• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Man, they'll make ita-everything these days.

Well its just a matter of slapping a wrap on things. All that lovely anime art looks great on stuff.

Tokyo Ravens 18

iE2jORF7iLdFf.gif

Okay, Suzuka. I give in. You're cute.

iH1XxXv3SbZzk.gif

I…I said I give in! You can stop now!

iMoTS9TW8QYWF.gif

ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

I knowwwww. Some cuties in Tokyo Ravens. Still not watching the actual show though.

I'm going to need another shelf pretty soon too. I converted my current shelving space to accommodate more vertical space just for my manga, and then I had to repurpose my old PS2 DVD rack for manga volumes that would fit its small size. I am all ready putting some DVDs in slim jewel cases to save room, but pretty soon I will need to invest in cases like the ones shown here, and I do not mean the stackpaks.

Yeah, This is more like my current predicament, minus the shame.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Seki-kun 6-7

6: Oh man, that song at the end. :lol I loved how Rumi
got attached to the robots

7: Now this one had me cracking up throughout. Maybe the best episode of the show yet.

Wooser S2 6

Oh hey
Chamber from Gargantia

I'm pretty sure the only reason this show got a second season was so it could be used to shill other anime. But if that's what it takes for me to get more Wooser, I'm totally fine with it. Helps that the cameos have been great, too.

Mr.Jeff

Infinite Stratos - 07
This is the worst thing I've seen in a good long while. The only positive thing out of the entire thing was a proactive Charl but unfortunately she's proactive towards Ichika; a man combining the clumsiness of Rito from TLR and the charm of a brick. The surprise "twist" at the end sealed the deal of awfulness.

Now I remember why I only watch an episode of this a month.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 26

Setsuna has the power to teleport? That's pretty handy. Too handy, as it turns out, since she ends up getting sent back and forth between the girls' homes and their dance training camp to pick up all the things they accidentally left behind.

Some sweet moments this episode - the girls want Setsuna to join them in their dancing activities, but it seems like she's not interested. Inori sees through that, though, and understands that Setsuna really does want to dance, she's just a little lacking in confidence like Inori herself was at the beginning of the series. So Inori gives Setsuna a bit of private practice to help her work up the courage to join the team for reals. It was so cute I was almost tempted to abandon my LovexSetsuna pairing in favour of InorixSetsuna, but I won't, because that would be silly.

Also, new OP and ED this episode! The new OP is just a remix-y version of the first one with some new lyrics, and while I'm not sure if the new mix is actually an improvement, the vocals do sound a bit less screechy than before, which was the one big issue I had with the original OP. So I'll take it! The ED seems fun enough as well, though I'm not sure if it's quite as catchy as the first one (which has been stuck in my head for like a week now, and the dance was frankly mesmerising).

Mr.Jeff

"How bad can it be?" thought I. "It's only 26 episodes"

On the plus side, I'm not watching Sword Art Online or Attack on Titan so silver linings and all that.

Theonik

"How bad can it be?" thought I. "It's only 26 episodes"

On the plus side, I'm not watching Sword Art Online or Attack on Titan so silver linings and all that.
Wait till you get to season 2. Oh god season 2.
It even made firehawk, the greatest sponsor of IS here want to kill people.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi OVA
The first half with the hot spring didn't really fit that well. The second half was really nice look at Hampnie Hambart's past
and his first meeting with Ai's mother

Hunter x Hunter 116

Everything about this is amazing. The direction, the soundtrack, the lack of a soundtrack, the tension, etc.

Madhouse, I have no clue how you managed to pull this off, but you guys are alright.

Quasar

I knowwwww. Some cuties in Tokyo Ravens. Still not watching the actual show though.

I'm surprisingly enjoying it. My only complaint is a bit of the world building and politics is lost in the translation from prose and so some of the big picture stuff is a little harder to follow. Wish the translations were further ahead.

I guess this is my Harry Potter anime in many ways.

survivor

Banned
Seitokai Yakuindomo 6

Just hit me, half of the episode was basically Idol no Akahon anime adaptation. We need more of this crossover. Also the bit after the credits was probably the funniest segment in the anime in a long time.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 27

Cameo comedians episode, featuring real-life manzai duo Audrey. That makes the second comedian cameo I've seen, following on from the TamuKen episode in GoGo. Are these going to become a regular feature?

The episode shared some definite similarities with its counterpart in GoGo, what with the guest characters having the rare privilege of finding out the Cures' identities, and of course their comedy skills coming in useful against the monster of the week. This time they were fighting a Nakiwameke formed from festival masks, so Wakabayashi used his tsukkomi slaps to knock the monster's masks off the Cures' faces, and Kasuga pulled amusing faces to distract the monster while Cure Peach delivered her finisher.

Also, because this doubled as a festival episode, we got to see all four Cures in yukata! <3 Daisuke was certainly impressed, but he got rather cockblocked by Kaoru-chan, who stole his opportunity to pay Love a compliment. That's what you get for hesitating, I guess! Poor Daisuke >.<

Fresh Precure! 27

Cameo comedians episode, featuring real-life manzai duo Audrey. That makes the second comedian cameo I've seen, following on from the TamuKen episode in GoGo. Are these going to become a regular feature?

Also, because this doubled as a festival episode, we got to see all four Cures in yukata! <3 Daisuke was certainly impressed, but he got rather cockblocked by Kaoru-chan, who stole his opportunity to pay Love a compliment. That's what you get for hesitating, I guess! Poor Daisuke >.<

I think Smile is the last one with a manzai duo. Thank god that it isn't in every Precure though.

Also Daisuke is a loser.
that's why Setsuna's the alpha in the Love OTPs

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sasameki Koto Episode 4:

Okay, this series is certainly going into places I did not expect, but that is mainly because I didn't see this series exchanging somewhat overwrought melodrama for stupid comedy. I also didn't see the Lesbian Club coming, but I guess you really can't be a high school series without being about a club in some fashion after all. Also, I think I may have seen into the inner workings of the mindset of the one named SDButon and now I am scared.

Hunter x Hunter Episode 116 Revenge x And x Recovery

Kind of a pointless episode as plot advanced not even a gram of an inch. As is the case Killua always has the best head on his shoulders and made this something to keep watching. It just kind of showed that he really deserves his own spinoff and such.
Major fault with the writing was making Gon an antagonist in this case and pretty heartless in not even wanting to let Komugi be saved. Komugi proved to be a bad plot point as indicated numerous episodes ago so the recurrence of it here only enhanced the same feelings, and unfortunately Gon's development had to be sacrificed for her sake. At least Togashi did what Togashi does best in making the antagonists actually characters who you do want to see succeed, so to see Killua aligned with the thought of saving an innocent was something worth praise.

Hopefully next episode is actually exciting as a whole.

Aria the Origination 9

Right when I thought I knew what was coming, it just...fuck me this is one of my favorite episodes of any anime ever. I wish I could put it more eloquently than that because this show deserves so much more than whatever I could write.

cajunator

Banned
Aria the Origination 9

Right when I thought I knew what was coming, it just...fuck me this is one of my favorite episodes of any anime ever. I wish I could put it more eloquently than that because this show deserves so much more than whatever I could write.

You have such good taste in things its really kind of ridiculous.

omlet

Aria the Origination 9

I wrote an blog post prompted by this wonderful episode back in 2008 when I first watched Aria because I couldn't sit in silence on such a great thing. Best in series episode, IMO.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well its just a matter of slapping a wrap on things. All that lovely anime art looks great on stuff.

Yeah, This is more like my current predicament, minus the shame.

But you should tho.

omlet

I should watch it?

I'm 10 episodes in and it's the first "so terrible it's good" shows I've bothered to watch in a while. I needed something trashy to balance out marathoning a Shiki rewatch, a Shin Sekai Yori rewatch and Yamato 2199 in less than a month's time.

You can ignore all the shounen blah blah blah and just watch it for Kon and Suzuka.

Which means you can basically just look at the gifs... and skip the show... unless you're bored.

cajunator

Banned
I'm 10 episodes in and it's the first "so terrible it's good" shows I've bothered to watch in a while. I needed something trashy to balance out marathoning a Shiki rewatch, a Shin Sekai Yori rewatch and Yamato 2199 in less than a month's time.

You can ignore all the shounen blah blah blah and just watch it for Kon and Suzuka.

Which means you can basically just look at the gifs... and skip the show... unless you're bored.

Im definitely not bored. Been busy.
will probably look at gifs as I have been.

Midonin

Sky Girls
Thanks, Oppama

Since this was in the same quasi-genre as Vividred, Strike Witches and the upcoming KanColle, I wanted to watch it to prepare myself for the last one. The subs I watched had natural-sounding dialogue, and I liked the OP and first ED (second ED was alright), but as for the show.

While it had a lot of slightly ero-cute elements, they were never center stage. Sure, there were skintight outfits, but the camera never really focused on them. There were plenty of bath scenes, but nothing was shown and they were mostly used for bonding. The most explicit it ever got was the episode revolving around the mysterious bra, and even that was fairly tame.

I liked the world setting, with the future hanging on after nuclear annihalation and several decades of rebuilding. It was advanced, but the things it had - like those little iPod things and the computerized paper - are so close to today's technology that the show never overtly shouts "It's the future!". And so much of it takes place at sea that it's not really an issue.

The storylines all wrapped up nicely. I was surprised that 26 was an epilogue episode, while 25 was the real final battle.
Ayesha successfully turning Worm!Yuki back into his human self for a moment before he disintegrated was heartwarming, as was Otoha's teary thank-you afterwards. I say the show earned it.
The characters never strayed too far from their archetypes, but the show was very well made. Everything clicked into place, and it kept itself on a monster of the week format while also advancing the characters' plotlines at a steady pace. Since the OVA was set on the ship, I wasn't sure how much of the show would be there, but the approach it took, spending time with the characters before they were drawn into the worm war, was a nice touch. It established that the peace at the end was something worth returning to.

The action was dynamic and the CGI wasn't too bad, but ending every battle in a Quadra/Delta Lock does mean there's not a whole lot of variety to how things go. It's really all about the characters more than the fights. Even the tertiary characters, like the twins and Takumi, feel like they have something to contribute. Elise did railroad the plot to be about her for a bit, overshadowing the rest of the cast, but it evened out when she did become a nicer person because of it.

Final Thoughts: The costume design doesn't make it stick out as much as Strike Witches, and it's not as magical girl-ish as Vividred, but I enjoyed it. It set out to tell a story of a war, and in that regard, it succeeded. Not the best, but not terrible. The world's state of war is a constant effector of the plot, and the characters are lovable. Mecha action's a bit repetitive, but I don't consider that a downside. The time limit with the nano-skin gel was also an interesting handicap.

Looking at the broadcast, the show that followed this was Rosario + Vampire. I have some history with that one, but that's for another time.

Seraphis Cain has been telling me to watch it for some time, so the next show in my backlog is [REC].

Gintama 57

HAHA that one dude after the Senpuku is back! And he did copyright infringement! No wonder he runs the Evil Organization, Evil Organization!

Also the dumb afro dude was back.
The ones that hired them were scumbags though.

Gintama 52

BTeUAtN.jpg
i hate this line ...

i don't remember what's happening in this episode , but i know that in FF13 , the delivery of this line and the way the sentence was translated ( and written ) make the sense it tried to convey lose all meaning ....

So i hate this line , the fact that snow re-used it even badly didn't help.

Infinite Stratos - 07
This is the worst thing I've seen in a good long while. The only positive thing out of the entire thing was a proactive Charl but unfortunately she's proactive towards Ichika; a man combining the clumsiness of Rito from TLR and the charm of a brick. The surprise "twist" at the end sealed the deal of awfulness.

Now I remember why I only watch an episode of this a month.
Ah ah
You have not SEEN the worst.
You really haven't.

Hunter x Hunter 116

Everything about this is amazing. The direction, the soundtrack, the lack of a soundtrack, the tension, etc.

Madhouse, I have no clue how you managed to pull this off, but you guys are alright.

now i'm hyped ..going to watch it

Hamatora 6

Jesus what a ham-fisted way to try and get me to have feels, that failed very badly I might add. "Maybe he'll die"

"NEVER! LET ME TELL YOU OUR ENTIRE BACKSTORY SIDE-CHARACTER WE WON'T EVER SEE AGAIN TO SEE WHY WE ARE BEST BROS WITH MANLY TEARS"

Crocodile

People who have been watching Hunter X Hunter have been saying "IT'S HAPPENING" or "IT'S ALMOST TIME" for the past 2-3 months now. Was Episode 116 finally it? Did IT happen?

Link Man

Banned
Since I finished Kino's Journey yesterday, I had an open slot for another anime to watch. Wanting some more steampunk adventure, I decided on:

Last Exile 1

I'll admit, I was a bit apprehensive when I saw Gonzo's splash come on the screen, having had mixed feelings watch their Count of Monte Cristo. The mix of traditional animation and CG will definitely take a little getting used to, but the story and setting looks like it will definitely make up for it (I'm hoping so, anyway). The music is also pretty nice so far, and the depiction of war seems refreshingly genuine. If I have one complaint thus far, it's that the lead girl is a bit grating (watching in English, though I doubt the Japanese dub would change much in this case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom