• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ibfMFAqXCMjeg.jpg
This... 2deep4me.

Acosta

Shiro Bako [1-12]

Love this show. It´s a realistic (I think? it looks like it!) slice of life show, with zero focus on romance whatsoever, really centered about its theme, and with the right amount of light drama and pressure that makes me interested but not overwhelmed. The girls are cute but it´s not focused on cute things, I could envision the same series with a more realistic art, or even human actors. Overall it´s interesting and engaging.

The way they managed to finish the first arc
was a little toooo convenient but I'm ok with it, I prefer it being a bit light.

Jex

I kinda disagree. I feel like it moves the IP forward in an interesting direction.
The fact that Madoka was clearly written as a short, tight story with a satisfying and conclusive ending helped make it feel unusual and potent in a world where anime only exist to fuel sales of merch and associated media. It's obvious that when Madoka was envisioned and written that no-one thought it would turn into one of the biggest shows of it's era (and how could you?) which meant they didn't really leave much wriggle room to backdoor-in further Madoka anime.

Using that exact phrasing, specifically "IP", makes you sound like a suit in a Production Committee trying to work out how best to "exploit the IP". I can guarantee that if Madoka had been created with that specific mindset and with sequels/spin-offs in mind it wouldn't have been half as good.

Jarmel

Banned
The fact that Madoka was clearly written as a short, tight story with a satisfying and conclusive ending helped make it feel unusual and potent in a world where anime only exist to fuel sales of merch and associated media. It's obvious that when Madoka was envisioned and written that no-one thought it would turn into one of the biggest shows of it's era (and how could you?) which meant they didn't really leave much wriggle room to backdoor-in further Madoka anime.

Using that exact phrasing, specifically "IP", makes you sound like a suit in a Production Committee trying to work out how best to "exploit the IP". I can guarantee that if Madoka had been created with that specific mindset and with sequels/spin-offs in mind it wouldn't have been half as good.

Would it be better if I said narrative? The story in Rebellion presents a different side to Homura and fleshes her out more as a character while also serving as a sort of expansion of worldbuilding.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 08

Asuka huh, she's quite the contrast to Rei. I have high hopes for this lady. I'm glad Shinji has become more cheerful. The fight felt kinda odd, but then I guess you can't do much in water. Jumping ship to ship was kinda sweet though.
That Kaji guy seems like a cool dude, if somewhat shady. The guy is transporting some sort of 'first human' fetus called Adam to Dad of the year.. Was that first Angel pregnant and gave birth to these nasty things or some shit?
The fact that the Angel located them and seemed to search for something makes me wonder how they know all that stuff. May very well just have been for convenience of introducing Asuka and her Eva, but you never know!
qBj8Ax6.jpg
y2dKodH.jpg
tqJ1DOT.jpg

dis smooth criminal

santeesioux

They need to get more stuff like Space Dandy (that's obviously expensive so it isn't something that will happen very often). The problem is all they get is stuff i've either seen already or have no interest in watching like Shippoden. I used to watch Toonami every week, then it went down to just Space Dandy, now I don't watch it at all. Crunchyroll ruined it for me.

Mature

Hmm you know if you wanted anime to actually get any kind of viewership you'd think that it would air at a sane time like after school.
Adult Swim and Cartoon Network are separate entities. Toonami is run by people who work at AS and they basically do it in their spare time for free.

It's too bad that there's no place on American TV these days to expose people to good anime. I guess TV is shrinking in relevance anyways, but it'd be nice to have some well-curated place to promote and expose people to the best of what comes out of Japan.

Jex

Please inform me how they could possibly do this.

Because they can't.

So what you're telling me is that there's no way to repair their defunct and outdated model? Sounds like their end is truly inevitable which is a shame.

Not that I imagine that this changes much in terms of how young people are consuming their anime anyway - I have to imagine most people just stream everything anyway. You obviously lose the communal aspect this way, which is the real issue.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
3:00P Amazing World of Gumball Fraud Void
3:30P Amazing World of Gumball Boss/Move
4:00P Teen Titans Go! Terra-ized/Artful Dodgers
4:30P Teen Titans Go! Burger vs. Burrito/Matched
5:00P Teen Titans Go! Colors of Raven/Left Leg
5:30P Uncle Grandpa Dog Day
5:45P Teen Titans Go! Knowledge
6:00P Teen Titans Go! No Power/Sidekick
6:30P Amazing World of Gumball

My god, 1.5 hours of Gumballs and 2.5 hours of Teen Titans.

And this isn't even counting all the Teen Titans that airs at 6AM all throughout the morning. Who the hell needs that much Teen Titans??? Forget about Toonami, CN needs to save itself first.

Grexeno

So what you're telling me is that there's no way to repair their defunct and outdated business model? Sounds like their end is truly inevitable.
Nothing about Toonami's business model is any more outdated or defunct than the rest of television. The simple fact is that Cartoon Network, Nick, etc. decided to stop showing anime, which killed it the first time. Now, there is pretty much no place for cartoons that aren't pure comedy on US television, and ESPECIALLY not on Cartoon Network.

Mature

My god, 1.5 hours of Gumballs and 2.5 hours of Teen Titans.

And this isn't even counting all the Teen Titans that airs at 6AM all throughout the morning. Who the hell needs that much Teen Titans??? Forget about Toonami, CN needs to save itself first.
Hey, Gumball is good television.

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*1,107 *1 Ai Tenchi Muyo! [BD+DVD]
Love tenchi muyo but can't forgive this.
I have mixed feelign on the fact that it didn't work , but when you're not giving me what i want i guess that result was not unexpected.

In my interpretation of the events of the TV series, Madoka rewrites one of the fundamental laws of their universe (hope -> despair) but that's as far as her influence extended. She wasn't God or Jesus although her function was very Christ-like in that she's saving the souls of the damned.

Basically it's like:

Before Madoka, the conversion from hope to despair was an automatic reaction because this is how their universe worked.

After Madoka, there came to be a hard cap on the conversion from hope to despair as envisioned by Madoka during her wish. But the price for creating this law was that she would have to be the law. She becomes the personification of a concept, similar to The Endless from Sandman.

What Homura does, in Rebellion, was separate Madoka the Law from Madoka the person. But like Madoka before her, her rewrite isn't perfect either and there exists a tenuous connection between Madoka and the Law of the Cycle.

The Incubators' isolation of Homura can explained away with super magic science. Pocket dimensions are a well worn concept in sci-fi and fantasy, this is the same deal.

Where does Homura's power to change the universe come from? Well it's not fully explained because how do you make a consistent ruleset for god creation? But what I imagine happened was that Homura was isolated and studied for a very very long time. I don't think we should take the movie at face value and assume there is 1:1 relationship between time in the world inside Homura's gem and time in the world outside of it. With that in mind, it's very possible that Homura's witch powers fermented and changed over time into something new, so what happened to her was unprecedented in both the pre-Madoka and post-Madoka universes.

Homura
stole madoka power and added more rules to madoka wish , corrupting the ensemble. It's not where do this comes from ? the source is know to everyone. If you're questionning when a time travelling magical girl could do that when she was even there during the previous wish and one of the few that remembered everything, the conclusion writes itself.

cajunator

Banned
Azumanga Daioh 12-14

The Chiyo-focused episode was adorable, especially the ending. The episode, without saying it, raising the question of her possibly growing up too fast was done in a nice way - and getting her perspective on the other students was great. (Of course Tomo plays Kamen Rider. This is another reason why she's great.)

The exams episode was pretty funny, and the second beach episode also accomplished a lot without saying it. The details of what Nyamo went in to are best left to the imagination, where I'm wavering between it dealing with either complex emotional pain, or it was simply lewd. Whichever one you think would impact the girls like they did.

From what I'm seeing here, AzuDai also had more than one beach episode in its runtime, containing callbacks to the previous one while expanding on having a new character there. Was it disparaged years later because it had been done before, or because the style of humor worked better for the audience and their state at the time? I knew the internet was still finding its legs around that time, too.

I dont recall anyone really questioning AzuDai's beach episodes or really having much complaint about it at all. IT was hugely successful and well loved by most everyone I ever met who was an anime fan. There was no disdain over it being "moe" or not having much plot, it was seen as something a bit different from the norm and I think one of the first 4 koma shows to be adapted. People loved how weird it could be and Chiyo chan and Kaorin and Sakaki and how creepy Mr Kimura was. There was a fun dynamic between all the characters and it just worked so well. The problems seem to have come afterwards, when shows began to imitate the formula for the sake of establishing slice of life aesthetic.

My set still isn't here :(. I totally want to wear the eyepatch too!

Take an eyepatch selfie when you get it!

Girl Friend Beta 09

The closest we'll ever get to Yotsuba anime? :p

It's a culture festival episode with focus on the light music club. And... there's actually some male characters that speaks! Strange.

Thats...not funny Mike :(

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

11,098 *1 Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road [BD+DVD]
10,912 *5 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
---------- 10k Line ----------
*9,003 *5 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*8,855 *4 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*8,194 *4 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD]
*7,923 *4 Shirobako [BD] 
*5,694 *4 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,360 *4 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,574 *4 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*4,165 *4 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,718 *4 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD] 
*3,184 *4 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*2,829 *1 Donten ni Warau [BD-Box/DVD-Box]
*2,609 *1 Girlfriend (kari) [BD+DVD]
*1,919 *3 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,151 *1 Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken [BD+DVD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD]
*1,107 *1 Ai Tenchi Muyo! [BD+DVD]
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD]  
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD]  
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD]

Excluding the updated numbers for Psycho-Pass S2, everything bolded is a new entry.

Volume 2 sales are making their way as well.

Source

Yuuki Yuuna is selling very well. I really hope theres a sequel.

For some reason, the more positive reviews I read of the Madoka movie the less I want to watch it. I can't really explain why except that, perhaps, I was simply satisfied with the TV series. Not enthralled, but satisfied.

I dont blame you for it, as Madoka Rebellion is both heavily up for interpretation and controversial. I liked the new direction it went and the balls to go there, but some people wanted it to end with the way the series did. Thats fine. Rebellion game me the keeki song though and nobody can take that from me!

Jex

Nothing about Toonami's business model is any more outdated or defunct than the rest of television. The simple fact is that Cartoon Network, Nick, etc. decided to stop showing anime, which killed it the first time. Now, there is pretty much no place for cartoons that aren't pure comedy on US television, and ESPECIALLY not on Cartoon Network.

So, broadly speaking, yes? Given the situation you describe it essentially sounds hopeless because if US made programming is cheaper and gets more viewers then there's no reason to ever show anime beyond some weird attachment to it. I had thought this was the case which is why I was surprised to hear that it had even been revived to such an extent.

The obvious problem with everyone viewing anime online vs TV broadcast is that with TV every single person is on the same page at the same time creating really unified conversations. Compare that to the rest of anime fandom and, outside of a few select shows, we're all basically talking at cross-purposes.

I have to wonder how much anime fandom even originates from TV viewing these days. A cursory glance at Anime conventions seems to suggest that that they're growing every year (taking into account attendance inflation and the fact that this is a very rough way to measure fandom) it sounds like the appreciation of anime within the US is doing just fine.

Majin Bone Episode 43
B8X75e-CQAEdqAp.jpg
B8ZEMZqCMAEv5Rw.png

I didnt know clam digging could be an opportunity to self reflect and think. Perhaps Ive underestimated the importance of this Australian pastime.

I didnt understand the thing about not drinking the tap water in Los Angeles. As one who supports the tap water industry it was such an odd moment in this anime.

Good episode for Luke, pretty cool fight

Midonin

The problems seem to have come afterwards, when shows began to imitate the formula for the sake of establishing slice of life aesthetic.
I just think it's weird that when the manga/anime graduated from "Azumanga imitatators" into a legitimate genre, the amount of respect it gained seemed to go down. And the subtext of my post was basically "Why the hell is K-ON! still seen as everything wrong with anime?"

That's half my motivation for deciding to watch this in general. To see a show hailed as a classic, and to figure out why the genre is now looked down upon. Not so interested in where things changed with the shows as I am in where things changed with the fandom.

I think this is more a problem of the absolutely fucking pathetic lineup that Cartoon networks have.
Does Nickelodeon still show like 3 hours of SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents reruns a day?

Edit: Jesus Christ I just look at Cartoon Network lineups and half of it is Teen Titans Go! (is that the chibi shit) and Gumball reruns. It's worse then I thought.

Crocodile

The obvious problem with everyone viewing anime online vs TV broadcast is that with TV every single person is on the same page at the same time creating really unified conversations. Compare that to the rest of anime fandom and, outside of a few select shows, we're all basically talking at cross-purposes.

I'm confused isn't that a good thing? For example, it was nice that the entire anime community could talk about Space Dandy at the same time rather than clusters of segmented groups talking across time and potential biasing each other as would happen if some say the show via JP streamed subs and some saw the later on air dub.

cajunator

Banned
I just think it's weird that when the manga/anime graduated from "Azumanga imitatators" into a legitimate genre, the amount of respect it gained seemed to go down. And the subtext of my post was basically "Why the hell is K-ON! still seen as everything wrong with anime?"

That's half my motivation for deciding to watch this in general. To see a show hailed as a classic, and to figure out why the genre is now looked down upon. Not so interested in where things changed with the shows as I am in where things changed with the fandom.

Honestly I dont know, but I suspect it may have begun with Lucky Star. I distinctly remember a backlash starting right around when that came out, especially the first episode which was literally about the girls talking about chocolate cornets and almost nothing else. It was so vapid (and the show got new direction and improved a lot) I think it started the anti-moe anti-slice of life movement largely by itself. K-On became so popular that this already growing resentment was only strengthened amongst those who already hated slice of life and moe aesthetics.
I dont recall SoL or moe being attacked to this degree before these two shows came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom