• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think Animator Expo came in at the last moment and people just started voting for those shorts because it's what they had seen. Which is fine, I suppose, because then it's reflective of what people actually watched. But you don't see the problem with equating a feature length movie with a ten minute web short?
If we're doing that, why not just put movies and TV in the same category? The distinctions don't matter any more.
it is not as though the animator expo shorts are without merit. like them or not these are highly stylized pieces, and while accessibility is always going to be a factor we could just as easily point out that certain tv shows went unlicensed, awkwardly translated, weren't on american tv, etc.

i don't see the problem with comparing shorts to feature films. again, there are tv short series with total run times that clock under single episodes of other shows, not taking into account that some of those shows could have dozens of episodes. there is a shared language to storytelling and film that allows us to draw comparisons and weigh the quality of works against one another.

if the groupings need to be explained: shorts, ovas, and movies are titles that typically have greater creative freedom. running a series on television presents its own commercial construct that can be logically isolated. this has the added benefit of providing exposure to movies/shorts/ovas that would potentially get lost among more accessible television shows.

stuff works this way for a reason. it is not a perfect system but it meets the demands of participating voters. try to understand that even the restrictions on when titles are eligible candidates works in a manner that ensures works are at least moderately accessible to a wider audience.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Redline

So, I got this on BluRay from GAFfer mechashiva as part of his GAF Secret Santa package to me. I've been wanted to watch it for a while, and well...

tumblr_mludvyoK6B1rfjo9ao1_500.gif

HOLY

cbfBZlW.gif

MOTHER

tumblr_n3zuvrGCkC1svhed3o1_500.gif

OF

%D0%B3%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%BA%D0%B8-Anime-REDLINE-REDLINE-Deyzuna-552117.gif

GOD

sRZXpKe.gif

I'm fucking blown away. Absolutely gorgeous. There's not one single fucking shot, nay might I say frame, in this movie that looks bad. So cheesy yet so fucking stylish. It just fucking oozes charisma. It's like F-Zero fucked Speed Racer. It knows what it's supposed to be (a high octane joyride with a cartoon-y batch of characters that are just a blast to watch) and it hits it's stride hard, flipping everyone the bird and daring them to animate on this level or get out of the way. Its plot has the depth of cheesy stage flat and can be really meatheaded at times, but that's all it needs to be the glorious laser show that it is. The soundtrack is groovy as fuck but still keeps your blood pumping; it never sacrifices it's cool or its edge or vice versa. And to top it off, the dub cast was just perfectly cast and a preformed.

Just an absolutely amazing ride.

Redline

I'm fucking blown away. Absolutely gorgeous. There's not one single fucking shot, nay might I say frame, in this movie that looks bad. So cheesy yet so fucking stylish. It just fucking oozes charisma. It's like F-Zero fucked Speed Racer. It knows what it's supposed to be (a high octane joyride with a cartoon-y batch of characters that are just a blast to watch) and it hits it's stride hard, flipping everyone the bird and daring them to animate on this level or get out of the way. Its plot has the depth of cheesy stage flat and can be really meatheaded at times, but that's all it needs to be the glorious laser show that it is. The soundtrack is groovy as fuck but still keeps your blood pumping; it never sacrifices it's cool or its edge or vice versa. And to top it off, the dub cast was just perfectly cast and a preformed.

Just an absolutely amazing ride.

Seven years hand drawn!

Why the hell is Yuki Yuna so low? Seemed like one of the more talked about and liked shows last season.

My thoughts exactly. My guess is that it was probably overshadowed by WIXOSS as the more watched magical girl show around here.

It's kinda sad actually. I mean, the show wasn't amazing, but it was a fun magical girl show nonetheless.

Yeah, this probably had something to do with it as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
it is not as though the animator expo shorts are without merit. like them or not these are highly stylized pieces, and while accessibility is always going to be a factor we could just as easily point out that certain tv shows went unlicensed, awkwardly translated, weren't on american tv, etc.

i don't see the problem with comparing shorts to feature films. again, there are tv short series with total run times that clock under single episodes of other shows, not taking into account that some of those shows could have dozens of episodes. there is a shared language to storytelling and film that allows us to draw comparisons and weigh the quality of works against one another.

if the groupings need to be explained: shorts, ovas, and movies are titles that typically have greater creative freedom. running a series on television presents its own commercial construct that can be logically isolated. this has the added benefit of providing exposure to movies/shorts/ovas that would potentially get lost among more accessible television shows.

stuff works this way for a reason. it is not a perfect system but it meets the demands of participating voters. try to understand that even the restrictions on when titles are eligible candidates works in a manner that ensures works are at least moderately accessible to a wider audience.
I would just turn around and suggest that the dilution you see of TV trumping films/OVAs is exactly what is happening with the current "Not-TV" category. By virtue of time investment, accessibility, or whatever, people are going to have more of those shorts than they will have the feature films. You lose information either way.

If we pretend that this list really is meant to be a form of outreach and not community masturbation/self-flagellation, how useful will it be when someone going through and watching everything on the list changes from long form films to 10 minute shorts?

fertygo

Parasyte is 2014's Psycho-Pass

Bet its will had some "Its the best cartoon that I watched" LTTP Thread at OT in future like PP too.

It's funny how many votes KLK has at the #1 spot over JoJo but they're still so close.
Maybe if those one-and-done people watched the superior action series we wouldn't be in this predicament!

Parasyte is 2014's Psycho-Pass

Bet its will had some "Its the best cartoon that I watched" LTTP Thread at OT in future like PP too.

Parasyte is pretty good though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom