• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Still regret I couldn't buy it new since it didn't come with the stickers for the extra faces. I need Ume-sensei line eyes :(

I do have those stickers. they hide them in the back of the cardboard so they might get easily thrown away.

Golden Time - 22

This is dangerously close to Rumbling Hearts territory and that isn't a good thing.

Lol that show. I still have the DVDs so I can relive the horror.
dont judge me

DiGiKerot

I keep seeing these displayed with circular bases, but it comes with a square pegs base. Is that a separate thing?

Puchi Nendo's (the smaller, trading figure-type Nendo's) usually come with circular bases, as do some of the older full-size Nendo's. I think they still sometimes show prototypes using circular bases, but, at least from my limited experience, they've come with those square bases for quite a while now.

JoeFu

Banned
Season 3 is already a miracle it got made considering the first 2 seasons bombed super badly. Gotta thank Shogakukan for throwing away money in hoping their other series was successful like Magi.

aww that's sad to hear. The ending of the anime is a pretty good stopping point if it never continues. Just some questions about the teacher and stuff would linger I guess.

Aikatsu! 60 Or how Executive Meddling is funny in Hindsight

What does this even mean?

W6awsfv.jpg
G1atVB2.jpg

Finally, an episode about PowaPowaPuririn, who I'm still shocked is as popular as they are. I mean, I know Mizuki and Ichigo left at the end of season one, basically crumbling their two idol groups Tristar, and Soliel. But it's like... it gives you the impression that they do nothing, but look at clouds. However, their unorthodox methods make some more sense given what they do, because they're more.... direct when interacting with fans.

So because it's about them, CLEARLY WE'LL GET A SHION 3D MODEL! NOPE! EXECUTIVE MEDDLING GO! I'm still believing that there's a conspiracy, in where Sunrise actually called Shion RIGHT as they mentioned the fashion show, going "WAIT WE'RE NOT DONE WITH YOUR MODEL, DO SOMETHING ELSE!" What a copout. A funny one, but a cop out either way. Also a lot of teasing in regards to Yurika being on stage. How cruel.

7bqcS27.jpg

Hey DJ Ponkatsu

But it gave us Kaede, whose entrance was fucking impeccable. And while Shion has no model whatsoever, having an updated Kaede model was just as good. Thank you Sunrise.

cajunator

Banned
Puchi Nendo's (the smaller, trading figure-type Nendo's) usually come with circular bases, as do some of the older full-size Nendo's. I think they still sometimes show prototypes using circular bases, but, at least from my limited experience, they've come with those square bases for quite a while now.

Ok cause yeah the prototype Yuno had a circle base. I like the square one for display purpose.

So I finally gave in and watched Hataraku Maou-sama!, and wow, that was nothing like what I was expecting.

A really sincere, occasionally even dramatic action/comedy with some great characters. I dug it enough that I'll probably be picking up the books from now on since I don't feel like waiting on a sequel series.

Was my favourite show of that season.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
(note that "Lucifer" also is a weird spelling for "ルシルフル"...)
Well, they're imaginary names, they get to choose how to romanize.
... But I suspect Togashi is just trolling, really.
While you do have leeway as to the specific form a name will have in latin characters, you don't get to completely ignore any known phonetic ruleset or variant. It's like drawing a scribble or dickbutt on paper and saying, "this is how you write the name." People will just roll their eyes and ignore you.

Pet peeve #2: "Who said anything about English specifically?" :þ
"Franklin" is an English name.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel kind of bad that I didn't rate SIlver Spoon higher last year. Finally caught up on it (actually I did so last week) but it reminds me of just how much I enjoyed this show and still enjoy it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 199
Untied hair Seiya comes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late into the season.

That effects animation was amazing, if epilepsy-inducing.
Overall, I'm glad they didn't play the sacrificial lambs angle with them, too. It had become ridiculous. Which is my main problem with the way the deaths were handled in this finale, particularly those of the Inner Senshi.

Sad that we don't get to see Chibi Moon in here. She turned out to be my favourite character in the show after the incestuous lesbians. :(

Jex

I feel kind of bad that I didn't rate SIlver Spoon higher last year. Finally caught up on it (actually I did so last week) but it reminds me of just how much I enjoyed this show and still enjoy it.

I feel that's just the nature of the show itself. If I'm asked to name shows I'm currently watching, or shows I liked last year, I'll often forget about it. It's rather low-impact compared to a number of other things that are on the air. It's quietly consistent, with strong writing and solid direction ensuring that the series is enjoyable throughout it's run.

cajunator

Banned
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 199

Untied hair Seiya comes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late into the season.

That effects animation was amazing, if epilepsy-inducing.
Overall, I'm glad they didn't play the sacrificial lambs angle with them, too. It had become ridiculous. Which is my main problem with the way the deaths were handled in this finale, particularly those of the Inner Senshi.

Sad that we don't get to see Chibi Moon in here. She turned out to be my favourite character in the show after the incestuous lesbians. :(

The ending episodes are quite something.

What's there to explain?

Nothing really, it just feels like the group is putting up a facade. It's very clear that Saki and Shun both like each other. In an earlier episode
Saki and Satoru almost did a little something something
in episode 5. Plus
Shun is extremely cold to Satoru
. I can believe that Satoru and Maria (Satoru less so) might be genuine in their relationships but it all feels off. It doesn't "feel" real. Like they are trying to trick someone.

Also the way Saki backhandedly
teased the third dude about how he couldn't have Maria and went on to talk to Maria about their relationship
was terribly mean and out of character for Saki.

It just feels like everything is off. Something happened in this 2 year time skip and I want to know what.

cnet128

Banned
Mahou Sensou 10

Yawn.

After a relatively exciting episode last week, this one was right back down in the depths of meh. It's actually kind of impressive how bland the show is still managing to feel despite the whole world being at war and a main character having been abducted by the enemy.

Also, the show really didn't make much...or any...use of
the whole Gift mechanic
before unceremoniously disposing of it, huh.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamwenco 20

Uh. That was weird. Everyone definitely felt a little out of character, and I have no idea if it's on purpose or not.
So Masayoshi's final enemy is himself. Is he gonna kill himself so the world can be truly at peace? Knowing this show, there's probably something bigger to it than that.

Conan-san

Pokémon XY 19

So, didn't quite pay off the
Team Flare introduction
as hoped but it was a great episode anyway. I just love the parting gag with James' Inky and
Zombie Serena defaulting to grabbing Ash.

Gazoinks

Nothing really, it just feels like the group is putting up a facade. It's very clear that Saki and Shun both like each other. In an earlier episode
Saki and Satoru almost did a little something something
in episode 5. Plus
Shun is extremely cold to Satoru
. I can believe that Satoru and Maria (Satoru less so) might be genuine in their relationships but it all feels off. It doesn't "feel" real. Like they are trying to trick someone.

Also the way Saki backhandedly
teased the third dude about how he couldn't have Maria and went on to talk to Maria about their relationship
was terribly mean and out of character for Saki.

It just feels like everything is off. Something happened in this 2 year time skip and I want to know what.

From The New World as a whole is supposed to feel off, so don't worry too much about it. Just go with flow, as it doesn't leave much dangling. As for the relationships,
remember that they're essentially genetically modified to get into sexual relationships to defuse tension, so there's a reason they don't feel truly romantic. They're not. Bonobos etc.

duckroll

I feel that's just the nature of the show itself. If I'm asked to name shows I'm currently watching, or shows I liked last year, I'll often forget about it. It's rather low-impact compared to a number of other things that are on the air. It's quietly consistent, with strong writing and solid direction ensuring that the series is enjoyable throughout it's run.

The first season, sure, but the second season has been a very different beast. The latter half of this season is some of the best character drama in a "high school anime" ever. It's probably still not going to be something people vote on much, due to the nature of the anime medium, but I'm going to be remembering Silver Spoon S2 for a long long time.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 355 – Kakashi: Shadow of the ANBU Black Ops – The Targeted Sharingan

Well the good part of this was more Yamato Kakashi stuff with bonus Yamato development and such with Danzo. He has been absent for so much of the anime that it is a bit relieving to see him get extensive focus in this Kakashi arc.

Apparently my decision to skip Golden Time's episodes until the end of the show was a good one. If there's one thing I hated about the show about just as much as ghost banri, it's Koko/Banri drama

lKvYamB.jpg

Naruto Shippuden 355

Yugao.

Her name is Yugao.

Completely shocked myself realizing that Naruto has been so deeply ingrained into my mind that I can remember the name of such an extremely minor character.

You made a good decision, waiting a week between these episodes is just downright frustrating.

If it helps, I haven't read spoilers about the last volume besides a guy who saw the images and
says it seems to end banrixkoko by the drawings
so at the very least the author didn't pull an anti-Toradora.

cnet128

Banned
Sakura Trick 10

Y'see, I love snow a lot, but I would still not want to go outside and eat lunch in it. That's just a bad idea in general. Also stop making snowballs with your bare hands. There's this thing called gloves. You should wear them.

Crocodile

Blood - C 1-5

So out of modrbid curiosity and due to its "infamy" I decided to check this out. It's been decently enjoyable so far with a good OST. Saya oscillates between legit sweet and frustrating/off-putting in the "look at all these moe attributes we squeezed into her KAWAII UGUU DESU!" though I've run across shows that are much worse in this regard so I shouldn't be too hard on this for for that I suppose. This is of course a pretty big contrast to monster hunter Saya; those battles have been suitable gruesome. Is she even aware she's a vampire? It doesn't seem like it.

I like her classmates too though I feel bad for the Class Rep, stay losing bro :p I'm kind of interested in the mystery that they are setting up though I'm sure the eventual twists will fall in line with one of many possible horror tropes and cliches. I'm also curious how this Saya is connected to the Saya from the original movie since there seem to be references to it. I'm also just going to assume everybody is secretly evil or some shit because this seems the type of show to do that. Next episode preview looks like shit gets super real so lets see how it plays out :)

In commemoration of the ending of Golden Time, due out in 2 weeks, I commissioned an artist to make a screen printed poster for it. Saw an updated rough sketch for it today and I'm super happy with it!

Erigu

While you do have leeway as to the specific form a name will have in latin characters, you don't get to completely ignore any known phonetic ruleset or variant.
Technically, you could, but in fact, I agree that it would be quite silly (or it would be nice to come up with your own system, at least, à la Morioka Hiroyuki). Which is why I think Togashi might just be trolling.

"Franklin" is an English name.
And "cherry-picking" an English expression. ^^

Branduil

Blood - C 1-5

So out of modrbid curiosity and due to its "infamy" I decided to check this out. It's been decently enjoyable so far with a good OST. Saya oscillates between legit sweet and frustrating/off-putting in the "look at all these moe attributes we squeezed into her KAWAII UGUU DESU!" though I've run across shows that are much worse in this regard so I shouldn't be too hard on this for for that I suppose. This is of course a pretty big contrast to monster hunter Saya; those battles have been suitable gruesome. Is she even aware she's a vampire? It doesn't seem like it.

I like her classmates too though I feel bad for the Class Rep, stay losing bro :p I'm kind of interested in the mystery that they are setting up though I'm sure the eventual twists will fall in line with one of many possible horror tropes and cliches. I'm also curious how this Saya is connected to the Saya from the original movie since there seem to be references to it. I'm also just going to assume everybody is secretly evil or some shit because this seems the type of show to do that. Next episode preview looks like shit gets super real so lets see how it plays out :)

ib1tg8mKrhe4P1.JPG

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time
6SU5wlx.gif

the show oscillates so frustratingly between endearing and aggravating. Its really exhaustive.

Blood - C 1-5

So out of morbid curiosity and due to its "infamy" I decided to check this out. It's been decently enjoyable so far with a good OST. Saya oscillates between legit sweet and frustrating/off-putting in the "look at all these moe attributes we squeezed into her KAWAII UGUU DESU!" though I've run across shows that are much worse in this regard so I shouldn't be too hard on this for for that I suppose. This is of course a pretty big contrast to monster hunter Saya; those battles have been suitable gruesome. Is she even aware she's a vampire? It doesn't seem like it.

BAHAHAHAHA.
continue please!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Princess Tutu 7

Being Neko Sensei is suffering.

Dr. Hell is the king of the jerks. He isn't really evil, just really, really jerky.

AWW YISS CORVO PRINCESS TIME BITCHES.

Quasar

Apparently my decision to skip Golden Time's episodes until the end of the show was a good one. If there's one thing I hated about the show about just as much as ghost banri, it's Koko/Banri drama

You know. Given how very little the Ghost is there and how the story has played out I'm confused as to why they even bothered to include it.

As for Koko/Banri...its a romance story of course there to be drama between them. That's kind of like complaining that the wheels on this car are round. I've continued to really enjoy it, and don't feel regret that I put it in my top anime of last year just like log horizon. Kind of surprised that neither seemed to have crashed and burned.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 200
I finished the Sailor Moons and I don't know what to do with my life, now. ;____________;

Overall, that wasn't my favourite finale, but I did love the last episode (and not only because of the gratuitous nipple-less nineties nudity). Like I've said before, a lot of this stuff was executed much better in previoius seasons, but I did enjoy some of the twists like
Galaxia being a rogue legendary Sailor Soldier and Usagi refusing to battle altogether
. Then again, this was the one episode of Sailor Moon I had watched as a kid, so...

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] FIN

About as good as season one, not as good as S or SuperS, definitely better than R. Taiki and Yaten could have used some more screentime, and the pseudo-romance between Usagi and Seiya did get somewhat in your face. I had to push myself through the last portion of the show, though that was probably because of fatigue. I'm glad I finally go to the end, at least: Sailor Moon had its lows, but I enjoyed the majority of its run. I don't think I will watch it in its entirety ever again, but some episodes definitely linger in my mind after a year since I started it.

Time to tackle the other great Toei magical girl franchise. You know where you can find me for that.

NPUag7P.jpg

Onee-chan ga Kita 10

Get those filthy thoughts out of your mind this instant.

You already received the best chocolate you'll ever get from your beloved sister.

Engaged to the Tsundere 10

So more Hakuya and Kobeni is always nice, but I really do wish she becomes more honest with her feelings. As to Benio, I'm not even laughing with her anymore when it comes to interrupting the romcom, just go bother Mashiro and leave these two alone.

it was nice that Kobeni got them matching handkerchiefs, but the gesture was a bit ruined since she also got Benio and Mashiro (admittedly) different color handkerchiefs. I assume next episode he'll get her something really sweet and she'll fall for him a bit more

You know. Given how very little the Ghost is there and how the story has played out I'm confused as to why they even bothered to include it.

As for Koko/Banri...its a romance story of course there to be drama between them. That's kind of like complaining that the wheels on this car are round. I've continued to really enjoy it, and don't feel regret that I put it in my top anime of last year just like log horizon. Kind of surprised that neither seemed to have crashed and burned.

You know, considering how the favorite episodes of most people I've talked to deal with no drama and more friends hanging out and Koko/Banri moments, I don't think it would be far fetched to say the show would have been better if they had kept relationship drama to a minimum and focused more on drama with the friends (minimal) and everybody hanging out. Would've been more relatable for college students than a ghost.

It's a metaphor.

A metaphor for bad story telling

Magical warfare - 10

Even for a "calm before ths storm" or a "aftermath" episode something didn't feel right .

First the small fight at the start of the episode would have been cool if it was less QUALITY , second some characters went way too up in the screen times ( so sudden ) .

The futaba abudction scene was kinda lame , especially after last week ... i mean he is an angry brother that burn hotter the more passionnate he is yet was pushed back with that tiny fart ?

Then we had mui unnecessary fanservice followed by the training nobody wanted but everyone knew it was coming to end with some deus ex machina PLOT DEVICE ..and i mean it it's a device to go right in the middle of the ennemy base ? Really ?

Magical warfare writting is going in all sort of places and not for the right reasons.

cajunator

Banned
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 200

I finished the Sailor Moons and I don't know what to do with my life, now. ;____________;

Overall, that wasn't my favourite finale, but I did love the last episode (and not only because of the gratuitous nipple-less nineties nudity). Like I've said before, a lot of this stuff was executed much better in previoius seasons, but I did enjoy some of the twists like
Galaxia being a rogue legendary Sailor Soldier and Usagi refusing to battle altogether
. Then again, this was the one episode of Sailor Moon I had watched as a kid, so...

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] FIN

About as good as season one, not as good as S or SuperS, definitely better than R. Taiki and Yaten could have used some more screentime, and the pseudo-romance between Usagi and Seiya did get somewhat in your face. I had to push myself through the last portion of the show, though that was probably because of fatigue. I'm glad I finally go to the end, at least: Sailor Moon had its lows, but I enjoyed the majority of its run. I don't think I will watch it in its entirety ever again, but some episodes definitely linger in my mind after a year since I started it.

Time to tackle the other great Toei magical girl franchise. You know where you can find me for that.

Quite an interesting way to end it though
the love conquers all peaceful ending felt like an asspull to me
Im stuck way back the beginning of R so a loooooong way to go :(

cnet128

Banned
Golden Time 22

You know, Kouko can be such a goddamn spiteful bitch sometimes, I think I might hate her if she weren't so amazing the rest of the time. Even when she's being a terrible human being she takes it so far it's somehow also amazing in its own way. Dear God.

Good to see all this stuff finally coming out into the open. Waiting on tenterhooks for the next episode.

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 23

Mixed on the episode. The episode did do one thing I have been hoping to happen all anime
Tsumugu get Ena!!!
and for that I was happy and extremely pleased with the plot development.

But the romance front could use work.
Everything going all wrong for both Miuna and Kaname and maybe even Tsumugu too after making the love declaration and Chiisaki running away. Please turn him down so Tsumugu Hikari can happen since at least they are wholly and completely open to each other through the good times and the bad. Its the best relationship thus far. But I dont want an ending that will make Miuna said and a second place loser, as well as Kaname and Tsumugu dont need to be losers. I mean the anime staff basically shipped them so hard that Kaname can’t even stay aboard.

Akira though keeps me laughing.
tumblr_n2e8vj0xn41ro861co1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom