• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favorites that I've seen.

DB4E2tv.png

And the other Kill la Kill one that I can't post because of the spoiler.

It's alright, there's some nice bits but the plot has a bit of a incomprehensible ending and despite having a female lead, she gets fuck all development and more time is spend on the pretty boy voiced by Miyano.

Wellllll, I guess I should give it a watch someday.

duckroll

If it's not the one currently in Crunchyroll then no. But I figured out what went on after I thought about it a bit more. Is the ending not the one with the flash forward?

The director's cut version of the final episode on the BD set they just released in Japan last month has like half an episode's worth of extra footage that basically fills out all the stuff they didn't complete during the TV run. Lots of stuff after the Tachikawa Crowds Game, Hajime's final confrontation with Berg Katse, more stuff in the flash forward, etc.

Mr.Jeff

Not really seeing any problems here.
Because he's unfortunately pretty dull as well. Although I guess trying to sell a film as a romance when your main female has zero personality other than to get wooed by Miyano is one way to make money.

Me neither honestly!
Surrounded by heathens. Although this is from someone with notable gaps in his anime watching history like Utena and LotGH.

Also, for those looking for FC's, I did some raiding of the thread and added them to the secret AnimeGAF list which can be found by quoting this post.

Branduil

I guess this reviewer got some facts wrong, or is thinking of the live-action film.

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/bunny-drop-complete-series-premium-edition-blu-ray-review.html

Is there a reason why the art style changes from the cold openings to the main content though?

It's just a different style of digital painting, it's not "filmed" any differently. It's probably more expensive than the rest of the show, which is why they only use it for the openings.

There really wouldn't be any advantage to filming an anime now. Besides what duckroll said, filming animation was a painstaking and slow process. Look up the multiplane camera too see how complicated trying to film scenes with depth was before digital compositing and rendering. That's not even getting into stuff like the painting of physical cels, image degradation from using too many layers, or making sure you use the right colors for the right layer.

Oh and if you make a mistake you're kind of screwed.

Theonik

Surrounded by heathens. Although this is from someone with notable gaps in his anime watching history like Utena and LotGH.

Also, for those looking for FC's, I did some raiding of the thread and added them to the secret AnimeGAF list which can be found by quoting this post.
At least I've seen Utena and part of LotGH!

cajunator

Banned
Yet SAO has fatalities.

iPuPNSPQGYYtI.gif

Yet due to this being in the game he won't die in real life!

whaaaaaat the hell? Thats pretty violent.

What are people expecting from Space Dandy anywho? Maybe it's because I approach the show with a similar mindset to how I'd approach a Dandy comic so I just enjoy it as a lighthearted romp.

So far the show is exactly what I was expecting it to be. Not serious. Not complex. Just a fun space action show with over the top craziness and exaggeration thrown in. Its perfect.

You don't like those other games because there are no cute thing in them.

Theres nothing cute in mgr either. The difference is mgr is all action and not stupid stealth. Stealth is the absolute worst.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

It's on the short list, but my time management is more horrible than it's ever been so I can't make any promises.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nobunagun Episode 6:

Discount Aliens or discount The Thing? You make the call! Also, can we ship Gaudi back to Digimon where he belongs, because he is awful and I hate him.

Because he's unfortunately pretty dull as well. Although I guess trying to sell a film as a romance when your main female has zero personality other than to get wooed by Miyano is one way to make money.

Should probably state that I'm near full and will be stingy on that one spot if I don't have you. Oh my, it even has my old username. *doesn't have my MAL page* this isn't a very well thought out list.

JoeFu

Banned
Nobunagun Episode 6:

Discount Aliens or discount The Thing? You make the call! Also, can we ship Gaudi back to Digimon where he belongs, because he is awful and I hate him.

Yeah I didn't like this episode that much. The main cast is more interesting. Also what's up with the girls with giant lips?

cajunator

Banned
Here's an explanation from a recent Crunchyroll article about it:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ouples-snow-storm-interview-inspires-new-meme

Though it seems the interview and screencap are from January 2013? Not sure what's going on really or how it got picked up virally and became a meme now...

Thanks for the explanation

Now that I'm finished with Gatchaman and other relatively smaller shows in my list I wanted to watch, now it's time to see what to watch next. Currently I have

Tegami Bachi Letter Bee, Senyu and Natsume Yujin-cho to start and watch alongside other shows I'm currently watching (currently airing stuff, SKET Dance and FMP)

I already know Natsume is supposed to be really good, but that one is like 50+ episodes, same with Tegami Bachi Letter Bee. Senyu has 20 something episodes so it seems like it'd be the shortest to finish. Are Tegami Bachi or Senyu any good? Haven't heard anything over the former before and the latter seems to be comedy which I can usually watch with no issues.

Letter bee? That was a fun game. So theres an anime made from it?

Favorites that I've seen.

And the other Kill la Kill one that I can't post because of the spoiler.

Ok yeah these are pretty cute.

It's just a different style of digital painting, it's not "filmed" any differently. It's probably more expensive than the rest of the show, which is why they only use it for the openings.

There really wouldn't be any advantage to filming an anime now. Besides what duckroll said, filming animation was a painstaking and slow process. Look up the multiplane camera too see how complicated trying to film scenes with depth was before digital compositing and rendering. That's not even getting into stuff like the painting of physical cels, image degradation from using too many layers, or making sure you use the right colors for the right layer.

Oh and if you make a mistake you're kind of screwed.

I figured that was due to production costs. Definitely worth the money though.

I remember watching some documentary going through how Disney did this process; I think they showed off Popeye being produced. Haven't seen anything relating to anime with this process besides sakuga clips.

Letter bee? That was a fun game. So theres an anime made from it?.

I don't know if there's a game for it as I don't see one listed in the wiki page. But yes. Seems to have decent enough ratings (it's in the top 500-700 or so of MAL's list of top anime which I tend to like if I give a try). I might give it a watch next as I'm already watching a comedy in SKET Dance so Senyu wouldn't get the attention it wants. Either ways this will all be later as currently I'mma start Bravely Default.

The sad thing is that I'm still waiting Mr.Jeff to add me. (._____.)

Mr.Jeff

It's on the short list, but my time management is more horrible than it's ever been so I can't make any promises.
Well it's not like I'm seriously trying to pressure people to watch it. I just like trying to push more people to try and watch it even if they can't do so at that particular time.

Goodness knows I've made enough mental notes to watch something and then get distracted by something that was utter garbage instead.

Oh my.

Also that's not my FC as far as I know of.
Odd. I'm sure I stole found it in one of the previous threads. Oh well.

Should probably state that I'm near full and will be stingy on that one spot if I don't have you. Oh my, it even has my old username. *doesn't have my MAL page* this isn't a very well thought out list.
Well it was created a while ago and purely through links I've found in previous threads or stuff that Nafe's posted. It's open to being edited though if you're of a mind to change details and such,

Edit:
The sad thing is that I'm still waiting Mr.Jeff to add me. (._____.)
Wait I didn't? I could have sworn I did. I shall rectify that immediately.

cnet128

Banned
Buddy Complex 6

I'm having trouble deciding who's the ultimate DTL character in this show. Is it the new guy From, with his Kaji Yuuki voice, flawlessly charming yet boyish appearance, and extreme friendliness with everyone? Or is it Aoba, for his ability to instantly become a perfect "couple" with any guy he's just met? Truly a conundrum.

...Now if only this episode contained more of Mayuka in that swimsuit.

Articalys

Anyone who hasn't already read the Nisekoi manga need to at least wait until Tsugumi and Marika show up before making a full judgment.

Just realised that Ichiro Nagai's final voice acting role as Namihei was in today's Sazae-san. He's succeeded by Chafurin who voices Juzo from Detective Conan.

Now that I'm finished with Gatchaman and other relatively smaller shows in my list I wanted to watch, now it's time to see what to watch next. Currently I have

Tegami Bachi Letter Bee, Senyu and Natsume Yujin-cho to start and watch alongside other shows I'm currently watching (currently airing stuff, SKET Dance and FMP)

I already know Natsume is supposed to be really good, but that one is like 50+ episodes, same with Tegami Bachi Letter Bee. Senyu has 20 something episodes so it seems like it'd be the shortest to finish. Are Tegami Bachi or Senyu any good? Haven't heard anything over the former before and the latter seems to be comedy which I can usually watch with no issues.

Natsume is amazing, one of the best storytelling experiences in anime.

Tegami Bachi is a personal fave, love the manga art and story. Anime is fairly good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AnoHana: Letters to Menma
ejJfIo4.png

I know the name of the flower that we saw that day!

So zeroshiki watched it last year for me, so I figure I'd go watch it myself since I actually had the chance to do so. Funny enough, I think the disc they used must be one they're planning to release because it started with a big fat FBI warning right at the beginning.

The movie is a retelling of the series, but framed around the lives of the characters a year after the end of the series. On balance, I would say it's more heavily tilted toward old footage, but there's a significant amount of new material with the characters in the "present".

To be a bit specific, the movie is about the characters replying to the letters that Menma wrote to them before she ascended in the original series. It's actually a smart way to do a recap, inasmuch as you get to see the series play out again but from the perspective of each of the six characters. The funny thing is, we all know that Okada seems to be okay at doing adaptations, and as an "adaptation" of her own work, the movie actually works quite well in that regard.

Yeah, there are moments that you probably won't understand if you don't have the context of the series (which I'm sure zeroshiki experienced), but the characters each provide enough of background commentary that you can easily piece together the story of the series without having to "suffer" through the entire show.

What I found funny was that the infamous Secret Base moment was replayed in all its glory on the big screen without any changes and it still got me. lol

As for all the scenes that take place in the "present", it was nice to see where their lives have gone. It's not enough time for them to have completely moved past their experience with Menma, but there was enough time for them to at least understand everything that happened during that whole event and learn something more about themselves. It was a very, very, :firehawk look at people learning to move on after a traumatic event.

Now, I didn't hate the original series like a lot of people - I bought it for what it was and thought it was okay at what it was trying to do, Okadaisms and all. Maybe I'm getting older (I played Citadel yesterday and that allowed me to forgive Mass Effect 3), but the movie made me at least remember the series much more fondly than I probably did at the time. I can see the pieces and what they were trying to go for in the series with the entire cast of characters, and some of the seemingly absurd events like re-enacting the "confrontation" that led to Menma's death suddenly made much more sense. Hell, even Yukiatsu's weird crossdressing trauma somehow seems justified when they movie rehashed it.

I can't imagine anyone will be convinced either way though. I will say, if you liked the series at all (and I can understand if you feel embarrassed to admit it here), the movie is definitely worth watching.

And, I'll say it again - Secret Base in a theatre with all those speakers at max volume was a great experience. lol

Soma

Should probably update mine since I don't go by moonspeak anymore <_<

And I actually have a friend code finally!

Branduil

We told you exactly what the show was and you watched it anyway?

What did you think the show was about? It's a Shounen Jump romcom.

I was told it was better than Space Dandy. Clearly, we've been watching different Space Dandies.

I mean when your shtick is so old that it was parodied famously twenty years before your show even existed it's time to learn how to write and not just reassemble tropes into a countlessly done form.

Theonik

I mean when your shtick is so old that it was parodied famously twenty years before your show even existed it's time to learn how to write and not just reassemble tropes into a countlessly done form.
And you haven't even read the manga. That shit gets vile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom