• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Should've watched Angel Beats. :)

ibrTAeZbEmK5iI.jpg

I was told it was better than Space Dandy. Clearly, we've been watching different Space Dandies.

I mean when your shtick is so old that it was parodied famously twenty years before your show even existed it's time to learn how to write and not just reassemble tropes into a countlessly done form.

I don't think the claim that it's better than Space Dandy is very common. Not that they're really comparable of course.

Dresden

still watching:

Noragami
Seki-kun
Dandy

on deck:

Hozuki no Reitetsu

from last season:

Gundam Build Fighters
Yowamushi Pedal
KLK

Gazoinks

Anyone who hasn't already read the Nisekoi manga need to at least wait until Tsugumi and Marika show up before making a full judgment.

I'll take your word for it, but from my impressions of the show so far I don't feel like it'd benefit from adding more of a harem (I assume they're love interests, yes?). As it is, I think the show's at its best when focusing on Raku and Chitoge's relationship, spiced up by yakuza hijinks. Not stupid key childhood friend bla bla bla.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I didn't think Nisekoi was being sold as anything other than a :shaft adaption of a reasonably well done take on the shounen romcom classic tropes.

Still Watching

Future Card BuddyFight

From Last Season

Gundam Build Fighters
Log Horizon
Kill la Kill

I really need to pick something up from this season.

duckroll

Noragami - Episode 6

Looks like the main plot is kicking in. It's a more serious episode than usual, but handled fairly well. It's interesting to watch the various things they've been building up with Yato starting to converge - his past, his nature, his relationship with Yukine, etc. Bishamon is depicted in a pretty fascinating way here. It's a pretty cool way to design a god of war around the consistency and logic of the setting. Makes sense that she would have an "army" of regalia, each being different types of weapons and support tools. There was more posing than actual action in the fights this week, but when there was action, it was done really well. Mmmm.

This continues to be the superior BONES show of the season.

----

I was told it was better than Space Dandy. Clearly, we've been watching different Space Dandies.

I mean when your shtick is so old that it was parodied famously twenty years before your show even existed it's time to learn how to write and not just reassemble tropes into a countlessly done form.

You should have listened to Hosanna and watched Hozuki instead. :p

survivor

Banned
AnoHana: Letters to Menma
I know the name of the flower that we saw that day!

So zeroshiki watched it last year for me, so I figure I'd go watch it myself since I actually had the chance to do so. Funny enough, I think the disc they used must be one they're planning to release because it started with a big fat FBI warning right at the beginning.
Yeah I saw the FBI warning logo, it never hit me, but no other movies I watched had that which is pretty funny.

The movie is a retelling of the series, but framed around the lives of the characters a year after the end of the series. On balance, I would say it's more heavily tilted toward old footage, but there's a significant amount of new material with the characters in the "present".

To be a bit specific, the movie is about the characters replying to the letters that Menma wrote to them before she ascended in the original series. It's actually a smart way to do a recap, inasmuch as you get to see the series play out again but from the perspective of each of the six characters. The funny thing is, we all know that Okada seems to be okay at doing adaptations, and as an "adaptation" of her own work, the movie actually works quite well in that regard.

Yeah, there are moments that you probably won't understand if you don't have the context of the series (which I'm sure zeroshiki experienced), but the characters each provide enough of background commentary that you can easily piece together the story of the series without having to "suffer" through the entire show.
Yeah I think the way they structured the movie is what made it work really well. They cut down all the fluff and extra stuff from the series and just focused mostly on the characters and how they looked back on the events involving Menma. Though it is not very friendly to non-TV viewers since the movie sorta expects you to know what these characters went through.

And, I'll say it again - Secret Base in a theatre with all those speakers at max volume was a great experience. lol
Yeah, it was pretty awesome. I think everyone there was expecting the song to start playing cause when it played I could tell that few people where like "fuck yeah it happened" lol

Jarmel

Banned

The manga is fucking awful. Only so much you can polish dog shit.

Like almost actively offensive.

cnet128

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 6

Yeah, Yokoi! You show him! That's how you take things seriously while playing with toy robots at school!

Nafe

Also both madp and Branduil haven't watched Mushishi? Sad times.

I actually haven't seen it yet either. With the next part airing soon, in spring I think?, is it the type of show where one could start with that and not be too confused or is it a fairly structured story where you have to start watching right from the beginning?

Also, for those looking for FC's, I did some raiding of the thread and added them to the secret AnimeGAF list which can be found by quoting this post.

I honestly had to think for a second what FC's stood for,haha.

Honestly I was quite surprised to find a 3DS friend code listed beside my name because I don't even have a 3DS...or a DS,haha. I guess that's someone else's and you just accidentally put it in the wrong column.

The sad thing is that I'm still waiting Mr.Jeff to add me. (._____.)

I notice your posts gashikun.
I unfortunately can't really comment though because I haven't seen the shows you've been talking about yet. :(

Well it was created a while ago and purely through links I've found in previous threads or stuff that Nafe's posted. It's open to being edited though if you're of a mind to change details and such,

Edit:
Wait I didn't? I could have sworn I did. I shall rectify that immediately.

I actually took more of a look at your list and laughed that you had all the birthday's written down,haha. You have more of an archive then I do. This year I've just been going back and checking my post history because I forgot a bunch of them.

I thought about making a MAL list because a couple or few times some people have asked. Ultimately I didn't obviously and didn't think it was that big of a deal as most people are on each others friends lists anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard to find someone maybe if you hadn't.

fertygo

Did we already hear Nisekoi's adaptation getting success yet? the manga sales got massive boost, the blu-ray dominating pre-order etc.. I don't heard anything like that yet, hope that continue.

I actually haven't seen it yet either. With the next part airing soon, in spring I think?, is it the type of show where one could start with that and not be too confused or is it a fairly structured story where you have to start watching right from the beginning?

Mushishi is completely episodic, following Ginko as he encounters different people and different situations, so I'm sure you could start with the new season. But you shouldn't, because Mushishi is the greatest TV anime ever made and so demands to be seen by everyone. Alternatively, you could watch the recent 1-hour special, which is as good a stopping point as anything. If that doesn't motivate you to watch the original season, then nothing will.

Gazoinks

Man, Ping Pong, Mushishi 2, Watanabe's thing. Spring is looking pretty nice so far. Am I remembering wrong, or was there a new SHAFT thing in spring also?

Its completely episodic so I imagine you could just jump right in to season 2 when it airs. You'd miss out on some background info on Ginko but thats it.

Dresden

Man, Ping Pong, Mushishi 2, Watanabe's thing. Spring is looking pretty nice so far. Am I remembering wrong, or was there a new SHAFT thing in spring also?

Mekaku City Actors, that vocaloid song spinoff thing.

Watanabe's thing isn't in Spring though. Sometime this year was all that was said.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Here's that dangerous gray area when funnier doesn't mean better.

Mr.Jeff

Well the beginning of the series makes some mention of what the show is about but realistically, they explain it most episodes anyway so by and large it's a series that you can drop in at any point. I think a couple of people have recommended the recent 1 hour OVA as a good introduction if you're on the fence.

Honestly I was quite surprised to find a 3DS friend code listed beside my name because I don't even have a 3DS...or a DS,haha. I guess that's someone else's and you just accidentally put it in the wrong column.
Well it was only something I did a few days back since with Bravely Default people have been clamoring for 3ds codes and I figured it would be neat to have an AnimeGAF list. Apparently doing it late at night didn't work out too well since I've added codes to people that shouldn't have them. Hmmm.

cnet128

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 7

Actually enjoyed this one a lot more than the Robot Family. I love when a good Seki-kun scheme comes together with real professionality XD ...Plus those tiny letters are just adorable.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Captain Earth and Love Live S2 too, guys. Spring is guaranteed to have at least one or two great shows.

Oh, misremembered. Still. Ping Pong and Mushishi.

Also Jojo: Stardust Crusaders, which will hopefully be pretty enjoyable despite having to be compared to the OVAs. Isshuukan Friends looks pretty good too. I'm interested in Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii as well. And maybe Kinema Citrus can make something out of Black Bullet.

What I need from Spring is an announcement for Strike Witches 3 in the summer, which I can only assume will air since that's when the last two seasons aired so many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom