• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RwJCzSb.jpg

Justice will prevail.

javac

So I finally started this show after much excitement and anticipation and I’m really glad that I did. The show thus far has been a joy to watch and has left me wanting more. Seeing as I’m at the halfway point I thought that I’d wrap up for today and write up a bit in regards to my feelings on the show so far (which are super positive if you couldn’t tell!). I’m not sure if the show is popular or well known around here, so I’d be happy if I get some other people to check this out by the time I’m done with it.
The show itself is a mystery drama or sorts with heavy use of both horror and supernatural elements that accumulates into something truly psychological.
The show in general…
Okay as always I tend to split up my feelings on each element of the show so I’ll be starting with the general gist of the show. The best way to describe the show would be…that it feels like a grown up, anime take on the Goosebumps type of formula. Each episode has its own little story to tell but everything intertwines by the end of each episode as everything falls into place. Make no mistake; everything is a part of a much grander arc here. The premises are super, creepy (legitimately so) and some parts downright chilling in imagery. But no matter how creepy each episode is, you end up with this huge grin on your face as everything falls into place by the end of each episode and the credits roll by (with that super catchy ending theme!). The show is really cool like that.
The show is varied however, as it works hard to keep its audience engaged. Episode 6 for example was creepy, but left me with some tears in my eyes by the end. The show can be pretty real at times and its pacing can be masterful. The show deals with all sorts of proposition and plays with all sorts of ideas. Deranged stalkers, serial killers and other crazy people lurk in this story. Overall I’m really enjoying the story and the way in which it’s told. This is no one trick pony.
Music
The music in this show is fan-fucking-tastic. Really, the creators of the show did a terrific job of manipulating sound in order to construct this eerie atmosphere that keeps you engaged. It’s super effective and makes for a unique and intimate experience. Silent moments are followed by ambient sounds and heavy breathing and such sounds all accumulating into something unnatural and truly riveting. The intro music is 10/10 amazing, and the end of each episode is met by the ending theme which leaves a massive smile on my face as the credits scroll by. These will be on my music player for a long time, as will the whole soundtrack.
Overall, the audio is utilized to a degree that enhances the show and each episode and is something I truly admire. Think Lain, and think Texhnolyze when trying to visualize the soundtrack for this show. With the sound director being Mr.Tsuruoka, it’s no surprise really. Incredible job all round on the audio.
Carrying on with the theme of audio and sound, I thought that I’d take some time to praise the voice acting. The voices are super compelling and the actors really sell what they are saying. The voices don’t sound too typical and the cast is diverse.
Visuals
The visuals encompass the designs, cinematography and such. Overall so far I love what I’m seeing. The show has the grainy look throughout which makes for a look that can only be described as a washed out VHS. This mixed with the use of muted, dull colours makes for an image that looks funnily enough fresh and something that pops off the screen. It really sells the tone of the show and adds to the atmosphere. For a show that is muted in looks, it so happens that the show is also very stylish and cool in its appearance.
The character design is a big positive for me. Everyone looks simple and realistic enough whilst still managing to stand out and just looking super appealing. That’s pretty hard to achieve in my opinion so the character designers should be commended as such. No crazy colours and such in their hair, everyone is pretty much wearing the same school uniforms and yet they all look distinct. Huge plus for me. It really works to create this cohesive, believable world.
Overall
I’m really enjoying this show a lot. Kind of sad I’m already half way through it, but I look forward to seeing how it ends. The show is creepy, and interesting. The music is done really well, as is the voice acting and the visuals are a delight. Everything works together to create this cohesive vision that the director should be proud of. Thoughts on episode 7 to 12 (end) tomorrow.
As a side note, first of all if anyone likes my thoughts on the shows that I watch I’m super grateful but I’d also like feedback if people don’t like the format. As I try to avoid episode specifies and spoilers they might all sound a bit the same. If people prefer episode specifics or each episode being discussed separately, let me know.

Welp the TOP 3 is decided , no way an anime can catch those 3 .

The final run is a match between ping pong , space dandy & nozaki-kun.

I can accept that.

Articalys

What are you trying to say, son?
Oh, I had nothing against the show's quality, I was legitimately surprised it got as many voters as it did despite not being streamed anywhere. The same thing could be said of Hyouka the year before, really.
Not that I know who is in animegaf nowadays, but I saw a lot of names I didn't recognize in the voting thread.
Huh. Well, I suppose Funimation did do a good job promoting it. I would have thought that Yuasa's style might have been a negative point for some viewers but apparently not -- and Tatami Galaxy did get third place in the 2010 vote after all, albeit with fewer voters.

I guess it's that massive disparity of first place votes for Yamato and Ping Pong between them and the rest of their respective lists that fascinates me. I can understand widespread support for both shows, but that level of widespread maximum support compared to everything else just confuses me, especially in Yamato's non-streaming case.

Or said differently, if you told me one show would have total domination on the AOTY list this year, I would reasonably have believed you but would not have guessed it to be Ping Pong.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Btw.

Dandy is winning because the people who like Dandy like it a lot. More people watched Dandy than they did Nozaki-kun, but not all of them are voting Dandy because it was very divisive.

Nozaki-kun is winning because it's consistent. If you enjoyed episode 1 of Nozaki-kun, you enjoyed all 13 episodes.

duckroll

Btw.

Dandy is winning because the people who like Dandy like it a lot. More people watched Dandy than they did Nozaki-kun, but not all of them are voting Dandy because it was very divisive.

Nozaki-kun is winning because it's consistent. If you enjoyed episode 1 of Nozaki-kun, you enjoyed all 13 episodes.

Deep voting psychology. Lol.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I excluded GBF altogether to give a pity vote to G-Reco. Please mete out swift justice upon my ignominious flesh with the blunt weapon of your choice if GBF comes in a narrow eleventh.

Quasar

Welp the TOP 3 is decided , no way an anime can catch those 3 .

The final run is a match between ping pong , space dandy & nozaki-kun.

I can accept that.

I am a bit sad to see Silver Spoon shunned like it is.

And it is interesting to see how different communities react. I ran a similar vote for a smaller anime community on a tabletop rpg forum, and basically it was a landslide for Nozakikun and ping pong and dandy got no votes at all (I used the gaf system aside including films and ovas in with series in a single top 10).

Articalys

I do like how the (current) top ten is a fairly even licensing split though: Funimation coming up big with the runaway top two plus one more, then Sentai and Aniplex with two each (though Mushishi has no home release confirmed yet), and three others that remain unlicensed.

Quasar

Log horizon not even in the top ten?

Fuck it all.

That is interesting. For me I think it was because I voted for S1 last year and I wasnt as enthused with S2. i think I still put it in my 10, just much lower (it was my #2 last year).

Log horizon not even in the top ten?

Fuck it all.
Just a database problem.
Hopefully when this season end, it'll be in everyone head for next year vote !!!

I am a bit sad to see Silver Spoon shunned like it is.

And it is interesting to see how different communities react. I ran a similar vote for a smaller anime community on a tabletop rpg forum, and basically it was a landslide for Nozakikun and ping pong and dandy got no votes at all (I used the gaf system aside including films and ovas in with series in a single top 10).

Well in a french community i often visit ping pong wouldn't be even remotely that high.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RIP transparency.

Shut off the sharing so I can keep the final tally a surprise.

Hold on to your butts!

Enron

Banned
document share disabled.

Wonder what is going to happen now *cough* fix

What are they so afraid of?

THE PEOPLE DEMAND TRANSPARENCY

So I finally started this show after much excitement and anticipation and I’m really glad that I did. The show thus far has been a joy to watch and has left me wanting more. Seeing as I’m at the halfway point I thought that I’d wrap up for today and write up a bit in regards to my feelings on the show so far (which are super positive if you couldn’t tell!). I’m not sure if the show is popular or well known around here, so I’d be happy if I get some other people to check this out by the time I’m done with it.

Glad you're enjoying Boogiepop Phantom; I recall enjoying the show a great deal. It has a sense of atmosphere that few TV shows can match. I should really watch it again someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom