• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Super Sonico ep.6

The episode was nice, but the ending animation was incredible.

Seriously, how did this become one of the shows I'm actually somewhat looking forward to each week?

cnet128

Banned
Noragami 6

Can't say I'm a fan of this Sawashiro character, though she does have some cool weaponry.

Kofuku is still pretty great though.

Link Man

Banned
Kino's Journey 13

;_;

So, overall it's a good show. Deeply philosophical and tinged by melancholy, it's an experience that encourages reflection. If you are looking for a show with an overarching plot or character development, then you should probably look elsewhere; this is more like the vignettes found in a Dragon Quest game and is more focused on world building and exploring the human condition.

GAF AOTY 2013

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
2. Kill la Kill

1372035392454.gif

I don't know how to react.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 16

Daisuke the Male Tsundere episode. In which Daisuke is so embarrassed to have accidentally touched Love's hand that he goes on a rant about he doesn't care about the school festival anyway and she should do all the preparations herself and he definitely didn't sign up to help out so he could be with her or anything, baka.

Then he stays behind after school with her and they share adorable moments hiding from the thunderstorm. So adorable that even Wester is embarrassed just watching them. So he sends skeletons after them and Daisuke conveniently faints so that everyone can go Precure. (But it was...manly fainting...?)

Meanwhile Miki is getting annoyed that everyone has their attack upgrades except her, but that's for next episode.

Fresh Precure! 16

Daisuke the Male Tsundere episode. In which Daisuke is so embarrassed to have accidentally touched Love's hand that he goes on a rant about he doesn't care about the school festival anyway and she should do all the preparations herself and he definitely didn't sign up to help out so he could be with her or anything, baka.

Then he stays behind after school with her and they share adorable moments hiding from the thunderstorm. So adorable that even Wester is embarrassed just watching them. So he sends skeletons after them and Daisuke conveniently faints so that everyone can go Precure. (But it was...manly fainting...?)

Meanwhile Miki is getting annoyed that everyone has their attack upgrades except her, but that's for next episode.

Next time, something Bold for Miki (and Precure in general).

Wester being the moe-est Precure villain like he is.

DiGiKerot

I saw The Wind Rises yesterday, but don't really have anything to say about it. It was pretty good. More humorous than I was expecting, though it gets real depressing in the back quarter. Real swell animation, but saying that about a Miyazaki picture seems rather redundant.

Also saw that Blue Exorcist movie folks here were talking up. It was fun, though it was a totally standard boys adventure comic spinoff movie storyline elevated mostly by stellar production (well, mostly that glorious background art).

Branduil

The thing about Space Dandy is that you can drop it and still watch all the "good" episodes later. Although given the diverse reactions, figuring out which episodes are the good ones may not be easy.

Tenumi

Banned
The thing about Space Dandy is that you can drop it and still watch all the "good" episodes later. Although given the diverse reactions, figuring out which episodes are the good ones may not be easy.

Seems like episode 4 has the most consistently good reaction, although I could be wrong.

Speaking of Space Dandy, was it ever confirmed 26 or 13 episodes and straight run or split-cour?

Gintama 14

Oh hay, a completely english ED. Surprise! Although it's just repeating the same time most of the time.

Getting really groovy with the cast as it is, and trying to keep tabs on who might possibly reappear as is.

Midonin

D-Frag! 06

I can't tell when Roka's supposed to be SD and when she's just being herself. Her character design is so short that the line between the two is blurry at times. The new guy's just wacky enough, and I've always enjoyed episodes that involved some kind of ridiculous game tournament being played. This one's about as ridiculous as you can get. Takao Attack, Flying Zipper! She's only moderately large by anime standards, but those boobs are something special.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 17

Miki tries to be the perfect mother to Chiffon and for the most part fails miserably. Even Chiffon knows she's worst girl, though it's not hard when she's making it so obvious. Meanwhile Miki's mother is convinced she's borrowed a real baby from someone to practice her mothering skills, which is...really not far from the truth?

She manages to win Chiffon over in the end though, and finally gets her new attack. So, uh, yay or something.

MJ is crying in his grave.

Space Dandy has not saved anime confirmed. Its an okay show with some embarrassing humour at times and some spectacular direction at others.

Season ranking for me right now would be:

1. Inari
2. Mikakunin
3. Noragami (might move up since I am only at ep2)
4. Space Dandy.

Personally I wanted a more serious show and I don't know when or even if Space Dandy will ever become serious and have an overarching plot.

Jex

It's certainly the best made TV Gundam of all time.

I know that somewhere Corvo is shaking his feathery crow head sadly, but I think it really might be. I mean, I really love me some Turn A Gundam but it's as inconsistent and sporadic as Tomino gets where as GBF has been great throughout it's run.

Branduil

It's fine to criticize Dandy for what it is, it certainly has a number of flaws, but I don't understand people expecting it to be a serious show when there has never been a single thing to indicate it would not be a comedy.

JoeFu

Banned
holy crap D-Frag 06

I couldn't stop laughing. I know this is juvenile stuff, but holy crap I haven't laugh this hard in a long time.

Continuing my Dengenki Bunko anime adaptation viewings in order to prep myself for the upcoming game: Dengenki Bunko: Fighting Climax.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 1-13 END

It was interesting but the most intriguing the about this show is Erio Touma, undoubtedly. The problem is throughout these 13 episodes there wasn't enough focus on her. She's not the focus on a lot of the episodes, and since she's actually the titular character it's a let-down in that respect. The other characters are nice, sure -- but what I wanted to know about was more about what happened to Erio and how she progresses from here -- the latter is shown in the first few eps but it also stops really early. I also disliked the way it ended, on a sort of pivotal moment when it comes to the main character's beliefs. The mystery about aliens never got solved, no idea where the romance will lead. and what about the esper? It's a shame we'll never see why in anime form. Damn these light novel adaptations that don't adapt all the volumes.

Dengenki Bunko Anime Adaptations:

Seen:
Boogiepop Phantom
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Golden Time (watching as it comes out)
Kami-sama no Memo-chō
Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Sakura-sō no Pet na Kanojo
Spice & Wolf
Strike the Blood (watching as it comes out)
Sword Art Online
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!

On the to-watch list:
Accel World
Black Bullet (once it starts this April)
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Kino's Journey
Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei (once it starts this April)
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Shakugan no Shana (currently mid-way through season 2. on break)
Sword Art Online: Extra Edition

Not sure what to watch next. Maybe Kino's Journey or hanbun.

Dresden

I know that somewhere Corvo is shaking his feathery crow head sadly, but I think it really might be. I mean, I really love me some Turn A Gundam but it's as inconsistent and sporadic as Tomino gets where as GBF has been great throughout it's run.

Right. I mean, I like Turn A, but it's definitely a Tomino show and we all know how terrible a director and writer he was.

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 6

Mitsuba is not a witch, Shino.

She is pure as new fallen snow.

The squid segments continue to be great as usual. The alarm going off was a nice touch with no Tsuda around.

Not sure if I should pleased with myself or not that I got the Aria question right.

Lots of Idol girl Shino this time. Pretty positive that's how she would act.

Chuuni Ren ep5 took me about 2 hours to finish. I kept pausing and doing other things. Simply dumb.

It was. The sleep themed fantasy fight did little to distract from the tedium. I just want the show to cross some kind of threshold. Anything will do at this point. Use stupid concepts like this episode to stage the development if you have to, but just make something happen. Instead they put in one scene of pink hair antagonising Rikka and then we're back to the inconsequential.

I should have learned to stop asking anything of this show by now. It has consistently taken the path I expect it to but least want it to, while I act like a moth to the flame of KyoAni's animation.

Yep, that's basically my plan, and precisely, I also thought that problem: figuring out which to watch, because for now I think every episode had people saying it was good! Even the zombie one was kind of ... ehh, for me. It was curious, and original, more than "funny".

Not sure what to watch next. Maybe Kino's Journey or hanbun.

If you're looking for more episodic-ish shows in the same vein as Kino's Journey and Spice & Wolf then definitely add Mushi-shi to the list as well. Good thing to see with season 2 starting in the Spring too.

On your "to-watch" list though I'd definitely recommend Kino's Journey and Baccano.

Vecks

Space Dandy 6

Every episode is its own thing, but lack of continuity aside, I have to wonder if these all take place in alternate universes. Dandy probably did not survive this ep, and ep 4 was never really resolved either. It might be a silly thing to get hung up on, but I just want that closure.

Mr.Jeff

On the to-watch list:
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
If you value anything, please do not watch this terrible, terrible show. It's not even in the "so bad, it's good" territory. It is only bad and boring and a gigantic waste of time and money for the studio involved.

And it somehow got 2 series.

Noragami Episode 6 - Scary Person-
tumblr_inline_n0r5ibTAD31rrn5dn.gif

The action was a bit more exciting than it typically is in this series. Usually the character stuff is way more compelling with the action being a step down and fairly typical of action series but this time it felt more dramatic, intense, and serious. For the characters Yukine and Yato still are one of the more compelling duos of the season
For all that Yukine is afraid of he still does stick with Yato and at least is willing to fight some (though the dull blade moment). I would like for Yato to explain more to him instead of keeping him in the dark, their team could work out more if he tried instead of bottling it up getting impure.

Dont really understand Hiyori's purpose in the anime.

Gintama 15-16

Elizabeth whhhhhy!

I feel sorry for Hasegawa though. Dude's a DORK no matter where he goes. I learned that sunglasses apparently affect your abilities to be hired. I'll keep it in mind.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 18

Love and friends meet a little sick girl who's a big fan of the Precure, and promise her they'll get the Cures to come visit her before her big operation. Chiffon takes a liking to her as well, and sneaks into her room at night to make her toys dance for her. Of course an attack from Wester means that the Cures almost don't make it in time, but thanks to seeing the Cures' fight on TV, the little girl is extra encouraged to be brave.

tl;dr IT WAS THE MOST ADORABLE THING EVER.

Also Miki slightly less worst girl now because she has the power to summon adorable outfits for Chiffon.

If you value anything, please do not watch this terrible, terrible show. It's not even in the "so bad, it's good" territory. It is only bad and boring and a gigantic waste of time and money for the studio involved.

Ah, it sucks? I read the premise and it sounded like Oreimo. I figured, if it sucks, it wouldn't have gotten a second season.

If you're looking for more episodic-ish shows in the same vein as Kino's Journey and Spice & Wolf then definitely add Mushi-shi to the list as well. Good thing to see with season 2 starting in the Spring too.

On your "to-watch" list though I'd definitely recommend Kino's Journey and Baccano.

I plan to watch Mushi-shi. I just didn't list it because it's not a Dengenki Bunko light novel adaptation. =)

Nobunagun 6

Not exactly exciting imo, but at least we have focus outside of the MC.
And I can definitely feel some "The Thing" vibes.

This is what happens when a joke you thought was funny [but clearly isn't] goes horribly wrong.

Robot Girls Z 1
Not familiar with the Mazinger Z (or other Toei mecha) franchise, but it's worth some laughs.
Dat Urchin, though.

Quasar

Chuu2 Ren 5

"There's such a thing as championship napping?" "Yes. In Europe, they even hold tournaments as a competitive sport."

Don't bring Europe into this KyoAni. This nonsense is on you.

Frankly I thought that was the best thing this season. Finally brought the napping aspect of the club front and centre.

BluWacky

Seikentsukai No World Break is getting animated http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51427747.html

This one sounds ever so original:

Jwiki plot summary said:
In order to fight the grotesque "Heretics", monsters which appeared out of nowhere, Akane Academy was set up to gather together those with memories of past lives who can defeat them called "Saviours". At that school, a boy with memories of two past lives, Moroha Haimura, once again meets up with girls from those past lives.

One boy, a few girls, some monsters and bad guys to beat up. Will this be a fanservice show or just Baby's First Anime?

Quasar

Maybe theres more people like me. I liked it. It is a pretty straight teen romance between a otaku and a non otaku, so if thats not your thing well.

Gintama 18

HAHAHAHA

Probably my favorite episode about panties that I can remember. Shit is so serious, the Shinsengumi are involved, and everyone is genuinely incompetent... except Shinpachi's sister.

Kondo weeps!

GaoGaiGar - 11

Haha. So Guy has the power to go into Super Sayian mode for a few minutes. If he stays in that state for too long he'll get corrupted by Phazon he'll lose energy.

Finally we get a confrontation with the Spiral King's Four Generals the Four Machine Kings in this episode. After hiding in the shadows for so long we finally see our heroes face them. It's only a matter of time before they start to get mechs of their own. At least I hope they do.

And in the ensuing chaos in this episode, apparently the gates of Hell have opened. According to creepy Grandma in this episode anyway.

Articalys

Phi Brain S3 ep.19

Man, Gammon-only episodes aren't fun at all.

Also judging from the preview
we're going to see another scene from the OP where it actually happens in the show, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom