• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Too true

CzD8Cq4.gif

Wait, this isn't what you had in mind I gather...

Hvnxv1Z.gif

More Kanna tears.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of Toradora, it's a goddamn travesty that a fucking Ro-kyu-bu character got onto the roster of Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax and Taiga didn't. FFS.

Articalys

I forgot about this, but every year mid-March is when it's time for Global Shinkai Day, meaning all of his movies (except Garden of Words) are streaming free for everyone (except Japan) on Crunchyroll over the weekend. So if you haven't yet had a chance to see Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 5 Centimeters Per Second, or Children Who Chase Lost Voices, now's your chance. Plus this year they also added the She and Her Cat short, and that brand-new Crossroad advert video if you didn't see it a few weeks ago.

So go, and enjoy!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-842341/global-shinkai-day-2014

(via WTK)

I forgot about this, but every year mid-March is when it's time for Global Shinkai Day, meaning all of his movies (except Garden of Words) are streaming free for everyone (except Japan) on Crunchyroll over the weekend. So if you haven't yet had a chance to see Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 5 Centimeters Per Second, or Children Who Chase Lost Voices, now's your chance. Plus this year they also added the She and Her Cat short, and that brand-new Crossroad advert video if you didn't see it a few weeks ago.

So go, and enjoy!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-842341/global-shinkai-day-2014

(via WTK)

Hm... 5 Centimeters Per Second is the one to watch first, right? Or which is the 'best' one?

Hattori

Banned
I liked that one.
It's definitely one of the better romcom shows I've seen.
The height difference really bothered me at first and I stopped watching. But I keep hearing good things and in the spirit of doing what I tell people, I'll give an anime I dropped relatively quickly another go.

You know, I never did finish that one...

I think I got caught up in Boys Over Flowers instead.
Definitely give it another go. It's very entertaining, and it's got Doremi caliber reaction faces :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ALSO speaking of Toradora, it still kinda blows my mind that Yasu did the character designs for not just Toradora, but also Joshiraku.

But then you watch Joshiraku and notice that it much more closely adapted Yasu's style than Toradora did.

Seriously, watch Joshiraku, then look at any Toradora LN cover and you'll see the similarity right away.

Time to tackle the other great Toei magical girl franchise. You know where you can find me for that.

No, I don't. ;_____;

To be entirely frank, many in the Sailor Moon fandom are accomplices to the abuse on the franchise. :p

That there has yet to be one non-botched English release in TWO DECADES is inexcusable. Only Pioneer's R1 release comes close.

Also, since 2012? Hah!

It's not like Naoko Takeuchi helps or anything. She refused to let a new release to have a redub over here, at least we got a good quality release, following the italian style guide.
And our version of the manga releasing at the end of the month, is the "new" manga.

Can anyone comment on whether or not the dub or sub of The Wind Rises is regarded as superior? A theater within reasonable driving distance is finally showing it, so I'm going to see it next week. This theater is having one daily showing using the Japanese language track with English subtitles in addition to three daily showings of the English dub, so I'm not sure what to do.

Go watch the sub, Anno is tolerable.

Strike the Blood 22

- And for that matter, did...did they just forget Asagi in the middle of some burning rubble?

I just don't know...

So Strike the Blood watchers (and by that I mean all three people besides me still suffering through it):
Did they really just leave Asagi passed out in that flaming rubble and completely forget about her
? Because yo, what the hell, haha.

I was all,
"Hey Koujou, aren't you forgeting something? He's going to ask Natsuki-chan to take care of her...er, no. Ok, bye bye Asagi."

=======================================================

Kimagure Orange Road - 01

My brother was going out to have his hair cut and asked me if I would watch Gundam after Urusei Yatsura, and I showed to him what I was going to watch after...he stopped on his tracks, watched the entire episode with me and asked me to wait him to watch the next episode, hahaha.
This was pretty nice, and had a lot of charm. The animation is nice, it fells strangely familiar to me, like some kind of Adachi work without sports, and that second image fells like Arale/Toriyama.
I loved the 3 second sprint. Yeah!
I still want to grasp what does the
PAWAA do, since she used it to run fast, to move objects, bring back the cat, send back that motorcycle(That spinning motorcycle), but atleast it explains Kasuga's crazy hax jumps in the beginning.
Madoka the Pick? lol.
That fight in the riverbank. I really liked Madoka, Kasuga and Kurumi, they nice and all. Hikari is a bit...I'll need more time. And the other imouto, she did nothing.
RXGxkA0.jpg

Lum-chan?

Why haven't I heard anything about this before?! Thanks Jexhius.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kimagure Orange Road is like ghetto Maison Ikkoku.

5cm > garden of words > place promised > voices of a distant star > children chase lost voices

Garden of Words>5cm Per Second>The Place Promised in Our Early Days>Voices From a Distant Star

Hm... Guess I should try to watch both Garden of Words and 5cm then if I get time...

ALSO speaking of Toradora, it still kinda blows my mind that Yasu did the character designs for not just Toradora, but also Joshiraku.

But then you watch Joshiraku and notice that it much more closely adapted Yasu's style than Toradora did.

*googles* Looks like Minorin.

Clannad After Story 21

Well I guess I'll just marathon the end of the series tonight.

Hehe. The main story ends with 22, and 24 25 is a recap with a little bit extra at the end. 23 is a standalone 'prequel' episode.

Wait, ep 22 of After Story is the last one? 24 is the OVA, but what are 23 and 25?

EDIT: MikeHattsu is a time traveler

23 is like a "lost episode" of the first Clannad in a sense. 25 is basically a clip show.

EDIT: Beaten.

After War Gundam X: 12-13

Ah now this is much better!

It's satisfying to see the team kicking ass for once after all the near-death beatings they've recieved up until now. I'm surprised Garrod actually managed to
actually injure one of the brothers before they ran off. I was expecting them to remain all tough and confident while retreating but Olba had the balls to go and fight back when they were clearly outmatched. Wasn't expecting that. Hell he even did it again in the next episode only to not even so much as lay a dent on the Frieden.

Oh...and that happened at the end of episode 13.

Well I guess I should have seen his death coming, as apparently this sort of thing happens quite frequently in Gundam shows. That's what I would have thought if the preview didn't kind of say that he was still alive and that "The final battle between him and Garrod drew near". What, that wasn't enough of a final battle between them? It seemed pretty final to me with that last stunt at the end! Ah well. The fights were cool at least.

From the New World 11

I feel like I have the same reaction to every episode in this series. And it feels like the characters keep spinning their wheels only to be thrown back to square one but more disadvantageous every time. I hope something changes soon.

And I always did think it was weird that they were the only group with 5 people.

Also the "hey I really really love this guy.... now give me a second while I go make out with this girl" always throws me for a loop.

This story and culture is soooo messed up.

Whoops. Yeah. 25 is the clip show one, not 24. I think one should watch 25 then the Clannad (not After Story) OP again and then 23+OVAs

No episode 25 is "Another World: Kyou Arc". 23 is a little something extra from the Clannad days and episode 24 is a recap episode with the last 5-7 minutes taking place after the end of episode 22. It also helps explain in great detail that... MASSIVE ENDING SPOILERS
yes Nagisa and Ushio are alive but it was because of a miracle. The Tomoya narrating the episode even says "I think it was a dream" but it was a miracle that took place that gave Tomoya back his life with his family.
The recap episode (Episode 24) is more important then most people give credit.

So watch Episode 22 then episode 24. From there you can watch episode 23 and 25 if you want.

Gazoinks

No episode 25 is "Another World: Kyou Arc". 23 is a little something extra from the Clannad days and episode 24 is a recap episode with the last 5-7 minutes taking place after the end of episode 22. It also helps explain in great detail that... MASSIVE ENDING SPOILERS
yes Nagisa and Ushio are alive but it was because of a miracle. The Tomoya narrating the episode even says "I think it was a dream" but it was a miracle that took place that gave Tomoya back his life with his family.
The recap episode (Episode 24) is more important then most people give credit.

So watch Episode 22 then episode 24. From there you can watch episode 23 and 25 if you want.

According to Hulu, 24 is the Kyou episode. :p So is there no new content in the recap besides the ending? Should I just skip to the last 5-7 minutes?

According to Hulu, 24 is the Kyou episode. :p So is there no new content in the recap besides the ending? Should I just skip to the last 5-7 minutes?

Unless you perfectly understand everything that is going on and understand everything in episode 22 then go for it. I understood most of it but was a bit fuzzy on other things. So it helped me understand a few things. Plus how Tomoya narrates everything, especially the all of after story, is pretty emotionally impactful.

I personally would but I can totally see the argument of someone saying you really don't need to.

Hm... Watch the whole thing if you get confused and you're left with questions after watching 22. There's a voiceover that explains certain things a little better.

Edit: Haha

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episode 22

Sometimes this show can be really, really ugly. This was a pretty slow episode, and some of the scenes went on for longer than I think they needed to. Titus' personal arc was handled pretty well, but it's tough for me to really say that I'm enjoying this war part of the arc much. So many stupid designs, so much bad art, action animation which isn't impressive, effects which look unfinished. It's just a production mess. Sad.

---

Hozuki the Diet Demon - Episode 10

This on the other hand is just what I needed to recover from four crummy looking episodes of Magi. Lots of great layouts this week with funky perspectives, creative script, great music. The exercise parts had really cute animation bits, and the music video for the 10 Kings was hilarious.

The cultural aspects of the show have always been appealing to me, since I'm actually familiar with a lot of them and it's not something you see presented in much detail in entertainment. It's definitely a very refreshing and different show, and I'm going to miss it when it ends!

There's also something really relaxing about watching Hozuki, and even when the show isn't laugh-out-loud funny, it has a strong healing energy which injects a pleasant feeling filled with positive energy. It probably has a lot of to with how the show is party educational, party self-aware and humorous, and also filled with a cast who are extremely relaxed and positive even when under threat or stress since they're all already dead. Great stuff.

No, not on Hulu. They switched episodes 24 and 25. I checked.

Why would they do that? Ugh. It's an OVA. It should be last. I have the BD so that's how it was listed for me.

Edit: Alright Gazoinks. Your here! The ending. I hope you like it. I expect a full report when you're all done. :p

Also to your answer on the end of episode 21....
Yes. Ushio dies. And Tomoya collapses from the grief. T_T

Gazoinks

Clannad After Story 22 End-ish

I actually didn't have any real problem with the ending. I thought it'd be worse. :p
Yeah it's kind of a deus ex machina, but it was established (vaguely) throughout After Story and come on! Tomoya deserves a happy ending! And it seems like Tomoya still remembers the other timeline, so it's not like all the stuff he learned from that is retconned out.

That being said, I wasn't crazy about the actual pacing of this episode.
Starting off with Tomoya's self doubt being cast away was good, as was the extended flash forward, but the stuff afterwards with Fuko was kind of weird. I don't dislike Fuko as a character, but the show seems convinced everyone's clamoring to see her again. My ideal ending episode would make Tomoya's "I wish I'd never met her" segment go longer, with him seeing alternate realities It's A Wonderful Life-style. Then you have the flash forward, and maybe end on them sending Ushio to high school or something. As it was, I thought Fuko showing up to be goofy kind of killed the weight of the ending, although finding Ushio sleeping at the end was nice.

All in all, a nice ending episode, but not as satisfying as I'd like. I'll post series thoughts when I watch the bonus episodes.

Ushio died, but was saved by a cosmic retcon so my monitor remains intact. :p

Why would they do that? Ugh. It's an OVA. It should be last. I have the BD so that's how it was listed for me.

*checks* On the first US release of the DVDs (the one without dub), it's actually the same as on Hulu. Guess they just copied that. On the second US release of the DVDs (with the dub) it's the 'correct' order.

If you're bothered, then watch the Clannad OP again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2HmP6Sl5RQ

And see how it all
dovetails with Fuko and Ushio and the running through the field bit in the OP. Just a little neat thing.

The first time I was watching Toradora,
up until ten or so episodes in, i thought it was such a shame that taiga and ryuu were interested in other people when the show would clearly be better if they were interested in each other

I disagree, that would make for a much shorter series and less character-development arcs which Toradora prides itself in.

Toradora is when I realized that best girls always lose. Blue is true.

All too true, with how Golden Time is turning out I think the writer is just trolling us.

I actually didn't have any real problem with the ending. I thought it'd be worse. :p
Yeah it's kind of a deus ex machina, but it was established (vaguely) throughout After Story and come on! Tomoya deserves a happy ending! And it seems like Tomoya still remembers the other timeline, so it's not like all the stuff he learned from that is retconned out.

That being said, I wasn't crazy about the actual pacing of this episode.
Starting off with Tomoya's self doubt being cast away was good, as was the extended flash forward, but the stuff afterwards with Fuko was kind of weird. I don't dislike Fuko as a character, but the show seems convinced everyone's clamoring to see her again. My ideal ending episode would make Tomoya's "I wish I'd never met her" segment go longer, with him seeing alternate realities It's A Wonderful Life-style. Then you have the flash forward, and maybe end on them sending Ushio to high school or something. As it was, I thought Fuko showing up to be goofy kind of killed the weight of the ending, although finding Ushio sleeping at the end was nice.

All in all, a nice ending episode, but not as satisfying as I'd like. I'll post series thoughts when I watch the bonus episodes.

Honestly I never felt that way about
how the miracle happens. The girl and robot are the first thing established in the very first episode of Clannad. So it was planned from the very beginning. Honestly I would've been annoyed if they didn't use it because they spent so much time showing us the girl and robot throughout the series. I like how they finally used it by the end and I was like "oh now I see why they kept showing us this".

Yeah the ending wasn't as satisfying until I watched the recap episode. Watch that. It should help somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom