• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Shirobako requires you to somewhat care about the anime industry. Barakamon is more accessible as who can't relate to failure and finding your true self?

I'm just glad Korra wasn't allowed. If it had ranked high solely because of that ending that somehow forgives that shit last season I would have died inside. It was like the cartoon version of Wire S4 to S5. Only more of a drop.

Just as you don't have to give a shit about Calligraphy to enjoy Barakamaon, I don't think you have to give a shit about the animation industry to like Shirobako. That's how I feel anyway, the good parts of the show have little to do with its actual "educational" value.

Just as you don't have to give a shit about Calligraphy to enjoy Barakamaon, I don't think you have to give a shit about the animation industry to like Shirobako. That's how I feel anyway, the good parts of the show have little to do with its actual "educational" value.

Shirobako is actually at its worst when it gets overly didactic. Thankfully outside of two episodes, it's doesn't get too obnoxious with it.

ibyea

Banned

This. While the anime industry part interested me, there were other aspects that pulled me in a lot more than just the technical aspects did.

Quasar

WHAT THE HELL?!

I suppose I should not be surprised to see someone put it on their top 10. Even if I consider it offensive trash of the highest order, which I gave a legendary 1 on MAL that had previously only been reserved for Legend of the Overfiend.

Maybe I'll eventually give it a watch one day and curse at my 2014 self. I already do for not putting Ronja higher in my list.

Quasar

I think you need to care more simply because Shirobako is so much more complicated and has a army of characters to keep track of.

jgminto

ETA Results Thread: 1-2 days

Counting is finished but I need to collect materials.

Here's some meta data to keep your thirst quenched
or make it worse
. This is an average of the rankings a show has received. So if it was consistently voted as first, then it would have have a score closer to 10, going down to 1 for shows consistently ranked last.

Think of it as an approval rating.

Series
Code:
Future Card Buddy Fight	9.00
I already know this was DTL.

Crocodile

I think you need to care more simply because Shirobako is so much more complicated and has a army of characters to keep track of.

Is it really all that different from any other well done work place dramady? A lot of characters are thrown at us but the show takes its time in giving us a reason to give a shit about most of them - it just takes turns doing so.

Jex

Btw.

Dandy is winning because the people who like Dandy like it a lot. More people watched Dandy than they did Nozaki-kun, but not all of them are voting Dandy because it was very divisive.

Nozaki-kun is winning because it's consistent. If you enjoyed episode 1 of Nozaki-kun, you enjoyed all 13 episodes.

I imagine this is exactly why Dandy didn't seem to be getting as many top votes as I would have expected, it was always a fairly uneven viewing experience.

Quasar

Is it really all that different from any other well done work place dramady? A lot of characters are thrown at us but the show takes its time in giving us a reason to give a shit about most of them - it just takes turns doing so.

I feel its much more technical though. I feel I would have struggled early on and maybe stopped if I hadn't been somewhat familiar with at least some animation production roles. I think it was deep end of the pool compared to say Servant x Service.

ibyea

Banned
I feel its much more technical though. I feel I would have struggled early on and maybe stopped if I hadn't been so what familiar with at least some animation production roles. I think it was deep end of the pool compared to say Servant x Service.

I personally had to learn what the roles and processes were as I went along, since I wasn't familiar with the industry so whatever hold the show had in me was pretty much everything else, and I really loved it. That's just me, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At least 2 spots would've been swung with a single #1 vote.

I hope your favorite series made it without you voting for it because otherwise ahahahahaaha.

Quasar

Log Horizon 2.17 - This might be my favourite S2 episode. The whole story surrounding Roe2 is just such an interesting idea. Like who was playing the character when they got transported? his imouto? Also I really wonder why Nureha has freaked out with interest about Roe2 giver her appearance and mannerisms.

Add to that is the added society complications that the round table are struggling with back at Akihabara.

What's everyone's take on Durarara S2? Pretty cool so far. Also looking forward to Fate/stay night picking back up.

I'm trying to like JoJos Bizzare adventure, but its kind of blah for me 6 episodes in. Does it get better?

Thoraxes

Isuca - 02

So the power methods and transfer basically work like Campione but the plot is way shittier and the power needed for fighting is more boring. Will definitely keep watching.

Jex

At least 2 spots would've been swung with a single #1 vote.

I hope your favorite series made it without you voting for it because otherwise ahahahahaaha.

Well it looks like SOME people forgot to vote. Whoops!

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 26

??????
I'm going to bed

zfd276Y.png

Cross Ange 17

Fuck Tusk. Ange being afraid and hanging off of him, what the hell is that? I hope Hilda NTR's him as hard as possible because the next ep preview was pretty :sdburton and Hilda and Ange are about 100x better then Hilda and Tusk, or Ange and everyone but Tusk. And I mean everyone in the harem way.

All these factions now. How is this even going to end? And what happened to the mana using non-norma girl, did she just die?

Fuck Tusk.

Thoraxes

Koufuku Graffiti - 04

Another soothing episode. I loved all the trips down memory lane and how everyone reacted to Ryou being grown up. The convenience store guy was funny, and his appearance in the little credits animation with Ryou was adorable. The teru teru bozu costume was funny too.

This show is just so peaceful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Jex

[Cross Ange] - 17

Most of the action in the second half of this episode made little sense. It's been demonstrated, on numerous occasions, that Ange is substantially better than every other pilot bar Dragon-Lady and now we're supposed to believe she can just be beaten so easily in a fight? There's no consistency here at all. They didn't even try to write in a plot reason like "her mech isn't repaired" or something. Lazy writing for a lazy show.

faridmon

Ao no Exorcist 1- 12

Maybe run-of-the-mill Shonen Anime is not for me, but this series can't get anymore cliched even if it tried. What a meh Anime.

Anyone actually enjoyed it?

Is it sequel, prequel or just a side thing?

Should watch it after I finish the series?

Ye, I am going to finish it, my OCD is overpowering me.

You can watch it whenever. It's a side story that only requires you to understand the basic premise of the series, which you already do by watching 12 episodes.

phaze

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 26

??????
I'm going to bed
You've been warned...

Congratulations !

I am the grid of my sheets
Cells are my body and data is my blood
I have counted over a thousand ballots
Unknown to water, nor known to food
Have withstood back pain to bring rankings
Yet Nozaki-kun will never beat Space Dandy
So as I pray, Unlimited Spreadsheet Works

Your sacrifice is appreciated and not in vain.

I'm trying to like JoJos Bizzare adventure, but its kind of blah for me 6 episodes in. Does it get better?

The second part, Battle Tendency is good. Starts from circa episode 12.

Witch Craft Works 1-9

You know you fucked something up when your MC is by far the worst character in a show. The only decent moments are when he isn't around to ruin a scene do to his inability to do shit. You can make an MC a spineless wimp, you can make him super idiot, but you can't do both since it makes the character unbearable.

Baalzebup

Fuck Tusk.

Hard. With a rusty, edged implement of unknown origin and purpose.

[Cross Ange] - 17

Most of the action in the second half of this episode made little sense. It's been demonstrated, on numerous occasions, that Ange is substantially better than every other pilot bar Dragon-Lady and now we're supposed to believe she can just be beaten so easily in a fight? There's no consistency here at all. They didn't even try to write in a plot reason like "her mech isn't repaired" or something. Lazy writing for a lazy show.

This too. Having better units than before shouldn't have brought them anywhere Ange's level of competence.

I'm also curious how come she still hasn't actually done anything toward finding out more about Vilkiss' super modes. Auto-repair on demand, seemingly invulnerable energy field with offensive capabilities and a longer, energy coated sword and a capability to teleport and cross dimensions seemingly at will. You'd think these are things that one should investigate a bit.

DiGiKerot

Kancolle - 02

Dat pay 2 win magic.

People kinda think that about that scene in that episode of KanColle, but no-one who is even slightly sensible who plays the game actually spends money on buckets - they drop in abundance. Heck, I accumulate four or five a day without even really trying - I'm sitting on well over a hundred of them at the moment, and that's on the lowside compared to other folks I know who play.

Infact, aside from a handful of one-off unlocks (for more baths and more shipgirl space), the game really doesn't nag you about making in-game purchases, and generally tends in inform you that actually paying for consumables, whilst possible, isn't that great an idea. Probably explains why Kadokawa were apparently operating it at a loss for so long, or so I gather.

Mostly, though, it just amuses me how differently folks who play the game and those who don't see that scene, in a weirdly meta way. Same with the Kotori-substitute in Cinderella Girls handing the girls Energy Drinks in that second episode, I suppose, though I don't (yet) play CG to fully understand the significant of that, just that it is an actual game concept.

Thoraxes

People kinda think that about that scene in that episode of KanColle, but no-one who is even slightly sensible who plays the game actually spends money on buckets - they drop in abundance. Heck, I accumulate four or five a day without even really trying - I'm sitting on well over a hundred of them at the moment, and that's on the lowside compared to other folks I know who play.

Infact, aside from a handful of one-off unlocks (for more baths and more shipgirl space), the game really doesn't nag you about making in-game purchases, and generally tends in inform you that actually paying for consumables, whilst possible, isn't that great an idea. Probably explains why Kadokawa were apparently operating it at a loss for so long, or so I gather.

Mostly, though, it just amuses me how differently folks who play the game and those who don't see that scene, in a weirdly meta way. Same with the Kotori-substitute in Cinderella Girls handing the girls Energy Drinks in that second episode, I suppose, though I don't (yet) play CG to fully understand the significant of that, just that it is an actual game concept.
As someone who doesn't play either I actually appreciate your insights. I had no idea it was more like that in the game.

[Cross Ange] - 17

They were new mechas, mass-manufactured Vylkiss for them, it was 4 vs 1, it seems they were training or battling in the interim and leveled up, and who knows if Embryo helped them being better pilots through *magic*.

Cross Ange 17

Jesus with the quality

Well, I guessed correctly Lizardia was compromised already, she was too close to the capital/Embryo, so it was clear they were going to an ambush. More pilots than I thought has fallen in Embryo lies (brainwashing?), now only Chris and Rosalie but Salia and Ersha. I suppose they are just being manipulated, as they didn't know all the series backstory with Embryo and he revived Chris and one of the children that was with Ersha. So now we have the Dragon side, Jill's side that found Ange's group, and Embryo side with the black "traitor" group.
edit: wops, Rosalie was with Hilda.

/XX/

Since Miss Hokusai is releasing in May, its BD should be out by the end of the year.
I'm kind of afraid when Production I.G goes for their tactic of 'Japanese auteur making rounds in festivals abroad' when they are handling themselves international sales and distribution, because as it happened with A Letter to Momo it could delay for a time a digital disc release in Japan probably due to all the programmed showings... and seeing how Festival d'Annecy already is a fairly well positioned candidate for it to be featured there reinforces that impression (although this Mr. Hara film will premier in Japanese cinemas first, so I'm not sure if this will be the case in the end... just be prepared for the worst).

Shirobako requires you to somewhat care about the anime industry. Barakamon is more accessible as who can't relate to failure and finding your true self?
Yep... and heck, I'd even put another work from Mr. Mizushima as is Girls und Panzer as an example (even if the 'sports' genre gives it more leeway in that sense) as there is no need to appreciate or know specifications from WWII-era tanks to enjoy the series; in both shows the nicely presented interactions between characters, their goals laid out carefully and the exciting accomplishments well shown are enough for many to empathize and root for them.

Maybe SHIROBAKO isn't as accessible when technical jargon is used but the personal traits of the protagonists displayed and the vibrancy, enthusiasm with how they cope with the problems more than make up for it, in my opinion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm kind of afraid when Production I.G goes for their tactic of 'Japanese auteur making rounds in festivals abroad' when they are handling themselves international sales and distribution, because as it happened with A Letter to Momo it could delay for a time a digital disc release in Japan probably due to all the programmed showings... and seeing how Festival d'Annecy already is a fairly well positioned candidate for it to be featured there reinforces that impression (although this Mr. Hara film will premier in Japanese cinemas first, so I'm not sure if this will be the case in the end... just be prepared for the worst).
Yep... and heck, I'd even put another work from Mr. Mizushima as is Girls und Panzer as an example (even if the 'sports' genre gives it more leeway in that sense) as there is no need to appreciate or know specifications from WWII-era tanks to enjoy the series; in both shows the nicely presented interactions between characters, their goals laid out carefully and the exciting accomplishments well shown are enough for many to empathize and root for them.

Maybe SHIROBAKO isn't as accessible when technical jargon is used but the personal traits of the protagonists displayed and the vibrancy, enthusiasm with how they cope with the problems more than make up for it, in my opinion.

I supposedly care about anime production and I can't get into Shirobako. The characters aren't as close to as interesting as the stock characters in Girls un Panzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom