• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monster 3

Even with the
time skip of 9 years
this story is moving at a snails pace.

This detective is very perceptive. Tenma rejecting
his ex fiancé
made me very happy.

Stuff is moving forward just not as fast as I would like it to. Tenma is a good guy/doctor but man does he get into some of the worst scenarios. Poor guy. Let's see if the story picks up in the next episode or two. My interest is starting to wane a bit.

This is a 75 episode anime, I suggest you get used to the pace or bail out now.

Gazoinks

Clannad: After Story 16

Thanks for putting an ad break in the middle of the emotional highs of this episode Hulu. :|

So yeah I called it. While Nagisa dying was pretty heavily implied for a loooong time (no way would they consistently mention she's sickly in a series known for being tragic without her dying), it was really well executed here. The whole sequence with Tomoya talking to the dying Nagisa with Ushio was expected and sad, but what really clinched it was the bit after that, with Tomoya's depressing inner monologue wishing they'd never met. That was really well done, and really helped drive home the emotions. Also a nicely balanced episode with the more light-hearted cheerful stuff in the first half before everything went south, giving the latter more impact.

I am glad this series has fiiiinally started to deliver on both the quality and the emotions. I don't expect it to let up from here. :p

It is completely ludicrous how unfitting the ED was with the tone of this episode.

The OP is going to be really depressing now.

Monster 4

johan.thumbnail.jpg

When this flashed on screen with that music...

It sent chills down my spine. I was legitimately horrified. Dude is psycho.

Poor Tenma. I am gonna have nightmares tonight.

Gazoinks

Monster 4

johan.thumbnail.jpg

When this flashed on screen with that music...

It sent chills down my spine. I was legitimately horrified. Dude is psycho.

Poor Tenma. I am gonna have nightmares tonight.

Johan is a fantastic villain, although it takes a loooooong time before you really get into his head. Great series.

jman2050

I Thought Trigger was an Original Work Paradise, but it was LN Adaptation Hell?

Give it a rest.

It's okay, no one is trying to insult you for your tastes or anything like that. There's no gain to be made by having an itchy trigger finger. Like, if you want to provoke a serious discussion on the merits of a particular work or the competency of a specific person then put it forth and see if others engage you. Or alternatively you can snark back. Anyone who can dish it can hopefully take it too. Or you can just ignore those type of posts.

We like and don't like things. We joke about things we like or don't like, and we very occasionally even tell others why we like or don't like those things! And in the end, we're all a bunch of hypocrites anyway so it's not like anyone has a real leg to stand on!

Jintor

I'm okay with them, I guess it really depends on the main characters and the strength of the stories, but I kind of lose some motivation to keep watching if there isn't a good payoff somewhere at the end that ties everything together. I feel like I'm wasting my time if there isn't an overarching story at all as the reason I wanted to get into anime was to see what these shows are that I hear so many people raving about and what makes them so great. I watch enough live action shows that are all about self-contained stories(see avatar, Psych), but that's not what I'm looking for in anime right now.

if you're talking about ATLA, its focus is self-contained I think but it does an admirable job of constantly driving the plot forward episode to episode and tying itself back to previously self-contained episodes (s2 going back to Jet for instance and making him integral to the ongoing Ba Sing Se storyline, etc). Although part of that probably necessarily comes from them all being on a 'journey'

This is a 75 episode anime, I suggest you get used to the pace or bail out now.

The show has started to pick up with episode 4. I have watched longer anime and series so 75 episodes is nothing. I'll probably be done with this anime within 2 weeks. But I am now interested. This new dude has definitely peaked my interest.

Clannad: After Story 16

Thanks for putting an ad break in the middle of the emotional highs of this episode Hulu. :|

So yeah I called it. While Nagisa dying was pretty heavily implied for a loooong time (no way would they consistently mention she's sickly in a series known for being tragic without her dying), it was really well executed here. The whole sequence with Tomoya talking to the dying Nagisa with Ushio was expected and sad, but what really clinched it was the bit after that, with Tomoya's depressing inner monologue wishing they'd never met. That was really well done, and really helped drive home the emotions. Also a nicely balanced episode with the more light-hearted cheerful stuff in the first half before everything went south, giving the latter more impact.

I am glad this series has fiiiinally started to deliver on both the quality and the emotions. I don't expect it to let up from here. :p

It is completely ludicrous how unfitting the ED was with the tone of this episode.

The OP is going to be really depressing now.

I agree ED is pretty unfitting in the second half of Clannad. It really only fits with one episode and you'll know it when you see it.

And yes the OP will now give you feels every time you watch it.
Hulu really did that? Awwwwww man. Find a different source dude. If Hulu does that to you now it will do that with the other episodes. That just sucks. But I am glad you got the feels and hopefully some tears in.

Glad this is paying off to you. Hopefully by the end you will join us Clannad fans. :D

Johan is a fantastic villain, although it takes a loooooong time before you really get into his head. Great series.

I look forward to seeing more of this guy. Good thing too as the show needed to shake things up. The countless surgeries and Tenma were getting boring.

Gazoinks

Trigger should just run a Kickstarter for Inferno Cop 2. The goal could be like fifty bucks.

Yep, it took a while, but the show is definitely good now. Looking forward to seeing the controversial ending. :p

Re: Monster: I haven't seen the anime, but from the manga it should be moving at a faster pace from this point on. It's deliberately paced, but it is a thriller so it should keep you engaged!

It's okay, no one is trying to insult you for your tastes or anything like that. There's no gain to be made by having an itchy trigger finger. Like, if you want to provoke a serious discussion on the merits of a particular work or the competency of a specific person then put it forth and see if others engage you. Or alternatively you can snark back. Anyone who can dish it can hopefully take it too. Or you can just ignore those type of posts.

We like and don't like things. We joke about things we like or don't like, and we very occasionally even tell others why we like or don't like those things! And in the end, we're all a bunch of hypocrites anyway so it's not like anyone has a real leg to stand on!

Nah I didn't take any offense. Not like he was attacking me personally anyways.

I just think there's a fine line between little fun jabs every once in a while and constantly babbling hate about the same shows and creators every chance you get.

What I posted was meant as a snarky response anyways so...

But yeah I know it's his opinion and all but I would honestly like to know what anime he does like because lately all I have seen is indifference and backhanded comments about anime and certain posters.

Trigger should just run a Kickstarter for Inferno Cop 2. The goal could be like fifty bucks.

Yep, it took a while, but the show is definitely good now. Looking forward to seeing the controversial ending. :p

Re: Monster: I haven't seen the anime, but from the manga it should be moving at a faster pace from this point on. It's deliberately paced, but it is a thriller so it should keep you engaged!

Lol. Ah yeah the ending. At first I didn't know what to make of it. After some thought (and watching the next episode) did I really get what happened. I think it's a big payoff but I can definitely see why some didn't like it. All I'll say is if you watched the first season and are following along with After Story pretty well then you should be fine.

I'll talk to you more about it when you get there.

Zeppeli

Banned
from making an original palatable shounen with pacing issues and overabundant fanservice, to making a LN adoption that pretty much seems to be chuu2 without the powers being pretend and overabundant fanservice

shame. so much for making original productions only

Branduil

from making an original palatable shounen with pacing issues and overabundant fanservice, to making a LN adoption that pretty much seems to be chuu2 without the powers being pretend and overabundant fanservice

shame. so much for making original productions only

It's not chuu2.

It's Kyoukai no Kanata.

Do we have a translated plot description yet?

In the orignal novel series' story, the five members of the literature club awakened with extraordinary powers half a year ago. Although the members expected to be thrown into a world of super-powered battles (inō-battle) at their school, their normal daily routine continued. No secret organizations bent on world destruction, no super-powered wars, no braves or demon kings.

However, the members still look forward to the possibilities of adventure, and continued to believe that with each day, they were getting ever closer to those days of fantasy. Their days of romantic comedy and battles with extraordinary powers begin!

From ANN

jman2050

Actually it's even worse than I thought. They have superpowers but still have a normal school life, which means romcom shenanigans are afoot. So the whole thing is just window dressing for haremshit.

Zeppeli

Banned
Actually it's even worse than I thought. They have superpowers but still have a normal school life, which means romcom shenanigans are afoot. So the whole thing is just window dressing for haremshit.

yup
hope you like slice of life moeblobs because that's what we're getting
because, you know, there aren't enough of those yet

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo Rising 22

Yeesh, Bryan Hawk it moah why dontcha?
rKOvaOT.jpg

I did like how Miguel was quick to come to Nekota and Kamogawa and tell them to not let this scumbag Anderson (I think that was his name?) represent all Americans. His smug attitude completely soured the gift of rations they brought to the townsfolk.

Making all Americans the scumbags of this arc would have been way too easy

Zeppeli

Banned
Sounds like it could be a sketch comedy. Lol, I'll probably enjoy it.

at this point the only adapation anime i want to see is another season of nichijou considering
the timeskip in the manga where hakase is a teenager and the girls from season 1, save for nano, are doing their own things on their own adventures

All anime sucks. It's just a question of what sucks the least!

Lol. That's certainly one way to look at it. :p

i like good things ( ≖‿≖)

Well that just clears everything up... ;)

--------------------------------

Monster 5

They're all so freakin dead. And F'd.

Just love how this guy loves to mess with people. And the
blind guy who taught the villain languages (and told war stories too)
and what he told Tenma about his psyche. Holy fudge. This guy really is a psychopath.

jman2050

but high school students with superpowers and romcom hijinks is the foundation on which selling things is based

Remember when Haruhi was a fresh and amusing take on high school students with superpowers and was hugely succesful and almost single-handedly launched the current LN and LN adaptation industry as we know it?

If only the we from eight years ago knew...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom