• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What the point of this line?
That in terms of IP whoring, at least Rebellion makes an effort.

There's no reason for any sequels to exist, really, other than to part fans with their money. I don't think Shaft/Aniplex/whatever should get singled out for doing it when Disney is launching hundreds of comic book movies and TV shows. But at least they should get credit for prostituting themselves with class.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That even if Rebellion is a cash-grab attempt, it's probably one of the better cash grabs in existence, because it maintains the core themes from the original work, while also building upon them in an interesting way.

Certainly better than, for example, splitting Hobbit into three movies and giving Legolas a love interest because ????.

Sterok

Hello Animegaf. Time to make my appearance here along with my excellent and perfect observations that should always be taken as truth. Unless they are wrong. Which would only happen on purpose. With that in mind, I shall start with an ending Happiness Charge Precure.

I liked HaCha. I liked it a lot. It started off with a nice premise of fighting going on in the entire world. More importantly, it seemingly bucked a major trend and made blue the main character instead of pink. The first half had some stumbles, but it was solid overall. The middle was actually the best part, where all the characters had clicked, but still enough room for crazy ideas. There were weaknesses, but this had the potential to be the best Pretty Cure yet.

Ah how naive I was. Unlike DokiDoki, which I knew was going to have a lousy finale, or Smile, which had a lousy finale appear out of nowhere, this finale creeped up slowly, but surely in how it was going to be bad. The pseudo-finale against Mirage looked like it was going to get the pink worship out of the way so that Hime could have her true chance to shine. But nope. Megumi almost went evil, but that path was avoided for a much more boring evil Seiji route. The entire ending ended up as a three-part Lovely-wank with a bit of Lovely-angst in between. Most of the set-up with Hime and the International Cures went to waste, and Megumi somehow hogged the spotlight worse than Mana did in her finale. At least Mana had the good grace to let the others in on the finisher. Plus Megumi just kept babbling on about love (in a show about friendship and happiness) without answering most of the issues Red brought up. Pink bias brings down yet another show. Which sucks since I liked Megumi when she wasn't the only worthwhile thing in the world.

In summary, finale ruined something that once had great promise. Yes 5 and Heartcatch remain the pinnacle of Precure, though Happiness Charge overall was still stronger than Max Heart, Suite, and DokiDoki. Still, three bad season finales in a row is a terrible trend. Hopefully Go Princess can shake things up without succumbing to pink worship.
It won't.

Slayers NEXT Sing a long

Not a period magic episode, but something that makes Lina look embarrassed. And lewd dresses.

A shame the full song wasn't dubbed, but at least we know the lyrics from the try outs. And Zel should be a singer after all this shit.

I loved this episode. Lina And Amelia looked so pretty in their outfits <3

The first two episodes are pretty and entertaining, then the third takes a dive and it's new focus around a bunch of super dull characters left me pretty pessimistic about where it's going.

I didn't find the first episode all the entertaining, although I did like the colors. From what you said though, that's discouraging me from even watching another episode.

Appreciate it though, tons of other stuff for me to watch anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That even if Rebellion is a cash-grab attempt, it's probably one of the better cash grabs in existence, because it maintains the core themes from the original work, while also building upon them in an interesting way.

Certainly better than, for example, splitting Hobbit into three movies and giving Legolas a love interest because ????.
Oh god, I can't imagine what The Hobbit would have been like if you cared about that franchise.

The funny part is that the last movie has scenes that make the CG in TV anime look great.

In summary, finale ruined something that once had great promise. Yes 5 and Heartcatch remain the pinnacle of Precure, though Happiness Charge overall was still stronger than Max Heart, Suite, and DokiDoki. Still, three bad season finales in a row is a terrible trend. Hopefully Go Princess can shake things up without succumbing to pink worship.
It won't.
Now I'm curious to see what the old members of PreCure GAF thought of the ending, since they were hot on the series when they used to post here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
im afraid of what narag has become
He is slowly becoming Ebichu:
izwgTjK.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxevCBtcMU

I'm willing to bet that Rebellion is a better film than any of the Star Wars sequels that will come out in the next few years, for example.

This is the lowest possible hurdle to clear, though. I feel like every single post in this thread is better than any of the Star Wars sequels will be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is the lowest possible hurdle to clear, though. I feel like every single post in this thread is better than any of the Star Wars sequels will be.
I can't believe I live in an age where they will try to make a Star Wars film a year. It'll be a disaster, but people will eat that shit up regardless.

It can't be worse then Attack of the Clones right

The prequels, for all their many flaws as films (clunky dialogue, completely uninspired direction, over reliance on green screen, etc) were at least trying to do something new with the franchise (not always successfully) and had a clear vision for the story (Lucas's strength as an ideas guy and weakness as an actual writer/director are both on display in the prequels). I'm not expecting anything from the new films aside from a soulless attempt at making Star Wars exactly like it was when Abrams/whoever else comes on after him were kids.

The prequels, for all their many flaws as films (clunky dialogue, completely uninspired direction, over reliance on green screen, etc) were at least trying to do something new with the franchise (not always successfully) and had a clear vision for the story (Lucas's strength as an ideas guy and weakness as an actual writer/director are both on display in the prequels). I'm not expecting anything from the new films aside from a soulless attempt at making Star Wars exactly like it was when Abrams/whoever else comes on after him were kids.

Well... I still have more hope for Star Wars VII then Blade Runner 2

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speaking of, will there be a reboot/adaptation of a 90s/80s property better than Madoka Rebellion in the context of its predecessor?

Likely not!

I can't believe I live in an age where they will try to make a Star Wars film a year. It'll be a disaster, but people will eat that shit up regardless.

It's the same reason why Marvel makes a million films and games have resorted to microtransactions - by having a bunch of smaller/medium-sized events as opposed to one big event, you can get people to part with their money more often and so end up with a bigger profit in the end.

Sterok

Ah Madoka Rebellion. I was super anxious when that came out. Loved the show and was hyped for a shitty cam-rip. And I think it delivered. The main plot kept the characters in tact, the action was exciting, and it had a Madoka feel to it while being decently new. Then the twist happened, and even though I had been slightly spoilered for it, it was one of the few things to completely shock me and leave me stone cold. I was confused for awhile and not sure where I stood on everything (and I still haven't sided with any characters in particular), but overtime I've come to look back on it more fondly. It was bold and executed well. The main criticism is the twist, but that sort of makes sense even from the show, in a twisted unintentional sort of way.

Great movie. I'm hoping for a follow up (very clever of them), though some people like it as a finale to the franchise. I'm sure we'll get more Madoka eventually. That sells.

survivor

Banned
Oh god, I can't imagine what The Hobbit would have been like if you cared about that franchise.

The funny part is that the last movie has scenes that make the CG in TV anime look great.
fuck youuuuu peter jackson you hack

all that money and time wasted to catch the only theater showing 48fps that is 1 hour away by bus only to end up greeted with a final movie filled with so so many dull battles

Hello Animegaf. Time to make my appearance here along with my excellent and perfect observations that should always be taken as truth. Unless they are wrong. Which would only happen on purpose. With that in mind, I shall start with an ending Happiness Charge Precure.

I liked HaCha. I liked it a lot. It started off with a nice premise of fighting going on in the entire world. More importantly, it seemingly bucked a major trend and made blue the main character instead of pink. The first half had some stumbles, but it was solid overall. The middle was actually the best part, where all the characters had clicked, but still enough room for crazy ideas. There were weaknesses, but this had the potential to be the best Pretty Cure yet.

Ah how naive I was. Unlike DokiDoki, which I knew was going to have a lousy finale, or Smile, which had a lousy finale appear out of nowhere, this finale creeped up slowly, but surely in how it was going to be bad. The pseudo-finale against Mirage looked like it was going to get the pink worship out of the way so that Hime could have her true chance to shine. But nope. Megumi almost went evil, but that path was avoided for a much more boring evil Seiji route. The entire ending ended up as a three-part Lovely-wank with a bit of Lovely-angst in between. Most of the set-up with Hime and the International Cures went to waste, and Megumi somehow hogged the spotlight worse than Mana did in her finale. At least Mana had the good grace to let the others in on the finisher. Plus Megumi just kept babbling on about love (in a show about friendship and happiness) without answering most of the issues Red brought up. Pink bias brings down yet another show. Which sucks since I liked Megumi when she wasn't the only worthwhile thing in the world.

It won't.

At least your spoiler tag is right on. While I didn't consider the pink wank in Smile's ending, Doki's ending basically told me that Precure endings are permanently going to shit, and this was telegraphed as far back as GoGo's movie, the movie that added terrible things to be featured later on.

Quite frankly, I have zero hope in Precure endings ever being good again, and I don't see the reason to change that mindset anytime soon.

I loved this episode. Lina And Amelia looked so pretty in their outfits <3

I didn't find the first episode all the entertaining, although I did like the colors. From what you said though, that's discouraging me from even watching another episode.

Appreciate it though, tons of other stuff for me to watch anyway.

And we will never see those outfits again on them... I think.

Now I'm curious to see what the old members of PreCure GAF thought of the ending, since they were hot on the series when they used to post here.

Sadly I forgot madp's comments on this.

But there was a lukewarm shitstorm, which perfectly capitalizes on the general mediocrity of Precure. And I say this as I look forward to see Go! Princess Precure as my premiere guilty pleasure garbage anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
fuck youuuuu peter jackson you hack

all that money and time wasted to catch the only theater showing 48fps that is 1 hour away by bus only to end up greeted with a final movie filled with so so many dull battles
Wow, remember when 48fps was a thing?

Sadly I forgot madp's comments on this.

But there was a lukewarm shitstorm, which perfectly capitalizes on the general mediocrity of Precure. And I say this as I look forward to see Go! Princess Precure as my premiere guilty pleasure garbage anime.
That's too bad... although I assume you guys are still watching the new Precure anyway?

It's the same reason why Marvel makes a million films and games have resorted to microtransactions - by having a bunch of smaller/medium-sized events as opposed to one big event, you can get people to part with their money more often and so end up with a bigger profit in the end.
Well, with Marvel, they seem to expect every movie to be big. My question is, who the fuck gives a shit about Ant Man and Ms Marvel? lol

Speaking of, will there be a reboot/adaptation of a 90s/80s property better than Madoka Rebellion in the context of its predecessor?

Likely not!
There's still that Independence Day remake/reboot/whatever that is apparently happening. That'll be
dumb

I think I have to watch Ebichu now.
It's really one of the secret best anime that few people have heard of. I only came across it because I was reading the Evangelion wiki and the only reason they even made the anime is because one of the voice actresses for Eva was reading the manga during one of the VO sessions.

Sterok

At least your spoiler tag is right on. While I didn't consider the pink wank in Smile's ending, Doki's ending basically told me that Precure endings are permanently going to shit, and this was telegraphed as far back as GoGo's movie, the movie that added terrible things to be featured later on.

Smile's finale didn't have pink wank, mostly because Miyuki sucked too much be be wanked. The problems were rushing through the good stuff (Bad End Cures), tonal issues (DokiDoki had a finale with more comedy than Smile did), and the crying festival. Seriously, Suite managed to have a decent finale (and a terrible movie), and that show isn't known for its quality writing. Why can't they at least live up to Yes 5's finale, which was a bit simple, but not insulting. I'm not demanding too high a standard (Splash Star/Heartcatch finales), so this should be doable.

As much as I like Yes 5 and Nozomi, the GoGo movie was shit. Thankfully most of the movies are better than that one.

Yuri Kuma 4

Stuff that kind of makes sense is happening. Bears had a kingdom before the meteor stuff. I'd question that, but the effort would be wasted. Maybe the show will start turning comprehensible now.

Wow, remember when 48fps was a thing?

That's too bad... although I assume you guys are still watching the new Precure anyway?

That much I am aware of. I'm gearing up for Saturday at least. And there's elements of GoPri that is appealing as well.

Smile's finale didn't have pink wank, mostly because Miyuki sucked too much be be wanked. The problems were rushing through the good stuff (Bad End Cures), tonal issues (DokiDoki had a finale with more comedy than Smile did), and the crying festival. Seriously, Suite managed to have a decent finale (and a terrible movie), and that show isn't known for its quality writing. Why can't they at least live up to Yes 5's finale, which was a bit simple, but not insulting. I'm not demanding too high a standard (Splash Star/Heartcatch finales), so this should be doable.

As much as I like Yes 5 and Nozomi, the GoGo movie was shit. Thankfully most of the movies are better than that one.

Don't forget Smile's ending was pretty much recycled from a Precure movie as well. Also
you forgot the Giant Happy at the end, where despite the fact that they fused like in HC's ending, Giant Happy predominantly had Happy's features.

Again, Toei is way too safe with Precure to the point that it even shows with their character designs. As such, other shows meant for kids will make you think "how do they get away with this shit", until you realize Precure isn't actually the norm.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 13

Well, this is the first anime I've seen where a beach/pool/boat/mountain/desert/storm/moon episode turned into a cooking episode.

fertygo

People expect Star Wars VII to be bad? its will be competent, and the franchise has always about flash and shiny thing anyway.

Like Gundam, the story will always be shit but people that replacing Tomino had more knowledge about cinematography so you can always expecting shiny robot fight.

Many call it padding to sell three sub par movies, I call it artistic licence. The Hobbit may have been a major contributing work to define the genre we now know as Fantasy or High Fantasy but that doesn't excuse the fact that the story in it of itself is no deeper or richer than a throwaway fetch quest found in MMOs such as World of Warcraft. Peter Jackson added a much needed rival or villain to the hobbit story that was sorely needed. The expansion of the elves and Sauron were welcome additions that enhance the lore of the world and the events that led up to The Lord of the Rings. On the subject of the elven love interest the Hobbit and LOTR are notorious as being male dominated. Peter Jackson needed some hook to attract a female audience and what better way than having a story of forbidden love between two beautiful people.

What exactly was so bad about Into Darkness? It continues the themes of JJ Abrams previous Trek film and enhance the franchise as a whole. Not only does it redefine old and tired characters by giving them more character
with the excuse of alternate timelines
but also pays tribute to the original works in intelligent ways.
Kirk trapped in the reactor was a stroke of genius!
I personally can't wait to see what Abrams does with the new Star Wars films! No doubt he'll inject some of his stylistic flair that only a fan of the original trilogy can appreciate.

People expect Star Wars VII to be bad? its will be competent, and the franchise has always about flash and shiny thing anyway.

Like Gundam, the story will always be shit but people that replacing Tomino had more knowledge about cinematography so you can always expecting shiny robot fight.

It won't be worst than any of the prequels. JJ Abrams basically made Star Wars films out of the Star Trek ones anyways.

Many call it padding to sell three sub par movies, I call it artistic licence. The Hobbit may have been a major contributing work to define the genre we now know as Fantasy or High Fantasy but that doesn't excuse the fact that the story in it of itself is no deeper or richer than a throwaway fetch quest found in MMOs such as World of Warcraft. Peter Jackson added a much needed rival or villain to the hobbit story that was sorely needed. The expansion of the elves and Sauron were welcome additions that enhance the lore of the world and the events that led up to The Lord of the Rings. On the subject of the elven love interest the Hobbit and LOTR are notorious as being male dominated. Peter Jackson needed some hook to attract a female audience and what better way than having a story of forbidden love between two beautiful people.

What exactly was so bad about Into Darkness? It continues the themes of JJ Abrams previous Trek film and enhance the franchise as a whole. Not only does it redefine old and tired characters by giving them more character
with the excuse of alternate timelines
but also pays tribute to the original works in intelligent ways.
Kirk trapped in the reactor was a stroke of genius!
I personally can't wait to see what Abrams does with the new Star Wars films! No doubt he'll inject some of his stylistic flair that only a fan of the original trilogy can appreciate.
Well done. I believed you until that last paragraph.

Link Man

Banned
Nanoha A's 4

Wait, how did she get to her wheelchair without disturbing Vita?

Have I ever mentioned how much Soji from "Gonna be the Twintail" would love this show?

Japanese students sure do love their blondes, don't they?

Wait, does Japan actually import its orange juice from Florida? Seems pricey.

Book of Darkness has 666 pages. lol

Ha, Chrono turning into a big brother.

It is interesting how the antagonists do seem to be good people, just with bad methods.

And Fate echoes that sentiment right after I type it, ha.

I am so glad that they're exploring Fate's character so much more, and relating it to the current arc.

Oh hey, new transformation sequence! Now with double the lewd!
And they're still...third-graders. :\

And my speculation last episode was right on.

duckroll

No, that's not the reason why Marvel makes a million films. They do it out of the love in their hearts because they are the greatest entertainers in the business!! You can't convince me otherwise!!!! :)

Jarmel

Banned
Absolute Duo- 2-4
Bad-Teacher.jpg

This is without a doubt one of the worst schooling systems I have ever seen in any medium. "Let's rehire your psychopath teacher because she fucked up trying to kill you".

Oh and we getting a taste of world culture now. When is France showing up?

Absolute Duo- 2-4
Bad-Teacher.jpg

This is without a doubt one of the worst schooling systems I have ever seen in any medium. "Let's rehire your psychopath teacher because she fucked up trying to kill you".

Oh and we getting a taste of world culture now. When is France showing up?

I don't get disturbed by many shows, but the girl who keeps saying "ja" at everything did it for me. It's like the culmination of everything I hate in one character.

Shugo Chara 80-84

Nikaidou sure is a teacher. And understandably, Tadase and Amu's relationship isn't quite as lovey-dovey as before the PEAK OF SHOUJO DRAMA, but at the same time, shows us that we're at a standstill for Rima. Partly because we never see what goes on with her douchebag parents anymore.

Come to think of it, there hasn't been enough perverted Amu moments. Instead we had Garterbelts... I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting that... and I rather not study up on fashion trends.

I thought Platinum Heart was going to be some weird fusion

With Kiseki and Yoru working together, it's like we'll be back to normal... aka before the starting point of the show

Articalys

So I managed to whittle things down to ten shows for the season, to make sure I'm actually enjoying what I'm watching on a weekly basis.

Yuri Kuma Arashi -- I was worried after the first three episodes that it was getting stuck in a formula, but then this week came along and gave it a well-needed boost. Much more interested in it now.
Kancolle -- More or less what I expected from something aimed at fans of the game, though last week certainly was a bit of a surprise. Wonder what their endgame is going to be.
Shirobako -- Still powering forward, still surprisingly informative, and still great. One of the top things I'm looking forward to every week.
Saekano -- Yoshitsugu Matsouka does a lot better in these sort of comedy roles. Enjoying the show quite a bit so far. Laughed at the shoutouts in Aki's room to not only other Aniplex/A-1 series, but also Fujimi Fantasia Bunko LNs.
Koufuku Graffiti -- Mandatory schoolgirl slice-of-life show for the season, and it's a good one. Shaft style in moderate effect. Certainly the comfiest show on my watchlist.
Im@s Cinderella Girls -- Holding up okay so far. Quality is a bit spotty here and there but the performances look good. Mostly just glad to have the Im@s world back. Dunno yet if I want a 765 in-person cameo or not.
Jojo in Egypt -- More of the same. I read the manga long ago so for me it's just a matter of waiting to see all the fun parts get animated.
Death Parade -- Fantastic through and through, love everything about it. Episode 3 was stellar. Can't wait to see more of the cast. Easily has the best OP of the season too.
Aldnoah Zero S2 -- To be completely honest, it's so ridiculously stupid now that it's become immensely entertaining to watch. It helps that I'm still one of the people that likes Sawano's music.
Maria the Virgin Witch -- Nice to have something that takes place in a more unique historical setting. The show's been pretty enjoyable too, with a fair mix of comedy and story.

It's all worked out well so far.

The mechs in Cross Ange are the best designs I've seen in any anime...

Really? They're better then a lot of current stuff
*cough*Valvrave*cough*
but still a bit too sharp for my tastes.
The Vilkiss has a figurehead and that's great though

Edit: Y'know what I changed my mind they're pretty good.

Syrinx

Space Dandy 22

A universe is born from super powerful wiggling of the ass. I like to think it was all our ass wiggling that gave rise to such glory.

Haikyuu 1-8

This has to be the best anime adaptation of a Shounen Jump manga of the past several years, perhaps since Gintama. Really enjoying the consistently solid production, good animation, interesting imagery, and the focus on team dynamics. How it handles the latter and the demands of the ensemble cast really make it stand out - at first I thought this would be strongly focused around Hinata and Kageyama, but it's done a good job at fleshing out the other team members into their own entities as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom