• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

If you want to write about art style you should discuss why five-tone shading is the bee's knees and as a result all animator's today are hacks compared to their 80s equivalents.

Flatshading is a communist conspiracy to steal our precious bodily fluids.

Jintor

i watched 10 episodes (i think?) of oreimo and couldn't stand it. Something about the sister's best friend basically unequivocally rejecting her nerdiness? I don't recall.

I just knew I wasn't going to enjoy it.

cnet128

Banned
I know, right?

All the episodes were good and the characters themselves were certainly likable.

Kyousuke was a legitimately good brother, even if he did have that occasional stupid moment, he still proved his worth by the end. Kirino, while admittingly not the nicest of people, was absolutely cute when she went full Otaku and let her guard down around her big brother. Manami was sweet but a little too plain for my taste. Her family on the other hand was awesome. Grandpa should have gotten more screen time then only a few minutes. Sena too. God bless Sena and her fujoshi ways. Though no one can stand up to thy lovely angel Ayase. Seeing the birth of a yandere is always a beautiful moment and Ayase pulled it off spectacularly. Can't forget Kuro either. She was so adorable, especially in those last three episodes. Wouldn't have minded if Kyousuke had gotten together with her after bringing Kirino back.

Only thing that bothered me is that we never got to see Saori's true face. Bummed when they didn't even let us see in the last episode.

I see what you did there.

jman2050

Oreimo was far more fun to read reactions to than to actually watch.

Especially the volume when
Ruri broke up with the dude.
That was a riot.

Narag

Princess Tutu 1

And because I am a stunted, inarticulate, unintelligent, slothful, brutish individual, all I really have to say about the content of this episode is that this was basically the opening to a mecha series except with a tutu instead of a mech at the moment where Duck saves the guy from falling. That's not to say that it's bad. Lord knows there are worse ways to start your mecha series. Just that it did feel fairly standard.

Hey you caved. The "What I expected..." image holds though. Just give 'er time.

Short Peace

Buki yo Saraba

That was good. As a scifi and military fan, I appreciated the detailed futuristic weapons, gadgets, mechs, suits, etc, all of them done in a way that didn't seem far-fetched but possible and grounded, while still having lasers and stuff. Not that strange when they used a fair amount of real life technology or close extrapolations (from laser guided bombs and hellfire missiles, to micro-flying drones and flexible cameras). Also a good deal of realism transpired thanks to detailed procedures, from how they communicated and acted as a team, to the leader coordinating the action, to how they formed to walk down the street. I was positively giddy when I saw them recover the UAV on the go with a net.

But apart of geeking out, it also had good visuals and animation, tense and spectacular action scenes, and a sharp direction with some very cool moments, and even if we had very little time with the characters, it established perfectly the air of camaraderie and veterans on the field with few minutes.

Tsukumo

A little animated short. It's kind of amusing, likeable in his simplicity. I can't say a lot to not spoil the little plot it has. The 3d style without the flat celshading was weird at first and but it won me in the end.

Hi no Youjin

The Otomo work. Though it has a bit more of heart than the previous short in its core story, it doesn't exactly develop it a good deal,
as before any resolution in the characters, the fire engulfs everything. kinda the point, maybe? I'm not sure. It was a real catastrophe, think all the lives with their little dramas and passions and miseries that the fire finished off, without any kind of proper resolution in them,
The visuals are lovely, and the atmosphere is well done.

I will watch the other one, Gambo, tomorrow.

cnet128

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 22

Welp. I think Midousuji has quite conclusively proven that he is every bit as batshit psycho as his appearance suggests. Definitely one of those villains it's a pleasure to hate. Let's hope we get to see Imaizumi take him down, and hard.

Narag

Give me the fluffy tails Seven Arcs!

Announced 2012. This must be how GRRM fans felt reading this:

olkadt5l.png

CorvoSol

personally i would write about soft power, but i come from a stronger international studies background... in that sense.

i hate writing about artstyle anyway, it's so subjective

Dude it's all about hard power. Traditional security and hard-line realism are all you need anyway, because then you never have to think about actual problems.

Hey you caved. The "What I expected..." image holds though. Just give 'er time.

Listen to me Narag because I'm telling you this as someone who can no longer be saved.

You don't make deals with these people, man. One day you say "Oh sure I'll watch Kino's." And the next you're like "Oh well fair's fair I better watch Tutu while I'm at it."

And one morning you wake up in bed next to madp and a copy of Sailor Moon and have no idea what happened for the last week.

Princess 22 2

And then there was an ant eater in a ballet dress.

Jintor

At first but she soon accepts her friend for who she is.

eh. i was already leaning away when brosef fell over and landed with one hand on sis's breast.

coneceptually i thought it sounded interesting (well, not the sister shipping stuff) but there was something... off about the whole production that just drove me away.

Love Live! 1

Your SCHOOL IS CLOSING DOWN AND WE MUST STOP IT BECAUSE FIRST YEARS NEED TO BE SENPAIS NEXT YEAR! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO!

LETS FORM AN IDOL GROUP! Everyone goes Bitch please. So now this school must become Starlight Academy in order to take on Dream Acadamy or else face forclosure.

Speaking of which, it's time to start something else i've been sitting on.

Mr.Jeff

Things that will never be made:

Rozen Maiden s3
Birdy Decode s3
Spice & Wolf s3
Dreaming Machine
Despera
Baccano S2
Full Metal Panic S4
Banner of the Stars S4
Twelve Kingdoms S2
Kino's Journey S2
Seirei no Moribito S2
Sketchbook S2

What a depressing list. Although considering what Sunrise might do to it, I'm glad Banner 4 will never get made. Baccano S2 would be difficult as well because it only worked as well due to its odd chronology I think.

cajunator

Banned
Dude it's all about hard power. Traditional security and hard-line realism are all you need anyway, because then you never have to think about actual problems.

Listen to me Narag because I'm telling you this as someone who can no longer be saved.

You don't make deals with these people, man. One day you say "Oh sure I'll watch Kino's." And the next you're like "Oh well fair's fair I better watch Tutu while I'm at it."

And one morning you wake up in bed next to madp and a copy of Sailor Moon and have no idea what happened for the last week.

Princess 22 2

And then there was an ant eater in a ballet dress.

You did it cause ya loves me Corvy
*hugs

Narag

Tutu is actually legit though. Watched that shit when I was getting back into the hobby and was amazed.

eh. i was already leaning away when brosef fell over and landed with one hand on sis's breast.

coneceptually i thought it sounded interesting (well, not the sister shipping stuff) but there was something... off about the whole production that just drove me away.

The OVAs for season 1 were pretty entertaining since it basically removed the cancer from the show.

Well until it ends and brings back the cancer so it can go into season 2.

i watched 10 episodes (i think?) of oreimo and couldn't stand it. Something about the sister's best friend basically unequivocally rejecting her nerdiness? I don't recall.

I just knew I wasn't going to enjoy it.

If you only saw 10 episodes that means you didn't see the final episode of season 1 which was fantastic. Kyosuke's dialog with his friend after he runs into him buying the BL game is hilarious.

Jintor

i don't continue anime i feel like i'm forcing myself to watch. Even OP's first 40 episodes or whatever, which definitely aren't its strong suit, were still pretty enjoyable. OreImo was like a chore.

Baccano S2
Full Metal Panic S4
Banner of the Stars S4
Twelve Kingdoms S2
Kino's Journey S2
Seirei no Moribito S2
Sketchbook S2

What a depressing list. Although considering what Sunrise might do to it, I'm glad Banner 4 will never get made. Baccano S2 would be difficult as well because it only worked as well due to its odd chronology I think.

We've got Mushishi S2; who needs anything else?

Lurky

Good. Don't ever finish that horrid show.

Baccano S2
Full Metal Panic S4
Banner of the Stars S4
Twelve Kingdoms S2
Kino's Journey S2
Seirei no Moribito S2
Sketchbook S2

Binbougami Ga! S2
Moyashimon S3

I'd really like these to get made although the sales for both (especially Moyashimon Returns) weren't that good.

Jex

I want to write about art styles, or why anime is so popular? I don't know. I haven't thought about a topic yet. The one I'm leading towards are art styles.

This book is probably an okay starting place in terms of defining the early (by which I mean not really early e.g. 1904 but modern-early e.g. 1964) anime style: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0810982498/?tag=neogaf0e-20 but that's not even what you're really looking for.

Although really that's a tougher area. Probably much harder than e.g. the history of anime or defining works or even popularity. Most books on anime are either interested in specific directors, specific themes (in the literary sense), cultural context, otaky, genre and/or history. I'm not so familiar with books about art style because, well, that really ties in manga and Japanese art in general which I'm not so familiar with.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

First off, you made it further than I did. I only lasted 8 episodes. Couldn't stand any of the characters at all.

And second...
you do know how it ends, right
?

Mr.Jeff

We've got Mushishi S2; who needs anything else?
Blessedly, yes. I still can't believe it's happening.

That's not say that some of those other shows wouldn't be nice as well but in today's world, I'll take what I can get. Lest we end up with something like the difference between Gunslinger Girls first and second seasons.

Syrinx

Princess Tutu 1

-Neko Sensei is like, the creepiest, most unsettling teacher I've seen in an anime in like, ever. Like for reals Meow from Space Dandy has to be his future descendant. This guy just gives me the shakes.

-I can't be the only one who thinks that the Story-Teller looks like Dr. Hell.

Unlike Melody of Oblivion, I actually definitely did get Utena vibes here, but that might just be because I'm a stunted individual who has no experience with this genre at all and so Utena and foggy memories of Sailor Moon are all I have to go on for comparison.

Character design as a whole actually reminded me most of GaoGaiGar, though.

And because I am a stunted, inarticulate, unintelligent, slothful, brutish individual, all I really have to say about the content of this episode is that this was basically the opening to a mecha series except with a tutu instead of a mech at the moment where Duck saves the guy from falling. That's not to say that it's bad. Lord knows there are worse ways to start your mecha series. Just that it did feel fairly standard.

There are some similarities between this show and Utena, though obviously they're not the same. This is one of the reasons people so vociferously recommended you the show despite your distaste for mahou shoujo.

Blessedly, yes. I still can't believe it's happening.

That's not say that some of those other shows wouldn't be nice as well but in today's world, I'll take what I can get. Lest we end up with something like the difference between Gunslinger Girls first and second seasons.

Yeah, people who wish for second seasons should be careful what they wish for!

Personally, as long as something I like doesn't have an ending begging for more, I don't feel a need for more of it. (e.g., Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru anime) I'd rather something end early and strong than run past its expiration date.

After watching the 1st eps of Hanasaku and Hyouka, Houtarou is pretty much a less
seriously less
handsome, more socially adept version of me so I think I'll be watching Hyouka.

Why is this raven circling my head?

Vito

Banned
Although considering what Sunrise might do to it, I'm glad Banner 4 will never get made.

I suppose Banner 3 was a nice closure, despite the books continuing. Heck after a long time, a new volume actually come out in Japan last year and they also launched a new manga adaptation. Honestly I wouldn't mind more sexy space elves but I'm content with what we got.

I know, right?

All the episodes were good and the characters themselves were certainly likable.

Kyousuke was a legitimately good brother, even if he did have that occasional stupid moment, he still proved his worth by the end. Kirino, while admittingly not the nicest of people, was absolutely cute when she went full Otaku and let her guard down around her big brother. Manami was sweet but a little too plain for my taste. Her family on the other hand was awesome. Grandpa should have gotten more screen time then only a few minutes. Sena too. God bless Sena and her fujoshi ways. Though no one can stand up to thy lovely angel Ayase. Seeing the birth of a yandere is always a beautiful moment and Ayase pulled it off spectacularly. Can't forget Kuro either. She was so adorable, especially in those last three episodes. Wouldn't have minded if Kyousuke had gotten together with her after bringing Kirino back.

Only thing that bothered me is that we never got to see Saori's true face. Bummed when they didn't even let us see in the last episode.

I see what you did there. :p

OreImo was great.

A fun first season and the best 2 and a half episodes OVA.

AND NOTHING ELSE WAS MADE.

You know what... now that you mentioned it I don't think there were OVA's for the second season. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom