• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nisekoi 5

It's kind of amazing to look at where the anime is compared to where the manga is. The amount of progress in the former compared to the complete lack of progress in the latter is pretty crazy.

Isn't the anime just a straight adaptation of the manga so far though? At least as far as I've heard. I guess that must mean the manga actually regressed in progress from the start, which wouldn't surprise me about Nisekoi.

Isn't the anime just a straight adaptation of the manga so far though? At least as far as I've heard. I guess that must mean the manga actually regressed in progress from the start, which wouldn't surprise me about Nisekoi.

I'm saying the pacing in the beginning of the manga was very good, and then it pretty much came to a standstill with fake outs and plot points that lead nowhere. Maybe Komi was just expecting Nisekoi to get cancelled like his other (better) series.

Jex

[World Conquest Thing] - 5

This show is still pretty weird, and pretty silly, and pretty fun. A refreshingly competent production all around.

However, I would like it a lot better if it wasn't pandering to serious creepers. What I'm referring to, of course, all the scenes featuring a little girl in skimpy clothing which apprently exist solely to appeal to otaku who want to feast there eyes on that kind of thing. At the very least (and this wouldn't make me feel any better) there could be an in universe explanation of it (ala Kill la Kill) but there really isn't one. That makes me rather uncomfortable.

Articalys

If I published a new, full-size survey with most of the questions about anime watching habits, streaming, purchasing, etc. would people still want to fill it out?

Future Card BuddyFight! - Episode 6 [Eng Dub]

So from one end of the spectrum to the other, I watch another episode of BuddyFight!

This week's episode was probably the best of the episodes so far although I'm still not fond of it. That banana hair guy still gets on my nerves with all his 'yo yo' every five seconds and I feel like he's just there for comedy relief now (a real second banana!).

The battles were a bit eh. With
Banana Man being completely thrashed by Wolfie
and then
Wolfie being beaten in one turn to Gao. Not sure why he felt so bad about winning though seeing as he's unbeaten so far this series!

Oh well at least they said Buddy less this week!

Buddy Count: 33
Total Buddy Count: 295

Thoraxes

[Nisekoi] - 5

I don't know what to say, really. This is still a really fun rom-com that hasn't noticeably started to suck - yet. If one of the side characters (who are always the best character in these scenarios [and they're always the best characters in these rom-coms because the main characters never seem to be able progress the romance without their intervention and so we, as the audience, enjoy seeing them move the story because we're bored of stagnation] for good reason), Ruri, was in charge of the story then this show would be over in 11 episodes, or maybe even 6.

I don't agree that this is particularly 'Shaft' either. Apart from their obviously shitty Shaft backgrounds and the lighting there isn't much of trade of the "Shinbo-style", it's all pretty restrained compared to their usual fare. Which isn't to say that we don't get some extreme angles (bird's eye view shots, super low angle closeups etc) but most of the direction is in the service of the comedy and it's actually pretty effective. I like it.

Oh, yes, and of course there's lots of fanservice.

Positioning of shots notwithstanding, I always felt that a lot of it always boils down to the amount of and timing/pacing of the cuts. There's a certain rhythm that nobody else has really reproduced when it comes to that, and I really like it.

Quasar

Will read. But lol @ Kawahara writing three-and-a-half series at once. I have no idea how he does it >.<

And 16 bloody Accel World novels. Guy is a machine.

So did anyone read the web version of this new thing? another virtual world thing?

If I published a new, full-size survey with most of the questions about anime watching habits, streaming, purchasing, etc. would people still want to fill it out?

Sure. It should be interesting to see what everyone's habits and tastes are like!

At this point, would it be possible to call it one of the ugliest shows ever made?

Hopefully Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito is in that category too. Still can't believe that was made in 2003.

Zero No Tsukaima pulls one of the biggest 180's in anime history when it made me shed manly tears then get pissed off by the way they resolved it all non-chalant like 5 seconds later.

OceanBlue

Zero no Tsukaima 01-02
Pretty cute. And not terrible so far. Will keep watching.

I just did a double-take at the avatar.

Tokyo Ravens 16-17

Harutora level up! It's nice to see that he's able to fight on a similar level as his peers now (or maybe even on a higher level). At first I was like everyone else in enjoying the school life aspect way more than the combat aspect, but I think the increased cast size really helps make the combat way more interesting. I wonder how Harutora and everyone else will regain their main character status by the end of the show. As always, the production values of the show are pretty poor, but I'm pretty interested in seeing how the different factions and characters play out so I enjoy it overall.

Hunter X Hunter 115

It's really tense and all, but waiting week-to-week for this is really starting to grate. I almost want to put HxH on hold and watch it all in one go once the arc finishes. :<

Lol, time to continue my action anime streak with Log Horizon. I kinda want to watch World Conquest next, but apparently this episode of Log Horizon is really good.

Well, now I'll probably throw in an optional waifu question at the end for anyone who wants to answer it.

That'd look hilariously awkward if the survey is what I'm imagining haha

1. How do you go about viewing anime for your own personal pleasure?

2. How would you say the anime industry needs to improve in order to bring in a wider audience?

3. In terms of finding the balance of animation skill, voice actor selection and story quality which would you classify as the best studio?

4. Should the anime industry cater to the otaku crowd by pandering to their high school and loli loving qualities?

5. Who is your favorite waifu?

Articalys

Oh, it's not really along those lines, more about the consumer side of things than the industry, though I might think of a couple of industry-related questions that would work with the rest.

Also it's nowhere near done yet, so don't expect much for a couple more days.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 16

Even if it's handled kind of awkwardly, I appreciate that this show knows enough to pull back from the crazy now and then and do a more down-to-earth episode. But man, I wish we'd seen more of Mari's good side so we'd know why her lovers bandmates friends lovers were so devoted to her. She mostly just comes off kind of bonkers.

Next episode:
Masayoshi confesses his undying love to Goto?

Samurai Flamenco 16

Even if it's handled kind of awkwardly, I appreciate that this show knows enough to pull back from the crazy now and then and do a more down-to-earth episode. But man, I wish we'd seen more of Mari's good side so we'd know why her lovers bandmates friends lovers were so devoted to her. She mostly just comes off kind of bonkers.

Next episode:
Masayoshi confesses his undying love to Goto?

I can't give a flying fuck about Mari, but the other two bandmates are pretty cool

OceanBlue

Log Horizon 19

So good. I was so caught in the episode's pacing that I forgot I had already reached the midpoint of the episode by the time it was over. dat Minori. dat Rudy. I only thought he was okay until the big reveal at the end, but now I think he's awesome.
Him being a Person of the Land really puts his personality and actions into context and that made me appreciate him a lot more.
I felt like I was holding my breath the entire episode lol. Can it be next week already? ;_;

Theonik

Sekai Seifuku Boryaku no &#1047;&#1074;&#1077;&#1079;&#1076;&#1072; 05
iIm3eVKWiLNmO.png
This show is much too dangerious. still this was a pretty good episode. And damn is &#1044;&#1074;&#1072; stupid. And he was so close in figuring it out too.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Milky Holmes 02

Better to have the falling out earlier rather than later, I guess. The detective moment definitely brought back some memories of Milky Holmes (though Sherlock was never that competent), and the way handholding is so important for these two just really makes the yuri goggles go wild. Add that to the fact that next week's episode is all about Megumi trying to keep a secret from Seiji. That she's a Precure and, at least according to the goggles' reading, that she has a girlfriend. I love how physical the attacks this year. They may be made of magic energy, but with names like "Heart Destruction", they sound much less purifying and more like they're going to leave the enemy in pain.

Yuuko continues to be super cute. Going to love when she becomes a Cure. And I can't wait for Megumi to pull out her Samurai Flamenco powers in a week or two.

Glad to see Nozomi once again.

HappinessCharge Precure 2

Well, the Precure's that are represented at the beginning are actually random, as Cure Dream is this week's Cure

Cure Princess activated Cure Joestar! FUCK YEAH! And Gratuitious handholding with some blush at the end.

These... clothing cards apparently have more usage than you'd think. They have superfuckingpowers. There was some plot that I need to rewatch for, and Yuuko got some screen time as well. Any moment, Honey will appear to Shiawase the fuck out of people.

Anywho, a little more serious, what with Cure Princess "Jostarring" around, but I think the whole Form change could come around in episode 4, if only because the Flamenco dress was obtained at the end. Also, I think Punching a finisher is the new thing if Hime has shown us anything

Next time, Seiji actually doing something
like fighting Kindabads
Perhaps Hime believes in cooties with boys around her own age.

OceanBlue

Renge/Robin will hopefully provide even more booty as the show goes on.

Well, I know what show I'm watching next lol.

By the way, just watched Happiness Charge Precure 1. Is it just me or did it feel weird that they would have these quick cuts of animation that would immediately change into the next scene? The pacing was very quick in general, but there were a few cut-to-cut transitions that felt really awkward to me.

Kuroko's Basketball - Episode 43

What a great episode. In terms of Kagami's development as a player and as way of proving Tetsu's Basketball is viable to Aomine. When I began watching this show I felt a little disappointed after having finished shows such as Initial D and Prince of Tennis which made me choke up a little at times with how awesome/ridiculous the events happening were. It hasn't been until the last few episodes, this one specifically, that I've felt anything near what the aforementioned shows produced. I'm happy and it was a good ending and overcoming Aomine was a big goal for Kagami so it looks as if the team is set to conquer the final member of the Generation of Miracles. That's how I feel anyway.

Heroman: Series review
Heroman...
Heroman...
Heroman, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fucking day yeah,
Heroman, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way yeah,
Aliens your game is through cause now you have to answer to:
Heroman, FUCK YEAH!
So lick my butt, and serve me coffee

Heroman, FUCK YEAH!
What you going to do when he come for you now,
it’s the BONES studio that we all care; it’s the studio of tomorrow

FUCK YEAH!
Joey, FUCK YEAH!
Stan Lee, FUCK YEAH!
Eagles, FUCK YEAH!
Punk ROCK, FUCK YEAH!
NFL, FUCK, YEAH!
Rock and roll, FUCK YEAH!
CRIPPLES, FUCK YEAH!
Slavery, FUCK YEAH!

FUCK YEAH!

Starbucks, FUCK YEAH!
Waifus, FUCK YEAH!
Jailbait, FUCK YEAH!
Ice cream, FUCK YEAH!
Beach episodes, FUCK YEAH!
Character development, FUCK YEAH!
Robots, FUCK YEAH!
Middle school, FUCK YEAH!
Dead parents, FUCK YEAH!
Bed bath and beyond (Fuck yeah, Fuck yeah)

Liberty, FUCK YEAH!
Star spangled banner, FUCK YEAH!
Propane, FUCK YEAH!
Gary Stu, FUCK YEAH!
Patriotism, FUCK YEAH!
Christmas, FUCK YEAH!
SEASON 2????

This show gets a
jXVVTK4.gif
/10

Lurky

Sekai Seifuku 5

Gotdamn Kate is insanely cute. I wasn't really expecting the
tentacle monster
but I'm not complaining. Also unexpected was the amount of action in this episode. This show keep getting better every episode. Too bad there wasn't more of the hot blonde girl.

PsionBolt

As expected, HaCha 02 was significantly less astounding than HaCha 01. But it was still very good.
The most exciting part of the episode for me was the bit where
Lovely and Princess both used non-stock special attacks that are completely new. The ones last episode, we knew the names of already; I was expecting Lovely to bust out Punching Punch and Hime to use Bakudan Bomber, but they exceeded my expectations wonderfully.
I wonder if
Hime ripping off Fortune's finisher quote and punch is just because that's how all of them are going to be, or if it's actually smart. She's literally making things up as she goes, so if they acknowledge her as being inspired by Fortune, who often saves her, I'd give Toei some props. Kinda doubting it though.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I know what show I'm watching next lol.

By the way, just watched Happiness Charge Precure 1. Is it just me or did it feel weird that they would have these quick cuts of animation that would immediately change into the next scene? The pacing was very quick in general, but there were a few cut-to-cut transitions that felt really awkward to me.

The cuts seemed pretty good. It was exciting and had energy to the pacing. Maybe it was faster than you prefer? Seemed no different from other kids anime oc this sort.

Soriku

Kuroko's Basketball - Episode 43

What a great episode. In terms of Kagami's development as a player and as way of proving Tetsu's Basketball is viable to Aomine. When I began watching this show I felt a little disappointed after having finished shows such as Initial D and Prince of Tennis which made me choke up a little at times with how awesome/ridiculous the events happening were. It hasn't been until the last few episodes, this one specifically, that I've felt anything near what the aforementioned shows produced. I'm happy and it was a good ending and overcoming Aomine was a big goal for Kagami so it looks as if the team is set to conquer the final member of the Generation of Miracles. That's how I feel anyway.

Two more members...Murasakibara and Akashi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom