• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Parade - 03

Gah, where was the despair? The violence!? I suppose it makes sense that there'd be a couple like this eventually, though. Her secret ended up being kind of underwhelming for me, though; I was thinking they were going to reveal that
Mai's operation was actually a male-to-female surgery as a dude who liked Shigeru but couldn't catch his attention.
Also, it seemed like they were both
sent to 'Heaven' in the end, so I guess it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Next episode features the best game of all: video games. Wonder when—or even if—we'll learn more about Decim and the roles of each person in that purgatory.

I was anticipating the same twist as you, so when we got the actual reveal, I was pretty underwhelmed.
Plastic surgery, that's it?
All the build up for that?

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka 7 10-23

Why do I always stop watching shows just before they get good?

Lawd, Renton is getting hit with reality hard, Holland is such an asshole tho, plz let someone get one good punch in on him sometime during this show.

Charles and Ray's character designs are so wonderfully oldschool, I doubt they're gonna make it to the end of the show tho

Enjoy the best arc in the show, and one of the best in mecha anime.

Assassination Classroom - 03

Wow this Karma guy made this show 100 more times interesting for me. I was on the verge of dropping this, but now I'm kinda curious to see what happens.

cajunator

Banned
Time to pre-order Jin-Roh.

Sweet. I can think of quite a few who were waiting for this.

I must confess, I haven't mustered the energy to sit down and create a proper post on the subject of anime in months. For that, I must apologise because there's been plenty of high quality content worthy of analysis and discussion. Still, this all changed when I started to read about the history of anime and the story I discovered seemed so important to the foundation of the modern anime industry that I felt compelled to write about it. Please bear with me because this post is unfortunately far too long.

I've read a lot of discussion in the last few months about the actual business of producing anime, fuelled in part by Shirobako. The main topics of concern seem to be the working conditions of the anime industry (harsh) and what kind of pay workers receive for their efforts (meagre). The sad reality is that one of the reasons the anime industry can exist at all is because the workers don't get paid that well. But how did such a strange industry develop? It's always been a puzzle for me but after reading Anime A History I feel like I can shed some light on how and why TV anime came to exist in it's current form. To tackle this puzzle we have to turn to the birth of traditional TV anime. We're going to go back to Astro Boy.

As many of you are probably aware, many people consider that the first true anime was Astro Boy in 1963. While this isn't quite right, Astro Boy was certainly the birth of the modern TV anime production. By modern TV anime I largely mean a work of limited animation that airs on TV weekly. At the time, this was truly a revolutionary idea, in fact it was even considered impossible. When the idea was originally floated to make the Astro Boy manga into an animated series Toei's veteran animator Yamamoto Sanae considered it an absurd idea, impossible even with the manpower of the entire animation industry. This is why Astro Boy first aired as a live action series. Tezuka, however, would not let go of his dream to make anime. Eventually, with his own studio, he'd get his wish.

Tezuka's own assistant calculated how impossible it would be to create Astro Boy. Assuming a weekly output of thirty minutes of Toei-quality animation (Please note: Toei works used to have great animation), they'd need 3,000 employees and a budget of between 60 and 70 million yen. The entire population of animators in Japan would only account for 20 percent of the necessary labour and once completed the show would be too expensive for any TV channel to afford. So, as you might have guessed, the idea of doing 'Toei Quality Animation' was thrown to the wayside and Tezuka and his staff focused on how to do animation quickly and cheaply. Their solution, limited animation, is with us to this day and it's one of the defining features of the entire industry.

I think you're familiar with most of the basics of limited animation but just to remind you here are some key elements:

• Shooting on threes e.g. aiming to use only eight images per second of film rather than the available 24.
  • Stop images e.g. using a single frame for sequences where animation is not required such as establishing shots and reaction shots.
  • Pull cells e.g. Pulling a background image behind a foreground image to create the impression movement. Think about a character in Dragon Ball Z 'flying' but in reality you know that it's just a single frame being moved a cross a background.
  • Repetition e.g. repeating a loop of animation for various purposes.

And so forth, I'm sure we're all familiar with these techniques. While they weren't all created by Tezuka and his studio, Mushi-Pro, but they certainly used them extremely frequently and for good reason. Anime was, and is, expensive to produce.
Now you've got an idea of the lengths Tezuka would have to go to in order to keep the costs of Astro Boy as low as humanly possible. Now, what do you imagine an episode of Astro Boy would cost to produce, even with all those cost-cutting techniques deployed? I'll let you think about that when I reveal how much Tezuka was offered per episode of Astro Boy by Mannen-sha, the company who could purchase the time-slot:

300,00 yen per episode

That's barely 10,000 yen per minute of animation, a truly impossible figure. A live action children's show in 1962 cost 600,000 yen and Mannen-sha assumed anime would cost half as much. Eventually, Tezuka negotiated a price of 550,000 yen per episode a fee which Tezuka settled upon in order to undercut the price of live-action children's shows and to be so impossibly low that no animated rivals could compete.

So just how crazy was that 550,000 yen per episode settled upon by Tezuka? Well, a single episode of Astro Boy would end up costing 2.5 million yet to produce. You don't really need to reach for your calculator to realise that this is a pretty awful deal for Tezuka. To make matters worse, it seems that Mannen-sha was prepared to offer 1.2 million yen per episode but Tezuka shocked them all by offering his own, lower figure of 550,000 yen to undercut potential animation rivals and live action TV for children. Some debate remains about whether Tezuka was aware of the 1.2 million yen figure.

Now, this insanely low price really set a precedent for TV animation that seems to have shaped the industry as we now know it. The results of this decision had the effects you might expect: staff working extremely long hours for the same pay, mass outsourcing of work and it was eventually the seed that ended up killing Tezuka's company because it simply wasn't economically feasible to produce anime under such constraints. To cap it all off, despite Tezuka's low pricing, he still attracted rivals in the world of TV animation.

To give you a flavour of what working on Astro Boy was like I'm just going to quote verbatim from Anime A History (emphasis mine):

Reading these accounts make it almost sound like any troubled modern studio which I suppose shouldn't be surprising considering that it was Tezuka who created this deeply flawed model in the first place. It's pretty clear that all the problems which seem endemic to the anime industry are so common because they were there from the beginning.

Anyway, I hope that's given you a fresh perspective on the anime business and, as ever, I strongly encourage you to purchase Anime a History if you have any interest in learning more and I got all of my content from this post from it's pages. It is, without a doubt, the finest book I have ever had the pleasure of reading concerning anime and I can only imagine it will be an invaluable resource for years to come.

Appreciate this post. You have always been very eloquent with these things and even with this subject matter its an excellent writeup. The anime industry has always seemed on the brink of disaster. I can think of few other examples of an entire industry so crucially dependent on a few factors that has somehow stayed alive and kept companies functioning, if even on a barely adequate level. Anime is truly a medium borne of passion, and not for a love of money. There simply isnt much of that to be made doing it. Balancing cutting costs with producing the best product possible is a very difficult but rewarding process for these studios and I admire the dedication, even if its all really seemingly headed for a cliff. I will enjoy it as long as it lasts.

I bought a 5 shelf bookcase for all my Blurays and books from Target for about $20.

I can't believe it's finally coming. This 7 month delay suuuuuucked.

Damn Funimation.

There's a lot of anime I'm getting in over the next month-ish. Koimonogatari, KLK v4, Sailor Moon Pt. 2, Ben-to, and Space Dandy (now on March 3rd). TWGOK S3 will probably ship super early too.

Yeah Im looking forward to FEbruary/March :D
My wallet is so pained but it is a good pain.

Huh, Golden Boy - 06 going all Shirobako on me oO

Yup. Best animation studio episode ever.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
About that...

dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

cajunator

Banned
Isuca - 01

I uh.. this is sort of interesting? The opening scene [NSFW?] had me all sort of 'What the fuck is this?' I mean the monster designs are pretty cool. These Specters enter our world and kill to stay here, while the heroine is trying to banish them. And I assume the Specter Catgirl is joining up?
Honestly I'm kinda intrigued, it had this eerie feeling sort of. At the same time it keeps having these weird ecchi moments [NSFW?] and stupid censor. I left with a positive impression, so there's that I guess.

isuca 1 - well thats rather different to the manga, with lot of gratuitousness and monster fighting that the manga didn't have.

ISUCA 01

So it's a Horror-Harem-Comedy? I wasn't expecting that.

So this must be a new show.
Guess Ill add it to the queue.

fertygo

I was anticipating the same twist as you, so when we got the actual reveal, I was pretty underwhelmed.
Plastic surgery, that's it?
All the build up for that?

I thought its an
eye surgery, the plastic surgery is another fix

EDIT: Bah I misunderstood this.

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 42 - Celestial Spirit Beast

Was confused why all the girls were holding themselves in the scenes (but not in the CR preview pic...)...but then we did have shirtless Gray for most of the episode...which was fair and good.

Great action.

/XX/

I must confess, I haven't mustered the energy to sit down and create a proper post on the subject of anime in months. For that, I must apologise because there's been plenty of high quality content worthy of analysis and discussion. Still, this all changed when I started to read about the history of anime and the story I discovered seemed so important to the foundation of the modern anime industry that I felt compelled to write about it. Please bear with me because this post is unfortunately far too long.
Thanks for the very nice write-up, as always when coming from you Jexhius!

Anyway, I hope that's given you a fresh perspective on the anime business and, as ever, I strongly encourage you to purchase Anime a History if you have any interest in learning more and I got all of my content from this post from it's pages. It is, without a doubt, the finest book I have ever had the pleasure of reading concerning anime and I can only imagine it will be an invaluable resource for years to come.
It was worth the wait, isn't it? Although the review from the supervisor of his first draft as a PhD thesis consumed additional time until the final publication, it is still impressive how many months the actual research and writing process alone apparently took from his life. Admirable to share that with everyone!

If anyone else here is interested on checking this book, something more accessible and immediate as an introduction to Mr. Clements' own perspective for the Japanese animation industry history can be enjoyed here as well:

AF12 - Wrong About Anime / Omyly o anime - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevPFBmOdig

Midonin

Milky Holmes TD 04

A horror story that turns into a swimsuit/comedy beach festival, all revolving around gags. So far, TD has been having more coherent stories than S1 and 2, with a much clearer throughline, but the amount of gags it keeps throwing at the viewer is roughly the same. I am enjoying it, but if it does have anything to say, it seems to be more about Marine than Milky Holmes themselves.

TheRancor

AF12 - Wrong About Anime / Omyly o anime - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevPFBmOdig
I've seen this before, and I've always questioned the accuracy on his Kill Bill segment on them supposedly filming it in live action only to draw over it/rotoscope/motion capture/whatever. You mean to tell me animators like Shinya Ohira, Mitsuo Iso, Yasunori Miyazawa, Takaaki Yamashita and so on were hired just to draw over live action scenes? Then calling it a bad looking cartoon. What?

It's even mentioned somewhat in the book, but the rest of it is really good anyways and people should buy it.

/XX/

Oh, and to keep-on with the topic of animation production; Cha Seung-il (@SeHNNG) promised to keep updating his translation of the glossary section present on SHIROBAKO's official website (http://shirobako-anime.com/words.html), so keep a close eye on it for future interesting explanations:

Altair & Vega » Shirobako’s Glossary, with Pictures and Annotations
http://altairandvega.net/2015/01/07/shirobako_glossary/

I've seen this before, and I've always questioned the accuracy on his Kill Bill segment on them supposedly filming a live action only to draw over it/rotoscope/motion capture/whatever. You mean to tell me animators like Shinya Ohira, Mitsuo Iso, Yasunori Miyazawa, Takaaki Yamashita and so on were hired just to draw over live action scenes? Then calling it a bad looking cartoon. What?
Yep, that claim was unfortunate, and reminiscent of other usual criticisms towards 'realism'-based animators like Shinji Hashimoto as well...

TheRancor

Oh, and to keep-on with the topic of animation production; Cha Seung-il (@SeHNNG) promised to keep updating his translation of the glossary section present on SHIROBAKO's official website (http://shirobako-anime.com/words.html), so keep a close eye on it for future interesting explanations:

Altair & Vega » Shirobako’s Glossary, with Pictures and Annotations
http://altairandvega.net/2015/01/07/shirobako_glossary/
Never knew he was going to keep it updated or there were even updates. Nice!

Yep, that claim was unfortunate, and reminiscent of other usual criticisms towards 'realism'-based animators like Shinji Hashimoto as well...
Not to mention Hiroyuki Okiura.

Koufuku Graffiti 3
Goddammit now I'm hungry again. And I just ate breakfast too. Liked how the "Taberuuuuuu" segment had the salaryman from the story they mentioned earlier.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 16:

Right, not really all that much to this episode, The Junior League is having fun on their adventure bonding and learning about life and as always there are the more ominous portents of the politics of Akihabara going on in the background. Not the most exciting episode and I can tell some people are going to hate it but the Junior League really has been out of focus til now and needs the screen time.

Koufuku Graffiti 03

You know Omurice has always been one of those things I see in anime that I would never eat. Yet seeing them cooking it, eat it with that SHAFT magic actually makes me consider trying it out. Not much to say here besides another great episode with all three girls and another great ED to watch.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Assassination Classroom Episode 3:

I can see why Karma is such a fan favorite character as he pretty much steals the show and watching his game of psychological warfare with Koro Sensei is by far the most interesting and engaging experience this show has provided thus far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So the latest episode of Cinderella Girls spurred me to go back and check in on the original idolm@ster. Personally I find the shared elements and divergences between both series to be fascinating, but actually rewatching im@s revealed how much more complex it could be, even when dealing with thematically similar elements.
Episode six of The iDOLM@STER comes in early, and we're treated to a look at Producer-san's inexperience creating turmoil. While Ritsuko's new offshoot group Ryūgū Komachi are up to their knees in work the remaining 765 idols feel a little adrift. Producer-san tries to make up for this by lining up as many projects as he can for those with less work, but he's fitting the wrong idols into jobs that fit them poorly, overbooking schedules, and presenting lousy pitches without any connections. The guy can't even draw straight lines inside of his own notebook. P-san lacks personality and doesn't get much growth even in this weak moment, instead we see the idols themselves stepping up to show that they are capable of handling difficult situations. He's able to coast along on their own strength, both inside the narrative and from the perspective of who he is as a character. The episode ends with the realization that P-san is surrounded by talented individuals that he needs to work together with in order to succeed.

There's actually a bunch of little nuances to the episode as well that create smaller arcs inside of the episode while setting up stories still to come. Miki, shown in one of the opening shots dozing away, readjusts her habits through envy. With her peers picking up popularity and attention she eventually steps in to save the day.

While all this stuff is happening we have Ryūgū Komachi growing in the background, bonding early in the episode in their attempts to maintain "balance", drawing attention with costume fitting that ties back to rousing up Miki, and later holding on to the climax of the episode with a televised broadcast of one of their songs. This dance sequence is framed by the 765 pro idols and crew gathering around the TV to watch the performance. It's an interesting lens that provides a casual environment for natural reactions to come out. It's relaxed, but we see certain characters nervously picking apart their own performance, and Miki's conflict between approval and wanting to be on stage herself. The dance itself has really excellent character to character blocking in a way that makes the choreography feel quite thoughtful. This isn't an overly emotional episode that stands out inside of The iDOLM@STER's catalogue, but I actually think it winds up being one of the best in the series. It's digestible and to the point while maintaining a certain underlying complexity. The struggle of the characters feels tense, but the show doesn't attempt to hold the viewer emotionally hostage over the prospect of everything collapsing and the world potentially imploding.

With this in mind, it's pretty challenging to think highly of the third episode of Cinderella Girls. Using the earlier referenced im@s episode as a point of comparison we have an extraordinarily different perspective that I appreciate. The idols themselves are upstarts here, and this early hill to climb as backup dancers in a live concert setting is fairly steep. It's nice to have scenarios with high stakes, but we've primarily seen the main idol trio bond on a personal level rather than work together in a professional environment. The opportunity for that feels somewhat wasted here, and the talent growth to competency seemingly occurs by magic when it's done through plain sweaty training montage. Old im@s had P-san gradually coming to a realization that he needed to change behavior patterns over the course of an episode. It was a mentality change with a slow build that still needed to be proven. Cinderella Girls thrusts its protagonists into a spotlight and has them preform even under pressure and with minimal training. It all feels too smooth.
While the excess of characters flooding into CG from Idolmaster games can come across as exceedingly commercial, I have to say that I enjoy what they can provide to the setting. 346 Production feels monolithic and far reaching compared to the cozy 765 we saw in the past. It's a strong differentiator, and the wide idol cast lends an array of insert songs that feel like they actually fit. Our idol protagonists are able to have heroes above them at multiple levels, which enables interesting power dynamics. Those are still fairly understated, but there's room for the series to grow in that direction. Even within the trio of backup dancers this episode had interesting power shifts as the appointed leader came to doubt herself, and the idol with the least experience seemed to pull everything together (again, without trying very hard).

One of the great dangers for the show is that the audience has been attached to a subset of a subset of idols in Cinderella Girls. Our small group of backup dancers has yet to even really integrate with their larger group, but the constant interjection of these peers into the performance process feels completely needless. The rivalry and desire to work idol jobs amounts to cheap gags and visual tricks. Miki's interference was minimal and well mannered by comparison, her complaints directed at the producer and her role in the story becoming immediately meaningful. For CG it's hard to feel like the larger cast has any connective tissue binding these characters in a meaningful way. The viewing party of the performance had a great deal of meaning in the sixth episode of old im@s, but the Cinderella Group here has no meaning yet. These characters haven't established shared goals or interests yet, instead most come off as fetishistic entities that have wormed their way into a story well before their welcome. Hopefully if they get their own episodes or story arcs they aren't as disastrous as some of the The iDOLM@STER's lowest moments.

Jex

So the latest episode of Cinderella Girls spurred me to go back and check in on the original idolm@ster. Personally I find the shared elements and divergences between both series to be fascinating, but actually rewatching im@s revealed how much more complex it could be, even when dealing with thematically similar elements....
This is a really good post that touches upon a number of problems with CG. In all honesty, my tolerance for anything idol-related is pretty damn low so I'm fairly tempted to just abandon the property considering how quickly it's departing from what seemed to be the initial set-up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is a really good post that touches upon a number of problems with CG. In all honesty, my tolerance for anything idol-related is pretty damn low so I'm fairly tempted to just abandon the property considering how quickly it's departing from what seemed to be the initial set-up.
Finding out Zvezda's OVA was idol related was supremely deflating. At the very least, Cinderella Girls is still miles ahead of other idol shows when it comes to the actual music and dance numbers in a way that feels like it justifies the chosen topic.

phaze

Durarara x2 03

Well this was loads of fun and a first episode of this outing that managed to fully recapture that old DRRR vibe for me. As usual lots of playing with non-linearity and an unexpectedly quick answer to the question of Hollywood killer identity. The newly introduced psycho is so far my favourite from the new characters though I wonder if she's not too similar to Anri.

Shinra and his father are starting to grow on me.

No-Rin 10

It's an episode about selling vegetables.

No really. It's a father vs son, organic vs chemically grown vegetable sales battle, and... the chemically grown vegetables wins, even when they use all the tricks in the book to sell the organic vegetables. Alright...

Midonin

I remember that Sora Kake episode. That was a fun one.

Dog Days'' 03

I had forgotten about those Hero Crystal forms. A temporary aging and powering up - neat. And seeing all this in action reminds me that Nanoha ViVid is coming soon. More magical girls are always welcome. This was a war, but since there was no question among the main characters which side they were on, it makes me think. Non-human invaders usually stand for something - the dragons in Fafnir are more like natural disasters, while the Metaphysicals in World Break seem more like old gods. These demons, in contrast, are really more of a pollution/pest problem. One that requires a massive cast to deal with, but a simple cleaning house of nature.

It's a nice way to keep the cool fight scenes and imagery of magical war, without any of the bad parts that the connotation of "war" would imply. I have a feeling these aren't the last we'll see of the demons - and Sharl really oughta stop by the main hubs of civilization at some point, get a feel for how the people live - but for now, the big opening number has come to a close, and it's time for some fun.

Shonen Hollywood Holly Stage For 50 Episode 16 - A Real Handshake

Imagining if I could do this event and shake Shun-Shun hand was the best. Or even imagining my other anime idol, Ittoki Otoya (utapri).

Loved the way they acted out on the streets and the big realization. I hope they get big to play in some martial arts stadium. Never realized this facilities were that big, unless its a JPN thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom