• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or I could watch an actually funny comedy, like Community or Archer.
You didn't say anime comedy!

7WVI8gc.gif

Archer ftw, the new season has been amazing so far. Haven't seen the new Community season but I hear it has redeemed itself from last season with Dan Harmon back

Well, it has to be a mistake since I doubt it's even possible to make animation with film in the modern industry. The infrastructure simply does not exist. Today the animation frames are just about the only things which exist physically. Some productions use hand drawn backgrounds, but even that is rare. All clean-up, finishing, painting, etc are done digitally. The entire industry has streamlined towards digital composite, so the very idea of shooting something on film for animation is no longer practical. There would be no benefit to it anyway unless the entire production is done like it was in the past, and that's impossible because you won't even be able to find people to do that sort of post-production.

I was just going off of information from Google searching "Usagi Drop 35mm film" and found a few results here and there like this.

http://showgate.jp/en/archive_films/archive_films.html

Other films besides Bunny Drop have 35mm listed, while a couple list digital.

duckroll

What is the point of the two-opposing-sides structure if you're going to tell the same story in twice? It's like if The Doctor's Daughter was 2 hours long. It makes no sense at all.

Space Dandy 06 could have literally been 50% shorter and it would be better for it.

Well they were clearly tired of people complaining that the second halves were always better than the first halves and so they made it all pretty much the same! Effective, no? Anyway, 'running jokes into the ground' kind of feels like the theme of the show.

At least the jokes are about a somewhat humorous alien race that doomsday-ed themselves over a stupid argument about shirts or pants. Beats Twitter jokes and moe boobie decoy jokes.

I was just going off of information from Google searching "Usagi Drop 35mm film" and found a few results here and there like this.

http://showgate.jp/en/archive_films/archive_films.html

Other films besides Bunny Drop have 35mm listed, while a couple list digital.

I'm talking about animation. Of course it's still possible to shoot live action in 35mm. Getting much harder, but still possible. I meant that it's actually impossible to make animation these days with actual film. The entire process is too reliant on digital materials.

Jex

At least the jokes are about a somewhat humorous alien race that doomsday-ed themselves over a stupid argument about shirts or pants. Beats Twitter jokes and moe boobie decoy jokes.

You're certainly right, it is a step in the right direction, I suppose, but I found that previous episode was better and that wasn't even really about jokes!

In short, Space Dandy > Space Dandy (sometimes).

duckroll

You're certainly right, it is a step in the right direction, I suppose, but I found that previous episode was better and that wasn't even really about jokes!

In short, Space Dandy > Space Dandy (sometimes).

The good news is probably that we won't have to deal with another "stupid" episode again until ep9. If all the stupid episodes were like ep6 or better, I would be pretty okay with it. Just as long as we don't slip back down into ep1-3 territory again.

Next week we have mechs in a deadly space race, from the director and main animators of Code Geass. Can't possibly not be entertaining!

Articalys

Also, for Space Dandy episode 6, for the dub at least, it helped that the voice actors for the aliens (of whom one was apparently Sonny Strait) were hysterical in an intentionally so-bad-it's-good way.

Vito

Banned
No one uses film in animation anymore. Not for over a decade now.

Only for cutting it up and giving it away with theater tickets or blurays.

Well, it has to be a mistake since I doubt it's even possible to make animation with film in the modern industry. The infrastructure simply does not exist. Today the animation frames are just about the only things which exist physically. Some productions use hand drawn backgrounds, but even that is rare. All clean-up, finishing, painting, etc are done digitally. The entire industry has streamlined towards digital composite, so the very idea of shooting something on film for animation is no longer practical. There would be no benefit to it anyway unless the entire production is done like it was in the past, and that's impossible because you won't even be able to find people to do that sort of post-production.

People really ought to check out the documentary Oga Kazuo Exhibition - The One Who Painted Totoro's Forest. I know it's mainly background work, but I think it has a neat segmet where it shows how they did a pan with cels and any an example with layers moving at different speeds. It looks like such a pain in the ass, I have no idea why anyone would want to do that.

I'm talking about animation. Of course it's still possible to shoot live action in 35mm. Getting much harder, but still possible. I meant that it's actually impossible to make animation these days with actual film. The entire process is too reliant on digital materials.

I will take your word for it as I am by means a video expert. I just found it fascinating that Bunny Drop might have been animated this way.

It's a shame the whole series was not animated in the artistic style used in the cold openings though.

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ - Episodes 41-49 [END]

A brilliant end to a amazing series. The last 4 episodes were absolutly perfect and it definately was a better end to the series than the first series. It showed how much they cared about Hana, doing things that would put themselves at risk in order to protect her
even if it meant falling asleep for 1000 years

Episode 44 was pretty good as well and was tonal shift from last series' more happy Christmas episode. This one was more emotional but this time focusing on all of the ojamajo instead of just one of them. I loved Pop's piano recital which was a great follow up to Episode 40.

Also I may have mentioned this before but Oyajide is an awesome villain and I would say he's my favourite character. I hope he appears more in Motto. I just love how he can switch from a confedant swarmy aristocrat to bumbling Onpu obsessed old man in no time at all.

So yeah on to Motto now!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Only for cutting it up and giving it away with theater tickets or blurays.

You know, if anime publishers did what the LWA2 kickstarter did and offered randomized genga with special edition releases, I would probably be too weak to stop myself from purchasing at least one JP volume of something I really love every now and again.

Jex

The good news is probably that we won't have to deal with another "stupid" episode again until ep9. If all the stupid episodes were like ep6 or better, I would be pretty okay with it. Just as long as we don't slip back down into ep1-3 territory again.

Next week we have mechs in a deadly space race, from the director and main animators of Code Geass. Can't possibly not be entertaining!

Nothing can possibly go wrong with that.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ - Episodes 41-49 [END]

A brilliant end to a amazing series. The last 4 episodes were absolutly perfect and it definately was a better end to the series than the first series. It showed how much they cared about Hana, doing things that would put themselves at risk in order to protect her
even if it meant falling asleep for 1000 years

Episode 44 was pretty good as well and was tonal shift from last series' more happy Christmas episode. This one was more emotional but this time focusing on all of the ojamajo instead of just one of them. I loved Pop's piano recital which was a great follow up to Episode 40.

Also I may have mentioned this before but Oyajide is an awesome villain and I would say he's my favourite character. I hope he appears more in Motto. I just love how he can switch from a confedant swarmy aristocrat to bumbling Onpu obsessed old man in no time at all.

So yeah on to Motto now!
Did you watch the Sharp movie before 40 as told? Didn't notice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What are people expecting from Space Dandy anywho? Maybe it's because I approach the show with a similar mindset to how I'd approach a Dandy comic so I just enjoy it as a lighthearted romp.

duckroll

I will take your word for it as I am by means a video expert. I just found it fascinating that Bunny Drop might have been animated this way.

It's a shame the whole series was not animated in the artistic style used in the cold openings though.

If you get a craving, just watch Wandering Son again. :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 18:

The smile of Tachi will forever haunt my nightmares. Also this was never about the game, the score doesn't matter, this was about testing the mettle of the rookies at high levels of fatigue and seeing how well they held up and how much they have to go, which is quite a bit.

Articalys

I dont undersrand whats the meme here
Here's an explanation from a recent Crunchyroll article about it:
Here, the young man told the interviewer that he enjoys being together with a loved one during a snow storm... which prompted a hit of blushing and a whole lot of tribute art.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ouples-snow-storm-interview-inspires-new-meme

Though it seems the interview and screencap are from January 2013? Not sure what's going on really or how it got picked up virally and became a meme now...

Log Horizon 18
I approve this design change for Raynesia:

Now she just needs some attack that sounds like "Nibelung Valesti!" and she is perfect.
Enjoy this look... the valkyrie armor effect.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA - 1 to 3

Should be a good watch to say the least, a second season coming soon is pretty encouraging too. Although I suppose many shows get second seasons despite not being great.

But Kaleid spin-off is great.
Trully.

Yes, the song's name is "Danran! Robot Kazoku". Track 8 on the CD (and track 9 is a karaoke version of it.)

団欒(だんらん)!ロボット家族

Sitting Together! Robot Family

So actually yes.

bahahahaha yes. Win.

Gatchaman Crowds 1-12: Series Review

So a whole series later, Hajime's character grew on me a bit. I still find her character itself extremely annoying and a contrast to all of the other Gatchaman, which even if her character not being a regular protagonist was the point it didn't help. But I appreciated what she meant to the team as a whole and how she changed them.

The series itself was apparently a commentary on social media, internet use and how they affect society (or a possible future if we continue down this path). I liked the idea of GALAX before it went batshit insane, so I wouldn't mind a future like that honestly. The use of 3d models for the Gatchaman was surprisingly great as it contrasted how ridiculous they're supposed to be to regular folks.

As to the characters themselves, my favorite characters had to be Joe, OD and Paiman

Joe because of his cool disillusion with humanity and
suicidal tendencies
, OD for his humor and
ultimate badass nature in the last episode
, and Pai pai for how much he evolved by the end of the show. The rest of the characters were great to, but these three just stood out for me.

Finally I need to talk about the villain. This has been one of the most fantastic villains I've seen recently in anime. Just pure playful insane evil, and the voice acting really sold me over making him/her likable in the pure insanity.

I gotta give the series a solid 7.5/10. I personally would have liked more battles but I'm looking forward to the next season. Now to figure out
who Hajime was talking to at the end

Acosta

One Piece 632

hahaha the Spanish setting is cracking me up, there is flamenco and everything. "Pata negra", lol.

One thing I always have enjoyed of One Piece is the variety of its world, it´s really a shame there is not a proper MMO or big RPG based on it.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 14

Inori can talk to animals now? That's awesome. Also red herrings abound about who's going to be the fourth Cure. Kaoru-chan would clearly be the greatest choice though XD Hey, it would make up for the other Kaoru never being made an official Cure back in Splash Star! =p

If you get a craving, just watch Wandering Son again. :)

I should do that and maybe pick up the six translated manga volumes that are available now. Reminds me that I should read my reflection paper that incorporated Wandering Son back from college, that is if I can find the file in the numerous flashdrives I used back then.

Mr.Jeff

5 hours and 41 proper size pages later.

ey dat's me. fk non non boring after episode one.
I pretty much agree with you on this. The first episode, while it had humour, focused a lot more on the uncertainty of a new person being a new environment.

Then the 2nd episode rolls around and despite keeping somewhat of the new girl angle, it devolves into boring wacky high school hijinks.

*spins the R1 license wheel*

Hmm, looks like it landed on "NISA licenses the movie Fuse: Teppou Musume no Torimonochou (Memoirs of a Huntress) for a Blu-ray release in May".

Think I saw a few impressions of this before in the thread, though I can't recall if they were positive, negative, or neutral.
It's alright, there's some nice bits but the plot has a bit of a incomprehensible ending and despite having a female lead, she gets fuck all development and more time is spend on the pretty boy voiced by Miyano.

Yes. Majocco.
Despite my complaints about some parts of it, I can pretty much guarantee that you will enjoy this film. Purely because the little sister character that appears is fucking adorable.

Also both madp and Branduil haven't watched Mushishi? Sad times.

cajunator

Banned
I haven't posted here for some time it seems. I read the thread often enough so I guess it doesn't seem like I'm not here compared to everyone else,haha.

Happy Belated Birthday to Link Man. It sounds like you had a good day.

---

The topic of twitter came up and someone mentioned that firehawk and friends had posted their newest podcast. You can listen to it here if you'd like:http://thatothersquadcast.podomatic.com/entry/2014-02-04T13_45_31-08_00

I was "scrubbing" through it as firehawk would say,haha. I got about an hour in and Crazy Canuck mentioned that someone dressed up as Seki from Tonari no Seki-kun and was filmed doing a live action version of the shows ending. I'm not sure if this is what he was talking about or not:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_X2tgR7Sg

I found a couple of other videos of people playing the ending theme with different items as well if anyone wants to take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWvdHM5gC5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okoP3lZCiug

ok thats impressive. Im not surprised that someone did it.

It will be great to have a "Beat Kirito'em Up". Too bad there are no fatalities.

Log Horizon 18

I approve this design change for Raynesia:

Now she just needs some attack that sounds like "Nibelung Valesti!" and she is perfect.

That silver hair. My weakness.

Now that I'm finished with Gatchaman and other relatively smaller shows in my list I wanted to watch, now it's time to see what to watch next. Currently I have

Tegami Bachi Letter Bee, Senyu and Natsume Yujin-cho to start and watch alongside other shows I'm currently watching (currently airing stuff, SKET Dance and FMP)

I already know Natsume is supposed to be really good, but that one is like 50+ episodes, same with Tegami Bachi Letter Bee. Senyu has 20 something episodes so it seems like it'd be the shortest to finish. Are Tegami Bachi or Senyu any good? Haven't heard anything over the former before and the latter seems to be comedy which I can usually watch with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom