• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
With this in mind, it's pretty challenging to think highly of the third episode of Cinderella Girls. Using the earlier referenced im@s episode as a point of comparison we have an extraordinarily different perspective that I appreciate. The idols themselves are upstarts here, and this early hill to climb as backup dancers in a live concert setting is fairly steep. It's nice to have scenarios with high stakes, but we've primarily seen the main idol trio bond on a personal level rather than work together in a professional environment. The opportunity for that feels somewhat wasted here, and the talent growth to competency seemingly occurs by magic when it's done through plain sweaty training montage. Old im@s had P-san gradually coming to a realization that he needed to change behavior patterns over the course of an episode. It was a mentality change with a slow build that still needed to be proven. Cinderella Girls thrusts its protagonists into a spotlight and has them preform even under pressure and with minimal training. It all feels too smooth.

I think the goals and themes of the two works are fairly different. Idolm@ster covered the 765 girls as a whole and tried to highlight them more as a group rather than individual sections. In CG, there's a much bigger focus on the trio and the other girls are supplementary to the core trio. I'm starting to suspect that the other girls, such as Oreki loli, won't get that much characterization and instead the show will heavily lean with the main characters for everything. I feel like it's a sort of stop gap measure in that CG really doesn't want all the side characters but due to Idolm@ster fans howling up a shitstorm if their favorite girls aren't animated, commercialization wins. It's a better approach than trying to deal with such an ungodly sized cast such as in the first Idolm@ster but the limitations of the work are also more apparent.
iw9aOK5rhxyJx.jpg
Thematically CG is also more about fairy tales. One of the girls had an orange suit on this episode that reminded me of a pumpkin and had also tapped her heels together like in Cinderella. There's also other stuff like the castle and whatnot. In fairy tales all your dreams come true and so I think the girls are going to do fairly well until the clock strikes midnight. They might throw in family drama though like in the original Cinderella. It's not a show focused on the girls slowly rising to fame but it all being more like a dream as they skyrocket to the top(which should present its own problems such as jealousy and infighting).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Death Parade Episode 3:

DO we have an OT for this yet because we really should. At any rate, this almost was a really sweet and endearing episode about two lost childhood friends
who would have become lovers had they lived long enough. Then they had to go an ruin it by revealing that the girl has her face altered to look more like this other girl in the hope of catching the eye of the guy. Yea, we just swerved head first onto a very creepy road. like genuinely disturbing no matter how much sad music you try to play.

Hello AnimeGAF, first post here. Let's start with some impressions:

Durarara x2 - 03

bildschirmfoto2015-01cyfoa.png

They make a nice couple.

Entertaining episode although I feel it would have benefitted from more focused storytelling. It is Durarara's trademark to jump all over the place (and time) but it was hard to connect with the new character Ruri Hijiribe since we didn't see enough of her. Thus her inner conflict of feeling like a monster felt hollow and the catharsis at the end fell kinda flat.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 27
BVhcJ0rl.jpg
QU0tUmIl.jpg

OTYw3ntl.jpg
xBYJYZQl.jpg

0JKTIBJl.jpg
6x2dRtYl.jpg

Awesome art in Boingo's manga really helped to distinguish this episode, ~chu.

This was easily the best episode of this show since the the first episode of Battle Tendency, having captured that sense of unpredictability that was the hallmark of that arc. Ostensibly it was the usual monster of the week episode that Stardust Crusaders is but it developed its own identity beyond that, particularly through the use of Oingo & Bongo as the POV characters, ~chu.

For the uninitiated such as myself, the ending of the last episode set this one up perfectly as a humorous episode was the last thing I ever expected. To have the humor throughout to be so spot on neatly tied this one up into something special, ~chu.

Durarara!! X2 - Episode 3 - Adding Insult to Injury

Hadnt realized were still in minus time until Shinra stepped into the apartment and I was like wow.

Loved Yuhei's scenes, his legs are so long in this. Looking forward to whatever more development he gets.

No-Rin 11

Do it for the village.

We find out that Kousaku's mother died and that his father abandoned him, there's pressure to get engaged, married and pregnant and some other fun summer vacation stuff as well.

Midonin

Rolling Girls 03

I'm not sure if this really post-apocalyptic in the sense that comes to mind. Japan's cultural and political landscape has been reshuffled - or rather, exaggerated - but there's still a thriving society. One that doesn't really look to be struggling for supplies. Its history hasn't really been delved into - because it's not that important - but it's more of an alternate history than a post-apocalyptic one.

A city where it's Comiket all the time. I would love to live there. Where not only is reading a doujin like that once something everyone can say, doujins might be one of the chief forms of literature. The witch-like design of the people in this area was fun, and in some ways, the mystical artifacts and journey are reminding me of Koihime Musou. That's the kind of adventure I seek. It's certainly an imaginative world.

Aldnoah Zero - 15

RIP in peace best Count. I thought he was going to fall by Slaine's hands, but not this soon.
Shame the Kata got down so quick, would've liked to see it more in action. I quite liked how he protected Slaine from the other Counts, which I guess will be coming for him now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rolling☆Girls Episode 3:

Given how frenetic the first two episode were it is not surprising that this one was a bit of a cool down as The Rolling Girls begin their vague task of collecting McGuffin Stones for reasons not really known.

Rolling Girls - 03

Hmm certainly a weaker episode. However the show's world building and larger story continue to be build up and could turn out to be rather interesting. Still digging the humor, too. I suppose we'll get some more bombast combat next episode.

No-Rin 12

Oh, dear lord...

Well, at least it's over now.

This is one of these comedy shows that just doesn't work. There's half an episode that's decent, and there's a joke here and there that is amusing, but nothing more.

And if you're looking for fanservice, then there's surely tons of other shows that's better than this as well. There's some sad stuff in the last two episodes I guess, but I don't really care about any of these characters.

The OP is energetic and the backgrounds looks good. Hm... At least it wasn't boring, there's stuff happening all the time, so it doesn't drag on, even if it's not funny or interesting. I dunno, not much else positive to say. It's not even so bad it's funny, just really bland.

No-Rin? More like no fun. 1.5/5 Keis in mankini:
1ClJCnj.png
PNlMzZy.png
LgsSmb2.png
LgsSmb2.png
LgsSmb2.png

Midonin

Azumanga Daioh 03-05

Ah, Kimura. His permanent mark on -chan/Western anime fandom hasn't gone away. Not that similar terminology doesn't exist in the Japanese fandom - it does - but it didn't originate from here, and I don't know how comparatively pervasive it is. But I can see why the -chans latched onto him, even if the end result is questionable.

Yukari and Nyamo have some amazing chemistry. And it's clear that Yukari's influence lives on in the form of Sawa, Kuroi from Lucky Star, etc. Not all are as irresponsible or lazy, but they are descended from the archetype she helped to polish. The way the shorts link together with their themes for the episode does end up feeling like a largely coherent story. The basics of character interaction look to be established, and I'm loving Osaka's elaborate discussions of kanji puns and wordplay. Dissecting that kind of stuff is fun for my translator brain.

Rolling Girls - 3

Well this was a boring episode. It doesn't help that three out of the four main cast members are still utterly devoid of any characterization beyond things like "wears a mask and wants to collect stones." And there are somehow two main characters with less development than the person I just described.

Jarmel

Banned
Rolling Girls - 3

Well this was a boring episode. It doesn't help that three out of the four main cast members are still utterly devoid of any characterization beyond things like "wears a mask and wants to collect stones." And there are somehow two main characters with less development than the person I just described.

Not surprised, I'll watch it later.

The problem I noticed is how the lead MC was utterly generic so now that the show has started to focus on her, I'm not surprised it's starting to stumble.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 15
Exposition about anime pre production. I like this episode despite not much happening. Andou sure is enthusiastic. Satou seem competent. Well, with Tarou around, there's no way both of them going to win the worst employee in the company.

The final scene though. Because everything is not all sunshine and rainbow. Editor fuck up for not involving the Author during anime meeting. Funny story, editor is even more incompetent than Tarou. Editor forget to inform author about anime adaptation, losing author fixed script, sexual harrasment, forgot to inform the author about using licensed product (yeah, i'm still salty about hi-score girl).

I hope they pull through in the next episode. If they're lucky, it might be something minor like what Emma author did during the anime production (make the bust and butt bigger). But we'll see.

Aldnoah Zero 15

Battle was cool, the episode was decent.
Slaine reaching Revolver Ocelot levels of backstabbing.
Can't wait for Saazbaum to return in 3 episodes

Log Horizon 2 16

So if you have alts they come alive too? That's kind of interesting.

Rolling Girls 3

I really like the OP.
Way more toned down episode compared to the first two, but still enjoyable. We got some explanation for the setting as well.

So the latest episode of Cinderella Girls spurred me to go back and check in on the original idolm@ster. Personally I find the shared elements and divergences between both series to be fascinating, but actually rewatching im@s revealed how much more complex it could be, even when dealing with thematically similar elements.

I've always wanted to watch Idolm@ster
so I can understand idrous
and your post makes me want to more, but I dunno if I will ever get around to it.

I knew you would appreciate it!

So the next episode of Cross Ange looks..uhmm...

B8IRISWCYAAIZgb.jpg

What the FUCK is going on in this show

CDiggity

Barrelrolling Girls 03

My biggest problem with this series is that I feel it hasn't developed it's identity. And when you are already a quarter done (this is a 12 episode series) that is an issue. I look at the visuals, the story or the writing and I can see elements that makes me "Man, this reminds me of Kyosougiga" or "Man this reminds me of Yozakura Quartet" or "Man this reminds me of Sekai Seifuku" (Decidedly not KLK in my opinion). I don't think there has been anything that has made me go "Wow, this is Rolling Girls".

It is perfectly OK to ape other shows when coming up with original ideas, but I don't want to be reminded of your influences when watching it, unless it is a very deliberate thing, such as satire, parody, remakes, etc.

It's still a good show to look at (although some signs of roughness began to show), but it is a shame we have to focus on decidedly more boring characters (and no more Crocodile).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Cross Ange, we're Touch now.

Kantai Collection 3
Lucky pubic hair charm. The more you know.
Rising all the death flag in half episode.
Next episode, best ship. Kongou

I've always wanted to watch Idolm@ster
so I can understand idrous
and your post makes me want to more, but I dunno if I will ever get around to it.

The Idolmaster isn't actually a good show, because the characters are walking tropes, there is no cast chemistry, the producer is an annoyingly bland self-insert character, at the attempts at serious drama come off as terribly lame. I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Akainu

So how is Durarara? My limited understanding is that it seems like one of those shows that thinks it's deeper than it actually is.

Log horizon 2 - 16
There wasn't enough roe2 in this episode , but next week , we're going to have something better !!

This episode had lots of cool dialog from rundel haus talking to tohya , our 4 female friends talking about the future .
Log horizon is still polishing every plot and sub plot in order to reach the perfect conclusion and i can't wait for next week.
Log%20Horizon%202%20-%2016.jpg

Henrietta , best.... passionnate friend ?
The whole groupe immitating the rest of the guild to cheer serara was a nice event, no really i liked this episode.Those characters need screen time and it's nice that they finally got some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom