• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can kind of understand where you're all coming from, if you've had to suffer through whatever ugly mess Season 3 of Milky Holmes truly was, TD might well look better in comparison but it is still garbage. Just unimaginably bland and boring.

The problem with TD is, well, everything. While it wears the rotting corpse of the Milky Holmes characters it fails to contain any of the aspects that made the first two seasons enjoyable. I honestly don't think you can even call this show Milky Holmes because it bears essentially zero resemblance to the first two seasons. Things that are different include:

- Cast Dynamics: The interaction between the core cast isn't as insane and entertaining as it was, and heaps of really important villains and police with well established character traits have been removed. It was these interactions that served to underpin the comedy of the series.

- Production: Milky Holmes is an outrageously gorgeous series with excellent colour design, background art and lively character designs. It's a series bursting with life and great character animation. TD is bland, flat and cold. It has no life or charm.

- Direction and pace: The original series has extremely energetic pacing with characters rolling from situation to situation at a brisk pace. It also featured extremely dynamic and impressive cinematography. TD looks like it was directed by George Lucas.

It shares none of the qualities that made those original shows great. It's just completely forgettable.

I won't disagree that it's a major step down from season 1 and 2 nor will I deny that it's pretty poor in general, but I won't take it to the same extreme as you for a few reasons. As said, the flat out awfulness of Futari wa is part of that. You complain about the group dynamic being broken in TD, but in Futari wa, they barely even had a role. There wasn't a hint of wackiness worthy of the four failures and their adversaries. No, it was literally a "cute magical girls doing cute magical girl detective things" show. Both leads had all the personality of a wet brick and the conflicts/drama were right out of a poorly-made mahou shoujo.

With TD, I will say I can actually see a glimpse of the dynamic that made me enjoy the first 2 seasons in the first place. Sherlock's stupidity is still present, which was really my favorite character trait among the 4 even if the rest are far more subdued than they had been. Hell, the OP alone with Sherlock's manly tear face makes up for the travesty of the show's predecessor.

Also, TD has the added advantage of treating the leads of Futari wa like irellevant mooks, as if the team knew full well nobody liked it. So yeah, there's that.

But yeah, I won't defend TD much beyond "it's better than Futari wa". I'll begrudgingly continue to watch it because I am finding some amusement out of it, even if it doesn't come close to touching the first 2 seasons.

Shin Mazinger Z - 7

Oh man, now I'm watching two shows that have a girl shooting electricity!

This show's been pretty consistent with its pacing. Every episode (aside from the first one) has led immediately into the next one. I like it, though I can't help but wonder when a general status quo is going to be set up for this show, but that's just me.

/XX/

kannagi and Studio A-1 influenced the design of K-on by KyoAni.
Sorry, but I don't think that example works in the way you are making it out to be (and I'm aware this topic has been talked before on these threads), because core staff from Kannagi came precisely from Kyoto Animation after Yamakan's 'fiasco' and leave from his former studio. Add to it the nascent structure for-hire of A-1 Pictures at the time, done on a project-by-project contract basis without much dedicated production workforce of their own, and you can expect much more than simple influence from another studio on that specific work.

Jarmel

Banned
Sorry, but I don't think that example works in the way you are making it out to be (and I'm aware this topic has been talked before on these threads), because core staff from Kannagi came precisely from Kyoto Animation after Yamakan's 'fiasco' and leave from his former studio. Add to it the nascent structure for-hire of A-1 Pictures at the time, done on a contract basis without much dedicated production workforce of their own, and you can expect much more than simple influence from another studio on that single work.

Pretty sure that was a joke.

Narag

Shin Mazinger Z - 7

Oh man, now I'm watching two shows that have a girl shooting electricity!

This show's been pretty consistent with its pacing. Every episode (aside from the first one) has led immediately into the next one. I like it, though I can't help but wonder when a general status quo is going to be set up for this show, but that's just me.

IIRC it's continuous until around 10sh or so then you start having some individual arcs like the Lorelei stuff, ~chu.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry, but I don't think that example works in the way you are making it out to be (and I'm aware this topic has been talked before on these threads), because core staff from Kannagi came precisely from Kyoto Animation after Yamakan's 'fiasco' and leave from his former studio. Add to it the nascent structure for-hire of A-1 Pictures at the time, done on a project-by-project contract basis without much dedicated production workforce of their own, and you can expect much more than simple influence from another studio on that specific work.

The problem with that is Kannagi came first.
This style wasnt in use at KyoAni yet when Kannagi came out.

Midonin

Azumanga Daioh 24-26 + Final Thoughts

Sakaki finally wins out in the end! Closing out just after graduation was a good place to end things, and Wakamoto's English skills are beyond legendary. The show was cute, funny, and a lot of its jokes still hold up today. Maybe the one with Osaka comparing Chiyo's dad to a prime minister doesn't, but wordplay and goofy character interactions are universal. I can actually see a lot of what makes Nichijou its truest successor, but shows like Pani Poni Dash and Hidamari Sketch also inherit not just its humor, but also its more serious moments. Stuff like going to college and Sakaki's cat worries, even if interspersed with jokes, were treated with respect by the material.

I still don't see why Lucky Star and K-ON! and everything that came after them had to become punching bags. The level of cuteness:humor may have been different, or perhaps it was a different type of humor, but the DNA they share is pretty similar, even if they take it in very different directions. For example, some of Cocoa's wild imagination moments in GochiUsa are comparable to Osaka's, and the reaction Chiyo gets still echoes in how Alice was treated in Kinmoza, while Yuyushiki captures the offbeat humor. Its DNA spread in all sorts of different directions.

Yet even when something like Yuyushiki is well liked, it's never respected on the same level as Azumanga is. And that's sad. People can name more than one good mecha show, more than one good action show, more than one good magical girl show even, but when it comes to the daily life genre, Azumanga stands alone... and that's bad. It needs friends, other contemporaries. The anime macrofandom needs to not say "the best since Azumanga", but "the best alongside Azumanga."

Because putting it on a pedestal actually downplays just how much influence it had. I liked what I saw, and I feel like I'm up to date on an important part of anime history (as well as the source of several fandom memes). It's a really good, cute show. One of many, each tackling the material in a new and interesting way.

Do Sakaki's legacy proud. I also love the OP and ED, the former for its nonsensical lyrics and the former for its weirdly ephemeral imagery. Knowing it was aired over the course of a week as five shorts also reveals just how far anime scheduling has come. Shorts still exist, and have always existed, but now half-hour TV shows are more numerous than ever.

I wish I were a bird.

As much as I like tackling well-known anime for my backlog, I like tackling obscurities and curios even more. Which is why I'm watching Code-E and Mission-E next.

Jarmel

Banned
So I was watching ISUCA and something about the characters kept reminding me about the character designs from the Mezzo series. I did a little digging and found that the while the Character designs were attributed to two different people, the studio involved was ARMS. That got me wondering (since I don't know two much about the anime production process)...

Can a studio influence the designs of character in such a manner that the influence becomes visible in unrelated series with completely different staffs?

Oh and in response to this question, not really. Character designs are usually pretty distinctive. Maybe something like Asuka influencing red hair tsunderes or Mami with blonde magical girl gets killed off first, but not much more than that. Well unless you want to cheat and go with Kokoro Connect and say Horiguchi technically didn't do the anime character designs or some other nonsense.

The problem with that is Kannagi came first.
This style wasnt in use at KyoAni yet when Kannagi came out.

Oh so you were serious. Kannagi's designs are very much in line with Haruhi, in fact I remember people calling it a ripoff back in the day.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 24

uhh.. so humanity is called Lilim and we're the false successors while angels are the true ones? But those talking Seele stone tablets (who created/supports NERV?) seems to have sent the angels (or at least this last boy one?) and wants Shinji's Eva (Yui?) to accomplish its task.. but this angel doesn't seem to give a shit if it lives or dies.. and they don't want Dad of the year to open pandoras box yet they still.. what

I'm a bit confused

CDiggity

uhh.. so humanity is called Lilim and we're the false successors while angels are the true ones? But those talking Seele stone tablets (who created/supports NERV?) seems to have sent the angels (or at least this last boy one?) and wants Shinji's Eva (Yui?) to accomplish its task.. but this angel doesn't seem to give a shit if it lives or dies.. and they don't want Dad of the year to open pandoras box yet they still.. what

I'm a bit confused

Such is Anno's Wild Ride.

cajunator

Banned
Azumanga Daioh 24-26 + Final Thoughts

Sakaki finally wins out in the end! Closing out just after graduation was a good place to end things, and Wakamoto's English skills are beyond legendary. The show was cute, funny, and a lot of its jokes still hold up today. Maybe the one with Osaka comparing Chiyo's dad to a prime minister doesn't, but wordplay and goofy character interactions are universal. I can actually see a lot of what makes Nichijou its truest successor, but shows like Pani Poni Dash and Hidamari Sketch also inherit not just its humor, but also its more serious moments. Stuff like going to college and Sakaki's cat worries, even if interspersed with jokes, were treated with respect by the material.

I still don't see why Lucky Star and K-ON! and everything that came after them had to become punching bags. The level of cuteness:humor may have been different, or perhaps it was a different type of humor, but the DNA they share is pretty similar, even if they take it in very different directions. For example, some of Cocoa's wild imagination moments in GochiUsa are comparable to Osaka's, and the reaction Chiyo gets still echoes in how Alice was treated in Kinmoza, while Yuyushiki captures the offbeat humor. Its DNA spread in all sorts of different directions.

Yet even when something like Yuyushiki is well liked, it's never respected on the same level as Azumanga is. And that's sad. People can name more than one good mecha show, more than one good action show, more than one good magical girl show even, but when it comes to the daily life genre, Azumanga stands alone... and that's bad. It needs friends, other contemporaries. The anime macrofandom needs to not say "the best since Azumanga", but "the best alongside Azumanga."

Because putting it on a pedestal actually downplays just how much influence it had. I liked what I saw, and I feel like I'm up to date on an important part of anime history (as well as the source of several fandom memes). It's a really good, cute show. One of many, each tackling the material in a new and interesting way.

Do Sakaki's legacy proud. I also love the OP and ED, the former for its nonsensical lyrics and the former for its weirdly ephemeral imagery. Knowing it was aired over the course of a week as five shorts also reveals just how far anime scheduling has come. Shorts still exist, and have always existed, but now half-hour TV shows are more numerous than ever.

I wish I were a bird.

As much as I like tackling well-known anime for my backlog, I like tackling obscurities and curios even more. Which is why I'm watching Code-E and Mission-E next.

I just want to say that I completely agree. There is enough good slice of life stuff that it should be respected alongside Azudai and it not being ghe only standout example.

Sölf

I'm a bit confused

Good. Now go and watch the movie!

Is Precure the only thing Toei actually puts budget into?
It's not like they need to put money on sailor moon or something that sh*t would sell regardless ...

I'm a bit confused
You're lost .. don't panic ..this is normal. Please continue your viewing .

I Repeat : this is normal.

Durarara x2 04

I feel as if I should wait for each arc to finish before watching because of all these interweaving perspectives and plot threads.

Jarmel

Banned
So yesterday I posted a somewhat glib response to my viewing experience in regards to Saekano and for whatever reason I feel like I should articulate on why I think it's somewhat a bad show, even if it does have some good elements (rather this should be singular) to it.

The first is the meta component. I'm not against it by nature, there are tons of shows such as Monogatari and Shirobako in which I love them because of the meta component. The problem here in comparison to say Monogatari is that of twofolds. The first is that the show relies too heavily on pointing on cliches and tropes and yet plays them straight at the same time. Just because you point out a trope doesn't excuse you from falling in the same trap. There have been multiple cases in videogames where the exact same shit happens. Uncharted has done this multiple times and it stinks to high heaven in there too. Monogatari might point something out but it atleast has fun with the concept or writing, either through a satirical method or through subverting it. That's partly due to how strong and confident Nisio is as a writer and you can see that in his other works such as Medaka Box. Don't point this stuff out in the first place if you're still going to do it. This leads into the other problem is that the only really 'flavor' to the work is the meta aspect. It feels like the work is trying to compensate for the lack of interesting narrative or characters. The characters are shallow? Don't worry about that, we'll point out how they understand their own positions and dilemmas. There's nothing to any of the characters other than tropes.

The 2nd problem I have with the show is the format in that there is no real reason for the girls to follow this loser. It seems like the writer is falling back on the generic 'childhood promise' in order to justify these females having any interest in the lead. After having watched Oregairu, this is painfully apparent self insertion garbage. Why should I feel like the lead is a cool or interesting character? He slacks off, isn't charming, or seemingly smart. Hell he's not even that creative. Oh wait I know why! It's because he's an otaku.
iZFe12zuTyj3f.jpg
The other problems I have are things like the direction. What does stupid stuff like changing the color do? How does that help the narrative or my understanding of the characters? If this is supposed to signify her being angry, this is the laziest direction I've ever seen. Compare that to say a master at work, Hitchcock, in Vertigo with the color red. There's also stuff like cheap background art that is of an exceptionally low caliber. The production values are bad all around and the music isn't any awards.
i8eEEdxKBI5pH.jpg

Look at this! It's some low res textures, I can't even read the titles.
The only real highlight is the 'boring' main heroine, mainly due to how deadpan she is while also being somewhat sarcastic.

tldr;
asdsoauxq.gif

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 25

Was this some kind of hearing? Are they all dead and now they have to be judged and confess their flaws? I guess what they all had in common was ways of fear of being alone.
Dad of the year says they're returning to their mother who has been lost to this world, what the fuck is that all about. And the world is going to end? Did Shinji take some pills and all of this is just his dreams? I swear if Misato is dead I'm going to flip a table

Tuck

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 25

Was this some kind of hearing? Are they all dead and now they have to be judged and confess their flaws? I guess what they all had in common was ways of fear of being alone.
Dad of the year says they're returning to their mother who has been lost to this world, what the fuck is that all about. And the world is going to end? Did Shinji take some pills and all of this is just his dreams? I swear if Misato is dead I'm going to flip a table
End of Evangelion.

Its just about as bat shit crazy but it provides an actual ending to the series.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Space Dandy vs Ping Pong is more intense than Peco vs Smile
Kazama is Nozaki Kun
Wenge is Shirobako

<dresden> wow
<dresden> just realized
<dresden> i never voted
<dresden> ping pong will be beaten by klk by one point
<dresden> and it'll be all my fault

cajunator

Banned
Oh and in response to this question, not really. Character designs are usually pretty distinctive. Maybe something like Asuka influencing red hair tsunderes or Mami with blonde magical girl gets killed off first, but not much more than that. Well unless you want to cheat and go with Kokoro Connect and say Horiguchi technically didn't do the anime character designs or some other nonsense.

Oh so you were serious. Kannagi's designs are very much in line with Haruhi, in fact I remember people calling it a ripoff back in the day.

Kannagi looks nothing like Haruhi..

Midonin

Haruka Yoshimura isn't a very well known name, but she's someone to keep an eye on. In this season alone, she's playing:

Yui in Go! Princess Precure
Ema in Shirobako
Mika in Cinderella Girls

That's a nice range of character types.

She was also Kouko in Akuma no Riddle and Koharu in Celestial Method.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is it time for wanton backroom corruption and result-rigging yet?

Let's remove all of the Madoka Rebellion votes citing the "Homura did nothing wrong" meme, just because.

cajunator

Banned
Haruhi was still KyoAni's VN style character design. Still "uguu" with the faces and straighter lines instead of the "doughy" feel of Kannagi and K-On.
The only similarity is perhaps the eye design but thats honestly such a generic thing it shouldnt even count.

Ace of Diamond Episode 67

Why would you bunt when Raichi is right there?! The last thing you want is for Raichi to get the ball.

Raichi is pretty hilarious though, the part when he said change gears after the coach or Miss-shima was lol. Love hearing his laugh constantly too.

Good game thus far.Crowd commentary speaking of the players on a personal level gives a good feeling too.

Does Serena still have a huge crush on Ash? lol.

The next episode is literally called "Ash and Serena's First Date! The Vow Tree and the Present!!"

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 17

This show has a video game company named Weed. If that company was real, I can just imagine the GAF conversations about it.

That being said, I liked this episode. Tessou was pretty fun to watch.

Jarmel

Banned
Haruhi was still KyoAni's VN style character design. Still "uguu" with the faces and straighter lines instead of the "doughy" feel of Kannagi and K-On.
The only similarity is perhaps the eye design but thats honestly such a generic thing it shouldnt even count.

It's definitely softer than Haruhi however Kannagi uses a lot of straight lines as well.

The other thing is the time table. Kannagi aired in October 07 while K-On aired in April. Knowing Kyo-Ani's production schedule back then, they probably started work long before Kannagi aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom