• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallagin

Extended sales list for Mar. 3-9:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=971

No real interesting new data, but Watamote completes its six-volume run with a 1,028 average. Not popular indeed.
Though I guess the small addition of Kurobas S2 v2 BD sales did give it the predicted bump over v1's total sales so far. Barely.

Just finished watching the anime moments ago. I really liked it, pretty depressing though. The fact that it is played as a comedy most of the time adds to the sad feeling the show gives off.

Really hoping for a season 2 for the show.

Articalys

Just finished watching the anime moments ago. I really liked it, pretty depressing though. The fact that it is played as a comedy most of the time adds to the sad feeling the show gives off.
Honestly I couldn't keep watching it after about episode 4 or 5. Tomoko just became so pathetic that it started to outweigh any of the comedy for me.

Nagi no Asukara 23

VNBlwbW.png

Yessssss. About damn time!
Finally a confession! I hope Tsumugu x Chisaki happens. I'm also happy for the dude that he finally got ena. Even if Chisaki turns him down, he will still have won.

I still dont really get Sayu x Kaname though. Kaname went from being a boss to a passive aggressive jealous punk.

Akira and Manaka need their own spin off where they just do cute stuff all the time. Those two are adorable together.

Only 3 more eps though :(

fallagin

Honestly I couldn't keep watching it after about episode 4 or 5. Tomoko just became so pathetic that it started to outweigh any of the comedy for me.

That is pretty much the show. Tomoko is so inconsistent in her motives and how she feels and goes about things that it really is pretty pathetic. She clings to crazy ideas about how to get popular without addressing any of the root problems she has. What is great about the show though is that any kind of progress or happiness she can get feels pretty damn good to see. Not really a feel good story, but it does actually feel really honest imo at least(for people with anxiety issues).

I made it through the whole show but felt more or less the same as this. She starts off the show as a loser, is a loser throughout the show, and ends the show as a loser. No sense of growth or development of the character at all.

Wait, seriously? What the hell Togashi...

Yep, most of the Phantom Troupe make no sense.

Ubogin - Wbererguin
Shizuku - Chzzok
Pakunoda - Phalcnothdk
Nobunaga - Nobunaga
Machi - Matiy
Shalnark - Syarnorkl
Phinks - Phynkss
Feitan - Heytun
Franklin - Fulunki
Kortopi - Colhtophy
Bonolenov - Vonnornoth

Togashi does not know how the alphabet works.

jman2050

Mikakunin 10

Damn you almost feel bad for Hakuya at this point. All the dude does is go about his business and try to be pleasing to Kobeni and he just gets pulled around every which way by everybody whether its via Kobeni's indecisiveness or Benio being Benio. It just leaves him all confused and helpless!

And of course no one bothers to tell him anything useful so he's forced to research seedy message boards for love advice. I'm pretty sure anyone who's ever frequented OT knows hot that ends!

Mashiro and Konoha are the best.

Articalys

Engaged to the Unidentified 10

Too much Benio.
Yep. Which is why that scene of Kobeni managing to put her in her place (no matter how briefly) was so satisfying.
Mikakunin 10

Damn you almost feel bad for Hakuya at this point. All the dude does is go about his business and try to be pleasing to Kobeni and he just gets pulled around every which way by everybody whether its via Kobeni's indecisiveness or Benio being Benio. It just leaves him all confused and helpless!

Mashiro and Konoha are the best.
Not that those two aren't great, but the reasons above are why Hakuya is also a contender for best character in the show.

Midonin

Samurai Flamenco 20

This is what residual Akibarangerness does to people.
Being so desperate to fight that you conjure up an enemy that's a middle school ghost terrorist is a few shades of crazy.
Maybe the end of the Flamenger arc really was a foreshadow of things to come.

Cwarrior

Rurouni Kenshin 49

R.i.p eye of the heartman am going to miss your smirk :/

Two rounds of disappointing hyped up fights(anji&eye of the heart) things don't bode well for me.

There's really nothing special about this arc so far it's decent but there far to much hot air(enjoyable hotair I might add) with very little delivering, most of the fights have been wack :(

Although shishio is straight pimpin.

JoeFu

Banned
I finished TWGOK the other day and really really enjoyed it. Kinda surprised how much stuff they skipped, but I guess in the long run it wasn't that important showing stuff like the noodle girl and swimmer, but they did skip the initial conquest with the doll girl whatever her name is goddess oh well. I stopped reading the manga after the goddess arc so it was a good refresher and finishing the show made me catch up to the manga. I hope there's a season 4, the scene with Urara and Keima will be uhhh something.

NagiAsu 23

A lot of this episode did not make sense. Wouldn't the 1st thing you do is yell from like 10m away not just silently creep up.

I've never understood how that can ever happen, and yet it's used everywhere. It forces development but it's pretty bad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 197
In which Galaxia sits on her throne for twenty minutes while Uranus and Neptune flirt with each other.

What's the thing with Chibi Chibi becoming a Sailor Senshi, anyway? Is it just there to sell more toys or something? At least with Chibiusa they had the pretext of her being an apprentice to Sailor Moon.

Midonin

Z/X Ignition 09

Ayase's backstory had mostly been pieced together from what she'd been saying up to now, but now everything's clear.
Negligence among the heavenly chorus leads to them taking a "screw it, let's just kill everybody" plan. And the angel that Asuka encountered early on looks to be the one who went ahead with it.
Sort of a given that Ayase's target of revenge would be someone we already knew about. Something's up with Illy- Azumi, too. The show's nothing spectacular, but it's enjoyable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Flamenco Episode 20:

Okay, gotta call bullshit on this episode, it doesn't get to play the hard to believe card, not after all the shit this series has been through.
Also, is it that fucking hard to do a bit of lateral thinking to come to the convulsion that ghosts might exist? You can't pull the Fight Club illusion here since Flamenco's apartment did explode and all of his friends had terrible things happen to them. They also seems to be foreshadowing the notion that Goto's girlfriend is herself a spirit who has not moved onwards from this world either.
All and all, a fairly middling episode.

cnet128

Banned
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 10

Being Hakuya is suffering. Even when good things happen to him it only causes more stress and confusion. It's a good thing he has the mighty power of the internets at his fingertips to help him out in times of need.

This power may, however, be a little too much for him to handle.

Defuser

I finished TWGOK the other day and really really enjoyed it. Kinda surprised how much stuff they skipped, but I guess in the long run it wasn't that important showing stuff like the noodle girl and swimmer, but they did skip the initial conquest with the doll girl whatever her name is goddess oh well. I stopped reading the manga after the goddess arc so it was a good refresher and finishing the show made me catch up to the manga. I hope there's a season 4, the scene with Urara and Keima will be uhhh something.

Season 3 is already a miracle it got made considering the first 2 seasons bombed super badly. Gotta thank Shogakukan for throwing away money in hoping their other series was successful like Magi.

Sora no Woto - 1-12 END
If this settled with just being a harmless slice of life show in a quaint little Spanish town, I'd probably be okay with that. But the fact that it tries to present something more meaningful with a few of its characters in episodes 4, 7, and 10, while also hinting at the effects of living during a war here and there, made this a surprisingly frustrating watch. The mixture of average slice of life antics and dramatic scenarios just did not work for me here. Even when it goes through tonal shifts, I felt it was done fairly well, but it still left something to be desired because I didn't feel that attached to the characters. I also wish they gave a bit more focus to the townspeople. They seemed to be trying to create a sense of place; it just never felt fully realized.

But with that said, this was still a well-produced show with great background art and consistently lovely music. I think the music was the main thing I came away from this most impressed by in an otherwise decent, if a little dull show.

CorvoSol

Samurai Flamenco 20

I didn't expect things to get real. They did, and I wasn't ready for it. I don't know how this show has managed to completely surprise me for so long, but there it is. Frickin' great episode, Menco. Maybe not as good as the last one, but still great.

Engaged to the Unidentified 10

Never a boring moment in this show! I love it so much!

Hakuya and Kobeni getting pretty close now. Benio and Mashiro as usual keep the show hilariously entertaining.

Kobeni finally
standing up for herself
. Even if it was only for a brief moment. Really looking forward to next weeks episode.

cajunator

Banned
I think ACDC fits in a lot more in a world of guys named Zeppelin and REO Speedwagon than "Esidisi".

Esidisi sounds more carlike which fits with REO and Zeppelin.

Love these character designs.

This whole discussion is also reminding me how much I dislike the romanization "Senjyogahara" vs. "Senjougahara".

------------------------------------------

A short 15-second CM for Akuma no Riddle? Sure, why not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWpDl8Fh8A

Not much animation though.

Nice art but omg that music is awful.

Nice to see Sunao Katabuchi's (Mai Mai Miracle director) adaptation of Fumio Kono's (author of Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms) To All The Corners Of The World at MAPPA is still alive... kinda? http://natalie.mu/comic/news/111925

Note: I don't think there's anything new, just a PR for a scheduled discussion/talk event.

Gorgeous artwork here.

Link Man

Banned
Benio-sama 10

i0dcjkBLmxELF.jpg

Another fun episode, it's odd to see a love triangle where two of the sides are sisters (and one of the sisters is the object of affection). Tons of great reaction shots.

Also, nice fakeout with
Konoha

Anything to add, Benio?

ihWPTICgASZCj.jpg

ibdgTPeksTGJwy.jpg

iuseH1R1fsShr.jpg

imRQ9GRMPYsAH.jpg

Midonin

Onee-chan ga Kita 10

Victory for Ichika!

Pupa 10

Victory for Yume, I suppose? I'm glad this is short, I don't think I could stomach this if it was full length.

Princess Tutu 7

The Creator is a shit. Duck is pretty dumb. Crows are being eaten by Princesses. It was a Rues this thing has been.

Apparently, everyone likes planting seeds for shits and giggles, you'd think this is the town of Florists who just do what they please for once again, shits and giggles.

And now we'll have an eternal struggle over one man's heart through the art of interpretive dancing.

....And there's something off about Duck's two friends. Something that... nudges me...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hoozuki no Reitetsu Episode 10:

This show is so very culturally interesting and it makes me want to know more about Chinese and Japanese mythology. Also, dieting and exercise is indeed the worst hell of all.

Samurai Flamenco 20
Well that was yet another crazy episode.
The one who blew up his apartment being a fairly normal middle schooler. I wonder how he is doing it. He clearly isn't just a figment of Hazama's imagination though. Then, the rift between Goto and Hazama :(

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 20

I have no idea what's going on, other than everyone around Masayoshi being pretty out of character. It was a pretty weird episode. It's really hard to get any sort of read on this show sometimes. Not an episode I particularly enjoyed, but still really curious about how it's all going to end.

Midonin

Golden Time 22

The roof was just blown off. On everything. I did like the sequences where Banri did some bonding with Nana and Chinami, but that last scene. All these issues were going to spill over into something like this. And in fact, have, many times before, but those were usually with Koko.

Speaking of Koko, I can't hear Wagon in Toqger without thinking of her. The vocal inflections Horie uses for her are very similar to her Koko voice.

I have some idea of how this might resolve itself - and also that the ghost was a metaphorical one. (Theory borrowed from relentlessflame.)

cajunator

Banned
Extended sales list for Mar. 3-9:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=971

No real interesting new data, but Watamote completes its six-volume run with a 1,028 average. Not popular indeed.
Though I guess the small addition of Kurobas S2 v2 BD sales did give it the predicted bump over v1's total sales so far. Barely.

Ghats unfortunate but I think the show rang so true that it actually turned people off watching it. It didnt feel uncomfortable to me but thems the breaks.

Feel dumb asking, but I just want to make sure I have everything correct. So Little Witch Academia is only a single 20 min movie? And they did a Kickstarter to make a second one that was initially going to be 20 min, but might get extended in length since they went over the 126k goal?

I'm kind of surprised, because I've heard nothing but great things about this anime. I figured it was a series, or a full length film. But it blew my mind when I saw it was only like 20 min. Do they really establish the world/characters that well in that short of time? I'm going to watch it later today. But just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

It was a beloved little piece of animation with some surprisingly well established chazracters given its short time. For example, Sucy is the absolute best.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sora no Woto - 1-12 END
If this settled with just being a harmless slice of life show in a quaint little Spanish town, I'd probably be okay with that. But the fact that it tries to present something more meaningful with a few of its characters in episodes 4, 7, and 10, while also hinting at the effects of living during a war here and there, made this a surprisingly frustrating watch. The mixture of average slice of life antics and dramatic scenarios just did not work for me here. Even when it goes through tonal shifts, I felt it was done fairly well, but it still left something to be desired because I didn't feel that attached to the characters. I also wish they gave a bit more focus to the townspeople. They seemed to be trying to create a sense of place; it just never felt fully realized.

But with that said, this was still a well-produced show with great background art and consistently lovely music. I think the music was the main thing I came away from this most impressed by in an otherwise decent, if a little dull show.

Kinda disappointing that you didnt enjoy it as much as some others have but it really didnt have the best story. It was fun artistically and musically and ended on a good note but did meander a lot. I suppose for a good portion of it nothing much actually happened and in that respect it COULD be compared to K-on at war (but still wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom