• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Princess Tutu 1

-Neko Sensei is like, the creepiest, most unsettling teacher I've seen in an anime in like, ever. Like for reals Meow from Space Dandy has to be his future descendant. This guy just gives me the shakes.

-I can't be the only one who thinks that the Story-Teller looks like Dr. Hell.

Unlike Melody of Oblivion, I actually definitely did get Utena vibes here, but that might just be because I'm a stunted individual who has no experience with this genre at all and so Utena and foggy memories of Sailor Moon are all I have to go on for comparison.

Character design as a whole actually reminded me most of GaoGaiGar, though.

And because I am a stunted, inarticulate, unintelligent, slothful, brutish individual, all I really have to say about the content of this episode is that this was basically the opening to a mecha series except with a tutu instead of a mech at the moment where Duck saves the guy from falling. That's not to say that it's bad. Lord knows there are worse ways to start your mecha series. Just that it did feel fairly standard.
What I got from this is that you're close to achieving anime enlightenment. It's like that scene in Avatar when Aang realizes that all the elements are the same, but instead you're realizing the difference between mecha and magical girl is an illusion.

Listen to me Narag because I'm telling you this as someone who can no longer be saved.

You don't make deals with these people, man. One day you say "Oh sure I'll watch Kino's." And the next you're like "Oh well fair's fair I better watch Tutu while I'm at it."

And one morning you wake up in bed next to madp and a copy of Sailor Moon and have no idea what happened for the last week.
LOL

I've heard of that one, I'll add it to the list, thanks.

I'm not going to lie, that's a bit disappointing. As long as the story's good in general I'm fine with filler though.
Ok, Hyouka is a love/hate show, so if it's not working for you then that's not a huge surprise, but for the love of god please reconsider your use of the F word here.

Ok, Hyouka is a love/hate show, so if it's not working for you then that's not a huge surprise, but for the love of god please reconsider your use of the F word here.
Did you think I was talking about a different show or is 'Hyouka' a typo? And I'll use "episode where no overarching plot takes place" in stead of "filler" then :p

cajunator

Banned
I've heard of that one, I'll add it to the list, thanks.

I'm not going to lie, that's a bit disappointing. As long as the story's good in general I'm fine with filler though.

Its not a bad thing. Each episode stands on its own and some are very entertaining. Taken as a whole, the series does tell a story about Spike and his crew and some episodes are unforgettable classics.

Branduil

What I got from this is that you're close to achieving anime enlightenment. It's like that scene in Avatar when Aang realizes that all the elements are the same, but instead you're realizing the difference between mecha and magical girl is an illusion.

What if his anime enlightenment is just realizing how awesome and correct Chris was all along.

Noragami 10

Wasn't actually expect that to happen.

I like this arc. Feels fairly interesting and I rather liked seeing the aftermath from the Yukine arc as well.

What do you think about shows in which every episode attempts to tell self-contained stories?
I'm okay with them, I guess it really depends on the main characters and the strength of the stories, but I kind of lose some motivation to keep watching if there isn't a good payoff somewhere at the end that ties everything together. I feel like I'm wasting my time if there isn't an overarching story at all as the reason I wanted to get into anime was to see what these shows are that I hear so many people raving about and what makes them so great. I watch enough live action shows that are all about self-contained stories(see avatar, Psych), but that's not what I'm looking for in anime right now.

CorvoSol

LOL

I know this is the moment where I lose any and all credibility as a fan of western cartoons but I have never watched a single episode of Avatar ever.

Hyouka 5

It got better. A bit.

It never gets better.

wonzo

Banned
Z-Kai: Cross Road (shinkai cram school ad)

This really needs to be made into a ~30 minute short. :(

Give it a rest.
umad.png

It never gets better.
Yeah, it is hard to better what is already perfect.

Monster 3

Even with the
time skip of 9 years
this story is moving at a snails pace.

This detective is very perceptive. Tenma rejecting
his ex fiancé
made me very happy.

Stuff is moving forward just not as fast as I would like it to. Tenma is a good guy/doctor but man does he get into some of the worst scenarios. Poor guy. Let's see if the story picks up in the next episode or two. My interest is starting to wane a bit.

OceanBlue

I'm okay with them, I guess it really depends on the main characters and the strength of the stories, but I kind of lose some motivation to keep watching if there isn't a good payoff somewhere at the end that ties everything together. I feel like I'm wasting my time if there isn't an overarching story at all as the reason I wanted to get into anime was to see what these shows are that I hear so many people raving about and what makes them so great. I watch enough live action shows that are all about self-contained stories(see avatar, Psych), but that's not what I'm looking for in anime right now.

I see. Sounds completely understandable to me. I haven't watched a ton of great shows like a lot of people here since my taste is pretty bad, but there are a lot of fantastic anime which deal in self-contained stories. In fact, I'd say that a lot of the more highly-regarded shows that have been recommended to me tend to use this kind of storytelling, so when you're more in the mood you should give them another try.

(Plus Mushishi S2 starts next month.)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At least MAPPA had the dignity to go straight into flash shorts rather than linger in an awkward state of mediocrity and decay.

Midonin

"Based on a light novel" has never been a deterrent to me. And like Nisekoi, I'm certain that, at the very least, the animation will be interesting.

CorvoSol

Tomino is jealous of this guy's naming ability.

Tomino's ability to name people was good for awhile. I mean he named a girl Four in a sign of the deep respect he has for women.

But Tomino lost the day 00 Gundam decided that REVIVE REVIVAL was going to work.

Branduil

This is our fault really. Why did we actually think NeoGainax would be different from OldGainax? We should have known that LWA was an exception, not a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom