• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because otherwise there wouldn't be any contrast between the characters and it's not as interesting. :p

I'm fine with her giving the narration and reacting to the shit he does, but nobody messes with my Seki-kun. Or with my Robotto Kazoku.

Tonari no Seki-kun 7

This one wasn't as good. It had a considerably obvious lack of Robotto Kazoku.

My TL has so many.
BgCBx-hCEAEiUU9.png

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
...and in one fell swoop becomes the most hated man in AnimeGAF.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 18

1391358305267.jpg

Pupipo! 8

tumblr_mqbc54tKEa1sb3an5o1_r2_500.jpg

Sakura Trick 5

Y9RKCxn.jpg

Golden Time 17

1343095945541.png

Kill la Kill 17

cca.png

Tonari no Seki-kun 6 and Tonari no Seki-kun 7

QuCZ3pX.gif

Space☆Dandy 6

HAglp3P.jpg

Pupa 5

ZC2lN.jpg

Mushi-shi 12

84sIQq3.jpg

Narag

She was my main problem with the two episodes I watched. This is a visual medium, YOU DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN A VISUAL JOKE.

It's her internal monologue reconciling his actions to herself. Without that, you don't need her, and without her you're just going to watch some kid screw around in class with no reaction or consequence.

Shergal

It's her internal monologue reconciling his actions to herself. Without that, you don't need her, and without her you're just going to watch some kid screw around in class with no reaction or consequence.

That's one thing, but "OMG He's doing X!" "Now he's doing Y!" is terrible. I haven't watched the last couple eps of Seki-kun, and it's more of a general problem that plagues every anime comedy but still.

Narag

That's one thing, but "OMG He's doing X!" "Now he's doing Y!" is terrible. I haven't watched the last couple eps of Seki-kun, and it's more of a general problem that plagues every anime comedy but still.

I can empathize even if II find it much more bearable in humor at the very least. It drives me batshit when it's going on in dramatic settings. That sort of thing really hurt Attack on Titan and, in a more bizarre case, NBC's Olympics opening ceremony where you had talking heads explaining the show as it went on because the audience is assumed to be an idiot.

Is all of Bunny Drop recorded with 35mm film? The cold openings appear much brighter and vibrant than the main content of the series. Kind of reminds me of the artistic style used for Wandering Son.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA - 1 to 3

Tm0pUPD.jpg

Being a pretty big Type-Moon fan I'm not sure how this one slipped under my radar. I wasn't really expecting anything going into it but from the first 3 episodes it appears to be more sincere than I first considered. Obviously alternate stories and settings with the base cast is a common idea with Type-Moon works and this one has a similar feeling to Nanoha. At least I think so.

Should be a good watch to say the least, a second season coming soon is pretty encouraging too. Although I suppose many shows get second seasons despite not being great.

Yowamushi Pedal OVA

b1BXjNxl.jpg

Cycling, bonding, more cycling and more bonding. I actually forgot Onoda's otaku nature since it hasn't come up in the anime recently.

Theonik

Is all of Bunny Drop recorded with 35mm film? The cold openings appear much brighter and vibrant than the main content of the series. Kind of reminds me of the artistic style used for Wandering Son.
As far as I know no. It's all digital post-processing magic.

survivor

Banned
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day Movie
I8izUDX.jpg

Just came back from watching it and I can't believe how it ended up being much better than the TV. The structure of the movie really helped it a lot and ended up with a much better pacing.
Instead of spending a lot of time figuring out what was Menma's wish, the movie just focused on the main characters and how they felt about Menma and the day they lost her while adding quick flashbacks and montages from the TV show. So it mixes a lot of new animation footage with old recycled ones from the show.
Of course the best part is when Secret Base was played and it was amazing, it was very hard holding back all these tears ;_; There was also another really well done song that played during movies only footage, I gotta hunt down the title cause it was almost as emotional as secret base. Anyway, gonna be very hard to top this movie this year. Just very good.

Oh yeah, the theater wasn't fully packed, but I guess it was cool seeing all these anime fans gathered together. Someone was cosplaying as Menma, and before the movie began there were bunch of people singing Attack on Titan OP and Madoka's ED. What I'm pissed about however was how I missed my chance to get the postcard. I came in 15 minutes earlier and yet they still ran out, fuck. Gonna have to see if I can buy one online if it's not too expensive. So mad seeing all these people carrying theirs while I missed my chance.

Also not sure if matters anymore since I don't think the movie is playing anywhere after today, but there was a funny scene after the credits. Glad I stayed for it.

Shergal

I can empathize even if II find it much more bearable in humor at the very least. It drives me batshit when it's going on in dramatic settings. That sort of thing really hurt Attack on Titan and, in a more bizarre case, NBC's Olympics opening ceremony where you had talking heads explaining the show as it went on because the audience is assumed to be an idiot.

Oh yes, that's even worse.

Although I don't think it's quite the same thing. That kind of action/explanation in CAPS humour seems to come from manzai. Hell it's almost always framed the same way, with the idiot doing his idiot thing and then it zooms out and a face comes from the side with the reaction.

I much prefer the kind of thing that went on in, say, the Chess episode of Seki-kun. Since she's not actually describing the events literally but rather narrating her own story because she got caught in it, it feels way less redundant and can actually contribute to the humour. I did laugh at some of her 'punchlines' in that part.

Nobunaga Za Furdo 6

Talk shit about the show all you want, but this was a pretty solid episode. This show is at its best when it attempts to recreate light novel-like history and doesn't focus on the shitty mecha. Also I assume that because it's based off history that explains why
we have two major character deaths in one episode

I'm enjoying this show as ridiculous as that may sound. It's certainly more entertaining for me than a show about moe high school girls

Nafe

I think a lot of people might be taken aback on SM2014 if it really is a close manga adaptation even if it's well executed. We'll see!

Yeah, I've been looking a bit more at the manga lately and things such as the fate of
Jadeite
could surprise people.

There's also enough character changes where everyone might seem familiar but also quite different. Rei doesn't seem interested in men in the manga, so their isn't that relationship she has with Mamoru in the anime. There's also the relationship between the characters
Nephrite and Naru
in the anime which doesn't seem to happen in the manga.

I've only glanced through up to the fate of
Jadeite
but it sounds like Minako is also a bit more serious in the manga. She still has her silly side but she sounds more like how she's portrayed when first introduced in the anime. She also seems closer to Rei somewhat more like the live action version.

It seems like in the anime, at least near the beginning, the episodes there are more anime original monster of the week style. Following the manga it would seem to be more like the live action adaptation where Ami and Rei are introduced much quicker. Depending how many of the later episodes are like this it seems like it could be more easily closer to a 25 episode show compared to the 46 of the original.

I'm personally pretty curious to see what the character designs will look like. Will they be kind of the general more modern style or will they also try to mimic the manga designs? I guess people will also be happy that even though they're about the same age as the girls in PreCure they'll probably actually have more feminine bodies with developed breasts and it won't be that big of a deal if they're interested in a guy.

jman2050

Watching an MMO cheater fight a loli basketball player in Green Hill Zone is not something I imagined seeing in my lifetime.

Has the Anohana movie come out in blu-ray yet? I assume not since the Knk movie is only about to come out in blu-ray this month I believe. And that came out slightly earlier.

Acosta

It will be great to have a "Beat Kirito'em Up". Too bad there are no fatalities.

Log Horizon 18

I approve this design change for Raynesia:

Now she just needs some attack that sounds like "Nibelung Valesti!" and she is perfect.

Theonik

I guess this reviewer got some facts wrong, or is thinking of the live-action film.

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/rev...ay-review.html

Is there a reason why the art style changes from the cold openings to the main content though?
That is odd. I can't find confirmation of this anywhere.

No one uses film in animation anymore. Not for over a decade now.
What's strange is that reviewer seems aware of this and is implying Usagi Drop is a special case!

Nafe

I haven't posted here for some time it seems. I read the thread often enough so I guess it doesn't seem like I'm not here compared to everyone else,haha.

Happy Belated Birthday to Link Man. It sounds like you had a good day.

---

The topic of twitter came up and someone mentioned that firehawk and friends had posted their newest podcast. You can listen to it here if you'd like:http://thatothersquadcast.podomatic.com/entry/2014-02-04T13_45_31-08_00

I was "scrubbing" through it as firehawk would say,haha. I got about an hour in and Crazy Canuck mentioned that someone dressed up as Seki from Tonari no Seki-kun and was filmed doing a live action version of the shows ending. I'm not sure if this is what he was talking about or not:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_X2tgR7Sg

I found a couple of other videos of people playing the ending theme with different items as well if anyone wants to take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWvdHM5gC5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okoP3lZCiug

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 13

Inori CHIFFON focus episode! Yeah, yeah, Cure Pine got a new attack, but Chiffon
learned to talk
! Now which of those is more impressive, huh?!

Just kidding around, Inori, I love you really <3

That is odd. I can't find confirmation of this anywhere.

What's strange is that reviewer seems aware of this and is implying Usagi Drop is a special case!

Maybe the reviewer confused the anime with the live-action movie. The live-action film is stated to have used 35mm film according to numerous sites after a Google search.

All of u ppl h8 on kirito all the time but you obviously dont understend his issues, lyk when ur girlfriend is captured by a perv and u have to rescue her he is not a bad character all of u r just jealous over how cool he is

jbug617

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 6-7

This time Seki-kun is
irresponsible guardian (those have to be transformers right?) and a diligent postal worker. The misunderstanding is going to pick up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I call it "Speedwagoning". Like, I barely made it through Phantom Blood because of that.

The difference, I think, between Yokoi's role in Seki-kun and that of a redundant stand-in narrator in a shounen action work is that in the latter, you already have the full context for what's happening on screen. Character dialogue and proper usage of the visual medium ensure that in most cases, what's happening on screen is self-evident without the need for someone standing on the sidelines giving the play-by-play.

What's different about Seki-kun is that neither of these contextual elements are fully present--Seki is a silent protagonist and, while the events of each skit are occurring on a literal level, the show is actually concerned with how they occur on the level within Seki's imagination. Yokoi is filling in actual gaps for the viewer, but it's incorrect to reduce her role to mere narrator because the skits are as much about her reactions to Seki's playing as the actual absurdity of Seki using mundane objects to create complex, grandiose scenarios. It's about her gradual progression from bewilderment to understanding to full emotional investment in each narrative that Seki creates. I don't see how the humor can even work without third-person narration--the entire premise is predicated on a character finding ways to covertly entertain himself in complete silence.

I mean, I can't fault anyone for not finding it funny because comedy is subjective, but I also don't see Yokoi serving the same function as Speedwagon at all. It's more nuanced and the natural consequence of a chosen joke format.

duckroll

Maybe the reviewer confused the anime with the live-action movie. The live-action film is stated to have used 35mm film according to numerous sites after a Google search.

Well, it has to be a mistake since I doubt it's even possible to make animation with film in the modern industry. The infrastructure simply does not exist. Today the animation frames are just about the only things which exist physically. Some productions use hand drawn backgrounds, but even that is rare. All clean-up, finishing, painting, etc are done digitally. The entire industry has streamlined towards digital composite, so the very idea of shooting something on film for animation is no longer practical. There would be no benefit to it anyway unless the entire production is done like it was in the past, and that's impossible because you won't even be able to find people to do that sort of post-production.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Excluding Sazae-san, what was the last anime television series to be traditionally animated? Shingu?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What is the point of the two-opposing-sides structure if you're going to tell the same story in twice? It's like if The Doctor's Daughter was 2 hours long. It makes no sense at all.

Space Dandy 06 could have literally been 50% shorter and it would be better for it.

Jex

Space Dandy 06 could have literally been 50% shorter and it wouldn't make a difference and be better for it.

Well they were clearly tired of people complaining that the second halves were always better than the first halves and so they made it all pretty much the same! Effective, no? Anyway, 'running jokes into the ground' kind of feels like the theme of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom