• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
some people were so afraid of ship girls they left figuregaf and created another figure thread lol.
This community is so silly.
Why does anime scare people so much? I really dont get it.

Narag

Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49 1-13 FIN

k9Z4KYJl.png
Q9dglk9l.png

pHAWtKfl.png
vpV6oK1l.png

This was really a nice surprise and a stark reminder not to judge a book by its cover going by the glib comments I made about it in a previous thread. Rather than some shallow show about a young male idol group, I was treated to something with a lot of depth. Characters are developed well past the point of dismissing them as archetypes as each member of the group has their motivations for being an idol explored fully whether it be simply continuing a performance career, chasing a childhood hero, or simply looking for a place to fit in. Personalities often clash and there's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears put into simply making enough of a name for themselves that they can actually hold their first concert.

Various themes are present throughout the story but none moreso than the generational theme where the new members of the group strive to live up to the name of the previous iteration of Shounen Hollywood. Often we're given glimpses into the lives of the original members as well, each with varying levels of success in their post-idol lives,. Even if happy in their new lives. as most of the original members are, each looks back fondly at the new generation and expresses a degree of pride in being able to support them. I wish I could articulate things better past saying the show's writing feels as if it has a literary quality to it, well above normal anime writing. I know it's not quite fashionable to compare one show to another lately but the last time I was surprised by writing in this manner was The Eccentric Family. Not that I mean to draw a parallel between the shows as they couldn't be more different but there's this sense of refinement to it all each shares.

There were two big pluses with this show for me. I often lament how anime can't just tell a story that happens for simple normal reasons, often having some sort of extra fantastic quality to it like a supernatural element or some sci-fi element. In the half of Hyouka I'd watched, I'd applauded how grounded that was comparatively to other shows Shounen Hollywood takes that even further and provides something so grounded, I'm surprised it was even made into anime and not just something live-action. It's so delightfully free of animeisms that I could probably count the number of silly faces on both hands. Characters have simple wants and desires that come together to drive the slightly more complex narrative without ever having to rely upon some sort of contrivance to move things along. There's a natural flow to the story that matches how natural the characters are themselves. I'll admit the idol concept might put some off from it all but the lessons about teamwork and chasing your dreams remain universally appreciable.

The second thing I really (and I mean REALLY) liked were the two format busting episodes the show featured that interrupted the usual episode 1-## story progression. There's an episode or two that builds up to the play and one would think the episode featuring the play would involve some sort of backstage drama or perhaps only have so many minutes of the play itself. Instead we're given an episode that's the actual play from start to finish. Rather than the viewer watching Shounen Hollywood the show, the viewer is placed into the role of the play's audience to watch Shounen Hollywood the idol group perform. Anything that happened backstage or leading up to the play is placed exclusively in the episode's ED allowing for the full performance to take place. This is repeated later when Shounen Hollywood is featured on a musical variety show. We know nothing of the lead in to it past a glimpse at a script in the previous episode and the show plays out like we're watching an episode of the in-universe show they're featured on, down to having to sit through interviews with other performers in other genres until we get to Shounen Hollywood's turn at the spotlight. Part of me is surprised these weren't just OVA specials of some sort rather than part of the show itself.

Just everything about the show came together so nicely in the end and I'm really, really glad I gave this one a shot. I just get the feeling it's going to be relegated to the category of secret good show no one watched in the future.

tl;dr - shit was great, ~chu

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I find it easier just post in forums without or minimal moecrap if it really bothers them that would help, they're rarer but do exist. (of course they have they're own biases you may not like but it is what it is).

If they want to do deal with discussions about most anime in a season they kinda have to deal with considering the degree with which it existents in the medium thus it becoming very hard to attempt to filter, out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What does that have to do with us?
Shipgirl talk is basically code for "they talked too much about Japanese stuff and not enough about American stuff" that seems to plague a lot of minds in OT. Ship girls is only a recent "problem" but clearly some had beef with the thread long before that. It's just odd that one subject is seen as acceptable and another isn't.

cajunator

Banned
I find it easier just post in forums without or minimal moecrap if it really bothers them that would help, they're rarer but do exist. (of course they have they're own biases you may not like but it is what it is).

If they want to do deal with discussions about most anime in a season they kinda have to deal with considering the degree with which it existents in the medium thus it becoming very hard to attempt to filter, out.

Anime has always been about a small bunch of gems in a pile of shit though.
Perhaps its like classic rock, where people only see the few shows from their childhood that were great and they think the past was simply filled with such anime all the time.

PK Gaming

We can't give up the hope, Kizu is surely just around the corner! And it will be magnificent with the most lavish fight animation Shaft has ever produced!

Kizumonogatari said:
"However Araragi-kun, if our daily life was adapted into an anime, the one moving frantically without being able to dance would be you, right?"

"For what reason should our daily life be turned into an anime!"

Munch munch, chomp chomp, crunch crunch.

Flesh and bones together.

".................."

You can't adapt this into an anime.

Like that, Kissshot crudely stirred up her own—
".........!"
Nonononononononono.

This is totally unsuitable for an anime.

"Hm? Well, if I lit a cigarette now wouldn't the anime adaptation become difficult?"
"............"
Why are you so obsessed with the anime adaptation.

Like Kissshot showed me before -- I formed a handchop, and I—.

I don't care that you can't turn this into an anime!

I think Kizu has already given up hope a long time ago

Syrinx

That's how it is for a lot of people, especially in Japan.

"The percentage of single Japanese between the ages of 20 to 34 who were still living together with their parents...had reached 48.9% (in 2012). In terms of numbers, that’s an estimated 13.4 million people."

It's not that I'm surprised he's staying at home; shit, I still am and probably will until I graduate college. It was more his mother desperately going nuts about him leaving home and going to the island permanently. He's 23. It's an age where you should be ready for your kid to leave.

I figured from this episode that his mother is overprotective and possessive of him. If they had done some establishing of this before the very end, it wouldn't have been an issue for me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Anime has always been about a small bunch of gems in a pile of shit though.
Perhaps its like classic rock, where people only see the few shows from their childhood that were great and they think the past was simply filled with such anime all the time.

True but the types of mainstream have changed, I think many people were more comfortable of the sexualisation of older women in the 90's and the ocasional teenagers, than the young teenagers of today. They both have their issues but many have more issue with the latter hence the distance between people try to put between it and other forms of the media/figure. The former is generally fine mostly because it's similar to what western media currently does.

THE iDOLMASTER CINDERELLA GIRLS 04

I love the focus that the other girls are getting. I was worried that the show would only focus on the three core girls and everyone else will just be in the background. I need more Chuuni Gothic Lolita and Shy Russian Girl in my life.

Blusby

Cinderella Girls 2-4: Nice looking show but the girls for the most part are just so boring, this series should just be about Mika, Anastasia, and Ranko 24/7.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cinderella Girls 2-4: Nice looking show but the girls for the most part are just so boring, this series should just be about Mika and Anastasia 24/7.
So far the Cat Girl one is my favourite if only because she seems to have more dimensions to her character than the others 1. The obvious "I'm a cat" one 2. The slightly bratty need to be the centre of attention one. Kind of like Love Live's Nico's split personalities. Her constant nyaning is quite annoying though.

But Cinderella Girls is basically a collection of one dimensional character so it is to be expected. As a result I don't think I'm ever going to like them as much as the original iDOLs.

Well, that was fun.

Reminded me how good this is when the stories finally interlock with each other.

Really enjoyed seeing nearly everyone participate for that hot pot party.

14227157844242oyr3.jpg

Two best boys eating together is a miracle of the universe

Especially, after watching how eternally assblasted Izaya looked since he didn't get invited.

some people were so afraid of ship girls they left figuregaf and created another figure thread lol.
This community is so silly.
Why does anime scare people so much? I really dont get it.
Now that's really silly.

Dog Days - 3

Is it me or does Dog Days get lewder by the season. We'll have full-on bestiality by S5 at this rate.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

I think you've forgotten some part of season 2 if you've reached this conclusion.

Parasyte 15 & 16

Seems like after a lot of meandering this is finally moving in an interesting direction. Shinichi has become a main target for the parasytes and been forced out of his ordinary high school life. The guy that attacked Shinichi in ep. 16 seems to be a formidable opponent (and possibly main antagonist?) with some cool tricks and visuals.
Meanwhile Ryoko is being moved into an interesting position where a future cooperation with Shinichi seems possible.

Animation was also rather strong in these episodes with some proper fight choreography instead of endless tentacle slinging. Unfortunately the OST is still hit or miss with some really awkward tunes during the fight.

Rollings Girls 04

I still fucking think selling a powerstone for a fucking statue is literally the dumbest shit ever and no amount of justification will change my mind about that.

cajunator

Banned
So far the Cat Girl one is my favourite if only because she seems to have more dimensions to her character than the others 1. The obvious "I'm a cat" one 2. The slightly bratty need to be the centre of attention one. Kind of like Love Live's Nico's split personalities. Her constant nyaning is quite annoying though.

But Cinderella Girls is basically a collection of one dimensional character so it is to be expected. As a result I don't think I'm ever going to like them as much as the original iDOLs.

The cat girl is one I wasnt aware of before but has certainly piqued my interest.

Dog Days - 3

Is it me or does Dog Days get lewder by the season. We'll have full-on bestiality by S5 at this rate.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

I love that movie :)

TUSR

Banned
Nihon Animator Binge Catchup

#01: The Dragon Dentist

Really enjoyed this one, as much as I wanted more of it. I think it was a great short.

#02: HILL CLIMB GIRL

Really interesting to see what Khara could do with just CG. Still off putting, but better than I expected.

Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49 1-13 FIN

Just everything about the show came together so nicely in the end and I'm really, really glad I gave this one a shot. I just get the feeling it's going to be relegated to the category of secret good show no one watched in the future.

Good write-up. I agree that it's surprising to see a totally grounded show like this done in animated format as opposed to live-action, not that I would complain of course! It really has a lot more depth than people giving a casual glance at the premise would give it credit for, and I appreciate the depth and realism given to the characters and the depiction of the idol industry. I also really enjoyed the mixing up of the standard TV format in the play and music show episodes as well. The whole series bears the mark of a confident writer.

The great thing is that, even though this season ended on a note that would have been just fine to go out on, there's still Holly Stage for 50 for us to watch!

Aldnoah Zero 16

In this episode they talk about how awesome Inaho is for single handedly winning battles for Earth, yet the higher ups still "Don't know what to do with the Deucalion." It is also evident that every soldier is a moron, shown by good 'ol Clydesdale 22 running into the enemy mech when he has no clue how to defeat it and slowly holding out until Inaho comes in during their time of need and defeats it. Then leaves.
"We don't know what to do with the Deucalion"

And now Slaine is martian Inaho.

Rolling☆Girls 04

Decent episode, but I'm not feeling this like I did the first two episodes.

Log Horizon 2 17

Well, Roe 2 is interesting to say the least.

dan2026

Death Parade 04

Goddamn is the OP song catchy as fuck or what?

Also I can't wait to see more of the denizens of that strange place.
And of course the return of our goddess, Nona.

Narag

I also really enjoyed the mixing up of the standard TV format in the play and music show episodes as well. The whole series bears the mark of a confident writer.

Yeah, there's a clear vision that comes through with an original property that I don't think we see too often anymore as well.

The great thing is that, even though this season ended on a note that would have been just fine to go out on, there's still Holly Stage for 50 for us to watch!

Now if only firehawk would watch it ~chu.

Jex

You are absolutely right that Milky Holmes started out great and has gone downhill since the end of S2, but don't drop Milky Holmes TD! Even if it's clearly not as good as seasons 1 or 2, TD actually is a pretty good show. Episode 1 is the worst of the three episodes so far; eps 2 and 3 are better, and are entirely focused on comedy instead of ep. 1's misguided half-idol-show concept. I mean, the idol girl is still there, but she's not an actual idol anymore. Ep. 3 didn't even have a "Milky Holmes are detectives, not idols" joke! So yeah, after a weak start, Milky Holmes TD is turning around. I just hope it stays as silly as the last two episodes have been.
If you thought that was bad, be thankful you didn't see Futari wa. TD is a MASSIVE step up from that trash.
I was kind of relieved to read this post, honestly. Whilst I don't think it's quite as bad as you do, I think there's a lot of people so relieved that Milky Holmes has gone back to being a dumb comedy with TD that they're being way too forgiving of a show that isn't really that great.

Well, either that, or they're just forgetting how much better that original series actually was. I mean, I deliberately went back and watched the Prince and the Pauper episode last week just to see if the Pi joke was as funny as I remembered it being (it was) and lost a whole afternoon to the show as a result. That's never going to happen with TD, yet a lot of long term Milky fans seem really into it.

That said, it also really rubbed me up the wrong way in the first episode with all the VA-less callbacks to way better secondary characters who aren't going to appear in this series. As much as Kokoro and her ever-escalating IQ was probably my favourite character (even before the idol OAV), it's just not the same without the rest of G4 for her to bounch of.

I can kind of understand where you're all coming from, if you've had to suffer through whatever ugly mess Season 3 of Milky Holmes truly was, TD might well look better in comparison but it is still garbage. Just unimaginably bland and boring.

The problem with TD is, well, everything. While it wears the rotting corpse of the Milky Holmes characters it fails to contain any of the aspects that made the first two seasons enjoyable. I honestly don't think you can even call this show Milky Holmes because it bears essentially zero resemblance to the first two seasons. Things that are different include:

- Cast Dynamics: The interaction between the core cast isn't as insane and entertaining as it was, and heaps of really important villains and police with well established character traits have been removed. It was these interactions that served to underpin the comedy of the series.

- Production: Milky Holmes is an outrageously gorgeous series with excellent colour design, background art and lively character designs. It's a series bursting with life and great character animation. TD is bland, flat and cold. It has no life or charm.

- Direction and pace: The original series has extremely energetic pacing with characters rolling from situation to situation at a brisk pace. It also featured extremely dynamic and impressive cinematography. TD looks like it was directed by George Lucas.

It shares none of the qualities that made those original shows great. It's just completely forgettable.

Huh.

It just dawned on me that I might possibly be in for hearing Hiroshi Kamiya's voice back to back each Saturday with Akashi and Izaya.

That should be fun.

Alex still providing some nice scenes with Kagami.

Guy should just accept the situation and be happy.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 01

Not even ten minutes into the episode and I already have ample material to ship Haruka and Yuu... Yui as my preferred couple. You're doing a good job, Toei. The show's a bit heavy on the CGI, using it for the finisher and some orbital shots, but it looks better than Crystal. Probably because Toei put a higher budget into it. The boarding school concept provides a sense of distance and isolation that previous seasons didn't have, and the whole thing is giving me a vibe that meets halfway between Princess Tutu and Marimite. GOKIGENYO.

The opening is catchy, the ED is a waltz, and while Minami and Kirara only got a small amount of cameo screentime, this can be fun. Even if the villains look like a Hot Topic exploded over them. Good thing this is on the air, because Lady Jewelpet is ending soon, so Precure can take over the trappings of this "high class princess academy" theme for itself. Just with more yuri, please? I know Kanata is our Blue-like figure, but HaruYui has so much potential.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 23

I've had that suspicion for a while now so it didn't come as a complete shock. It was still pretty disturbing to see though. I noticed all the dummies were smiling, which Rei rarely does. Life sucks huh. If only there were Kaji dummies ;_;

Go! Princess Precure 1

Providing with Lace Borders, and some CG during the fight, we move one step closer to a full CG future. Sailor Moon Crystal effectively ushered the era of 3D stock, which goes into the finisher as well. Granted, it's not quite as bad as say... Sailor Moon Crystal's.

Despite that, the general fight for this episode NOT only finished this episode (unlike Doki's and HapCha more recently), it generally flowed better and looked better overall compared to the finale of last season's Precure. Despite Cure Flora's hair.

Maybe in some sense, Precure fights could become more consis--haahahahaha, nah.

Anywho, we have a new force called the Zetsuborgs, feasting off the dreams of their victims. The OP and ED are the shit. Good lord.

Yui is a cute. And a GOKIGENYO to you too

phaze

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 23

I've had that suspicion for a while now so it didn't come as a complete shock. It was still pretty disturbing to see though. I noticed all the dummies were smiling, which Rei rarely does. Life sucks huh. If only there were Kaji dummies ;_;

Skip the next three episodes and go straight into the movie.

Don't believe all those crazy folk who will disagree.

SystemBug

Barakamon

9XdaSR4.jpg

Just completed watching Barakamon. I ended up marathoning it and wow, it was pretty darn good. I like it a lot. Very touching, and funny. Naru was a joy

Midonin

The lacey borders in GoPri do seem carried over from Crystal, not just the CGI. Though there it was called Usagi Vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom