• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what Tamako was about but I'm excited for the movie, liked the character interactions which I'm guessing the movie is all about.
I thought the show was distilled insipidness, but I'm excited for the movie too. Maybe it's the hope that the film structure and format can give it some purpose and direction.

That's true. It ended up being an empty show about nothing. The fact that the best episode I mentioned was a self-contained story about Tamako's parents is evidence enough that when the most interesting thing is a relationship totally distanced from the main story, you did something wrong. The core narrative was pointless and flat.

huh. This is reminding me a bit about Gone Home (recent game). Main story bored me to death but side story, dealing with parents, backstory on the family and a weird/creepy tale were the most interesting parts. I know it's unrelated, your comment just reminded me so much about my thoughts on the game.

cajunator

Banned
There are 2 people in this world
People who love K-on!
and people who secretly love K-on!

This is true!

That latter part I don't agree with. Really I don't see otaku as anything more than the Japanese version of a pop culture geek. Though some western pop culture geeks whose area of interest includes Japanese pop culture sometimes self identify as otaku as well.

I suppose I could say I am one, though my pop culture interests are wider than probably is typical for otaku. Of course that's probably true of most western otaku.

Otaku can be fans of nearly anything. Gun otaku might not even like anime at all for example. Train otaku either.

Maaya Uchida

Acceptable..

duckroll

huh. This is reminding me a bit about Gone Home (recent game). Main story bored me to death but side story, dealing with parents, backstory on the family and a weird/creepy tale were the most interesting parts. I know it's unrelated, your comment just reminded me so much about my thoughts on the game.

I can see this on the Tamako Market cover now:

"The Gone Home of Japanese Animation!" - Admiral Woofington

So I guess Japan just uses otaku as we use geek. Though like with nerdy stuff (such as sci-fi, comics, video games) here in the west, japan uses the term for what I assume is the most prevalent of the groups. The manga/anime crowd.

cnet128

Banned
What about me that have read "endless eight" ( before airing ) and seen endless eight twice ?

Oh hey, me too!

Tokyo Ravens 22

Kon's moment to shine is here.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Although I think I give the impression that I like a lot of anime I watch and honestly I do. I have really only ran into a handful of anime I didn't enjoy.

I just like to sit back and enjoy what the creators want me to experience and not nitpick everything. Yeah there are annoyances that some anime give off. But if the story and characters are good I can usually get past that. I can deal with a few instances of animation problems. This doesn't mean I let them off the "hook". Animation companies can always do better but I don't want to be the guy that dwells on that single problem for the entire series.

Some people are just natural critics. I don't think I am one of those people. If I like what I watch then I sit back and enjoy. If not, I just drop it and move on.

I understand this attitude completely and approve of it. This has always been my attitude to anime as well (though I think AnimeGAF may have corrupted me somewhat as I find myself nitpicking and complaining about shows significantly more often lately...)

That's true. It ended up being an empty show about nothing. The fact that the best episode I mentioned was a self-contained story about Tamako's parents is evidence enough that when the most interesting thing is a relationship totally distanced from the main story, you did something wrong. The core narrative was pointless and flat.

Counting the minutes until somebody brings
Inari Konkon
into this discussion >.>

Yeah...

It was alright. Didn't affect my view on the original Clannad as much as I thought it would. Decided not to review it here seeing as how people already know how I feel about most Key anime. So would've been kind if pointless.

Oh, ok. I didn't post a review of the movie when I watched it either.

Gazoinks

My KyoAni list is better than all of yours

Good:
Clannad: After Story

Meh:
Clannad
Chu-2

Haven't finished:
Nichijou

Other things:
Other things

I will eventually watch Hyouka at least. :p

My KyoAni list is better than all of yours

Good:
Clannad: After Story

Meh:
Clannad
Chu-2

Haven't finished:
Nichijou

Other things:
Other things

I will eventually watch Hyouka at least. :p

After Story is at the top. Good list.

Speaking of KyoAni, If there's one thing I'll hate them for, it's for ruining my ability to enjoy almost any other high-school romance anime ever. Now the question I'll ask every time I'm recommend a high-school romance anime is: "Does the show end with the characters professing their love? Or is there more after that that actually expands on the romance between the main pair?"

If no to question one: CHEERY-BYE!

If yes to question two: *added to plan to watch list*

Wizard Barristers 3

Sexual harrassment ala bento and Yoga stripping aside, is it me, or did this one kind of developed too fast? I mean, the shortened trials make it so, but like...

I mean, the prosecutor turned Barrister story line was being set up and whatnot, thinking this was going to be like... a two parter, but it just ended within an episode.

Anywho, those Shark Lawyers are like... sleazebags. The 90s OVA style certainly pushes the sleaze bag even more than before. They must be assassins

cajunator

Banned
meanies :<

We still loves you Envelope-kun

jMvV1HD0YXIif.jpg

All of a sudden, the sound of a thousand voices crying "My dream has finally come through!!! " in japan.

My waifu <3

Nah, in this case it's moe girls doing jack shit. Specifically in school. The humor of the episodes I saw didn't resonate with me, and the designs were too big eyed. Not to mention that theme song which screamed autism in youtube.

&#9835; &#9834; These are a few of my favorite things &#9835; &#9834;

Gazoinks

Speaking of KyoAni, If there's one thing I'll hate them for, it's for ruining my ability to enjoy almost any other high-school romance anime ever. Now the question I'll ask every time I'm recommend a high-school romance anime is: "Does the show end with the characters professing their love? Or is there more after that that actually expands on the romance between the main pair?"

I'm not done with After Story yet, but unless it goes to complete crap I think it's safe to rank it up above the other KyoAni shows I've seen. :p

Link Man

Banned
You'll be added to my new cool list.

I enjoyed Endless Eight. It's almost like variations on a theme in classical music, paired with a bit of mystery (the first time you watch it). I learned to appreciate the little differences in each episode.

cajunator

Banned
Well, the bird was just a pointless random element even worse than the foreign girl subplot.
At the end Tamako Market was neither a fantasy nor a real SoL anime. It was nothing.

I didnt like Dera either TBH. Otherwise the shows good.

Tokyo Ravens 22

Kon's moment to shine is here. I get the feeling that Natsume's going to come back okay, even if it does require fudging with the laws of nature a bit. Also because there's at least one more novel beyond the episodes we're currently in.

I kid of want to watch this show but only based on Kontent in each episode.

So I guess Japan just uses otaku as we use geek. Though like with nerdy stuff (such as sci-fi, comics, video games) here in the west, japan uses the term for what I assume is the most prevalent of the groups. The manga/anime crowd.

Basically yeah that is the equivalent of an otaku. Except that geeks are probably more highly regarded.

Basically yeah that is the equivalent of an otaku. Except that geeks are probably more highly regarded.

I think that has more to do with us geeks getting big now since geek culture is officially cool. Whether it's due to superhero films becoming THE box office sensations of the summers which lead to society, and hollywood, being more open with their geeky nature or due to hipsters leading the movement we'll never know. Are there ironic otakus in Japan?

Midonin

Seitokai Yakuindomo* 10

You don't see Halloween super often in anime, so I can appreciate that. I also liked the gag with the broomstick. (&#12471;&#12494;&#12398;&#12411;&#12358;&#12365;). One of the more subtle ways to get in a voice actor joke I've seen. Suzu had a lot of cute moments, so that's always a plus.

Theonik

regardless if it's not the driving force, at least I'll give it a try as it's the only one that somewhat interests me from the shows I never gave a try to.
Episode 09 will tickle your fancy at least I think.

KyoAni generally handles romance about as well as they handle comedy.
Tamako 09 says hi.

Hyouka 12-13

Ok this is better than the previous episodes but ain't the fest festival arc I've seen. Still, it's pretty decent.
Now I am curious what would that be?

Well aren't you the coolest.
Such edgy edge.

cajunator

Banned
I think that has more to do with us geeks getting big now since geek culture is officially cool. Whether it's due to superhero films becoming THE box office sensations of the summers which lead to society, and hollywood, being more open with their geeky nature or due to hipsters leading the movement we'll never know. Are there ironic otakus in Japan?

I have no idea. Someone from Japan would have to chime in.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wizard Barristers 3

Sexual harrassment ala bento and Yoga stripping aside, is it me, or did this one kind of developed too fast? I mean, the shortened trials make it so, but like...

I mean, the prosecutor turned Barrister story line was being set up and whatnot, thinking this was going to be like... a two parter, but it just ended within an episode.

Anywho, those Shark Lawyers are like... sleazebags. The 90s OVA style certainly pushes the sleaze bag even more than before. They must be assassins

Legal procedurals are not something that can be compressed into 20 minutes without inviting tons of bullshit, especially when a.) in a medium that traditionally has little to no regard for accuracy when depicting any remotely specialized field of occupation and, moreover, b.) the fact that this is being done in a magic-based setting with magical lawyers defending magical criminals.

The latter wouldn't be so bad if even the slightest amount of imagination was applied to adapt forensics, investigation, and legal cross-examination to a reality that exists on different physical principles than ours, but instead your average episode of Wizard Barristers is written like a teenager who saw a few Law and Order reruns and thought "wouldn't it be fucking awesome if it was exactly like this except everyone could, like, shoot fireballs and summon dragons?"

If it's already bothering you, you should quit right now because both the frequency and laziness of the copouts and the flagrant disregard for anything resembling actual legal and courtroom process only gets worse.

Legal procedurals are not something that can be compressed into 20 minutes without inviting tons of bullshit, especially when a.) in a medium that traditionally has little to no regard for accuracy when depicting any remotely specialized field of occupation and, moreover, b.) the fact that this is being done in a magic-based setting with magical lawyers defending magical criminals.

The latter wouldn't be so bad if even the slightest amount of imagination was applied to adapt forensics, investigation, and legal cross-examination to a reality that exists on different physical principles than ours, but instead your average episode of Wizard Barristers is written like a teenager who saw a few Law and Order reruns and thought "wouldn't it be fucking awesome if it was exactly like this except everyone could, like, shoot fireballs and summon dragons?"

If it's already bothering you, you should quit right now because both the frequency and laziness of the copouts and the flagrant disregard for anything resembling actual legal and courtroom process only gets worse.

Well I'm under contract, so I must see this through to the end.

Love Live! 2

pFmQ01g.jpg

Seriously.

Why do their knees blush? And I don't know, but there's something about the overall character designs, how they're utilized, and how it feels driven to the adult male demographic. But anyway, I like how they're starting off with training to make them smile during practice. Ichigo, Aoi, and Ran didn't learn about that until towards the end of the first season in hopes to reach Mizuki.

jman2050

Well the thing is those are two very different types of stories, and should be approached differently. That's part of the reason I found the school life portions of Clannad (and KyoAni's adaptation of such) kind of shaky, because it felt more like an elongated setup arc than anything else.

duckroll

He can't quit. We have a contract.

I'm not done with After Story yet, but unless it goes to complete crap I think it's safe to rank it up above the other KyoAni shows I've seen. :p

I look forward to your reviews of the next few episodes and the eventual series review at the end. :)

The best part is you still haven't met the best character of the entire show yet. :p

jman2050

Clannad is a Jun Maeda creation that's somehow pretty good. That's the sort of miracle that probably deserves to be zealously defended.

Yeah all I could think about when reading After Story was "the same dude who gave me those awful Fuuko and Kyou routes wrote this? Why the hell doesn't he write like this all the time?!"

And then I got to the ending and got mad at him all over again but whatever, that's something else entirely :p

OceanBlue

Yeah all I could think about when reading After Story was "the same dude who gave me those awful Fuuko and Kyou routes wrote this? Why the hell doesn't he write like this all the time?!"

And then I got to the ending and got mad at him all over again but whatever, that's something else entirely :p

I heard that was done a bit better in the VN lol. The VN might have been set up kinda like

Andrew J.

You know what really bothers me in this show? There's a provision in the magic prohibition law (I think it's implied every country has its own version) that forbids wizards from being public employees, which basically violates every constitution, every human rights treaty, and customary norms of international law. There's no way a law like that would persist in advanced, industrialized countries past 1970 or so.

Princess Tutu 4

Cue some Dance in the Graveyard stuff, I guess Rue is shacking up with Ahiru now. Can't help but feel how much of a mind breaker she would be in the real world.

Branduil

Slice-of-lifeless?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know why you guys are talking about Kyoani and Endless Eight again (54416th cycle), but Endless Eight is still a great concept executed extremely well!

Zeppeli

Banned
Watching SnK for the first time... I don't really get the hype. The only really enjoyable part has been the intro. The biggest twist of the first 10 episodes,
Eren being a Titan,
was obvious the first time
he came to kill the titans and saved Mikasa.

Going to finish it anyways, it's slightly enjoyable for the action at least and gives me something to watch until Thursday.

jman2050

Endless Eight is an abomination that wasted the valuable time of thousands of viewers, attempted to put an artsy spin on a story that backfired viciously, and wasted the talent and efforts of an entire studio's production staff for no good reason.

It should not be celebrated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Then you can have the game and the actual anime on the eternal backlog!
Wait, they're making an Atelier anime?

Endless Eight is an abomination that wasted the valuable time of thousands of people, attempted to put an artsy spin on a story that backfired viciously, and wasted the talent and efforts of an entire studio's production staff for no good reason.

It should not be celebrated.

Endless Eight > Ghost Banri.

Mr.Jeff

Oh, I missed the listings of Kyo Ani.
Well being late never stopped me before.
Great
Hyouka

Good
Haruhi S1 + Disappearance
Fumoffu
TSR

Don't Care
Clannad
After Story
Air
Munto
Lucky Star