• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Tutu 1

Umm... well!

I'm not sure how to put it. It certainly was something that I enjoyed for the most part, but.... what do I say here? It's weird I guess.

I'm already starting to think I can't do this justice.
Also I'm not sure why I thought Princess Tutu was going to be like a fusion of sorts with the "Prince"

Symbols

By the way, after I finish Gundam Build Fighters, I'm apparently watching Princess Tutu today.

So there's that.

You're in for a ride with that one apparently. When I asked how awesome it was in terms of TTGL, Hunter X Hunter, and Nanoha, Narag responded with "all three".

Also going back I remember that I said I'd watch this show if Cajun made you watch Kino. But I have to finish Samumenco. And Gundam X. and I also have to watch G Gundam and another Gundam so I can properly enjoy Build Fighters.

Why I can't I hold all this anime?

Branduil

You're in for a ride with that one apparently. When I asked how awesome it was in terms of TTGL, Hunter X Hunter, and Nanoha, Narag responded with "all three".

Also going back I remember that I said I'd watch this show if Cajun made you watch Kino. But I have to finish Samumenco. And Gundam X. and I also have to watch G Gundam and another Gundam so I can properly enjoy Build Fighters.

Why I can't I hold all this anime?

Because the only certain things in anime are moe and backlogs.

Oikawa's character on the site update for Haikyuu!! is one development I was hoping for. I wonder if this means Nekoma characters will be next
BiZUvFQIMAIzWwT.jpg:large

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Again, a bit of an advisory with Princess Tutu: expect it to slow a bit at the 1/4 and 3/4 marks, but also expect good things after each.

Again, a bit of an advisory with Princess Tutu: expect it to slow a bit at the 1/4 and 3/4 marks, but also expect good things after each.

Well it's shorter than CCS, so that won't be too big of a problem.

What do you mean by slow down in a sense? Unless it's too spoilerific

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haven't read it myself but I hear it's good or something.
For a book that's meant to be about the history of a medium they could have shown a bit more than just cute girls doing cute things. I mean what about robots, weird mascot character, macho men and borderline racist caricatures?

I peeked through Neogaf's AOTY 2011/2012 list.

Do I watch Hyouka, Penguindrum,Hanasaku.

Basically want a good slice of life/comedy

EDIT:I meant which of the 3. Don't got too much time.

BluWacky

If you want a slice of life/comedy then you want either Hyouka or Hanasaku Iroha. Penguindrum is funny at times, but most definitely neither slice of life nor a "comedy" series.

Hyouka is probably the more serious of the two but is regarded in some quarters as a classic; Hanasaku Iroha is a bit more "average" but probably more like what you're after.

Formula, well formula is important in this show but it just goes from ZOMG spikes to well-ok pits.

It just autopilots in formula for a bit. Nothing too bad.

Oh okay. that's not much I guess.

Penguindrum doesn't actually fit the Slice of life/comedy mold, which was rather surprising to me back in the days of old.

although in terms of what to watch, yes. All 3 are worth watching at least.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hanasaku is the most traditional comedy/slice of life, whilst hyouka is the best show you mentioned, both are worth watching, skip Pendrum.

Link Man

Banned
So I started watching a junk-food series.

InuYasha - The Doritos of anime

Surprisingly, Hulu has the subs rather than the dub, so that's promising.

CorvoSol

Noted. I made it through Getter Robo and GaoGaiGar, so I should be okay.

Gundam Build Fighters 22

Aww yiss dat scene where Kaname walks in on Tessa in a towel in Sousuke's apartment. Rinko comes out star of the episode no doubt, the sheer amount of comedy this woman can pull off is glorious. Probably the best mom in Gundam. Meanwhile Reiji is the ultimate scrub. Dude gets his live-in girlfriend to agree to move in to his bro's house without bro's consent. Bro's girlfriend and mom come by and get all up in bro's face. Reiji's girlfriend is all "take responsibility for your actions!" And Reiji is just sittin there in his jammies eatin' a rice ball.

Reiji is the ultimate mooch.

Fight was pretty great, too. Probably the first time in Gundam history that Trans Am was used in a way that wasn't utter bullshit, so there's that.

Princess Tutu 2

This is still rather bizarre, but I think I can see the formula that'll be in place for a bit, mainly to establish why Mytho (which apparently isn't pronounced Myth-o, but Mute-o.) is the way he is.

That Anteater dance off. Actually, the anteater thing in general was really bizarre.

I'm going to assume the lines about stories ending is going to be rather relevant in a sense
who knows, maybe there will be goalpost moving where it doesn't end because they have to regather his heart a multitude of times, but are the odds of that happening lolololol.

Oh well. There's today's quota of Princess Tutu episodes.

You should watch all three eventually, but if you want something more slice of life/comedy related, Hanasaku Iroha will be the closest to that of those three (although I wouldn't really strictly classify it as such). Hyouka is more slow paced and character focused, and Penguindrum is far more offbeat and plot oriented.

That actually happened?

Ahahaha I should watch this sometime.

Funny enough I actually enjoy the wincest theme to a certain degree but there's a veryyyyy thin line between creepy and laughing it off.

It was enjoyable until the OVA's. That when I realized that the show was actually going through with the
sister route the anime title always had

I guess by this measure Angel Beats beats both of them, since it's Haibane Renmei with angels and band members.

Wait what were we talking about again? @.@

Yes. YES! Come on over to the dark side. We have cookies and Angel Beats.

Well... I put the show off for a long time because of the title, but started watching it and then I thought it was actually pretty funny and not something like ImoCho.

Thought S2 was mostly fine too. I didn't mind that it turned into a harem since it was still funny.

And then I watched the S2 OVAs...

Yup. This is how I progressed through the show too.

I disagree. It was quite enjoyable. I thought it was nice to see the brother starting to get along with his sister.

Well... yeah until the end happened. It was one of my favorite shows that year and they just botched it at the end.

Screw the haters, I thought OreImo was great.

Yes it was... until the end.

Angel Beats is Haibane Renmei's special sister if you know what I mean..

:/

Angel Beats is great and I will always stand by that despite what the haters here say.

You're going to have to be a tad more specific, as there's quite a bit of content out there.

Theonik said:
Start by reading this book.
It's actually a phd thesis itself, and should give you some good reading.
Also, resources on anime much less translated are scattered, I can help you to find something specific though.

I want to write about art styles, or why anime is so popular? I don't know. I haven't thought about a topic yet. The one I'm leading towards are art styles.

CorvoSol

Princess Tutu 1

-Neko Sensei is like, the creepiest, most unsettling teacher I've seen in an anime in like, ever. Like for reals Meow from Space Dandy has to be his future descendant. This guy just gives me the shakes.

-I can't be the only one who thinks that the Story-Teller looks like Dr. Hell.

9kK9od8.jpg

RYij7Is.jpg

For crying out loud that gear motif cannot be accidental.

Unlike Melody of Oblivion, I actually definitely did get Utena vibes here, but that might just be because I'm a stunted individual who has no experience with this genre at all and so Utena and foggy memories of Sailor Moon are all I have to go on for comparison.

Character design as a whole actually reminded me most of GaoGaiGar, though.

And because I am a stunted, inarticulate, unintelligent, slothful, brutish individual, all I really have to say about the content of this episode is that this was basically the opening to a mecha series except with a tutu instead of a mech at the moment where Duck saves the guy from falling. That's not to say that it's bad. Lord knows there are worse ways to start your mecha series. Just that it did feel fairly standard.

Eh Hanasaku seems kind of boring after the 1st ep.

Good chars are Grandma and Long-Haired chick who obviously liked being abused by chef who will obviously complicate things by falling for new girl.

Let's see if Hyouka is any better.

Jintor

personally i would write about soft power, but i come from a stronger international studies background... in that sense.

i hate writing about artstyle anyway, it's so subjective

Midonin

D-Frag! 10

Issues with Funi's player aside, that was an enjoyable episode. Once again, our heroes(?) found themselves in trouble with another group of even odder oddballs. That flashback, that kaubki. I love the ways it keeps bringing back its elements in newer, even odder contexts. Takao's boobs may not have made a reappearance, but she is strong enough to knock over a robot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you want to write about art style you should discuss why five-tone shading is the bee's knees and as a result all animators today are hacks compared to their 80s equivalents.

Screw the haters, I thought OreImo was great.

I know, right?

All the episodes were good and the characters themselves were certainly likable.

Kyousuke was a legitimately good brother, even if he did have that occasional stupid moment, he still proved his worth by the end. Kirino, while admittingly not the nicest of people, was absolutely cute when she went full Otaku and let her guard down around her big brother. Manami was sweet but a little too plain for my taste. Her family on the other hand was awesome. Grandpa should have gotten more screen time then only a few minutes. Sena too. God bless Sena and her fujoshi ways. Though no one can stand up to thy lovely angel Ayase. Seeing the birth of a yandere is always a beautiful moment and Ayase pulled it off spectacularly. Can't forget Kuro either. She was so adorable, especially in those last three episodes. Wouldn't have minded if Kyousuke had gotten together with her after bringing Kirino back.

Only thing that bothered me is that we never got to see Saori's true face. Bummed when they didn't even let us see in the last episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom