• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

If you watch Akira backwards it's about
a godlike alien who asexually reproduces a daughter, disguises itself as a human, helps his friend kidnap some psychic children for the government, and then forms a cool backwards-driving biker gang.

Akira is one of the greatest anime films to ever exist. Simply mindblowing how good is must of looked back then:

tumblr_m5xubtAIal1r621gdo1_500.gif

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 120

H4IpPBk.gif

Childlike ambitions of conquest? Check. Strolls along happily singing "otakara, otakara~"? Check.

Kate, when did you get turned into an ant?

ib1oFSeejy5pEV.jpg

Hunter x Hunter 120

Hey its the little girl ant doing shit besides pumping powers into ants.

Oh Gon is here, and so is Shia LaPouf. And no more Smoky Jail antics!

Finally.

Articalys

Followup on the extended sales list from Feb. 24 to Mar. 2, since I was otherwise... unavailable for it last Thursday:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=937

In addition to what was mentioned before, here's some more final averages:

- Danganronpa the Animation finished up with a 3,944 average across 7 volumes
- Brothers Conflict closes at a 6,346 average after 7 volumes, though ignoring the event ticket boost from v1 it falls to about 5,200
- Servant x Service ends with a 3,762 average over 7 volumes
- Kimi no Iru Machi finishes 6 volumes with a 3,510 average
- The World God Only Knows S3 ends up with a mere 1,628 average after 6 volumes. Manglobe ;_;
- and the Kampfer BD box sold like shit.

----------------------

And as for last week, March 3 - 9:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=971

Biggest news is that the AnoHana movie sells 34,417 BD+DVD, about in line with the series TV average sales. The K-On! BD-box moves 11,224 copies, which is pretty good.

Elsewhere, Symphogear G reaches the last of 6 volumes with an 8,434 average. Even if you don't account for the event-ticket boost from v1 it's still about 7,500, a big jump over S1.

cnet128

Banned
Ponytails>Twintails

Them's fighting words.

- Danganronpa the Animation finished up with a 3,944 average across 7 volumes

3,944 more than it deserved.

Elsewhere, Symphogear G reaches the last of 6 volumes with an 8,434 average. Even if you don't account for the event-ticket boost from v1 it's still about 7,500, a big jump over S1.

And that's because Shirabe and Kirika singlehandedly (er, doublehandedly?) propelled that series to heights of greatness the first series could only dream of. And their theme song was a miraculous blessing upon the show's soundtrack.

Also Mad Scientist Sugita. He helped.

Hyouka 18-20

There are 2 ways where slice of life gets boring. The slices become too large or the slices all become the same.

These episodes are the latter.

Articalys

Also, I seem to have missed the KyoAni discussion earlier, but here's my two cents from what I've seen of their production:

Best: Hyouka / Disappearance

Good: Haruhi S1

Okay: Haruhi S2 / KnK / Chu2Koi S1 and S2 (so far)

Fluff: Tamako Market (though it sounds like the movie might be lots better)

Varies wildly from episode to episode: Nichijou

Theonik

Princess Tutu 3

Switched to English dub.

Duck is Luci Christian. Other guy is Chris Patton.

Pinch me I'm dreaming.
Since you decided to do this, I should tell you that once you are done you MUST watch the bloopers for the English dub. They will slay you.

Those blanket judgements will surely win him all the girls and adoration here!
If he knew how to play the cards right it would get him all the waifus!

Oh, I missed the listings of Kyo Ani.
Well being late never stopped me before.
Great
Hyouka

Good
Haruhi S1 + Disappearance
Fumoffu
TSR

Don't Care
Clannad
After Story
Air
Munto
Lucky Star

Dropped pretty quickly
Tamako
Chuni whatever
Nichijou

Do not like at all
K-On

Secret Shame
Kanon
Hating on K-ON!! smh.

Lupin III: Part 1 - 04

Cool episode; best parts were probably Fujiko constantly failing over and over again.
Lupin III 04 strikes me as on of the best single episodes of anime I've seen. So GOOOOD.

Quasar

Endless Eight is KyoAni mocking its viewers for no discernible reason. There is no meaning to its repetition, nor is it interesting to watch. Its pure, hateful self-indulgence.

I don't think its mocking, and I do think there was meaning to it. I just wasn't very entertained by it.

Articalys

Also saw this over the weekend:

The Wind Rises
(subtitled version)

So, immediately after the movie finished in the theater, I wasn't really sure what to think about it, since I was still a bit confused as to the meaning of some things and the flow of some events. But then once I got back home I dug up zeroshiki and firehawk's reviews, which helped explain most of what was troubling me. I think I better understand some of the other general comments about it too.

Anyway, in that light, I more or less enjoyed it. If you want my opinion on any particular aspect of the film, just ask; I'm not really good at a longer-form review anyway. I will say though that Anno didn't really bother me too much in the lead role.

CorvoSol

If Akira was made today the bike scene would be CGI.

And then horrible flashbacks to Arjuna were had.

There's really not anything that can actually be called pretentious in Hyouka. It's very easy to understand and uses conventional storytelling.

Endless Eight is KyoAni mocking its viewers for no discernible reason. There is no meaning to its repetition, nor is it interesting to watch. Its pure, hateful self-indulgence.

I dunno man. Classical music and Sherlock Holmes. All we really needed was some kind of message about the rainforest and it would've been a trifecta of pretentiousness.

ALL HANDS, ABANDON SHIP!

eqiJ8BP.jpg

LOL.

Then discuss something else or you can't escape.

Seriously

Don't forget, you're here forever.

Guys stop talking about things that don't matter.

The Idolmaster the movie is finally playing in a theater in Nagasaki. I can finally get my lady on.

This is important news. I come back to this thread to see you people talking about stupid things. God, so disappointed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since I'm in Japan in about two weeks maybe I should go and see the iDOLM@STER film.

And realise I will have no idea what is going on.

Theonik

Since I'm in Japan in about two weeks maybe I should go and see the iDOLM@STER film.

And realise I will have no idea what is going on.
Seeing Makoto in a hat should make it worth it either way.
Also that way you get to :SDBurton every line of dialogue uttered.

Aikatsu! 55

Tiny hats pls

So basically, PonPon girls are chosen like... every two years? Makes sense I guess. Yurika was given an opportunity to be 3D, but she was like NO! NOT YET! DOING THINGS! In fact, she disappeared for some time.

Anywho, our Starlights don't get much focus, because it's more of a Kii focused episode instead (basically DreAcas get time), as well as Seira both flirting and trolling Kii, but I'm actually going to give her a pass on that. Mainly because Kii is now an idol! Maybe they should teach them how to multitask.

Seira, as boring as you are, you gave the idol world Kii, that's clearly the best thing you've done so far, even if she doesn't stack up compared to the established. At least Kii's mom was pretty homely though, and not like.... MILF status like you normally see in little girl cartoons.

Hamatora Episode 10
Bie44qjCUAAT_wt.jpg

All their junior high characters are great and so sincere, first Theo and now Takahiro. I laughed at Birthday's comments to him in this whole scene and just about every Hamatora member there.

For the episode extremely intense feels like a more refined take on the story putting the ones with super powers v those without and the ones without trying to discriminate. Twitter integration took it to a new level with the identity reveals.

The episode ending
Please let that be Art, that would be fantastic way to help end this show and make it truly a top 3 anime of the year!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 194
Oi, show, that's... that's fucked up.

This was a lovely episode nonetheless, going from the silly Nyanko as everyone stuff to the more introspective character moments, revolving around Seiya and Usagi, naturally. Gotta give credit to the guy for his perseverance. Massive props to Noriyo Sasaki for the storyboarding here, especially during the "revelation" sequence.

It's also Sasaki's last episode. I'm reaching the end oh dear. :(
Hooray! The yuri is back!

cnet128

Banned
It's probably going to get made.

All that new merchandise for the SDR2 that was recently announced pretty much means one is coming.

But they mustn't. It would be a crime against humanity.

Seriously, if they managed to screw up the first game's story that badly, I can scarcely begin to imagine how heinously they'll fuck up the second. And then they will be killing the souls of every last person who watches that show without first playing the game. And indirectly killing the souls of everyone who watches it after playing the game, because those people will be compelled to imagine the suffering of the former group and thus suffer vicarious despair of the highest calibre.

I'm just saying, Ultimate Despair is not a model to aspire to in real life.

Speaking of Danganronpa merchandise, though, I just ordered a whole pile of books from Amazon JP related to that series. Mostly because after reading the first volume of Danganronpa Zero which is legally available to read for free online, I felt an overwhelming urge to get my hands on the second volume. And I thought what the hell, if I'm ordering that, I might as well get all the other things, so in addition to both volumes of Zero, I also ordered the Kirigiri spinoff novels, and tons of those 4koma books. (My OCD is killing me, though, because just one of the 4koma books was out of stock, so I will have a glaring gap in my collection >.>)

wsippel

Banned
Finished the first season of Strike Witches. That was pretty much nothing. Cute girls doing cute things, but all in all utterly irrelevant and braindead. Vividred was essentially the same, but it looked a lot better at least, and it had the adult fusion forms, so people could wank without feeling all too guilty or something. Anyway, I like comedy, cute girls and fan service and shit, but this was a waste of time.

And then horrible flashbacks to Arjuna were had.

I dunno man. Classical music and Sherlock Holmes. All we really needed was some kind of message about the rainforest and it would've been a trifecta of pretentiousness.

Since when is Sherlock Holmes considered pretentious?

CorvoSol

Sherlock Holmes is as mainstream as it gets.

Books by old dead Brits are as pretentious as they come.

Since when is Sherlock Holmes considered pretentious?

Since it was written by an old dead British guy. Keep up people. This is literally rocket science. I am 100% serious and completely right. I know because I have sacred knowledge of what is and is not pretentious and I know this because you continue to care what I do and do not call pretentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom