• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Clannad 3

ioaw7MA801MvJ.jpg

Literal moeblob.

Why are there Dark Souls 2 cutscenes in this?

Putting up flier without a permit? That's a paddlin'.

It was okay. The comedy is weak outside of a couple good jokes based on editing and timing. It's better when Tomoya interacts with Nagisa and her family.

*checks* On the first US release of the DVDs (the one without dub), it's actually the same as on Hulu. Guess they just copied that. On the second US release of the DVDs (with the dub) it's the 'correct' order.

If you're bothered, then watch the Clannad OP again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2HmP6Sl5RQ

And see how it all
dovetails with Fuko and Ushio and the running through the field bit in the OP. Just a little neat thing.

I really do like the dub more. Nagisa doesn't sound so moe-ish. Plus I think the whole cast does a tremendous job at timing with jokes and dramatic scenes. It's so well done.

Clannad trailer. Watch if you have watched at least the first season of Clannad. I think I am one of the few here who watched Clannad subbed and dubbed. I think the English dub is very very well done. And personally I think is better then the sub.

http://youtu.be/aTI1Fxu6KEc

Clannad 3

Why are there Dark Souls 2 cutscenes in this?

Putting up flier without a permit? That's a paddlin'.

It was okay. The comedy is weak outside of a couple good jokes based on editing and timing. It's better when Tomoya interacts with Nagisa and her family.

Everyone loves the Furukawa's. Everyone. Akio and Sanae are the best yo!

Ooh, that's neat.

Isn't it?

Link Man

Banned
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia END

I just want to say that I loved this series, it had a great story, charming characters and mind-blowing cinematography and soundtrack. Sure, it had a bit of a rocky start with all of the fanservice, but became something amazing very quickly. Definitely recommended if you like romance, comedy and creepy atmosphere.

MarkusRJR

I just want to say that I loved this series, it had a great story, charming characters and mind-blowing cinematography and soundtrack. Sure, it had a bit of a rocky start with all of the fanservice, but became something amazing very quickly. Definitely recommended if you like romance, comedy and creepy atmosphere.
I definitely agree with this. The first half was kind of shit due to the constant fan service, then the latter half became legitimately good.

Gazoinks

HMMM. I think I'll watch this soon.

Glad you enjoyed it, one of my favorites.

HMMM. I think I'll watch this soon.

So me recommending it wasn't enough? I thought our bond was stronger than beef tendon?!

Witchcraft Works 1-5

I am absolutely loving this show. Even with the 'male character is a weakling' trope I tend to see in shows of this kind, at least they take it to a hilarious level. I still find it hard to see why all the girls are fawning over the girl protag though. Besides being cool, she barely pays attention to them and doesn't respond at all. Plus Obama kun disappeared. He was great.

This show, like Onee-chan Ga Kita, managed to make brother complex not gross but hilarious instead. I think anime needs to learn this instead of Oreimo.

CorvoSol

Guys Symbionic Titan guys. This show. This stupid homecoming episode. This is amazing.

Thank you, Tartakovsky. Thank you for all of this episode.

Jex

But what I meant about overhyping was that I was told that the whole of Toradora from episode 1- the end was a masterpiece. That's what I am saying was overhyped. I have no doubt by the end I will really like it. I have already said on almost every episode review that I really enjoy the show a lot.
Well if you want recommendations for shows that are masterpieces from the start to the end just let me know! That would leave you with far less to watch but at least you'd only be watching the very best! Everything else, even the very good shows out there, tend to be uneven because that's the nature of television.

jman2050

Guys Symbionic Titan guys. This show. This stupid homecoming episode. This is amazing.

Thank you, Tartakovsky. Thank you for all of this episode.

I love Genndy Tartakovsky and everything he's done, and yet I haven't seen this show yet.

I really should rectify this gross oversight.

Jex

Kimagure Orange Road - 01

My brother was going out to have his hair cut and asked me if I would watch Gundam after Urusei Yatsura, and I showed to him what I was going to watch after...he stopped on his tracks, watched the entire episode with me and asked me to wait him to watch the next episode, hahaha.
This was pretty nice, and had a lot of charm. The animation is nice, it fells strangely familiar to me, like some kind of Adachi work without sports, and that second image fells like Arale/Toriyama.
I loved the 3 second sprint. Yeah!
I still want to grasp what does the
PAWAA do, since she used it to run fast, to move objects, bring back the cat, send back that motorcycle(That spinning motorcycle), but atleast it explains Kasuga's crazy hax jumps in the beginning.
Madoka the Pick? lol.
That fight in the riverbank. I really liked Madoka, Kasuga and Kurumi, they nice and all. Hikari is a bit...I'll need more time. And the other imouto, she did nothing.

Why haven't I heard anything about this before?! Thanks Jexhius.

Kimagure Orange Road is certainly one of the most influential rom-coms of all time and hugely popular among the Western fansub crowd. Eventually though more wacky Takahashi works like Ranma ½ ended up with more mindshare, even though those two are starting to be forgotten. The stuff that, even today, holds up the best in that vein is still Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura but those have been largely forgotten as well. That's just the nature of anime fandom, it's focused around what's coming out and everyone watching the latest thing.

I don't remember you recommending this to me. Probably wasn't paying attention. :p

Prepare yourself. Now I am gonna send you a whole bunch of links to sad and awesome Clannad AMV's. :p

Well if you want recommendations for shows that are masterpieces from the start to the end just let me know! That would leave you with far less to watch but at least you'd only be watching the very best! Everything else, even the very good shows out there, tend to be uneven because that's the nature of television.

It's not that. I really do legitimately like the show a lot. But people on other forums and even some here were talking about it like it saved anime or something. And it is a great show and honestly I am not far enough along to pass that passive judgement onto the show. That's just what I was thinking about in the heat of the moment.

I dont mind watching some unevenness. Otherwise I wouldn't have watched what I consider to be a masterpiece in Clannad After Story.

Like I said it was in the heat of the moment and probably poor wording on my part. I do apologize for that.

Gazoinks

Clannad After Story 24/25/???

It was a clip episode, but it was nice seeing Tomoya retroactively narrate the arc of the story.

Clannad After Story 23

This was a nice ending to the series. More than anything it was a fairly typical school hijinks Clannad episode, but it really highlighted how far the season went in its development. In the second season at least. :p

Clannad After Story Final Thoughts

Let me preface this by saying that I went into Clannad pretty skeptical. But I was turned around! Eventually!

After Story suffers from being a sequel to Clannad. Clannad is completely necessary to enjoy After Story, which is a shame because Clannad rarely raises itself past "pretty alright". It's a slog to get to the good bits. But thankfully, when it gets good it gets really damn good, so a lot of the meh can be forgotten. Although I'm still left wishing for a proverbial Clannad where every episode was as good as the second half of After Story. :p

I also want to talk briefly about Nagisa, because I have somewhat mixed feelings about her as a character. While she was generally a likable person (especially once she finally got an arc at the end of Clannad), she was a bit... boring. I really would've loved to see more development for her in After Story. As it is, she's more a catalyst for Tomoya's character development than anything. Clannad is focused around Tomoya's development so it's not a terrible thing, but their relationship feels very one-sided at times.

So anyway, complaints out of the way, I really enjoyed After Story. The first half was pretty good, and the second half was consistently great. Glad I finally broke through the apathy Clannad gave me and got around to watching it! And now it'll make me view most anime high school romance as crap that doesn't go anywhere. :p

Jex

It's not that. I really do legitimately like the show a lot. But people on other forums and even some here were talking about it like it saved anime or something. And it is a great show and honestly I am not far enough along to pass that passive judgement onto the show. That's just what I was thinking about in the heat of the moment.

I dont mind watching some unevenness. Otherwise I wouldn't have watched what I consider to be a masterpiece in Clannad After Story.

Like I said it was in the heat of the moment and probably poor wording on my part. I do apologize for that.

I wasn't actually criticising your commentary, just pointing out that there are handful of titles that are excellent throughout but you have to ask the right people and get recommendations from trusted sources/people you agree with. Lots of people on the internet recommend certain anime, have their top ten lists on their blogs, extol certain works on their favourite forums but most of the time they're talking a load of rubbish. It's pretty hard to find solid recommendations.

cajunator

Banned
It's pretty sad when you lose to an
alien.

she would have been bored to death with him.

I forgot about this, but every year mid-March is when it's time for Global Shinkai Day, meaning all of his movies (except Garden of Words) are streaming free for everyone (except Japan) on Crunchyroll over the weekend. So if you haven't yet had a chance to see Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 5 Centimeters Per Second, or Children Who Chase Lost Voices, now's your chance. Plus this year they also added the She and Her Cat short, and that brand-new Crossroad advert video if you didn't see it a few weeks ago.

So go, and enjoy!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-842341/global-shinkai-day-2014

(via WTK)

my roommate celebrates this every year. He has every Shinkai movie and watches them over and over.

Did she turn that Oreimo girl into a basketball??

It is on the eternal backlog. lol

I hope she did!

Clannad After Story 24/25/???

It was a clip episode, but it was nice seeing Tomoya retroactively narrate the arc of the story.

Clannad After Story 23

This was a nice ending to the series. More than anything it was a fairly typical school hijinks Clannad episode, but it really highlighted how far the season went in its development. In the second season at least. :p

Let me preface this by saying that I went into Clannad pretty skeptical. But I was turned around! Eventually!

After Story suffers from being a sequel to Clannad. Clannad is completely necessary to enjoy After Story, which is a shame because Clannad rarely raises itself past "pretty alright". It's a slog to get to the good bits. But thankfully, when it gets good it gets really damn good, so a lot of the meh can be forgotten. Although I'm still left wishing for a proverbial Clannad where every episode was as good as the second half of After Story. :p

I also want to talk briefly about Nagisa, because I have somewhat mixed feelings about her as a character. While she was generally a likable person (especially once she finally got an arc at the end of Clannad), she was a bit... boring. I really would've loved to see more development for her in After Story. As it is, she's more a catalyst for Tomoya's character development than anything. Clannad is focused around Tomoya's development so it's not a terrible thing, but their relationship feels very one-sided at times.

So anyway, complaints out of the way, I really enjoyed After Story. The first half was pretty good, and the second half was consistently great. Glad I finally broke through the apathy Clannad gave me and got around to watching it! And now it'll make me view most anime high school romance as crap that doesn't go anywhere. :p

I am PshycoNinja and I approve of this review. :p

But seriously I am glad to see you came around. One of my friends actually got to the end of After Story and said "some parts are sad" but that he never shed a tear. This is also the same friend who said he didn't enjoy The Last of Us story and said he felt nothing when
Joel's daughter dies
. So I just think he's cold hearted. I've told him as much and he says that he gets that a lot.

So it's good to see my other friends and you come around to After Story. Now you can tell us about the times you cried and now be able to join in the conversations that we will eventually have because of the few people who took up my Clannad Challenge.

It's also true now because I kind of get annoyed now when certain anime end with either the MC not choosing or everyone still vying for the MC's attention even though he chose. I don't think the first Clannad gets enough credit for that honestly. In the last episodes of Clannad it shows
the girls basically acknowledging that Nagisa won Tomoya's affections even with Tomoyo going up to Nagisa at one point and saying, "You're a good girl. I am glad you won." with the camera panning to all the girls who liked Tomoya each showing a sign that they acknowledge Nagisa as the owner of Tomoya's affections
. That rarely happens in anime.

But it's good to see that you liked it for the most part. All in all would you rank Clannad After Story high up there?

I would honestly love to now (well later this year maybe), have you watch the dub and see if it could make your experience maybe a bit better(at least for Clannad S1). I view the dub as a improvement but I feel as though I was the only person on this forum who watched the dub as well as the sub.

Gazoinks

It's also true now because I kind of get annoyed now when certain anime end with either the MC not choosing or everyone still vying for the MC's attention even though he chose. I don't think the first Clannad gets enough credit for that honestly. In the last episodes of Clannad it shows
the girls basically acknowledging that Nagisa won Tomoya's affections even with Tomoyo going up to Nagisa one point and saying, "You're a good girl. I am glad you won." with the camera panning to all the girls who liked Tomoya each showing a sign that they acknowledge Nagisa as the owner of Tomoya's affections
. That rarely happens in anime.

But it's good to see that you liked it for the most part. All in all would you rank Clannad After Story high up there?

I would honestly love to now (well later this year maybe), have you watch the dub and see if it could make your experience maybe a bit better(at least for Clannad S1). I view the dub as a improvement but I feel as though I was the only person on this forum who watched the dub as well as the sub.
Regarding the spoiler, I hadn't really thought about it, but that's actually a nice point.
Really, even with the flushes of romance with the other girl, Clannad made it fairly clear right away that Nagisa was probably the one.

If I rewatch Clannad at some point, I'll definitely check out the dub. I like to see the opposite of the one I watched when I do a rewatch.

I'd definitely rank After Story high on the strength of its second half. The first half was good, but really didn't match it at all.

Regarding the spoiler, I hadn't really thought about it, but that's actually a nice point.
Really, even with the flushes of romance with the other girl, Clannad made it fairly clear right away that Nagisa was probably the one.

If I rewatch Clannad at some point, I'll definitely check out the dub. I like to see the opposite of the one I watched when I do a rewatch.

I'd definitely rank After Story high on the strength of its second half. The first half was good, but really didn't match it at all.

I am guessing Akio is still your favorite character?

Mine was Akio all the way up until
Ushio
She was funny and adorable. Some of the saddest and funniest moments in the second half was because of her.

Articalys

Man, a week ago I thought we might be on another OT by now, but the thread pace really feels like it slowed down recently. Guess everyone is saving their hype for Spring?

Man, a week ago I thought we might be on another OT by now, but the thread pace really feels like it slowed down recently. Guess everyone is saving their hype for Spring?

I think we officially became a 2 OT per season deal because its been happening for close to a year now.

Probably would be great to just drag this one out until April starts, but that's impossible as far as I'm aware.

Articalys

I think we officially became a 2 OT per season deal because its been happening for close to a year now.

Probably would be great to just drag this one out until April starts, but that's impossible as far as I'm aware.
I guess we could just transition into a shorter OP 2.5 or something while riding out the last week and a half.

Thoraxes

I think it's because people are using the actual OT threads to post in for once, like with Kill la Kill.

I imagine we'd be on OT4 if the fanservice debates from there made it in here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The KLK thread is like, 160 pages. That's 8 times larger than the Sword Art Online thread and twice as large as the JoJo thread.

Trigger saved anime at the cost of AnimeGAF.

Quasar

The KLK thread is like, 160 pages. That's 8 times larger than the Sword Art Online thread and twice as large as the JoJo thread.

Trigger saved anime at the cost of AnimeGAF.

I'd say it saved AnimeGAF as I didn't have to put up with all that bullshit in this here thread.

Vito

Banned
Okay, I can't wait any longer. This isn't going to go visibly live on the site for another half hour but...

For all the crap you give others in this thread you seem to sometimes love omitting sources.For the rest, I still have the last PV url saved in my dailymotion reupload:

http://cache.avex.jp/artist/captain-earth/pv0223.mp4

it's simply a date format and you change it to:

http://cache.avex.jp/artist/captain-earth/pv0315.mp4

Also in other news:

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii character designs: http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1394794383&p=1

I'll check what else is new and edit the post, since some of it got leaked, including the ED; so I won't repeat OP&ED info. Edit:

cast (with 9 newly announced):

Nike: Rena Maeda
Livi: Nobunaga Shimazaki
Neil: Tomokazu Sugita
Narrator: Yokoyama Chisa
Mira: Mariya Ise
Nia: Ai Kayano
Kara: Yuka Terasaki
Sheila: Keiko Han*
Bard: Takahiro Sakurai*
Wodan: Shuichi Ikeda*
Catesby: Issei Futamata*
Ratcliffe: Kousei Tomita *
Ranra: Ruriko Aoki*
Sneer: Mizue Otsuka*
Mikia: Uki Satake*
Lani: Daisuke Namikawa

*New additions

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s0vjs5

It is nice that you liked it. I enjoyed reading your impressions. Would be interesting to see what your thoughts about Kanon 2006 would be, but I guess it's ruined forever since you've seen Clannad+After Story now ;)

How is it different from the film ? I've seen the film. Or is it just the film cut into parts?

The ONA series came first and this is what the movie kickstarter said at least:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/693293489/time-of-eve-the-movie-on-blu-ray

How is the movie different from the 6 episodes?

The movie connects the 6 episodes with new scenes, and includes a new beginning and ending. The response that we've gotten is that the movie is a substantially different experience from watching the 6 episodes.

Dunno if the ONAs would be worth watching if you've already seen the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom