• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

Honestly I dont know, but I suspect it may have begun with Lucky Star. I distinctly remember a backlash starting right around when that came out, especially the first episode which was literally about the girls talking about chocolate cornets and almost nothing else. It was so vapid (and the show got new direction and improved a lot) I think it started the anti-moe anti-slice of life movement largely by itself. K-On became so popular that this already growing resentment was only strengthened amongst those who already hated slice of life and moe aesthetics.
I dont recall SoL or moe being attacked to this degree before these two shows came out.

It's at least in part because that segment wrote off Lucky Star after episode one or two, did not check back in when it got new directorial staff, and grew enraged as it became ungodly levels of popular despite an alleged lack of substance. K-ON! got hate for similar reasons, not least of which it seemed like it'd be about music when it really wasn't. I think the hatred's largely misplaced, but then again I also like both series.

cajunator

Banned
The fact that Madoka was clearly written as a short, tight story with a satisfying and conclusive ending helped make it feel unusual and potent in a world where anime only exist to fuel sales of merch and associated media. It's obvious that when Madoka was envisioned and written that no-one thought it would turn into one of the biggest shows of it's era (and how could you?) which meant they didn't really leave much wriggle room to backdoor-in further Madoka anime.

Using that exact phrasing, specifically "IP", makes you sound like a suit in a Production Committee trying to work out how best to "exploit the IP". I can guarantee that if Madoka had been created with that specific mindset and with sequels/spin-offs in mind it wouldn't have been half as good.

Madoka magica did throw out some big names in its staff though and really drummed up hype. I think it was planned to be successful from ghe start and merchandise was undoubtedly a part. However I dont think they expected it to be THAT successful.

It's too bad that there's no place on American TV these days to expose people to good anime. I guess TV is shrinking in relevance anyways, but it'd be nice to have some well-curated place to promote and expose people to the best of what comes out of Japan.

TV is kind of an outdated medium for this sorta thing now. anime fans have netflix, crunchyroll, Funimation, Itunes, google play, all sorts of ways to get exposed to anime. thats the future of anime distribution. TV is a dinosaur at this point.

Will there ever be a new season of Chihayafuru? I miss it :(

We were beyond fortunate to even get two seasons of Chihayafuru. I think thats all we will get.

It's at least in part because that segment wrote off Lucky Star after episode one or two, did not check back in when it got new directorial staff, and grew enraged as it became ungodly levels of popular despite an alleged lack of substance. K-ON! got hate for similar reasons, not least of which it seemed like it'd be about music when it really wasn't. I think the hatred's largely misplaced, but then again I also like both series.

Im pretty certain those two shows were the catalysts. Its unfortunate. I mean Galaxy Angel was literally cute space girls doing pointless cute things for a hundred episodes, but nobody really cared as much as they do about Lucky Star or K-On.

Midonin

Right. I know no one person can do it alone, but I would love it if the daily life genre had its reputation restored. I remember at my old anime board when I was talking about Acchi Kocchi with someone, who said it was the best series since AzuDai, and I wondered. "Azumanga was almost 10 years ago, surely at least one other noteworthy series has joined alongside it during that time?"

Of course, the rise of late night anime fragmented things even further, but the western fandom still has its genre biases. Like how many mecha anime could also be classified under the "I've seen this already" kind of show, but because people in the Western fandom grew up liking sci-fi, they're given the benefit of the doubt more often... but if they fail, the mocking and reactions seem to be a lot more scrutinous than they would be against something like Absolute Duo not meeting expectations.

I also want the romantic comedy/"harem" genre to have its reputation restored - Ranma 1/2 was more or less one of the major starters of anime fandom - but from there I could get into another long discussion about the difference between the role of emotions that's expected in entertainment as well as what people grew up with and how culture shapes us. There's a lot to unpack.

I'm not asking for the Western fandom to agree with me on everything. There's too many people and too many niches for that to ever happen. But I would like it if there was a little less knee-jerk reactions and dismissals and seemingly grouping every show into "garbage", "good" and the rare "legit good". It feels too reductive and doesn't encourage discussion.

Something like that.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 40
B8ZJh4pCUAAtNZA.png

Kind of wish they showed more of the girl power fight, usually they are pretty good in cardgame anime. Yuzu-oneechan always has a good deck and with fusion learned from Sora she got even better. Oh well at least we saw the conclusion.

Akaba Reiji is too incredible. Hid duel was fantastic. We need more duelists like him.

I think he must be from Fusion Dimension, no way he is from Standard as he is too skilled with Fusion.

I think this is more a problem of the absolutely fucking pathetic lineup that Cartoon networks have.
Does Nickelodeon still show like 3 hours of SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents reruns a day?

Edit: Jesus Christ I just look at Cartoon Network lineups and half of it is Teen Titans Go! (is that the chibi shit) and Gumball reruns. It's worse then I thought.

Why did they have to go and ruin Teen Titains with this chibi crap. It use to be pretty great but now it's just lame.

Seriously what happened to the old Cartoon Network.

Grexeno

Why did they have to go and ruin Teen Titains with this chibi crap. It use to be pretty great but now it's just lame.

Seriously what happened to the old Cartoon Network.
They realized that it's incredibly cheaper to air comedy cartoons that barely need to be animated, than to air cartoons with any sort of action bent, and which require actual animation.

cajunator

Banned
Right. I know no one person can do it alone, but I would love it if the daily life genre had its reputation restored. I remember at my old anime board when I was talking about Acchi Kocchi with someone, who said it was the best series since AzuDai, and I wondered. "Azumanga was almost 10 years ago, surely at least one other noteworthy series has joined alongside it during that time?"

Of course, the rise of late night anime fragmented things even further, but the western fandom still has its genre biases. Like how many mecha anime could also be classified under the "I've seen this already" kind of show, but because people in the Western fandom grew up liking sci-fi, they're given the benefit of the doubt more often... but if they fail, the mocking and reactions seem to be a lot more scrutinous than they would be against something like Absolute Duo not meeting expectations.

I also want the romantic comedy/"harem" genre to have its reputation restored - Ranma 1/2 was more or less one of the major starters of anime fandom - but from there I could get into another long discussion about the difference between the role of emotions that's expected in entertainment as well as what people grew up with and how culture shapes us. There's a lot to unpack.

I'm not asking for the Western fandom to agree with me on everything. There's too many people and too many niches for that to ever happen. But I would like it if there was a little less knee-jerk reactions and dismissals and seemingly grouping every show into "garbage", "good" and the rare "legit good". It feels too reductive and doesn't encourage discussion.

Something like that.

I think I fall on the opposite side where a lot of things are good and I can enjoy many things. Ive never really gotten over the "excitement" of anime.

duckroll

I feel like I should mention that Yuji Kanenko is part of Trigger and is the background art director for both LWA and KLK. So in short, one of the few good things about KLK. Super talented.

He's not part of Trigger though. He's just a freelance art director who works with Trigger a lot. He also worked Madoka, Patema Inverted, Harmonie, and Ao Haru Ride. :p

Crocodile

I'll actually defend Teen Titans Go. Most episodes are actually pretty funny. CN overdoses on that show though.

But yeah, the state of American action animation is ABYSMAL. I kind of want to know what if feels like to be an accomplished or up and coming animator in the West who doesn't care for comedy or would rather work on an action series. The Marvel animated shows on right now are so uninspired and Venture Bros only makes 10 episodes every 5 years or something. Do they all learn 3D CGI and work on TMNT (and an actually good show to be fair) or the occasional Pixar/Disney movies?

John Blade

Well...now that I finish watching Southern Cross...going to jump to watch Lost Universe.

http://youtu.be/C9H0diuI2fA

Never saw the show before and the only thing that make me watch this show was the catchy (at that time when I 1st hear it) opening tune. Going to be interesting to see this show.

Nooo :( Is the manga still ongoing? I figured it was somewhat popular.

Yes, the Chihayafuru manga is still ongoing. It is somewhat popular, but that certainly doesn't equate to more anime getting made. At any rate, the Chihayafuru anime team is currently working on the adaptation of Ore Monogatari for NTV in the spring, so it'll be a while until they'd be free to work on anything else.

Jarmel

Banned
Yoru no Yatterman-3
Yea, so this is definitely TTGL inspired. I had been thinking that for awhile now and this episode sort of confirmed it for me. I hadn't mentioned it but I wasn't a fan of the 2nd episode all that much, mainly the 2nd half as it felt too messy. This episode however was right on form and reminded me of why I liked the first episode so much.
Couple of things I liked about this episode. First the use of the flashback stood in contrast for me compared to Lesbian Bear Storm. Unlike there, this episode used the flashback as a way of showing why Leopard grew attached to Alouette, through the soup. It's simple enough though, to show why this wasn't shown in the first episode as it's just her mother feeding her soup, however it's important in the context of the episode. The other thing is about Galina in that I was worried that he might be a gimmick sort of character, like Two-Face in Batman, but instead he at the end makes his own choice instead of relying or depending on chance.

I'm curious about the dynamic of the characters going forward. Galina, Tonzra, and Boyacky all seem 'wise' to the world in the sense that they know how fucked up it is. While Leopard and Alouette provide the innocence. It should be interesting to see how they all play off each other forward.

Oh and the sakuga cuts at the end were good. AOTS.

Yoru no Yatterman-3

The other thing is about Galina in that I was worried that he might be a gimmick sort of character, like Two-Face in Batman, but instead he at the end makes his own choice instead of relying or depending on chance.

I think the dice thing was a callback to the original series. Not sure though.

Jarmel

Banned
He's not part of Trigger though. He's just a freelance art director who works with Trigger a lot. He also worked Madoka, Patema Inverted, Harmonie, and Ao Haru Ride. :p

He's worked on every one of their productions. By that account you could say that Yoshinari isn't a part of Trigger either since he isn't a co-founder like Imaishi.

Edit: Except Inferno Cop. Keep forgetting about that one.

faridmon

Will there ever be a new season of Chihayafuru? I miss it :(

Mee too buddy. Hopefully they still continue the story. The ending of the 2nd season definitely marked more things to come.

The problem is that Madhouse can't too many project so we have to wait until it exhaust its current line-up

duckroll

He's worked on every one of their productions. By that account you could say that Yoshinari isn't a part of Trigger either since he isn't a co-founder like Imaishi.

What? No, that's not how it works. If someone is a Trigger employee, they are part of the studio. If they're not an employee, they're not part of the studio. What are you even talking about. A person can be a freelancer who also works very frequently with a particular studio. Kaneko is not a Trigger employee, he has and continues to work on other projects which have nothing to do with Trigger.

It's like when people say Yasushi Muraki, Shingo Abe, Kenji Mizuhata, Ayumi Kurashima, etc are BONES animators. That's not true. They're freelancers who happen to work a lot with BONES. They also work on non-BONES shows, and they're not tied to the studio. Directors like Masayuki Miyaji and Tomoki Kyoda are not BONES directors either. BONES doesn't have any in-house directors. They're just freelancers who like working with the studio.

I hope that makes sense!

Jarmel

Banned
What? No, that's not how it works. If someone is a Trigger employee, they are part of the studio. If they're not an employee, they're not part of the studio. What are you even talking about. A person can be a freelancer who also works very frequently with a particular studio. Kaneko is not a Trigger employee, he has and continues to work on other projects which have nothing to do with Trigger.

It's like when people say Yasushi Muraki, Shingo Abe, Kenji Mizuhata, Ayumi Kurashima, etc are BONES animators. That's not true. They're freelancers who happen to work a lot with BONES. They also work on non-BONES shows, and they're not tied to the studio. Directors like Masayuki Miyaji and Tomoki Kyoda are not BONES directors either. BONES doesn't have any in-house directors. They're just freelancers who like working with the studio.

I hope that makes sense!

Well Tattun posted an update on Kickstarter awhile back saying "Trigger is coming to NC". In fact, Animazement listed all four under Studio Trigger:
Mr. Yoh Yoshinari - Director of Little Witch Academia and Set Design of Kill la Kill

Mr. Yuji Kaneko - Art Director of Little Witch Academia and Kill la Kill

Kazuya Masumoto - Animation Producer for KILL la KILL and Little Witch Academia

Mr. Takafumi Hori - Animator of Little Witch Academia and Kill la Kill

These are people who have direct contact with the studio. Same thing happened with the convention at NJ. Wakabayshi considers himself part of Studio Trigger for example.

duckroll

Takafumi Hori isn't a Trigger employee either. For much of last year he was in fact at MAPPA working on Garo. He only returned to Trigger to work on LWA2 at the end of the year. I mean, obviously if the studio is sending people to represent works they are known for at a convention, they will send people fans recognize or had significant contribution to the projects, but that doesn't mean they're full time employees of the studio. I think the clarification is important, even if you don't. Otherwise if we talk about Ao Haru Ride's art direction, are you going to say that Trigger worked on it? Obviously not right? That would be silly.

I think Hiromi Wakabayashi is actually a Trigger employee though. He's a production staffer who worked his way up at Gainax throughout the Gurren Lagann production, and he moved to Trigger with Imaishi. I don't think he works on anything outside Trigger.

Jarmel

Banned
Takafumi Hori isn't a Trigger employee either. For much of last year he was in fact at MAPPA working on Garo. He only returned to Trigger to work on LWA2 at the end of the year. I mean, obviously if the studio is sending people to represent works they are known for at a convention, they will send people fans recognize or had significant contribution to the projects, but that doesn't mean they're full time employees of the studio. I think the clarification is important, even if you don't. Otherwise if we talk about Ao Haru Ride's art direction, are you going to say that Trigger worked on it? Obviously not right? That would be silly.

I think Hiromi Wakabayashi is actually a Trigger employee though. He's a production staffer who worked his way up at Gainax throughout the Gurren Lagann production, and he moved to Trigger with Imaishi. I don't think he works on anything outside Trigger.

Well I guess that raises the point of how can you tell whether someone is a full time employee of the studio? Seems like you would have to have the employee saying something to the effect that they're not technically with (or the opposite) the studio, similar to what Koyama has stated in the past despite showing up at Trigger events.

duckroll

Well I guess that raises the point of how can you tell whether someone is a full time employee of the studio? Seems like you would have to have the employee saying something to the effect that they're not technically with (or the opposite) the studio, similar to what Koyama has stated in the past despite showing up at Trigger events.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell. That's why personally I never assume someone who works frequently with a given studio is permanently linked to that studio. A particularly interesting case is Yutaka Nakamura. He was (and possibly still is, technically) a freelance animator. But at some point all he ever worked on was BONES stuff. Anything he might work on outside of BONES he isn't even credited for. That's a pretty good sign that he has an exclusive contract. But since he doesn't talk about it personally, we won't know when it happened, whether it's a renewable contract or a permanent position now, etc.

In the end it doesn't really matter -that- much, but I do think it's worth clarifying that Yuji Kaneko does work on stuff outside of Trigger, and that in this case, him working with Yoshiura on this is not surprising since he worked with him on his last two projects - Patema Inverted and Harmonie. So regardless of whether Trigger was involved in this or not, it was likely that he would be involved.

Jarmel

Banned
Sometimes it can be hard to tell. That's why personally I never assume someone who works frequently with a given studio is permanently linked to that studio. A particularly interesting case is Yutaka Nakamura. He was (and possibly still is, technically) a freelance animator. But at some point all he ever worked on was BONES stuff. Anything he might work on outside of BONES he isn't even credited for. That's a pretty good sign that he has an exclusive contract. But since he doesn't talk about it personally, we won't know when it happened, whether it's a renewable contract or a permanent position now, etc.

In the end it doesn't really matter -that- much, but I do think it's worth clarifying that Yuji Kaneko does work on stuff outside of Trigger, and that in this case, him working with Yoshiura on this is not surprising since he worked with him on his last two projects - Patema Inverted and Harmonie. So regardless of whether Trigger was involved in this or not, it was likely that he would be involved.

That's interesting about Nakamura. I didn't know he wasn't being credited for non-BONES projects. Blood Blockade please.

Midonin

PriPara S2 info.

Falulu is oddly missing, but two new idols are set to debut. Mikan, the angelic idol, and Aroma the devilish idol. The battle shall take place in the Dream Theater, where the heavenly orders shall answer to the king and queen of the heavens - Meganii and Meganee, who rule the city-state of idoldom from atop their thrones with a constant, watchful eye. The day of judgment shall come, as the Prism Voice sings to the awakening of a God-tier idol.*

1QyRUpl.jpg

Mikan on the center-left, Aroma on the center-right.

*Actual plot may differ from this description.

I'm deeply impressed by duckroll knowledge of this stuff.

Duckroll a question if i may , is it something you've picked across the years because you check this very often or is this information easy to get ? ( knowing where to look of course )

Clov

PriPara S2 info.

Falulu is oddly missing, but two new idols are set to debut. Mikan, the angelic idol, and Aroma the devilish idol. The battle shall take place in the Dream Theater, where the heavenly orders shall answer to the king and queen of the heavens - Meganii and Meganee, who rule the city-state of idoldom from atop their thrones with a constant, watchful eye. The day of judgment shall come, as the Prism Voice sings to the awakening of a God-tier idol.*

*Actual plot may differ from this description.

Looks cute! The two new idols look interesting. Hopefully the cast won't get too big to manage, but I guess two more characters can't hurt.
As long as they don't take away too much from Leona's screentime.

When does it start airing?

Midonin

When does it start airing?
Next spring, this upcoming season. The first season is only going to be 38 episodes due to losing a cour to the reruns of All Star Selection, but the show got a second season with the same set of characters and a movie to make up for it.

Clov

Next spring, this upcoming season. The first season is only going to be 38 episodes due to losing a cour to the reruns of All Star Selection, but the show got a second season with the same set of characters and a movie to make up for it.

Sounds good! Hopefully the second season is a good length. Giving this cast of characters a movie sounds nice too. Can't wait!

Jarmel

Banned
Maria the Virgin Witch-3

Pretty boring. Oh and now there's an in-story reason for her to stay a virgin for the rest of the series.

Andrew J.

The fact that Madoka was clearly written as a short, tight story with a satisfying and conclusive ending helped make it feel unusual and potent in a world where anime only exist to fuel sales of merch and associated media.

The TV series had an "And the adventure continues!" ending that had all the room in the world for continued expansion.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It was more of an epilogue. You can see this in the way that Rebellion just completely glossed over the Wraiths and decided to do its own it-was-all-a-dream story.

KanameYuuki

Finally had some free time to watch Mushishi Special: Hihamukage, man mushi-shi never fails to amaze me, so good.

Are there any worth while comedies this season to watch?

Beefeater

Banned
Finally had some free time to watch Mushishi Special: Hihamukage, man mushi-shi never fails to amaze me, so good.

Comedy is subjective. I didn't like the magical boys show, but I heard the third episode is brilliant and it's by the Gintama/Nichibros director. Who knows, you might like it.

Otherwise there isn't much straight comedy, but Yatterman does the comedy part really well. Rolling Girls and Yuri Kuma are entertaining as well, if you like over the top/bizarre artsy stuff.

Yes, the Chihayafuru manga is still ongoing. It is somewhat popular, but that certainly doesn't equate to more anime getting made. At any rate, the Chihayafuru anime team is currently working on the adaptation of Ore Monogatari for NTV in the spring, so it'll be a while until they'd be free to work on anything else.

Mee too buddy. Hopefully they still continue the story. The ending of the 2nd season definitely marked more things to come.

The problem is that Madhouse can't too many project so we have to wait until it exhaust its current line-up

The manga sold pretty well I think but the anime didnt. Im pretty sure the anime just supported the manga anyway.

Ah I had no idea they were working on that series. Well that doesnt give me much confidence :/ I guess I can pick up the manga going forward, but not sure how interesting karuta will be when youre reading about it. What made the anime so engaging was how well the buildup and tension were executed in the matches.

Man I'd love some more Sabagebu.

Jarmel

Banned
Cross Ange-16
ibotWFK6b4BQrQ.jpg

ib0aEyrD0TVAGH.jpg

People being happy? I don't like it. #legendofanko
In which we have an episode filled with trifling competition and full of old sports references for the first half only to get some good old suffering, minor level though, in the 2nd half. I've enjoyed the time spend in the new dimension, mainly because it's a sort of downtime before the show goes to back to good ol' sexual assault and people being eaten alive.
ib0Mp5g0PD6k2q.jpg

ibwm9vP9bUogK4.jpg

I know exactly what he's thinking about.
I really do enjoy Anko as a character. Her sort of 'bitch mode is always on' personality makes the show a lot more enjoyable than it otherwise would be.

Tales of zestria : dawn of the shepperd

So well my copy of the game has arrived and with it the anime ( same disc do both )

It was an alright way to spend 44 minutes. The animation was alright and the character quite ok for an adaptation of the prologue of the game.

See, that's not quite fair. I'm not avoiding the work because it's popular but rather because I've already experienced a satisfying conclusion to the story. That's pretty rare in anime and so I don't particularly want to alter my personal relationship to the property.

This is probably the best attitude to take. I feel the same after watching Rebellion. It's not particularly good, and it feels like it really spoils the very satisfying conclusion to the series, as part of trying to transition Madoka from a self-contained story to a multimedia franchise (meaning that we go from a story about fighting against an exploitative system to a franchise which is becoming its own exploitative system).

I kind of wish that I hadn't seen Rebellion. Not because it necessarily undoes my positive memories of the series, but knowing what they did in that movie isn't something I can forget about, and it just feels a bit unnecessary and kind of misses the point of Madoka entirely.

I kinda disagree. I feel like it moves the IP forward in an interesting direction.

I don't think that the "IP" needed an "interesting direction" to move in. It existed just fine as it was. Madoka basically had an ending which worked as a finite end to the story it was telling, and any attempted continuation would wind up ruining that. And it turns out that's exactly what happened. So a story about young girls struggling against a corrupt system that will use their labor and dispose of them once they aren't needed anymore is tarnished by a new and completely different story which basically says that all of that struggle was meaningless.

We go from a Marxist magical girl anime to a series that is actively embracing the idea of exploiting their customers for everything they have and creating sequels just for the money. That seems like a significantly less interesting direction to me.

Sad times. The new block hasn't always been perfect, but it's had some good shows at times, and it was nice to get Toonami back on the air. At this point Inuyasha and One Piece are the only legitimately good shows it has, though (on the new schedule, I think they still have Bebop and Dandy airing late at night right now).

The TV series had an "And the adventure continues!" ending that had all the room in the world for continued expansion.

Eh, not really. Even ignoring the fact that the movie doesn't do anything with that ending itself, the ending to the TV series never really felt like a sequel hook to me. It was just showing that the world went on, and there was still a struggle in the world for the characters to face, it just wasn't the same one that the show had been concerned with.

Happiness Charge Precure: END

I'm conflicted with HapCha. On one hand, it has a pretty good cast of characters and the action is fairly good this season when not using their CG special attack forms. On the other hand, it feels like a lot of squandered potential. This show could have been near the top of the Precure tier, and yet it ends up, in my opinion, falling somewhere towards the middle.

Even realizing that it was a heavy part of the plot, the love angles really harmed the show, at least in my eyes. I sincerly hope that is one topic that Precure decides to avoid for a while, now that they've hopefully gotten it out of their systems.

But enough about little girl cartoons. As far as HapCha is concerned, I would say it is a "take it or leave it" type of show. Not a must watch, but not one to be avoided at all costs.

Seconded on Love Triangles. Toei is already bad with hetero romances for Precure that this only ended up being worse. Like to the point that even Yes! 5 Romances were better. And that had bestiality in it. Quite frankly, given the incredibly safe nature of Precure, I think they should just not do romance period.

TBH, I've been ready for HapCha to be over for a while because now it's Go! Princess time, muthafuckas! Get on this hype train!

image.php

The Rolling Girls - 01

Wasn't sure what to expect when I started this. Animation's decent, lots of color which I like. Crazy story to begin with.

Best thing so far was the guy in the Crocodile mask ;p

Episode ends on a cliff hanger, but nothing really grabbed me in the first episode that makes me want to watch it, right away at least.

Watched this for Cajun, should I keep watching?

The Rolling Girls - 01

Wasn't sure what to expect when I started this. Animation's decent, lots of color which I like. Crazy story to begin with.

Best thing so far was the guy in the Crocodile mask ;p

Episode ends on a cliff hanger, but nothing really grabbed me in the first episode that makes me want to watch it, right away at least.

Watched this for Cajun, should I keep watching?

The first two episodes are pretty and entertaining, then the third takes a dive and it's new focus around a bunch of super dull characters left me pretty pessimistic about where it's going.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fact that Madoka was clearly written as a short, tight story with a satisfying and conclusive ending helped make it feel unusual and potent in a world where anime only exist to fuel sales of merch and associated media. It's obvious that when Madoka was envisioned and written that no-one thought it would turn into one of the biggest shows of it's era (and how could you?) which meant they didn't really leave much wriggle room to backdoor-in further Madoka anime.

Using that exact phrasing, specifically "IP", makes you sound like a suit in a Production Committee trying to work out how best to "exploit the IP". I can guarantee that if Madoka had been created with that specific mindset and with sequels/spin-offs in mind it wouldn't have been half as good.

I think the thing is, if you have to whore out the franchise to keep it going, Rebellion is really the best they could have done. It is a more well conceive film than any of the Rebuild of Eva films, for example, and many of the remakes and reboots and sequels that we have seen.

I'm willing to bet that Rebellion is a better film than any of the Star Wars sequels that will come out in the next few years, for example.

Slayers NEXT Sing a long

Not a period magic episode, but something that makes Lina look embarrassed. And lewd dresses.

A shame the full song wasn't dubbed, but at least we know the lyrics from the try outs. And Zel should be a singer after all this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom