• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I would not personally call Toradora a masterpiece. It's certainly entertaining enough, and it's a good series despite some of its writing flaws, but it definitely benefits to some degree from simply being a good, well-directed series amidst a sea of crap in its genre.

it's fair to say you might not like it by the fourth episode, but i don't think you can claim to know whether or not hype is truly warranted re a whole thing until you see it all. unless you're talking about hype episode to episode or something.

Yeah. The 3-4 episode rule works for me if it's a 12 episode show. Especially a currently airing one. Then I can keep reading impressions and see if people who had similar thoughts say whether the show really did become better on the other 2/3's. But the 3-4 episode rule tends to work for short shows for me.

Quasar

it's fair to say you might not like it by the fourth episode, but i don't think you can claim to know whether or not hype is truly warranted re a whole thing until you see it all. unless you're talking about hype episode to episode or something.

I was mostly talking about its rep as the best anime romance/romantic comedy. Of course maybe it is, but as I didn't much like the main cast I was never able to enjoy it. But hey...I've watched a lot of anime since then so I'm thinking about trying again as I've liked Golden Time so much.

Yeah. The 3-4 episode rule works for me if it's a 12 episode show. Especially a currently airing one. Then I can keep reading impressions and see if people who had similar thoughts say whether the show really did become better on the other 2/3's. But the 3-4 episode rule tends to work for short shows for me.

Haha that's my rule on anime too! *high five*

I have zero intentions of putting Toradora down. It's still very entertaining.

Midonin

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live 49

The story of June is one of tragic love and ridiculous hair. If Ito rearranged the planets, then June became a sun for her final show. I'm not sure which one of those is more impressive, but Wakana riding a lion wins because it's Wakana.
So when Rinne split from herself and became June, she based June's looks (but not the hair) on Hijiri's mom. That just adds a faint Oedipus complex to their relationship, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
There's still two episodes, so the "everything is lost" cliffhanger doesn't have a whole bunch of tension. Plenty of time to save the world.

And next week is a Rinne episode! Rinne's one of those roles that cemented me on Ayaneru's potential. ("gift" is an incredible song. One of her best.) I never thought I'd grow so attached to this show.

Oh, another thing about Toradora. I'd recommend watching the OVA episode after episode 12. It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, but it's enjoyable, and it fits in perfectly after 12. Going back and watching it after the last episode will probably feel a bit weird.

Well the OVA isn't on CR. Is it worth going out of my way to look for it or can I wait until the BD release and just continue to watch the series as is?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was mostly talking about its rep as the best anime romance/romantic comedy. Of course maybe it is, but as I didn't much like the main cast I was never able to enjoy it. But hey...I've watched a lot of anime since then so I'm thinking about trying again as I've liked Golden Time so much.

For what it's worth, I feel like Toradora has the vastly superior main characters and overall story, while Golden Time has better supporting characters (Mitsubro and Chinami alone are more entertaining/better than Kitamura and Ami, and that's not even taking 2D-kun into account).

learn from Kota-kun and and give anime you dropped on the first go early on a second try.

For reference the link leads to the Kotaku anime guy who said he thought Cowboy Bebop was crap after only watching a couple of the first episodes. He recently gave it another go after years of people telling him to do so, and finally admitted that the show is indeed top tier anime. Though he still dislikes the 'filler' episodes like the alien fridge and the mad pierot episodes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well the OVA isn't on CR. Is it worth going out of my way to look for it or can I wait until the BD release and just continue to watch the series as is?

Well, I mean...as far as plot importance, the OVA has none whatsoever. But it's a fairly lighthearted/comedy-centric episode, and watching it after the last episode might affect your enjoyment of it a bit. Or not. I dunno. I'd personally recommend hunting it down and watching it after episode 12, but you don't have to. Just my thoughts.

Quasar

learn from Kota-kun and and give anime you dropped on the first go early on a second try.

For reference the link leads to the Kotaku anime guy who said he thought Cowboy Bebop was crap after only watching a couple of the first episodes. He recently gave it another go after years of people telling him to do so, and finally admitted that the show is indeed top tier anime. Though he still dislikes the 'filler' episodes like the alien fridge and the mad pierot episodes.

That's probably something else I should try. I tried twice to get into Cowboy (once subbed, once dubbed) but failed.

Well, I mean...as far as plot importance, the OVA has none whatsoever. But it's a fairly lighthearted/comedy-centric episode, and watching it after the last episode might affect your enjoyment of it a bit. Or not. I dunno. I'd personally recommend hunting it down and watching it after episode 12, but you don't have to. Just my thoughts.

I won't ask more because I feel that might be a spoiler.

I'll look for it when I get around episode 10. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. :)

It's like how I always tell people to watch the Baka & Test second season OVA's BEFORE the second season. It helps with the story and some of the jokes in the later part of Baka & Test. :3

jman2050

Man I knew people would focus on that one sentence and forgo the content that I say around it. :/

Like Clannad and other similar works, the show requires a level of time investment leading to an emotional payoff. It seems from your impressions that you are enjoying the investment period moreso than usual, so it seems odd to make a judgment using a loaded term like "overhyped" when you aren't even close to cashing in.

(I really hate using such a cold, functional metaphor for this type of thing, however necessary it may be.)

Gazoinks

Clannad After Story 20

First let me say
if Ushio dies I am putting a hole through my screen.

And now back to your regularly scheduled episode review
DiW8rLMl.jpg

Picture provided without context

Nice episode. Still had feels, but it was a little lighter than the show's been in a while.
It felt like it was really about Tomoya finally being able to move beyond Nagisa's death. He's still sad about it, obviously, but he's finally living in the present again and moving forward. Aside from talking in third person, which is forever annoying, Fuko was handled pretty well here. She did end up becoming buddies with Ushio as I suspected, and her light banter with Tomoya was fun.

Plus Kyou returned! Bonus points!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I won't ask more because I feel that might be a spoiler.

I'll look for it when I get around episode 10. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. :)

It's like how I always tell people to watch the Baka & Test second season OVA's BEFORE the second season. It helps with the story and some of the jokes in the later part of Baka & Test. :3

Nah man, I'm just sayin'...just from my (and a few others here in AnimeGAF) personal experience...you're probably gonna have some major feels when you finish Toradora. I know I did, for like, a week. It was really, reaaaaaaally hard to watch anything else for a while. I still remember the feeling quite well, haven't had another show do that to me since. I think the only thing I watched in the week after Toradora was Morita-san wa Mukuchi. And that was a short.

So yeah, I dunno, maybe Toradora won't affect you the way it affected me. I'm just going from my own personal experience here. And that's why I recommend the OVA before finishing the show.

jman2050

Well the OVA does kinda spoil the ending
not that the title alone wasn't enough of a spoiler lolololol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The first two minutes of the show spoil the ending. The OP spoils the ending. The name spoils the ending. COMMON SENSE spoils the ending. :lol

Also wait, what? It does?

I remember that because you asked me to help you find something, anything.

Haha, yep. Good times. And I always think back on Morita-san with a certain strange feeling, as well. Man that was a weird week. :lol

Like Clannad and other similar works, the show requires a level of time investment leading to an emotional payoff. It seems from your impressions that you are enjoying the investment period moreso than usual, so it seems odd to make a judgment using a loaded term like "overhyped" when you aren't even close to cashing in.

(I really hate using such a cold, functional metaphor for this type of thing, however necessary it may be.)

Yeah I am weird like that. Lol

I love the buildup and fleshing out of characters leading to their emotional impacts. It's probably why I loved Clannad soo much was because how massive the payoff was.

You gotta believe me when I say I am not trying to tear Toradora down. Far from it. But you also have to understand I have heard about this anime for YEARS whispered in the same breath as some of the best anime of all time. I try to go in unbiased but its hard to do that with that level of hype and excitement the series has garnered. I still really like it so far. I am not making any definite judgement calls on the show just yet. That would be unfair to it.

Honestly I like it so much I may even finish it before Infamous SS comes out (I must because when that game comes out... goodbye life).

jman2050

The first two minutes of the show spoil the ending. The OP spoils the ending. The name spoils the ending. COMMON SENSE spoils the ending. :lol

That didn't stop half the internet from trying to rationalize an Ami or Minorin ending mere weeks before the last episode, at least based on archived threads I've seen lolllllll

The very last scene takes place after the ending and the implication is pretty clear!

Haha, yep. Good times. And I always think back on Morita-san with a certain strange feeling, as well. Man that was a weird week. :lol

I hope Golden Time
also spoiled the ending. I don't need switcheroos

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The first time I was watching Toradora,
up until ten or so episodes in, i thought it was such a shame that taiga and ryuu were interested in other people when the show would clearly be better if they were interested in each other

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That didn't stop half the internet from trying to rationalize an Ami or Minorin ending mere weeks before the last episode, at least based on archived threads I've seen lolllllll

Proof once again that on the internet (and everywhere else) emotion trumps logic! Clearly this means the only way to enjoy anime is to go full Vulcan.

I have no idea what I'm talking about oh god I'm so tired.

Nah man, I'm just sayin'...just from my (and a few others here in AnimeGAF) personal experience...you're probably gonna have some major feels when you finish Toradora. I know I did, for like, a week. It was really, reaaaaaaally hard to watch anything else for a while. I still remember the feeling quite well, haven't had another show do that to me since. I think the only thing I watched in the week after Toradora was Morita-san wa Mukuchi. And that was a short.

So yeah, I dunno, maybe Toradora won't affect you the way it affected me. I'm just going from my own personal experience here. And that's why I recommend the OVA before finishing the show.

Oh wow really? It's really hard to imagine an anime that would affect me more than After Story did but hey I would live to see another show affect me as much as Clannad did.

I am a pretty sensitive dude and love a lot of anime so I think it's quite possible it will affect me. So I honestly look forward to the waterworks. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The very last scene takes place after the ending and the implication is pretty clear!

Toradora is when I realized that best girls always lose. Blue is true.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sounds like a pretty dumb reason to not be friends any more. *hugs*

Its one of the reasons I'm now very careful about what opinions I post where. I've lost too many friends because I didn't like something they love. So I tend to keep to myself these days outside of the stuff everyone already knows. :/

survivor

Banned
Clannad 1-2

I really wish they would stop fading out the music for some of the scenes just like you would get from a VN. It's just so unfitting and distracting.

Dramatic scene under the rain could have easily been avoided if phones were invented.

Clannad After Story 20

First let me say
if Ushio dies I am putting a hole through my screen.

And now back to your regularly scheduled episode review

Nice episode. Still had feels, but it was a little lighter than the show's been in a while.
It felt like it was really about Tomoya finally being able to move beyond Nagisa's death. He's still sad about it, obviously, but he's finally living in the present again and moving forward. Aside from talking in third person, which is forever annoying, Fuko was handled pretty well here. She did end up becoming buddies with Ushio as I suspected, and her light banter with Tomoya was fun.

Plus Kyou returned! Bonus points!

:D

Go on... Watch 1 more episode.

You are soooo mean. :,(

Proof once again that on the internet (and everywhere else) emotion trumps logic! Clearly this means the only way to enjoy anime is to go full Vulcan.

I have no idea what I'm talking about oh god I'm so tired.

Alright guys... the black bars aren't helping....

Should I not watch the OVA before finishing the anime first?

Clannad 1-2

I really wish they would stop fading out the music for some of the scenes just like you would get from a VN. It's just so unfitting and distracting.

Dramatic scene under the rain could have easily been avoided if phones were invented.

Man.. I need to start on your anime. I have been focusing on everyone else's. I promise to get to yours. I will probably finish yours before you even touch After Story. ;P

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I never did see it like that, and going back and watching it, I still kinda don't!

Okay, haha, see, jman and I are having a bit of a disagreement here over "obvious" things that maaaaaybe aren't so obvious to one of us. :lol I'm more confused than anything right now.

*sigh*

Watch it after. *I* personally don't think it spoils anything, but it's better to err on the side of caution just in case jman's right and I'm just crazy/not observant enough.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
(Reposting just in case)

I never did see it like that, and going back and watching it, I still kinda don't!

Okay, haha, see, jman and I are having a bit of a disagreement here over "obvious" things that maaaaaybe aren't so obvious to one of us. :lol I'm more confused than anything right now.

*sigh*

Watch it after. *I* personally don't think it spoils anything, but it's better to err on the side of caution just in case jman's right and I'm just crazy/not observant enough.

*sigh*

Alright. Will do.

Link Man

Banned
Mushi-shi 11

I put off watching this show for a little while due to some family grief, but that's past now and I feel ready to continue. So another great episode, reminds me of Princess Mononoke for obvious reasons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom