

One more One Piece believer. Good.

Jintor

SYD s2 09

Lol. Uomi toying with Tsuda is hilarious. Shino being mad jelly, also hilarious.

Their former senpai was pretty funny. Was amused by how she wasn't actually a huge pervert like Shino and Aria, but was still almost equally weird.

jgminto

I think next episode is one of the better ones in the original FMP's run.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 13

Joseph Joestar is the real deal, but man, Santana isn't half the villain Dio Brando is. None of these chumps have measured up to Dio yet.

Ha, Santana? Villain? Don't make me laugh. He's on the level of Jack the Ripper.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 22:

Alright, training season is over and the grand summer tournament begins in earnest and we finally get to see all the work Seidou has been putting in actually matter now. Yes, I rather like this.

Nafe

Urusei Yatsura - 72
Why don't we have more movies by the producer/director Ataru?
That underskirtmissile.gif came from this episode, if I could just find it.

rIu9ivC.gif

fwoosh!

Tokyo Encounter - 03
Sugita playing Love Plus+, plus he choose Manaka, I choose her too. I love her voice too...I shouldn't be so honest like Sugi-sama. (つ//ω//⊂ )
#dead

jjTPzsFvxU5UO.jpg

That makes me think of this,haha.

I really like Saori Hayami's voice work as well though. She's doing the voice for Aila right now in Gundam Build Fighters. <3

It's one of the most misogynist anime ever, but then again that's probably the biggest plus fo--nah I've said enough.

Exactly. The fact that someone can go and say that a girl shouldn't ever hit a guy and context or reasons shouldn't matter other than maybe a fight show, otherwise it's just terrible and an act of extreme oppression and sexual assault. They then go and recommend that show to people saying it's good,underrated and they see no problems with it, along with claiming the fact that the most misogynistic character is the best just makes one shake their head.

cnet128

Banned
ImoCho 10

Oh, it's one of those episodes. Fighting/running away from home always strengthens friendship.

Slightly disappointing that we never actually got to see the horrors of
the "updated" TST
, though I suppose there's something to be said for leaving things to the imagination... Presumably it will be shown in all its twisted glory on the disc release.

Oh, and interesting that Yuuya finally
acknowledged Hiyori's existence in front of Mitsuki
. Surely one of these days he's going to have to
actually interact with Hiyori himself...?

Westlo

Hayashi da gawds Build Fighters ost....

d99.jpg

Heaven's Arena was great. It was short and sweet, introduced the interesting powers, and it had one of the best fights so far in the show.

Yeah Heaven's Arena was pretty damn good, it does get overshadowed by the next arc and for good reasons but it didn't outstay its welcome, was enjoyable enough and had an amazing fight to cap it.

Cwarrior

giphy.gif

If your blown away now then not even the gods can help for what is to come.

The Aarlong Park arc truly is one of the pinnacles of shonen.
Well, it's one of the best parts of One Piece, at least.

When it comes to rank your top one piece arcs, arlong park is rarely ever mentioned in anyones top lists, great arc but every arc after is better then it, it wouldn't scratch my top 10 one piece arcs lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom