• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefeater

Banned
Death Parade Episode 3:

DO we have an OT for this yet because we really should. At any rate, this almost was a really sweet and endearing episode about two lost childhood friends
who would have become lovers had they lived long enough. Then they had to go an ruin it by revealing that the girl has her face altered to look more like this other girl in the hope of catching the eye of the guy. Yea, we just swerved head first onto a very creepy road. like genuinely disturbing no matter how much sad music you try to play.

I was confused about
the surgery thing, because the girl said she wanted to move on with her life after the surgery. I think it was more a self-esteem booster than a way to get that guy, but she lied about her name in the bowling alley because she saw the opportunity to get intimate.
Anyway, I wasn't too impressed with this episode overall. Didn't have to be another big conflict and the idea was nice, but I dunno. Something was missing, the story didn't draw me in.

FluxWaveZ

but she lied about her name in the bowling alley because she saw the opportunity to get intimate.

I thought she genuinely thought she was the other girl from a quick flashback she had received while bowling? She had no idea who she was at that point, so it makes sense she was confused concerning her own identity, as well.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 01

That Angel looks pretty cool in a creepy way. Neat that the mecha saved Shinji on its own(?). Speaking of Shinji his father wins dad of the year.
Now let's put this boy with no training in this mecha to fight the Angel who survived what seemed to be some sort of nuclear bomb. Fly me to the moon eh? I need to replay Bayonetta.
YzdsHn7.jpg
L1pdOCq.jpg

Yawnier

Banned
Don't know where to post this but I guess I will here.

Just bought a 3 month sub to funimation like 20 minutes ago but it is still showing that I am a non-subscriber. The cash has already been taken out of my paypal acc. Are there any other funimation subbers here, wat do?

Beefeater

Banned
I thought she genuinely thought she was the other girl from a quick flashback she had received while bowling? She had no idea who she was at that point, so it makes sense she was confused concerning her own identity, as well.

Oh yeah, I guess that also makes sense.

Just bought a 3 month sub to funimation like 20 minutes ago but it is still showing that I am a non-subscriber. The cash has already been taken out of my paypal acc. Are there any other funimation subbers here, wat do?
It's gone bro, they tricked you. FUNi will stop at nothing to get your precious streaming bucks.

That Angel looks pretty cool in a creepy way. Neat that the mecha saved Shinji on its own(?). Speaking of Shinji his father wins dad of the year.
Now let's put this boy with no training in this mecha to fight the Angel who survived what seemed to be some sort of nuclear bomb. Fly me to the moon eh? I need to replay Bayonetta.

Nice, fresh Evangelion impressions. Also, alternative first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rq2_CSO65Y

Nice.

Well Funi kind of sucks so it should show up later, I hope.
If not, customer support I guess?

Thoraxes

Koufuku Graffiti 03

You know Omurice has always been one of those things I see in anime that I would never eat. Yet seeing them cooking it, eat it with that SHAFT magic actually makes me consider trying it out. Not much to say here besides another great episode with all three girls and another great ED to watch.

Oh man, it's delicious. You should definitely eat it.

DiGiKerot

So the latest episode of Cinderella Girls spurred me to go back and check in on the original idolm@ster. Personally I find the shared elements and divergences between both series to be fascinating, but actually rewatching im@s revealed how much more complex it could be, even when dealing with thematically similar elements.

I dunno, man. Whilst I love the original aniM@S, think that Cinderella Girls has a lot to live up to, and don't necessarily disagree with your points, I think you are stretching a little unfairly by going all the way to the sixth episode of aniM@S for comparisons point, after it was able to have a whole bunch of character episodes to establish some of the things it relies upon.

I mean, I don't think comparing Cinderella Girls to aniM@S is particularly unfair in itself - quite the opposite, I think the show is deliberately inviting the audience to do so at this point in order to establish both the differences in the settings and the differences in the approach they're taking in productions. I don't think it's an accident that the second episode of Cinderella Girls contained the entire narrative arc of the second episode of aniM@S - that the girls screw up the photos by trying to be something they aren't (sexy-as-adults in aniM@S, sexy-as-Mika in Cinderella Girls) before discovering that you come across much better in these things by acting naturally. The difference is that it does it far more naturally and without the moralising, and also only in about six minutes.

In that line, I also think the actual comparison with Cinderella Girls is supposed to be made with the third episode of aniM@S. In both cases, it's the first time girls appear on stage in the show, after all.

In the aniM@S episode, it's implied that Producer-san had to bust a gut to even get the job, and it's a kind of crappy one, being a tiny stage at a small country festival. The emphasis is somewhat on the fact that, whilst the girls are accomplished, they aren't yet exactly popular. Everyone is massively unprepared for the event - the girls have to set everything up themselves, from the seating to the sound equipment. They've had no chance to plan, let alone practice, and have to make everything pretty much up on the spot. They don't even have stage-costumes due to a screw-up, and in the end Yukiho has to come up with her own buy tearing apart a bunch of stuff they brought accidentally. The main character story of the episode is that of the fact that Yukiho is actually terrified of being on stage due to the fact that there are always guys in the audience, and how she overcomes it.

In comparison, in Cinderella Girls, I think there's very much the emphasis on the fact that they're working for a really freaking huge production company. Producer didn't have to put any effort into getting the girls a job, they just fell into it as a result of catching the eye of someone from their huge production company who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. The event they are appearing at is a significant, well-advertised concert, even if they only have a small part rather than having to make the whole show up as they go. Their costumes are provided for them, and pre-torn at that. They're given plenty of time to practice, particularly given that, unlike 765Pro, their company actually has their own practice spaces. To a certain degree, that everything is provided for them, they are told exactly what to do, that they have all these professionals handling matters, and all they really have to do is practice for the event, is perhaps almost the point.

Also, again, it basically runs through the entire character story for the second episode of aniM@S in about six minutes of screentime, but in a far more naturalistic fashion. Whilst aniM@S hams up one of the wackiest character traits in the game in Yukihos fear of men (or more her reaction to it), and how it makes her nervous about appearing on stage, Cinderella Girls more subtlety suggests that the girls are just petrified because appearing on stage is terrifying, and as newbies they may screw up. Ultimately, in both cases, the act of performing ends up being massively exhilarating and cathartic for the performers.

It's kind of funny, though. Whilst the core iM@S 765Pro girls certainly have a silly character trait or two each, they were deliberately designed as broad stereotypes you could grasp in a turn of the arcade game that would last around four or five minutes, but with enough depth and natural character to bring the player back for more. The Cinderella Girls are mostly designed as much thinner caricatures, in so much as they had to both get their characters across and make an actual impression within the very small play sessions and very small amounts of dialogue common to mobile games. I do wonder if that they're taking a more naturalistic approach to making a series out of what are often far more wacky characters is actually a deliberate tonal re-balancing act?

Although on the subject of Rin, Mio and Uzuki being pretty much the focus of the show thus far, I'm pretty sure that, given they have 20+ episodes to fill, it'll likely follow a similar pattern to aniM@S - Rin, Mio and Uzuki are simply the Chihaya, Miki and Haruka substitutes, and the larger stories the show covers will probably be about them, but presumably every member of the Cinderella Project will get some kind of emphasis episode at some point.

DiGiKerot

So the next episode of Cross Ange looks..uhmm...

B8IRISWCYAAIZgb.jpg

This just reminds me of another Sunrise show, the much under-appreciated Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, where for the ninth episode they just randomly threw in an alternate universe episode about post-apocalyptic ESP Baseball with no explanation for it, nor any actual significance to the rest of the series.

It was a pretty great episode.

Mature

Sounds like you're going into this pretty fresh? Enjoy it.

I mean, I don't think comparing Cinderella Girls to aniM@S is particularly unfair in itself - quite the opposite, I think the show is deliberately inviting the audience to do so at this point in order to establish both the differences in the settings and the differences in the approach they're taking in productions.
I agree with this sentiment. CG is definitely paralleling the previous anime, but deliberately inverting a lot of the previous settings. Even the producer is a direct opposite of the previous one, where the first was more emotive and acted as an emotional support that cheered on the girls but often flustered when it came to actual business matters, and the current one, who clearly has issues with his people skills, but seems a ton more professional given his position and environment.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 02

That faceplant, talk about fucking up a good first impression. Now this is interesting, the pilot and mecha seems linked in both body and mind?
Misato is pretty great, a fitting relief character. What the fuck a penguin?? Yo whats up with that creepy eye, did that Angel some how merge with the Eva when it 'self destructed'?
Or maybe it's parts from that Angel from 15 years ago. Cause that's some pretty thick armor otherwise to survive that. The fight was pretty sick. So many questions.

Sounds like you're going into this pretty fresh? Enjoy it.
Aye, Evangelion is something I've always heard people talk about. Figured it's time to see what it's all about.

DOG DAYS S3 - 03

OMG .. they blew their budget .. they went all out !! What an episode. 23 minutes of non stop action featuring everyone in the casting with old & new moves + cameos included.

That animation was crystal clear .. This was just so much awesome.
All in the spirits of dogdays with fanservice here and there but it remainned quite low.

CAJUN ALERT
CAJUN ALERT
CAJUN ALERT

Damn this episode had it all , the plot , the fanservice , the action , the locales

10/10 AOTY ..
I've waiting years for this season , and it freaking delivers more than i wanted.
Dog%20Days%20S3%20-%2003.jpg

i don't , i want this stuff EVERY WEEK if possible
MAGNIFICENT

Jex

Now let's put this boy with no training in this mecha to fight the Angel who survived what seemed to be some sort of nuclear bomb.
Fly me to the moon eh? I need to replay Bayonetta.

You would think that would make him an awful father but, really, that's kind of every father in mecha anime. Many of them even die after handing off their robot: Mazinger Z, Giant Robo, multiple Gundam shows including the original...it's just kind of how mecha anime work!

Nandaka Velonica Impressions

Nandaka Velonica is a short series with 10 minute episodes targeted towards children. Each episode is self contained story about an alien visitor who is trying to learn what it means to be human. This is a pretty good setup for teaching young children values. However it does have some appeal to an older audience. There is one episode which explores the purpose behind love and how inefficient it is that was well done in the similar vein of Space Dandy's thirteenth episode. There is also a girl who loves Western rock music with many references to band such as Nirvana and The Beatles.

The main "plot" of the series is Velonica the alien must create a contract with an Earthling in order to do business with the planet. This is mostly ignored save the first and final episode but the way the contract is created serves for some funny (and creepy) moments. The characters are interesting enough with the standouts being "Death Metal" agent and guitar girl.

The art style is fairly simplistic and the animation is well done. The ED sequence is done with CG and it looks terrible. The art style of simple circle shapes to define the characters' profile does not work with the CG style used in the ED and it looks so bad I couldn't watch it more than once.

Overall a decent children's anime with good animation. I would probably like it more if not for that awful ED that scares me anytime I look at it.

Thoraxes

Dog Days S3 - 03

Holy fuck. If they can keep this up this is going to be amazing. Leaps and bounds above the quality from season 2.

Visually the best looking episode of Dag Days yet. All the henshin, the fighting, the powers. God damn. Give me more of this please.

Aldnoah Zero 15

I just about lost my shit when Inaho was talking about using unused braincells to process data with his eye or some such bullshit while playing a game of invisible chess with the commander. That was gold, Jerry! Gold!

I wonder if Saazbum is going to have two magic eyes when he comes back!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Don't like to Hosanna.

Idolm@ster is a masterpiece. With lots of great individual episodes. Despite it's failings as a whole.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 03

So the Impact made the antarctic ice melt, that explains the buildings under water in the first episode. Shellfish angel with laser tentacles, well at least their designs are varied.
Eva is the smart phones of their time with 5 minutes battery life. Shinji going bananas on that Angel with a knife, that's some gangsta shit.
His screaming scared the shit out of me. And that looked like human hands under the Eva armor, it even had nails!

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S3 3
Kise is truly the broken member of the GOM.
The animation seems toned down from episode 2.

Next episode should be awesome because
we get the debut of Akashi.

imn@s is flawed as all hell but you'll be hard pressed to find another series with such raw passion put into it

I'm sure Nishigori and his team really liked the game and all, but it didn't come across in a way that made it particularly interesting for people without prior investment in the franchise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sure Nishigori and his team really liked the game and all, but it didn't come across in a way that made it particularly interesting for people without prior investment in the franchise.
I had no knowledge of the series before watching the anime and it made me a fan. I'd say it was very accessible as a show. One reason why I say it is the best videogame adaption of all time (to be fair, the competition consists of things like the Super Mario Super Show and Donkey Kong Country).

If you want to see an inaccessible property watch the Boat Gals anime.

What the FUCK is with those pillow covers? SMH.

I noticed that S2 became a lot more fanservicy but that still didnt ruin the charm of the show. If theres a 3rd one, hope they dont crank it up.

Pro Tip: Don't scroll down if you want to keep that last gram of faith in humanity that you earned after reading the headline.

That article is much like a mountain, full of ups and downs.

With how low that went, maybe they will explore ocean trenches next.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Those pillow covers
what
Oddly the 'SAMPLE' label makes them lewder than they actually are. You can see bits of swimsuit sticking out from the sides. I mean it would be better if they did't exist but at least they are not as lewd as the labels first suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom