• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i just want my magical x-com anime

pacific rim was a DAMN good x-com movie. except it had giant robots instead of awesome serialised battles.

fuck

maybe i should just go write the xcom tv series. i'll be right back.

Remember when Haruhi was a fresh and amusing take on high school students with superpowers and was hugely succesful and almost single-handedly launched the current LN and LN adaptation industry as we know it?

If only the we from eight years ago knew...

People thought Haruhi Suzumiya was good?

Branduil

Remember when Haruhi was a fresh and amusing take on high school students with superpowers

Considering it was based entirely on already-existing cliches(heck that's the whole point), not really. The fresh part was Kyon's sarcastic commentary on the whole thing.

Jintor

but then he didn't actually end up really doing anything novel apart from being led around by the nose by everyone forever

People thought Haruhi Suzumiya was good?

It was at least more interesting than the usual dreck. it took a while to realise it was just out of order was throwing everyone off.

jman2050

Considering it was based entirely on already-existing cliches(heck that's the whole point), not really. The fresh part was Kyon's sarcastic commentary on the whole thing.

That's sort of what I was getting at, yeah.

but then he didn't actually end up really doing anything novel apart from being led around by the nose by everyone forever

Or is he the one doing the leading, hmmmmmm? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

(I'm so sorry I didn't mean to do this)

jman2050

And what would be the best KyoAni has ever made?

Official jman2050 KyoAni rankings of stuff I've actually seen (not subject to fairness or unbiased objectivity) -

Great:
FMP Fumoffu!
Disappearance
Haruhi S1
Clannad After Story

Good:
Chuu2 first half
Hyouka

Decent:
Clannad
Full Metal Panic

Bleh:
Lucky Star (almost forgot they made this)
Nichijou
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Haru-- wait sorry about that
Chuu2 second half

Bad:
Air
Kanon

Terrible:
Kyoukai no Kanata

Worse than Terrible:

Abomination:

Ruined Anime Forever:

Ruined Everything Forever:
K-On!
K-On!!

Unlisted for reasons:
FMP Second Raid - didn't watch enough of it, may give it another chance one of these days
Tamako Market - dropped episode 1
Free! - dropped episode 1
Anything else - Haven't seen it.

K-ON!! obviously.

for jman its gotta be k-on

See what I have to put up with?

Also Hito don't you even dare.

Kite

Well Trigger could pull a Futakoi Alternative and make something that is technically based on a visual novel but going off into a wildly different and awesome direction. Or it could be another Nisekoi, a very standard but well executed adaptation. It would be a waste of their talent but I'd watch and enjoy it.

Official jman2050 KyoAni rankings of stuff I've actually seen (not subject to fairness or unbiased objectivity) -

Great:
FMP Fumoffu!
Disappearance
Haruhi S1
Clannad After Story

Good:
Chuu2 first half
Hyouka

Decent:
Clannad
Full Metal Panic

Bleh:
Nichijou
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Chuu2 second half

Bad:
Air
Kanon

Terrible:
Kyoukai no Kanata

Worse than Terrible:

Abomination:

Ruined Anime Forever:

K-On!
K-On!!

Unlisted for reasons:
FMP Second Raid - didn't watch enough of it, may give it another chance one of these days

I.... can work with this list.

Seems like others really think you secretly like K-On. Don't worry, I am on your side seeing as you have an avatar of one of my favorite characters this season.

Buddy Complex 10

In this episode the gang hangs in Hawaii. I find it appropriate that girls are Kawaii in Hawaii. We get more character development from the supposedly dubbed red head 'best girl' as she begins to fully realize her feelings for husbando, but also Dio fights sky high for husbando, and Dio's sister just enjoys being near people. We have the side story of the enemies, but the only interesting aspect of this is for the next episode where Hina will possibly meet with husbando after the island episode which I'm sure will bring some drama and emotions struggling. Basically husbando is center of the world.

Sakura Trick 8

Hey a wedding.

Two things ran through my head

A) The more I see Mitsuki, the more I'm remember that she will be unrequited. How painful. Also reminds me of that whole 3rd year being into the 1st year or something. Because things.

B) Some of the music in here makes me think this belongs in a hentai. Or rather, I heard something similar to it in a hentai.

Zeppeli

Banned

blah blah blah

i haven't seen much on that list but Nichijou should be higher. also i agree fuck k-on

Hyouka 8-10

It got worse. Now I can feel the stagnation.

So far it's peaked with episode 5-6.

Drunk Nagisa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Drunk Eru. I was actually looking forward to it too.

I'm having a really hard time remembering the characters' names.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 8-10

It got worse. Now I can feel the stagnation.

So far it's peaked with episode 5-6.

Drunk Nagisa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Drunk Eru. I was actually looking forward to it too.

I'm having a really hard time remembering the characters' names.

soon you enter the festival arc and its more engaging.

KyoAni made Lucky Star? Any respect I might've had for them after the few shows I liked just went down the drain.

Yup they did!

Lucky Star is as otaku pandering as you can get. I can't think of Lucky Star without thinking of that video in youtube of that fat dude singing the theme song.

D-Frag 10

The humor... was ok in this one. It introduced more characters so I assume this arc will run until the end of the season. But I don't like any of the new characters and I finally can't stand Hazama's brand of straight-man comebacks since he is always screaming. Like there hasn't been a single time he has made a response where he isn't screaming.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sakura Trick Episode 9
How did they not get caught?

Also that phone kiss thing is reminding me of my exes, its kinda embarrassing.

SAO might've been worst with the waifu and gary stu pandering, but Lucky Star just has something about it that strikes me the wrong way in every way
what defines an otaku, anyways?
i've only been watching anime since november

Honestly just google the definition. But an otaku for me is someone who is really into manga and anime culture to the point it almost dominates their life. They are obsessive over it, basically a hardcore geek for anime. More specifically (again for my definition), otakus tend to be the type who embrace anime and its more popular tropes/genres with open arms. Stuff like harems, gary stu syndrome, waifus, moe, cute girls doing nothing in school, etc...

You'll learn to recognize the more you watch

Pilot's Love Song 10

I skipped throughout the episode. I've reached the point I'm too far to drop it so might as well finish it. But I really really don't give a fuck. They should've focused on one drama point, instead they have three plus side characters. And 2-3 episodes left. There's no way in hell they can do justice to all three drama plots, but at least they'll probably focus on the love one which is the one I really care about I guess. Also the animation in this one looked especially like ass, not sure if that as an actual thing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Great:
FMP Fumoffu!
Disappearance
Haruhi S1
Clannad After Story

Good:
Chuu2 first half
Hyouka

Decent:
Clannad
Full Metal Panic

Bleh:
Nichijou
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Chuu2 second half

Bad:
Air
Kanon

Terrible:
Kyoukai no Kanata

Worse than Terrible:

Abomination:

Ruined Anime Forever:

K-On!
K-On!!

Unlisted for reasons:

There are 2 people in this world
People who love K-on!
and people who secretly love K-on!

Kite

I'm joining the "meh" on k-on club, it was ok, inoffensive and a bit boring. Don't really get the hate for the show, otaku bait.. really? Have you seen most of the new anime coming out?

I'm joining the "meh" on k-on club, it was ok, inoffensive and a bit boring. Don't really get the hate for the show, otaku bait.. really? Have you seen most of the new anime coming out?

The first season I can see as otaku bait but the second season was better.

Sakura Trick 9

Mitsuki got her consolation prize. She probably heard them though!

Oh hey, I caught up. Now that leaves one other show I was slacking on originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom