• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonari no Seki-kun 8-10

Fucking shogi ass battles, still having my fill of them.

I don't think you're suppose to resonate with a cactus though

Finally, that other girl appeared. I was waiting for her to show up to give a spin on what Seki and Yokoi do during class. She's clearly dirty minded.

Quasar

Honestly just google the definition. But an otaku for me is someone who is really into manga and anime culture to the point it almost dominates their life. They are obsessive over it, basically a hardcore geek for anime. More specifically (again for my definition), otakus tend to be the type who embrace anime and its more popular tropes/genres with open arms. Stuff like harems, gary stu syndrome, waifus, moe, cute girls doing nothing in school, etc...

That latter part I don't agree with. Really I don't see otaku as anything more than the Japanese version of a pop culture geek. Though some western pop culture geeks whose area of interest includes Japanese pop culture sometimes self identify as otaku as well.

I suppose I could say I am one, though my pop culture interests are wider than probably is typical for otaku. Of course that's probably true of most western otaku.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That latter part I don't agree with. Really I don't see otaku as anything more than the Japanese version of a pop culture geek. Though some western pop culture geeks whose area of interest includes Japanese pop culture sometimes self identify as otaku as well.

I suppose I could say I am one, though my pop culture interests are wider than probably is typical for otaku. Of course that's probably true of most western otaku.

That's basically what i think, word for word.

Theonik

I.... can work with this list.

Seems like others really think you secretly like K-On. Don't worry, I am on your side seeing as you have an avatar of one of my favorite characters this season.
There are records of his K-ON tsun. Joke character shit.

Also Hito don't you even dare.
Read that as do you even dere and laughed pretty hard.

i haven't seen much on that list but Nichijou should be higher. also i agree fuck k-on
Bad taste.

Already work for hire shit? RIP.
Someone's gotta pay for the lights.

sonicmj1

Zeppeli

Banned
Putting a Gonzo anime in a Kyoani list? That's harsh.

I want to believe that this will turn into goofy KLK ep 4-esque slapstick and be hilarious and fun (didn't they make this random animated PV for some haremy light novel or something that seemed ridiculous and amusing?) but I know I'm totally deluding myself.

you're going to get chuu2 with more fanservice and HAREM ACTION

i guarantee it

CorvoSol

Official jman2050 KyoAni rankings of stuff I've actually seen (not subject to fairness or unbiased objectivity) -

Great:
FMP Fumoffu!
Disappearance
Haruhi S1
Clannad After Story

Good:
Chuu2 first half
Hyouka

Decent:
Clannad
Full Metal Panic

Bleh:
Lucky Star (almost forgot they made this)
Nichijou
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Haruhi S2
Haru-- wait sorry about that
Chuu2 second half

Bad:
Air
Kanon

Terrible:
Kyoukai no Kanata

Worse than Terrible:

Abomination:

Ruined Anime Forever:

Ruined Everything Forever:
K-On!
K-On!!

Unlisted for reasons:
FMP Second Raid - didn't watch enough of it, may give it another chance one of these days
Tamako Market - dropped episode 1
Free! - dropped episode 1
Anything else - Haven't seen it.

See what I have to put up with?

Also Hito don't you even dare.

Man how you people stop watching The Second Raid part way through I'll never know. I love that series.

cnet128

Banned
Trigger's next work
Yeah,LN adaptation
http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51430652.html (link NFSW btw)

Eheheheheh well that was a little unexpected.

I expect I'll enjoy it though.

And what would be the best KyoAni has ever made?

Definitive KyoAni rankings:

Best Thing Ever Made Tier
Nichijou

Wonderful Tier
Haruhi Disappearance
Clannad After Story
Haruhi S1

Great Tier
K-ON!
Clannad

Good Tier
Chuuni Ren
Tamako Market
Chuuni
Haruhi S2
Lucky Star

Decent Tier
Free!
AIR

Why Would You Even Make This Tier
Kyoukai no Kanata

---

Unplaceable Tier
Hyouka (I can't even work out how to compare it to the other shows. On a good day I'd say it's up between Haruhi S1 and Disappearance, on a bad day it's down below Lucky Star.)

Haven't Watched Yet Tier
K-ON!!
Kanon
FMP Fumoffu
FMP The Second Raid

Well now I kind of wish Trigger were doing an actual adaptation of this instead.

Heartcatch Precure! 35

Episode of preparations for school festival! This episode gets my official seal of approval on account of containing large quantities of adorably flustered Erika. Help, I can't hold all these hnnnnnnggggs. Potpourri trying to "help" Itsuki out with her paperwork was...cute, too.

Meanwhile Cure Moonlight continues to demonstrate how stupidly OP she is by effortlessly soloing a powered-up Desatorian. You know, the kind that almost took out all three of the other Cures at once, and that they had to fuse all of their ultimate finishers together to defeat. Moonlight don't care. She annihilates this one with a basic Silver Forte Wave. That's not even her most powerful attack.

Kyoto Animation lists? Well... Here's mine. I didn't break it down by seasons though.

Wonderful
Kanon
Clannad+After Story

Great
Haruhi
Haruhi-chan
K-On

Good
Nichijou
Lucky Star

Decent
Tamako Market
Air

Not seen
FMP
Chuu2
Hyouka
KnK
Free
Munto
Nyoron

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
*writes down for any future secret santas*

Don't those things go for like £80? That's a pretty generous SS, especially for a joke.

In some ways I'm glad since it means that I'm safe from also receiving one as a joke gift. Didn't stop someone sending me a hometown mousepad though.

saki nationals 9

mormon chick has the most adorable voice

toyone_anetai_56656.jpg

i can't help but think she has the BEST hability for these yandere eyes and that voice

"i'll follow you ......"

We're doing KyoAni rankings?

Great
Hyouka
Fumoffu

Good

K-On!!! + Film
TSR
Haruhi S1+ Disappearance

Bad

Tamako Market
Nichijou
Lucky Star
Free!

Terrible

Haruhi S2
Knk
Chuu2
Kanon

Not seen

Clannad (the VN was pretty good)
Air

Not really a stellar resume looking back at it, especially in the post-K-ON era.

Theonik

Great:
K-ON!!
K-ON! The Movie
Hyouka

Very Good:
Nichijou
K-ON!
Haruhi S1
Disappearance of Haruhi

Good:
Tamako Market

OK:
Lucky Star
Shiawase Nani

Not Terrible:
Chuu2

Not Seen:
Haruhi S2
Full Metal Panic Fufufu
Clannad
Clannad: After Sex

Don't Care:
Free!
Chuu2: Electric Chuugaloo
Chuu2: The Moviefilm
Full Metal Penis 2
KnK
Air
Kanon

Literally the only Kyoani shows I've seen to completion are Clannad and Clannad After Story.

Everything else I either haven't watched or saw in bits and pieces. I did watch about half of K-ON!'s first season and kind of forgot about it.

So if I had to rank my KyoAni shows I would have to do it by the ones I may or may not watch so:

Planning on Watching

Full Metal Panic (after I sit through Gonzo's version)

Kind of meh about watching. Might take a closer look out of interest. Might not.
K-ON! S2
Haruhi
Tamako Market
Nichijou
Hyouka
Kanon
Chuunibyo
Lucky Star

Not Watching
Air
KnK
Free!

Short Peace - Gambo

If you wanted to watch a polar bear and a japanese ogre in a bloody fight without barely any context, this is your chance!

In general, I don't think this collection of shorts was good enough to recommend to people.

if you're talking about ATLA, its focus is self-contained I think but it does an admirable job of constantly driving the plot forward episode to episode and tying itself back to previously self-contained episodes (s2 going back to Jet for instance and making him integral to the ongoing Ba Sing Se storyline, etc). Although part of that probably necessarily comes from them all being on a 'journey'
Oh shit, no no no no no. I meant to say: "see MY avatar, Psych". My bad :p

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kyoani rankings?

God Tier:
Hyouka, K-on!! S2

Good Tier:
K-On! S1, those fumoffu things

Decent tier:
Tamako Market

ChuuChuu Tier:
2Chuu2Furious, KnK

Key VN Tier:
Key VNs

Ruined anime forever Tier:
Haruhi stuff

I loved Haruhi at the time it came out, but I'm not really sure that the show has a huge amount of meaning if you're watching it in 2014 absent the context and experience that popped around the show when it first aired.I suspect that it may well be one of those 'you had to be there at the time' things.

I loved Haruhi at the time it came out, but I'm not really sure that the show has a huge amount of meaning if you're watching it in 2014 absent the context and experience that popped around the show when it first aired.I suspect that it may well be one of those 'you had to be there at the time' things.

I think I have a different sense of appreciation for Haruhi as I watched it for the first time last year an I watched it in chronological order instead of broadcast order. In all honesty it's probably the show I most enjoyed watching. Endless Eight is certainly a rough point, but Disappearance is God-tier.

NeonZ

I think the actual reason Haruhi loses something in retrospect is how it becomes obvious that the author had no direction for the series. Still, what we have animated, aside from endless eight, is a decent build up, even if there are many other similar series now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom