• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was wondering whether I should let the episodes of 2015 influence my AOTY voting of this show.

My policy here is "you judge the entire series (or whatever it's available), the fact that x episodes fall in year 2014 only serves to determine what series can be chosen for entering in the list". This is, the requisite to vote for a series is that at least one episode of the series was aired in 2014. But once the series is "allowed" in the year vote, the actual judgement is everything you want from the series, which in this case it's all I watched up to now.

So if a longer than usual series aired in 2013 and finished the last few episodes in the first weeks of 2014, you can vote for it in the 2014 aoty, for the entire series.

Ymmv.

Kancolle - 03

Huuuuuuuh, well shit. So the girls aren't wearing invincibility armor. This pleases me greatly. You better not be pulling an Aldnoah Zero on me, I'll be so disappointed.
Bring on the suffering. If I hear one more Poi I'm going to sink you myself missy. Still not a fan of the cg use in the battles.
ZMQZ19N.jpg
pCDby4N.jpg

Gintama 001-002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

I can't say this was really a strong start, not very funny, not well animated and references/meta commentary seemingly thrown it at random. But I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as much as needed because of it's repetition, and am already aware it does not start strong.

Will probably start something else that has been on my backlog for a long while later as well.

Beefeater

Banned
"Anybody who doesn't appreciate what I like just doesn't get it."

Don't you think that viewpoint is extremely arrogant? Myopic even? Sure, i'll grant you that my post didn't really give me the benefit of the doubt, but I was clearly, clearly taking the piss. Poking fun at it is pretty much all I can do at this point, because I sure as hell don't plan on seriously reviewing Yuri Kuma Arashi. I was on the Yuri Kuma Arashi train from day 1. It was like someone engineered an anime from the ground up to appeal to me but... it was a no sell. To be clear, i'm not saying that it's bad. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Sorry.

Are you seriously jumping on a guy for "not getting" a show titled "Lesbian Bear Storm"?

Hey, no hard feelings guys. You don't have to get it.
:^)

No but really, I understand why people hate it. Ikuhara's an acquired taste, and we all have different levels of tolerance for his antics. This is the most undiluted "Ikuhara" show so far.

If I didn't enjoy the show on a surface level, I guess I'd share your opinion of the show. But personally, with Ikuhara I've learned to just sit back and let myself be entertained by the randomness. I don't take the confusing stuff seriously until I dig into and understand the subtext, if that makes sense.

Crocodile

So I was wondering whether I should let the episodes of 2015 influence my AOTY voting of this show.

Why not? Probably makes for a more accurate representation of how you actually feel about the show. Recent episodes of Parasyte have probably brought the show down on my list (maybe even out of it) where as recent episodes of Shirobako have probably pushed it up my list. Seems fair to me.

That whole running/driving away sequence was thoroughly absurd and comedic and only compounded by Miki's personality so I would say they got it right for once.

Having just seen the latest episode, this mirrors my feelings as well. I don't know if it was the best choice but it was clear they weren't going for "dread" or "fear" in that scene so more typical music probably wouldn't have been the best choice. Speaking of this Miki guy, is the reason he actually seems to have a personality is because he
has 3 paraytes
? Plus I still don't understand how parasytes can hold political office or lure unsuspecting women. They ALL have the personality of robots. What person, after interacting with a parasyte controlled human for more than 5 minutes says "I want to vote for this guy!" or "this guy is so hot, I want to drop my panties for him!"? Like seriously?

My policy here is "you judge the entire series (or whatever it's available), the fact that x episodes fall in year 2014 only serves to determine what series can be chosen for entering in the list". This is, the requisite to vote for a series is that at least one episode of the series was aired in 2014. But once the series is "allowed" in the year vote, the actual judgement is everything you want from the series, which in this case it's all I watched up to now.

So if a longer than usual series aired in 2013 and finished the last few episodes in the first weeks of 2014, you can vote for it in the 2014 aoty, for the entire series.

Ymmv.

Why not? Probably makes for a more accurate representation of how you actually feel about the show. Recent episodes of Parasyte have probably brought the show down on my list (maybe even out of it) where as recent episodes of Shirobako have probably pushed it up my list. Seems fair to me.

Hmm sounds good to me. Already adjusted it and lowered it a place.

Having just seen the latest episode, this mirrors my feelings as well. I don't know if it was the best choice but it was clear they weren't going for "dread" or "fear" in that scene so more typical music probably wouldn't have been the best choice. Speaking of this Miki guy, is the reason he actually seems to have a personality is because he
has 3 paraytes
? Plus I still don't understand how parasytes can hold political office or lure unsuspecting women. They ALL have the personality of robots. What person, after interacting with a parasyte controlled human for more than 5 minutes says "I want to vote for this guy!" or "this guy is so hot, I want to drop my panties for him!"? Like seriously?

Can't say I got the same vibe of that fleeing scene as you guys. While, yes, Miki's appearance was a bit goofy, the animation seemed to indicate that Shinichi took the situation seriously and didn't just run to brag or s.th.. Considering the plot there's also no reason for this to be anything but a very tense situation for him either. The upbeat jazz music just felt like a complete contrast to the mood I got from the visuals and what would logically be taking place in terms of plot.

One of these days, there's going to be a harem anime adaptation of a light novel and it's going to be good. Like, there's no way a streak like this can be perpetual. One day someone is going to wake up, look at the sea of generic light novel trash in Japan, and say: "I'm going to be the one who'll change that!" and actually succeed.

But it hasn't happened yet.
Hey, Infinite Stratos was pretty "good"... :p

But yeah, LN adaptations are usually terrible. Of course, I think that a lot of that is because LNs, like junior novels, usually aren't very good to begin with. Start with bad source material and awful results aren't surprising. If someone wanted to write a good story, why make it an LN to begin with? They'd aim higher, I'd think...

So no, instead of something actually good, what we get is stuff like Saekano that comments on how dumb harem visual novels and such are from within a story that's just as bad as the stuff it criticizes. Ah well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Boat Girls 3

I still don't know what is going on. They literally pulled a mini plane out of thin air with a living person inside of it. They held newly created life within their hand!

Also the fact that the Admiral is a complete non entity is such a poor decision. Either make them a character or don't have them at all. Or say they are currently on a tropical island somewhere on holiday and phoning orders in. Anything but Mr Creepy Small Silent Weirdo.

And as for the ending
she is with a group and then one second later on her own. And then none of them noticed the big explosion that happened. Death for death's sake.

And then I like how upbeat the voices were for the next episode preview.

I'll give it one more episode. Also the Yuri Bears would have a feast here. So many throw away '"I love you" *blush blush*'s.

cajunator

Banned

Seconded!

After reading US Comic for awhile, you can realize color could erasing some detail in your art..

Something like Berserk is better without color.

I draw a lot in pencil and just ink my art. I like it better than coloring, which really does lose a lot of the personality of a sketch if you arent very careful.

I like your thinking. And I fully agree. I've never been in to origami at all, but it could be something that piques my interest in it.

Origami is sooooooooo much fun!
The internet has tons of diagrams and info about it so give it a try!

Beefeater

Banned

But yeah, LN adaptations are usually terrible. Of course, I think that a lot of that is because LNs, like junior novels, usually aren't very good to begin with. Start with bad source material and awful results aren't surprising. If someone wanted to write a good story, why make it an LN to begin with? They'd aim higher, I'd think...

So no, instead of something actually good, what we get is stuff like Saekano that comments on how dumb harem visual novels and such are from within a story that's just as bad as the stuff it criticizes. Ah well.

Light novels and their anime adaptations share an interesting history together. (feel free to skip to 7:30)

Gintama 001-002

I can't say this was really a strong start, not very funny, not well animated and references/meta commentary seemingly thrown it at random. But I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as much as needed because of it's repetition, and am already aware it does not start strong.

Will probably start something else that has been on my backlog for a long while later as well.

Just keep on watching and you'll eventually understand why Gintama is such an amazing series.

Wait till you hit those serious arcs in this series.

Sölf

Gintama 001-002

I have no idea how long it took me to get past the first ~20 episodes. But after that, you get the Hotpot episode. And by then you kn ow most of the important characters, what their personality is and some of the running gags start to appear.

Also, yes, the serious arcs. However, the first "true" serious arc (imo) is the Umibouzu arc, and that only starts in episode 40. But still, you could even go and watch that one, I think. You wouldn't miss that much, since most up tot hat point (except for the introduction of new characters) ir comedy.

I currently rewatch Durarara!!, because I am watching S2 and forgot the relationships between most characters. I know the overarching story more or less, but that's it. So a rewatch should be good. I have seen 9 episodes so far. It's also interesting that even the beginning of the show has some references to the later arcs (the final arc in S1) if you do know something about the characters.

Gintama 001-002

If you're aware then let me reiterate that the show takes a while to go from mediocre to amazing and it'd be a bit unfair to judge it based on 1/10th of its total episodes. It sets up basic characters and interactions for 20+ episodes

Sölf

Also, the first 2 episodes? Anime only, and not really good ones. Especially bad since it uses pretty much all of the characters that are introduced in the 20 episodes afterwards.

survivor

Banned
animator expo stuff

The Dragon Dentist
good imaginative setting, nothing to say beyond that

Climb Hill Girl
I was far too distracted by the ugly CG to care about any of what was happening. Not to mention it's biking so zzzz

ME!ME!ME!
Saw this one when it aired, didn't care about it outside of the looping effect

Carnage
A shame this cool art style was wasted on this trying too hard story.

Gundam key animations
Interesting to see the comparison between key animation frames and the actual thing, but well it's Gundam and I can't be bothered to feign interest in it so got bored after couple of minutes.

20min Walk From Nishi-Ogikubo Station, 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, 2mos Deposit, No Pets Allowed
legit great stuff, animations change near the end was just fantastic

until You come to me
Bunch of Eva art with some nice background music, cool stuff.

Tomorrow from there
Very good music video.

Boys Invent Great Hero
Well that was boring, couldn't even bother to finish it. Bunch of random explosions and monsters and shit, not even good music to accompany it.

Well what i thought..

I guess one could get those to keep a gundam collection "complete".
Still it did twice as much as AGE...

I really wonder what Sunrise will do with next Gundam show. Two bombs in a row and far and far away even from 00 sales. Maybe they will try to resurrect SEED in some form lol.

I really wonder what Sunrise will do with next Gundam show. Two bombs in a row and far and far away even from 00 sales. Maybe they will try to resurrect SEED in some form lol.

Well Origin is next, and that should sell a ton.
As for the next TV series I dunno. If they did do another SEED series the reactions would be hilarious but it would probably sell well lol

wonzo

Banned
Reading all these Parasyte impressions are not encouraging me to pick the series up again. I feel pretty happy letting it go a few weeks ago.

Numerous people have suggested that the manga is far better, which I can easily believe, so I may well check that out.
mangas heaps better honestly

Carnage
A shame this cool art style was wasted on this trying too hard story.
calling a spaghetti western revenge flick tryhard smh

Gintama 001-002

Man, I gotta get back on this show. Though if I do, I'd probably start back at episode 25, since I pretty much remember all the characters and most of the overall plot set-up leading up to that episode.

But there are good LNs though. Fate/Zero, Baccano!, Kino's Journey, etc.

Other than those though, I just really want to see what would seem to be another generic harem LN adaptation turn out to be something actually amazing. Twintails seemed to be something like that at first, in how ridiculous it was. But its joke got old really fast. :(

This is the greatest thing

http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000061921

Cospa is selling a shirt that has printed on it the full dialogue of Hatoko's rant from Inou-Battle episode 7.

So...is that thing gonna be printed in English? I can just imagine wearing that and not knowing how to respond to somebody asking what it says.

Gundam Try Fighters 15

lol @ how seriously the 2 Meijins take themselves. Talking together, getting in formation and pointing to the venue. I burst out laughing, they were like Team Rocket or something.

I also love how Meijin calls Sekai "BURNING BOYYYYY". Its such a ridiculous name, just like "Try Burning Gundam". That sounds like a terrible request.

I like how Fumina has laser shurikens now. That was pretty dope. Feel bad for the other teams Gunpla. That shit is in itty bitty pieces right now. Total overkill.

Also, hellooooo onee-chan.

sCvfTCB.png

kX2dJHu.png

Gintama 001-002

First two episodes is a filler special

Well Origin is next, and that should sell a ton.
As for the next TV series I dunno. If they did do another SEED series the reactions would be hilarious but it would probably sell well lol

Oh. Forgot Origin completely. It could be decent seller. And yes reactions to new SEED show would be glorious but honestly I would take new SEED over Age and Reconguista anyday. Yes Destiny was pretty damn bad show but at least you could enjoy it in trainwreck way. Age and Reconguista are just fricking boring shows.

Maybe they'll actually make that movie they teased back in 2006.

Last update I believe was in 2008 when Morosawa (screenwriter) had cancer which was delaying the project and after that there has been nothing. They probably canned it long time ago (weird though as it would have printed money)

Kan colle - 03

Just how freaking death flags did she set on herself and every other character in only 10 minute?
I'm legit surprised that was the only casuality of this battle.
Kantai%20Collection%20-%2003.jpg

That scoot plane pilot was cajun-tier.
The battle itself was cool , untill the plot kicked in.. I guess the anime wanted to make a point. Thankfully they sacrified someone they could sacrifice given that many other characters ( akagi , takao , shimakase and the list is long ) are heavily plot armored.

So this result could be seen miles away ( if i can say so )

Last update I believe was in 2008 when Morosawa (screenwriter) had cancer which was delaying the project and after that there has been nothing. They probably canned it long time ago (weird though as it would have printed money)

Ah that's right, I remember reading about that. I think they'll probably restart the project when Morosawa recovers.

Shinmai maou no testament - 03

What watched : Shimai maou no testament
What i Wanted : Lewd bath scene
What i got : Lewd animated bath scene.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Shinmai%20Maou%20no%20Testament%20-%2003.jpg

Good question

^^^But why are you having common sense in a Ln harem anime ?? ^^^^

So far so good. But i'm waiting untill they finish this first arc to judge whever the have the balls to go all out on the source material.

Ps: Unnecessary panty shot for fanservice count : 2

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fucking damn, if every anime started out awesome like the new Build Fighters Try then the hype would be raised to max.

Midonin

Graffiti 02

Kirin and Ryou have some nice chemistry together. Food is a universal thing, but also a specific one, so even though the Manga Time Kirara origins are as clear as all their other works, the food aspect seems to be drawing a lot of eyes. That ANN refers to it as "fanservice" is a bit weird, because to some degree it is, but there's a difference between sensual and sexual. I'm liking what I see so far.

Fafnir 02

While the least impressive of the LN anime this season, it's still holding my attention. The contrast of the militaristic setting with the magical girl-esque weapons, for one. That panties scene is so going to be uncensored come time for the video release. Let's see what one of these dragons are like.

Cross Ange 15

Okay show, you genuinely have my attention. Maybe not the direction I expected this show to go, but things are making sense and the storyline is becoming interesting. There's a lot to reconcile here.

Maria 02

The dong level is slightly less than Earth Defense Club, and some of those jokes... so glad Maria blasted that place to the ground.

Yatterman 02

I like the twists going on here. It's shockingly effective to recast the Yatterman as villains - to an outsider they would look weird, as the live action movie demonstrated. Plenty of love for the Time Bokan series in general, and the new Doronbo gang is a joy to watch. One of my most anticipated shows of the season. Mecha, superheroes, food for thought and a whole lot of fun.

World Break 02

An ALI Project-produced song performed by petit milady still sounds like an ALI Project song. For me, this isn't a problem because I like the tone that ALI Project sets with their music, even if their songs do all sound samey. The Saviors/Strikers feel vaguely culty, the most out of all the LN battle shows. And yet, it's also the most slapstick and character-driven comedy vehicle of all of them. There's some funky tonal dissonance going on here.

Absolute Duo 03

Tabane is evil, yo. I'm not sure what she's planning here, but Thor and Julie make a great pairing. Of the light novel school battle shows, this is my favorite. It's got the clearest idea of what it's trying to do, and the dynamics are friendly, but also intense. It's doing a lot right.

Exit, Pursued by a Lesbian Bear 03

So the Invisible Storm is not a supernatural phenomena, but a purely human-based, clique-based one that appeals to the reptile part of our brains. I wonder if the show's building up to a variation of "humans are the real monsters." Or something like that. I'm still not that lost. The show's spelling out its elements on the surface clearly enough, and dropping enough hints that figuring out the subtext isn't a too laborious task.

Earth Defense Club 03

It's like Princess Tutu meets that one episode of Kamen Rider Fourze. Dong levels are at 110%

Kantai Collection 03

Kisaragi...
way to go right for the gut punch, show.

Testament 03

That makes sense from a story perspective. The lewdness of the show is apparent in every episode, but there's a bit more oomph to the story. Not as much as bears, but something. Yuuki's presence in the show also opens up some unexplored ground as far as the hero clan goes. Not all heroes are necessarily heroic. That seems to be a running thing with Earth Defense Club, Yatterman and this show.

Maria the Virgin Witch 1-2
A pretty interesting setting aside from Maria being very innocent. The whole thing with Michael is pretty cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom