• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hapiness Charge Precure 04

Pretty good episode again , Following Hime troubles.
Happiness.Charge.Precure.04.jpg

lool

That part with the teacher was pretty clever even if "normal" by precure standards.
Overall Hime struggles to make friends was well done with a few sub plot started ..

Very nice.

Quite happy to see that they keep using the secondaries costumes. GOTTA GET THEM ALL !

CorvoSol

Melody of Oblivion 8

And her tattoo is on her inner thigh. And she gets all blush faced as she draws her arrow across it to charge up her attack. I'm trying hard not to see this for what it is.

Hapiness charge precure - 05
Zelos, what are you doing in precure !

Hime why are you acting like a cat ?

" i feel warm and fuzzy when i'm with you !"

YEEEEEEEEEEES

" it's frienship !"

..........Well........

Melody of Oblivion 8

And her tattoo is on her inner thigh. And she gets all blush faced as she draws her arrow across it to charge up her attack. I'm trying hard not to see this for what it is.

You're in the first part Corvo ? Then maybe you'll like the second part of this anime.

cnet128

Banned
Nobunagun 10

Fuck yeah dat Shio taking charge like an absolute boss and putting everyone in their place. I just wish she hadn't needed that little heart-to-heart with Jack of all people to inspire her to do it. That pairing really ought to die.

Backstory on the commander was interesting too. That woman is...even older than she looks.

Midonin

Time for a weekend catch up. Long post incoming.

No-Rin 09

Minori must have done something to anger Thor. That's the only explanation for why things turned out the way they did.

Wake Up, Girls! 09

If I-1 wasn't already establishing themselves as the Sith of the idol business, this episode cemented it. Glad to see some progress with this group.

Strike the Blood 21

Kojo just can't stop the girls from joining his harem, even if they are an immortal alchemist who wants to make Asagi walk around without clothes. Amusing episode, though I wonder where this arc is going to go from here. Also, some mild :SDBurton levels here.

Sakura Trick 09

That phone call segment was a nice example of a bottle episode, and also adorable. The school closing down continues to provide some gravitas when it needs to, but for the most part, I know exactly what I'm in for, and I love it. And more Kaede and Yuzu, that's good.

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live 48

nyo32mLl.jpg

Bell and Wakana rocked, this episode was amazing. I love seeing Wakana's happy family, and Bell ascending Everest was also a pretty great sequence. Wakana may have failed, but she failed by riding a lion.

Nisekoi 09

Hot springs episode, everything I'd expect from one. Having to swim past Kosaki for the final challenge was a nice bit of lewdness.

World Conquest 09

Zvezda has basically turned into Shocker. Secret identities being revealed everywhere. I really enjoyed it, and it's only the first entry on this list with an Egret. I wonder what fate has in store for Renge and Asuta - they're the only ones who have some idea of the full picture outside their own circles.

ImoCho 10

So Hiyori has some clout with the heavenly chorus. A surprisingly emotional episode, all things considered. Also odd that of all the anime airing this season, this one gets a live action movie.

Tesagure! Bukatsumono Encore 09

If life was delivered in a series of quizzes, would there be lifelines? I enjoyed the gag about "the hero's friend has all the info on all the girls in the school", too. So much good metahumor to be had.

Happiness Charge Precure! 06

Now this is what I was waiting for. A cooking episode and a fight with the mascot episode are expected, but Hime and Ribbon's rapport, with them being so comfortable even when fighting, was cute. Macadamia Hula Dance appeared outside of CGI (hooray!) and Yuyu is the best. The moment when she becomes a Cure is going to be something special. Also, hello, Mai!

Nobunagun 10

Appreciate the backstory, and Sio's intuition was really cool. She's struck the right balance of a heroine who's competent, but also incredibly dorky. Though her true love is obviously Asao.

Wizard Barristers 09

"You were already dead."
Now the plot stuff starts coming in. Hopefully it doesn't resolve itself too messily. Especially when the apparent revival of Satan himself is being planned by a cult with an elaborate, six-year scheme. I still find the show enjoyable.

Saki The Nationals 09

More Maaya Uchida! This final match is going to be intense, especially if we have three more episodes to spread it out in. Sae, you did your best. Looking forward to another cameo from the Achiga girls or maybe Teru before the season's up.

Tonari no Seki-kun 10

So that's how it looks to outsiders. I hope we get to see what all of their classes look like. Even within the school, there's enough environments for Seki to do anything. Gives a new meaning to miniature golf, doesn't it?

Gravity

Great movie. Enjoyed the story with themes of
loss and rebirth
, and the visual effects were really good. The use of 3D in this movie was some of, if not the, best I've seen. Great use of music and sound. Dunno if it's that anime though. Seemed to be a bit videogame too if one want to do these kinds of comparisons.

All in all I give it 3/5 anime + 2/5 videogame, so 5/5 in total:
vFXr21T.png
vFXr21T.png
vFXr21T.png
6SINR5L.png
6SINR5L.png

BluWacky

But I don't know. There's something about why all of this sucks as a whole that I can't put my finger on.

It's meaningless, essentially. For whatever reason, Nishikiori and Enokido emulate the Ikuni school of art and script here, but forget to invest any of it with any significance beyond what you actually see on the screen. I don't know how much can be blamed on the original manga story, but the basic story material is too shallow to support the execution, and despite the occasional clever idea it essentially only works on a textual, rather than subtextual, level. But by dressing it up in a sub-Utena coat it just makes a relatively pedestrian shounen/seinen adventure seem bizarre.

cnet128

Banned
Space Dandy 10

Well, that was quite a novel way of escaping from a loop.

Also, this season keeps bringing the :sdburton even in the most unexpected of places XD

Saki - the nationals - 09

We all knew she was broken as possible it was obvious ... But goddam
Saki%20-%20The%20Nationals%20-%2009.jpg

No innutendo needed ....
THAT IS THE VERY BROKEN TERRITORY

Problem is that her trap must pass when she annonces it but it's very hard to counter not to mention that nobody will cut her trap since it's not directed at anyone but the first riichi dealer...it's diabolik , Broken , overpowered but still fair AND I FREAKING LOVE IT.
We still have a lot of thing before the end of this match but really ...what a broken hability lol

I was rooting for the miko at the start but i can't help but want them to win , so we can have the most broken finale possible in the end.

CorvoSol

It's meaningless, essentially. For whatever reason, Nishikiori and Enokido emulate the Ikuni school of art and script here, but forget to invest any of it with any significance beyond what you actually see on the screen. I don't know how much can be blamed on the original manga story, but the basic story material is too shallow to support the execution, and despite the occasional clever idea it essentially only works on a textual, rather than subtextual, level. But by dressing it up in a sub-Utena coat it just makes a relatively pedestrian shounen/seinen adventure seem bizarre.

Oh, uh. Didn't even realize that Utena was what they were going for here at all. A really, really boring shonen story where neither the world nor the quest seem to be interesting or particularly well conceived is a way I would describe this show, though. That's true.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
One Piece is generally regarded as the "best" endless shounen series, so it's not a huge surprise - and conversely the more people love it, the more virulent those who dislike it feel they have to be. To be fair I think Hunter X Hunter also gets its fair share of mega-hype these days too.

I remain slightly amazed that people have watched all 600+ episodes. I doubt there are many people in the original target audience who've done that!
It's not a question of intensity, but of investment. You do not watch multiple hundreds of episodes without wanting the show to be good, and for many people, including myself, the cognitive dissonance breaks and you realize that most of the time that wanting was all you had. One Piece had legitimately great moments, but also interminable stretches of substandard product. The aspects of shows like One Piece I'm down on are from this sense of disappointment.

Speaking of wading through a show, as much as I love Urusei Yatsura overall, I fully understand that getting people to overcome the first twenty-something episodes is a challenge. Yet with these shows simply spotting it tens of episodes multiple times is expected. The bar is simply lower.

Sekai Seifuku 9
A fun hot springs episode with a surprising amount of action for this kind of episode.

And what the hell is up with that scene of
Yasu speeding past White Falcon? Keep that scumbag away from her! ;_;

I'm pretty sure that's hinting towards their history with the chief and the sisters prior to the whole conquest.

Samurai Flamenco - 12

Goto, don't you think your girlfriend might flip her shit if she finds out that there's a teenage pop idol living in your closet?

I mean I'm just saying!

This show has gone full power rangers now. Like what the hell. How does a show go from being a somewhat realistic and interesting superhero-in-the-real-world scenario to a monster of the week, and then to power rangers?

You are one unique creation Samurai Flamenco. But really, I think you've pulled all the stops at this point. I mean it's not like you can get even more-

"Deluxe Mode"

DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki - the nationals - 09

We all knew she was broken as possible it was obvious ... But goddam

THAT IS THE VERY BROKEN TERRITORY

Problem is that her trap must pass when she annonces it but it's very hard to counter not to mention that nobody will cut her trap since it's not directed at anyone but the first riichi dealer...it's diabolik , Broken , overpowered but still fair AND I FREAKING LOVE IT.
We still have a lot of thing before the end of this match but really ...what a broken hability lol

I was rooting for the miko at the start but i can't help but want them to win , so we can have the most broken finale possible in the end.

I think I'm going to start reading the manga at this point because I don't know if I wait a week for the next episode.

===========================

Robot Girls Z - 07-09 [END]

ff1OfPl.png

:sdburton

Solid finish to a very entertaining short series. And now I'm sad because I want more. ;_;

fwoosh!

jjTPzsFvxU5UO.jpg

That makes me think of this,haha.

I really like Saori Hayami's voice work as well though. She's doing the voice for Aila right now in Gundam Build Fighters. <3

Thanks, that's the gif. My google-fu is terrible, I searched for it but couldn't find it.
As for your Ayase reaction.
MKpgEyC.gif

========================================

Tokyo Encounter

I have a newfound respect for Sugita...and Nakamura...and all the Guests.
And Norio Wakamoto, because everyone is Chuu.
Fuck Sugita, now I want to play Amagami...

Urusei Yatsura - 79
TSMzPad.jpg

This is going to keep happening, right?
I love how Ryoko is all about trolling everyone, her kurokos too. Mendou keep jumping.
Poor Ryuunoske, her father doesn't lose a chance to lie to her.
Remember that story about Shinobu being waifu material...forget it.

Urusei Yatsura - 80
3fXkRnn.jpg

Neko Lum.

I was going to talk about how Ataru, Lum, Mendou, and Shinobu always end up in these run down inns even if Mendou is rich, but if it's for a beatiful lady, that's enough of a reason.
Haha, she couldn't even go first to try and scare the old couple, keep trying to scare them Otama.
What the hell is Ataru?

Urusei Yatsura - 81
vST8jlp.jpg

That's Ichinose-san. PARUTO PARUTO.
Love me mooore. The new eyecatch is nice.
Poor Ryuunosuke,
her father is in another league. Getting her as many mothers as possible.

Urusei Yatsura - 82

Urusei Yatsura - 83

What happened to Jariten? He's totally diferent.

Urusei Yatsura - 84

I? What? Killer potatoes?
Now I know why it's better to go to the run down inns than Mendou's family's mountain lodge.

Urusei Yatsura - 85
Haha, Lum was a tomboy. Her, Ran, Benten and Oyuki pretty much were a gang
but they couldn't win even if they tried against their teacher, a giant, robot chalkboard eraser named CAO-2.
This one waas pretty fun.

Urusei Yatsura - 86
N2gO2Nu.jpg
rugI68k.jpg

Ryuunosuke kicking butt.
Time travel hijinks.
So Mendou is at falt for his only weakness??
Damn, Megane and Perm got lucky.

Urusei Yatsura - 87

"WOW! The Mysterious Matsutake Mushroom Soup!"
#dead

Urusei Yatsura - 88

There are just so many ways to say I'm sorry. Ten still looks strange.

Urusei Yatsura - 89
mfOPMRW.jpg

Cooking...

Ataru finally saw the light!

===================================================
tql1zet.gif

Guys, I hate Sundays.

Lurky

I think I'm going to start reading the manga at this point because I don't know if I wait a week for the next episode.

If you read the manga, I suggest only reading up till where this season will end. Having to wait for Ritz to release more chapters is one of the most painful things in my life right now.

BluWacky

It's not a question of intensity, but of investment. You do not watch multiple hundreds of episodes without wanting the show to be good, and for many people, including myself, the cognitive dissonance breaks and you realize that most of the time that wanting was all you had. One Piece had legitimately great moments, but also interminable stretches of substandard product. The aspects of shows like One Piece I'm down on are from this sense of disappointment.

I understand this completely. Comments like (may be an exaggerated example) "just watch the first forty episodes and you'll LOVE IT!" or "skip the filler arc of twenty episodes or so, it wasn't very good" confuse me - I'm under no obligation to watch this stuff, and it's not worth suffering through interminable stretches of mediocre nothing IMO, particularly in the case of One Piece and their ilk where the characterisations and genre tropes of shounen don't really do very much for me anyway.

Speaking of wading through a show, as much as I love Urusei Yatsura overall, I fully understand that getting people to overcome the first twenty-something episodes is a challenge. Yet with these shows simply spotting it tens of episodes multiple times is expected. The bar is simply lower.

Clearly large numbers of people don't find them that much of a chore to watch through or they'd just stop. No-one's going to punish you for stopping watching a TV show, after all. Did you find those first twenty episodes of Urusei Yatsura tedious and only slog through them because you knew what was coming, or do they just seem poor in retrospect?

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkann - Episode 6

Thought it was a bit risky of Hana to
show herself doing magic in front of someone else. Although they thought it was a dream so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Jex

[Oh! Edo Rocket] - 6

When watching the first few episodes of this series, and especially the opening, you'll probably find yourself asking the question: "How does this all hold together? It shouldn't work - and yet it does!".

For those who aren't in the know, this is a series about a fireworks maker in 1800's Japan who finds himself tasked to build fireworks that will reach the moon by a mysterious women. Which is, of course, it's impossible. It's also a comedy on every level - rapid fire gags, slapstick, word play, breaking the 4th wall, anachronisms and constant references to how it's an animation. It's also a series about super powered men hunting alien serial killers. It's also a romance and a drama, often in the same episode, Gintama style. There's multiple characters in multiple factions working towards different goals and there's even some vague political intrigue with puppet masters pulling strings.

The reason any of this works is because of masterful scriptwriting and direction on the behalf of the staff who manage to keep all the plates spinning at the same time which is certainly no easy task. However, eventually you have to have to pass the direction and storyboarding jobs over to some less experienced staff and the results are unsurprisingly, disappointing. It takes a pretty high level of craft to keep the whole thing from falling over and when it's not in the right hands it's kind of an unruly. gigantic mess. I kind of feel bad for the less experienced and less talented staff members who had to work on this because unlike, say, a bog standard rom-com or shounen filler or what have you, standard direction and editing won't cut it here. It just doesn't work.

Still, the consistently of the script manages to pull everything few so even though about a dozen gags and important character moments were effectively tarnished the episode as a whole is still watchable and it serves it's purpose.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If you read the manga, I suggest only reading up till where this season will end. Having to wait for Ritz to release more chapters is one of the most painful things in my life right now.

Oh man is it on hiatus? :(

========================================

Seitokai Yakuindomo* (Season 2) - 09

Seriously, Hata is the best character outside of the main cast. While sensei is awesome and definitely in my top faves, her jokes are inconsistent in contrast to the journalism psycho who can get draw a laugh out of you at her every appearance.

I understand this completely. Comments like (may be an exaggerated example) "just watch the first forty episodes and you'll LOVE IT!" or "skip the filler arc of twenty episodes or so, it wasn't very good" confuse me - I'm under no obligation to watch this stuff, and it's not worth suffering through interminable stretches of mediocre nothing IMO, particularly in the case of One Piece and their ilk where the characterisations and genre tropes of shounen don't really do very much for me anyway.

This is obviously going to vary from person to person, but I see the whole "watch the first x amount of episodes" comment not so much as a request to force yourself through something, but see if it's something you could really enjoy based on what's already been established. A LOT of good stuff is completely uninteresting in the beginning regardless of medium, but stuff actually happens, which is how buildup works sometimes. It's not always about the pay-off being great, but the buildup being enjoyable as well.

On the subject of One Piece, this is pretty much how my early episode impressions went.
1-10ish: well this is pretty goofy, but it's kind of fun and the world is neat. Think I'll watch more.
11-20ish: whoa, that villain was a lot meaner than the other guy and the fight was cool. This show might actually be legit.
21-30ish: Oh shit, the scale just got upped a lot. With a tease like that, I HAVE to keep watching.
31-40: This is the best series ever! It's not just about adventure and fights, but great character moments too, which makes the adventure and fights more meaningful!

Sure it's an investment and no one is obligated to check out anything, but people can gauge their level of enjoyment from something and whether the pay-off and good:bad ratio is worth that investment. I would say a few tens of episodes of meh is more than worth suffering through for hundreds of episodes of awesome. That's just me though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pacing is a common theme when talking about such shows, but it's really just another way of describing their ability to consistently deliver, because the shows that don't show any particular promise aren't given much consideration to begin with, even if they don't waste the viewer's time in that manner.

Clearly large numbers of people don't find them that much of a chore to watch through or they'd just stop. No-one's going to punish you for stopping watching a TV show, after all. Did you find those first twenty episodes of Urusei Yatsura tedious and only slog through them because you knew what was coming, or do they just seem poor in retrospect?
I dropped the show for a while because it was a slog and I didn't know how much the show would improve over its second season, although coming off of Maison Ikkoku and carrying expectations from that show definitely hurt too.

Anyway, it's not that you'll be punished, but that you'll never see what was supposed to make it all worthwhile. We're all in pursuit of entertainment, after all, and being anime fans means we're no stranger to putting up with something as long as it balances out in the end. I just think that it needn't devolve into an abusive relationship.

wsippel

Banned
Dunno why, but I'm watching Strike Witches right now. I get why Hartmann is in this, considering he's the Ace of Aces - and he wasn't actually a nazi, which is why he was a high ranking officer in the post-war Luftwaffe as well (same thing with Barkhorn and Rall, the second and third most successful fighter pilots of all time), but they actually have Rudel in this as well!? Japan really doesn't give a fuck. Rudel was definitely one of the greatest pilots of all time, but he was also completely insane and a nazi to the bone.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sure it's an investment and no one is obligated to check out anything, but people can gauge their level of enjoyment from something and whether the pay-off and good:bad ratio is worth that investment. I would say a few tens of episodes of meh is more than worth suffering through for hundreds of episodes of awesome. That's just me though.
Except that's not an accurate description of the situation, but the reverse of it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iDOLM@STER - the overall best one. Unrelated but it deserves credit for being one of the only good videogame adaptions in existence.

AKB0048 - This is entertainment. Deserves credit for having Brits as the leading girls (well "Brits" since they are from the planet Lancastar rather than the real Lancaster)

Love Live - The one that embraces IDOLCULTURE

Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! (iDOLWR@STLER) -
ibgCO3Q8uylAiq.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom