• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly I thought that was the best thing this season. Finally brought the napping aspect of the club front and centre.

I don't mind them shining a light on how silly the club name is for a joke, but making it the forefront of an episode, while ignoring the only new thing you introduced this season for 2 episodes straight didn't work for me. Or at least the execution of it didn't. If they want to play about with building entire episodes around a single concept, they should try and make it more unique, and not just going through the Chuu2 motions with a different activity. It feels like they're playing to run down the clock when they've only got 12 (I'm guessing) episodes of time to begin with.

In light of that I think episode 4 is my favourite, because despite Dekomori's dialogue just being too much, they attempted a paradigm shift. It didn't stick of course, and we're back at square one, but you know.

cnet128

Banned
I just thought of the best worst thing: Brain (from Pinky & the Brain) dressed as Kate Hoshimiya.

why would you even say that >________<

Fresh Precure! 19

Oh, dear. Now Eas is using Special Forbidden Magic that can create extra-powerful monsters of the week in exchange for torturing herself. Please stop that. That's not nice for anyone.

why would you even say that >________<

Fresh Precure! 19

Oh, dear. Now Eas is using Special Forbidden Magic that can create extra-powerful monsters of the week in exchange for torturing herself. Please stop that. That's not nice for anyone.

More boldness from Fresh Precure. Tentacle Bondage.

santeesioux

Yowamushi Pedal 18

iLCXPOxzrKPDN.gif

I knew someone was going to gif that, ha ha.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 20

More Eas masochism. But I suppose it's only fair, since the Cures are hurting themselves too - through overwork. They've tired themselves the fuck out with all their monster-fighting and dance practice, so much that they just collapsed in the middle of the street.

This episode also contained some pretty nice battle animation. How ironic that the Cures should look at their slickest when they're physically at their worst.

jman2050

So my impossible decision landed me on Bravely Default. Couldn't resist a good old fashioned FF game in the ilk of the ones that don't suck.

...then the Gamestop clerk told me they were sold out, so I caved and bought Waifu Factory 4 instead.

BD will have its day yet! Eventually...

Fresh Precure! 20

More Eas masochism. But I suppose it's only fair, since the Cures are hurting themselves too - through overwork. They've tired themselves the fuck out with all their monster-fighting and dance practice, so much that they just collapsed in the middle of the street.

This episode also contained some pretty nice battle animation. How ironic that the Cures should look at their slickest when they're physically at their worst.

Collapsing in the middle of the street is probably one of those scenes that stick with me when it comes to this series.
Especially since this is the only time it happens.

arcticxdeath

Neo Member
Hello animegaf, I don't post often because the login page has become blocked at work since I last talked with y'all. I wanted to join in on the Bravely Default friend code sharing; I added myself to the list and if anyone wants to add me, my FC is 4398-8780-7079. Please PM me if you add me so I can add you back, as I'm not sure how to see who has quoted me (that's a thing, right?).

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 1-10

Two down, two and an OVA to go! The rollercoaster ride that is Ojamajo Doremi continues!

The task for the Ojamajo this series is to make sweets and cakes for a panel of judges (First one of which happened on Episode 6) and at the end they will become witches presumably. Although this is Doremi, the main plot always takes a backseat to all of the other stuff that ends up happening and we all end up benefitting from it!

This series also introduces a new Ojamajo to join our merry band, Momoko Asuka, who is interesting for the fact that she's from America, knows little Japanese and that she likes the guitar. I'm liking her so far, she has an interesting backstory about having to adapt to living in America and now, years later, she's having to adapt to living in Japan again. Also Majo Monroe in Episode 2
giving her the earring before her death was pretty emotional and definately a series record for how quickly you can get a tearjerking scene in, didn't expect it that early in and it caught me by surprise.

The episodes themselves have been really good and have been a far better start than the first few from Sharp as that was used to clean up the loose ends of last series. Episode 8 was the my favourite of the lot as I quite like Nobuko's episodes for the stories she comes up with. I especially liked Doremi Robo who shoots
her hair buns as homing missiles! Which is about as good as Aki Robo's 'Life' Missiles in Episode 44 of Sgt. Keroro.
It should really be in a cross series mecha fighting game of some sort.

Also did I mention I like the opening to this? I think that Sharp's OP has a slightly better song but I think the animation of the Motto's OP is better than Sharp's.

Gintama 19-20

Hasegawa just wants to be understood! What's wrong with that!?

It's hard to actually take the Odd Jobs and Shinsengumi seriously when
they're afraid of a mosquito. But then again, considering the SIZE and SHAPE of that thing, can you blame them?

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 1-10

Two down, two and an OVA to go! The rollercoaster ride that is Ojamajo Doremi continues!

The task for the Ojamajo this series is to make sweets and cakes for a panel of judges (First one of which happened on Episode 6) and at the end they will become witches presumably. Although this is Doremi, the main plot always takes a backseat to all of the other stuff that ends up happening and we all end up benefitting from it!

This series also introduces a new Ojamajo to join our merry band, Momoko Asuka, who is interesting for the fact that she's from America, knows little Japanese and that she likes the guitar. I'm liking her so far, she has an interesting backstory about having to adapt to living in America and now, years later, she's having to adapt to living in Japan again. Also Majo Monroe in Episode 2
giving her the earring before her death was pretty emotional and definately a series record for how quickly you can get a tearjerking scene in, didn't expect it that early in and it caught me by surprise.

The episodes themselves have been really good and have been a far better start than the first few from Sharp as that was used to clean up the loose ends of last series. Episode 8 was the my favourite of the lot as I quite like Nobuko's episodes for the stories she comes up with. I especially liked Doremi Robo who shoots
her hair buns as homing missiles! Which is about as good as Aki Robo's 'Life' Missiles in Episode 44 of Sgt. Keroro.
It should really be in a cross series mecha fighting game of some sort.

Also did I mention I like the opening to this? I think that Sharp's OP has a slightly better song but I think the animation of the Motto's OP is better than Sharp's.

Oh boy, enjoy Momoko, she's definitely a keeper as an addition for the cast. You have some more leeway for Motto's movie, but I guess... watch it some point before you reach 45 or something like that. When you watch it before that point is up to you.

Probably already know this, but Naisho (the OVA) is more of an inbetween for Motto and Dokkaan!, despite being the last thing released, so it'll be your next destination after Motto!.

OH! and slapping. Gratuitous slapping.

jbug617

Banned
D-Frag 6

Love Triangle was pretty stupid but looks like there might be some DTL moments between Hachi and Kazuma.

I have a feeling the tournament is going to deliver especially concerning Takao.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 21

Eas is really getting desperate now, you can see the frustration building up inside her ready to explode at any moment. Also she only has one super-monster left to use after this episode. Looks like next episode will be the big turning point!

As for this episode, Miyuki found out the girls' secret. The show is really pushing her as a red herring for the final Cure, but the teaser images they keep showing of the new Cure's appearance kind of spoil that by making it crazy obvious who it's going to be, even if I didn't already know. It's quite a distinctive face >.>

cajunator

Banned
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 2-4

ilFIpz3gDM5j3.gif

I'm in for the Uka X Touka, hopefully it actually goes somewhere in the next 6 episodes, fuck kadokawa and this 10 episode shit.

Kadokawa also did Mondaiji?

Chuuni Ren ep5 took me about 2 hours to finish. I kept pausing and doing other things. Simply dumb.

I do this a lot. my attention goes elsewhere and it can take several hours to finish an episode of anything.

Kino's Journey 13

;_;

So, overall it's a good show. Deeply philosophical and tinged by melancholy, it's an experience that encourages reflection. If you are looking for a show with an overarching plot or character development, then you should probably look elsewhere; this is more like the vignettes found in a Dragon Quest game and is more focused on world building and exploring the human condition.

Congras on finishing one of my top favorites. That last episode
is misleading because for most of it everything seems normal. almost too good to be true. Yourel ike why is this the last? does it simply end? and then IT HAPPENS and youre sitting there speechless like Kino. And then the brilliant part of why she is travelling to spread the word about this misunderstood, proud, and lost country comes to light
Yeah Kino is fucking amazing.

Continuing my Dengenki Bunko anime adaptation viewings in order to prep myself for the upcoming game: Dengenki Bunko: Fighting Climax.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 1-13 END

It was interesting but the most intriguing the about this show is Erio Touma, undoubtedly. The problem is throughout these 13 episodes there wasn't enough focus on her. She's not the focus on a lot of the episodes, and since she's actually the titular character it's a let-down in that respect. The other characters are nice, sure -- but what I wanted to know about was more about what happened to Erio and how she progresses from here -- the latter is shown in the first few eps but it also stops really early. I also disliked the way it ended, on a sort of pivotal moment when it comes to the main character's beliefs. The mystery about aliens never got solved, no idea where the romance will lead. and what about the esper? It's a shame we'll never see why in anime form. Damn these light novel adaptations that don't adapt all the volumes.

Dengenki Bunko Anime Adaptations:

Seen:
Boogiepop Phantom
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Golden Time (watching as it comes out)
Kami-sama no Memo-ch&#333;
Ore no Im&#333;to ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Sakura-s&#333; no Pet na Kanojo
Spice & Wolf
Strike the Blood (watching as it comes out)
Sword Art Online
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Toradora!

On the to-watch list:
Accel World
Black Bullet (once it starts this April)
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Kino's Journey
Mah&#333;ka K&#333;k&#333; no Rett&#333;sei (once it starts this April)
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Shakugan no Shana (currently mid-way through season 2. on break)
Sword Art Online: Extra Edition

Not sure what to watch next. Maybe Kino's Journey or hanbun.

Watch Kinos Journey and then Accel World because hnnng Kuroyukihime.

Gintama 21

He just wanted a senpuki! HE WANTED A SENPUKI! WHY WASN'T THIS TRANSLATED AS MINI FAN!? WHY WASN'T THAT A MINI FAN! IT WASN'T A SENPUKI!

Why must you make potential heatstroke victims suffer!? TO SAVE THE EARTH!? NONSENSE! WE LOST A MO-PED DAMN IT!

Articalys

Apropos of nothing, but I just noticed that Hozuki no Reitetsu got retitled as Hozuki's Coolheadedness (an accurate translation anyway) on Hulu and Anime Network, but still retains the Japanese name on Crunchyroll. Sentai's original PR for their license used the Japanese name, but I wonder if they're going to change it for their eventual release.
Well, it won't be for another couple years probably, so not like it really matters. Just another data point on anime title marketing in the U.S., I suppose. Carry on with whatever other conversation you were having.

Yowamushi Pedal 18

Here I am all ready to celebrate and stuff with how the race ended.

But then the music starts and I'm like all.

Cry_lsp.gif

That just ain't right.

Also Perm senpai is 2nd best senpai.

Gintama 21

He just wanted a senpuki! HE WANTED A SENPUKI! WHY WASN'T THIS TRANSLATED AS MINI FAN!? WHY WASN'T THAT A MINI FAN! IT WASN'T A SENPUKI!

Why must you make potential heatstroke victims suffer!? TO SAVE THE EARTH!? NONSENSE! WE LOST A MO-PED DAMN IT!

That episode is one of my all time favourites for its second half. So funny.

cajunator

Banned
Seikentsukai No World Break is getting animated http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51427747.html

Seikentsukai No World Break Drama CD cast:

Moroha Haimura - Kaito Ishikawa
Satsuki Ranjou - Ayana Taketatsu
Shizuno Urushibara - Aoi Y&#363;ki
Maya Shimon - Yui Ogura
Haruka Momochi - Maaya Uchida

OMG cutie <3
Probably terrible show. Will try to watch anyway.

Chuu2: The Search for Moe Money

Well they gotta get money from something.

Hello animegaf, I don't post often because the login page has become blocked at work since I last talked with y'all. I wanted to join in on the Bravely Default friend code sharing; I added myself to the list and if anyone wants to add me, my FC is 4398-8780-7079. Please PM me if you add me so I can add you back, as I'm not sure how to see who has quoted me (that's a thing, right?).

Hellos. Im just going to quote this so people can see it. I dont have the game myself.

BluWacky

Apropos of nothing, but I just noticed that Hozuki no Reitetsu got retitled as Hozuki's Coolheadedness (an accurate translation anyway) on Hulu and Anime Network, but still retains the Japanese name on Crunchyroll. Sentai's original PR for their license used the Japanese name, but I wonder if they're going to change it for their eventual release.
Well, it won't be for another couple years probably, so not like it really matters. Just another data point on anime title marketing in the U.S., I suppose. Carry on with whatever other conversation you were having.

Do you know if this has always been the case or has it just changed? My guess would be that Crunchyroll, with its primarily ex-fansub and hardcore audience, will be happy to keep untranslated names however ridiculous such a thing may be; Sentai and Hulu, however, hoping (futilely?) for a more mainstream audience, need to translate the title to get eyeballs watching.

Articalys

Do you know if this has always been the case or has it just changed? My guess would be that Crunchyroll, with its primarily ex-fansub and hardcore audience, will be happy to keep untranslated names however ridiculous such a thing may be; Sentai and Hulu, however, hoping (futilely?) for a more mainstream audience, need to translate the title to get eyeballs watching.
That's kind of what I was thinking too, but when Crunchyroll announced its simulcast for Mikakunin, it was under the translated "Engaged to the Unidentified" name, which is what Sentai licensed it as the next day and what it's titled on Hulu/TAN. Same thing with Mahou Sensou as Magical Warfare (though in that case the translated name is in the original logo anyway).

cajunator

Banned
That's kind of what I was thinking too, but when Crunchyroll announced its simulcast for Mikakunin, it was under the translated "Engaged to the Unidentified" name, which is what Sentai licensed it as the next day and what it's titled on Hulu/TAN. Same thing with Mahou Sensou as Magical Warfare (though in that case the translated name is in the original logo anyway).

I dont mind the translated names when it makes sense. Easier to follow that way.

Also this version of that meme popped up and I very much approve! (though Ritsu wouldnt be the one blushing)
oBOqoKm.jpg

Gintama 22

While hilarious, I did go "UUUUUUHHHH" a lot. Like.... wow. I'm not sure what to say to this one. Sachan the glassesninja is here at least.

It was. The sleep themed fantasy fight did little to distract from the tedium. I just want the show to cross some kind of threshold. Anything will do at this point. Use stupid concepts like this episode to stage the development if you have to, but just make something happen. Instead they put in one scene of pink hair antagonising Rikka and then we're back to the inconsequential.

I should have learned to stop asking anything of this show by now. It has consistently taken the path I expect it to but least want it to, while I act like a moth to the flame of KyoAni's animation.

I'm never really critical of anything KyoAni makes but this episode was just dumb. Too far.

The whole thing of the teacher approving napping as a club activity (I don't even) and even knowing a competitive napping team in another school? That's so ridiculously absurd, I couldn't buy it at all - even comically. Then there's the design of that napping team..

Toriko Episode 141 – Toriko Strikes Back! Ultimate Routine!

Kind of disappointed if they are truly replacing this with DBZ, but its clear material is running out as we did chps 233 - 236 in this episode and now leaving us with only 29chps until current with the manga :(

The action was rather intense take for this fight and was actually quite exciting with Ultimate Routine and Toriko.
Though more impressed with Starjun and his flaming sword for the counterattack there at the end of the episode. He is still one of the best fighters around and has not ever failed to deliver. Im hoping he pulls a big win!

I also dont understand the loss in detail in the "vision." (manga -> anime)
tumblr_n0t10iPAbm1t0ax0oo2_500.png

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 23

Cure Passion get! Happiness ge—

Oh wait, it might be a bit soon for that. Setsuna is still troubled. Not finding it too easy to forgive herself, it would appear.

Shit, I want to watch the next episode but I really have to sleep. Hope I wake up early enough to watch it in the morning >.>

Bombless

Nobunaga the Fool 6

I can honestly say that of all the ways this story could had gone, I would never had considered that. Holy shit.

Midonin

Sky Girls 21-23

I will give the show credit, they've been steadily building up to the
reveal of the Worms taking Yuki, and explaining exactly what happened
for some time, never letting the audience entirely forget about it. It's a very competently made show. Even the Vic Vipers were previewed back during the airshow, and now they get an episode showing that they're not quite as high and mighty towards Otoha as she thought.

The Christmas two-parter was definitely a highlight, and checking the show's airdates, looks like it was a summer show, so it would've been Christmastime when it was in the show, makes sense. I did like the Sky Santa team, they were cute. Making a tree out of a lamp and some lightbulbs was a cute way to make the gray environment feel a little more colorful, maybe the most colorful it's ever been since Elise was forced to tear down her girls' bedroom looking decorations in the sleeping quarters.

Elise has really been turning around lately, even being the showing Ayesha how to smile again. The scene between her and Otoha was pretty heartwarming, too.
I am wondering why Yuki!Worm gave away the address of the nest. Are the Worms aware they've made a mistake? Do they have a death wish? Or is this the spirit of Yuki trying to see his sister again?

Andrew J.

Fresh Precure! 23

Cure Passion get! Happiness ge—

Oh wait, it might be a bit soon for that. Setsuna is still troubled. Not finding it too easy to forgive herself, it would appear.

I remember back in the day, when Hito was still an admin, he banned somebody for spoiling that, as if it were even possible to spoil Precure for anyone over the age of eight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom