• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I right in assuming End of Evangelion is for the (alternative/real) ending, and the 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are the show sliced up into movies?

Sölf

Am I right in assuming End of Evangelion is for the (alternative/real) ending, and the 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are the show sliced up into movies?

It's basically a sort of alternate version (without spoiling too much). The first movie is nearly 1:1 the TV show, just with better graphics and only some changes. But starting with the second movie, it moving in another direction then the TV show.

faridmon

I'm kind of afraid when Production I.G goes for their tactic of 'Japanese auteur making rounds in festivals abroad' when they are handling themselves international sales and distribution, because as it happened with A Letter to Momo it could delay for a time a digital disc release in Japan probably due to all the programmed showings... and seeing how Festival d'Annecy already is a fairly well positioned candidate for it to be featured there reinforces that impression (although this Mr. Hara film will premier in Japanese cinemas first, so I'm not sure if this will be the case in the end... just be prepared for the worst).

Yep... and heck, I'd even put another work from Mr. Mizushima as is Girls und Panzer as an example (even if the 'sports' genre gives it more leeway in that sense) as there is no need to appreciate or know specifications from WWII-era tanks to enjoy the series; in both shows the nicely presented interactions between characters, their goals laid out carefully and the exciting accomplishments well shown are enough for many to empathize and root for them.

Maybe SHIROBAKO isn't as accessible when technical jargon is used but the personal traits of the protagonists displayed and the vibrancy, enthusiasm with how they cope with the problems more than make up for it, in my opinion.

I have to say, that I always enjoy your writing and criticism, and I don't say that much often.

I do think that the general direction Production IG have took recently have raise my eyebrows a lot more than I thought, including their creative out put and their loss of their passion they had for animation and visuals. The fact they are focusing so much to be an art studio abroad worries me a lot more.
And you insinuated, the fact there is no plans for a European release is just bonkers.

Also, I think I have written my thoughts about SHIRABAKO, but I am not enjoying it as many. The technical Jargon as you are mentioning actually is not pushed enough to make it less ''twee'' Anime and the general feel of it, be it presented as Slice-of-Life Anime, and it having a clear progression seems a like a forced clash.

I like it, but not as many here. I just feel there is no clear ''theme'' going on, and there is a lot of different styles applied to a show that supposedly focus on Animation production.

fertygo

This too. Having better units than before shouldn't have brought them anywhere Ange's level of competence.

Its an mech animu. when enemy bring new unit the protag gonna struggle before rekt them like there's no tomorrow in next meeting.

Do you even Gundam/Sunrise?

Jintor

The amazing power of Kimura backgrounds.

The backgrounds are definitely the high point, but from what I recall, I was really enamoured with the direction as well. They did an amazing job of making the environments seem... way bigger and more impactful than in the series. I'm sure that's a combination of the background art as well, but the way it's framed, the way the story is told, it lends this big sense of majesty to the True Cross City (or whatever it's called) that the anime completely lacks. Like, in the Movie, the City feels like an actual place. In the series, it's a disjointed series of film sets.

The characters in GuP and Shirobako are all carried by the flow of the plot progression. Quite refreshing in the world of anime where anime characters love to talk in long inner monologues.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But I'm sure we've factually proved that you're crazy!
This is on my mind simply because I read duckroll's AOTY ballot, but somehow I cared more about what happened to the fake news channel on The Newsroom than about anything that happened in the episodes I watched of Shirobako... and all the characters on The Newsroom are despicable. lol

fertygo

This is on my mind simply because I read duckroll's AOTY ballot, but somehow I cared more about what happened to the fake news channel on The Newsroom than about anything that happened in the episodes I watched of Shirobako... and all the characters on The Newsroom are despicable. lol
Do you already pass eps 6 btw.
That's more an action shounen trope than a specifically mecha trope.

mecha is sub-genre of action in anime so..

Rolling Girls 4

Continues the slower pace of the last episode, but there was a lot more to like this time around. Direction was snappier and there were some nice bits of animation. If it's like this going forward that's cool, although I'll miss the madness of the first two episodes.

Jex

The characters in GuP and Shirobako are all carried by the flow of the plot progression. Quite refreshing in the world of anime where anime characters love to talk in long inner monologues.

But that's more the power of LN's infecting anime!

TUSR

Banned
Rolling Girls 4

Continues the slower pace of the last episode, but there was a lot more to like this time around. Direction was snappier and there were some nice bits of animation. If it's like this going forward that's cool, although I'll miss the madness of the first two episodes.

I think people expected it to be like the first 2 episodes for the whole series.

fertygo

But that's more the power of LN's infecting anime!

Its manga thing too, considering most anime today are adaptation.. rip in pieces.

You don't know how killer monologue can be without watching Your Lie in April (firehawk gonna said this better than Shirobako if he watching btw)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its manga thing too, considering most anime today are adaptation.. rip in pieces.

You don't know how killer monologue can be without watching Your Lie in April (firehawk gonna said this better than Shirobako if he watching btw)
I'm not watching it, but I would assume that melodrama is better than no drama at all. :p

Sölf

Ping Pong 06
After the Christmas scene I thought this episode couldn't get any better. But then the scene between Akuma and Peco happened. Holy shit, this show just keeps getting better and better. I should hav watched this way earlier.

javac

Glad you're enjoying Boogiepop Phantom; I recall enjoying the show a great deal. It has a sense of atmosphere that few TV shows can match. I should really watch it again someday.

Thanks for the reply! :) The show keeps you hooked from beginning to end in a way that very few other shows can manage. Riveting stuff. Can't wait to finish it today and I'm super glad that you yourself enjoyed it! I really hope that the show is popular as it deserves it.

Saekano - 03

I enjoyed this episode... I mean it's not realistic at all , there are so many points to wonder on everyone motivations and attitudes... but who the hell watches anime to get something realistic ?

There is nothing wrong with seakano is his current state. The MC is certainly not given a free pass , even if he does rely on his relationships to get by. There is defintly a feelign we could have reached this state in one less episode but i guess they wanted to show more of the relationship between those 2 .

Saekano%20-%2003_01.jpg

NO matter what everyone say , seakano does rely heavily on those 2 characters.

One thing seakano does well , is that it's self aware... it's a good thing because it matches with the context .. it's not the first to talk about otaku culture, or mock it.. and it certainly won't be the last... there is no problem about talking creative processes and the problem that goes with it , if the main point or the plot device of your anime is the creative process itself. Many anime used it ( hayate no gotoku for exemple and that is an old exemple ) but saekano is really less about the content but more about the journey.

Saekano%20-%2003_02.jpg

Saekano%20-%2003_03.jpg

Well the evidence does pile up, someone on the creative process did max out her dere points .

Glad to see that unlike oreimo for exemple , Visual novels doesn't make themselves out of thin air with 1 idea and a little help in less than a month. It'll be intresting to see how they will handle the rest of the stuff missing , from coding to music and how they will interract to plan everything ..those are nice millestones to look forward to given that the "cold war " has started between those 3 even if they do share a common goal , i guess given how episode 0 was, personnal achievements are still possible ? Seakano so far has still a lot to prove , but does have done a lot of things right from pacing to the fact that the characters aren't afraid to voice every opinion they have .. defintly refreshing and more modern than many anime before that tried to follow this path.

VERDICT AFTER 4 eps : GOOD.

Koufuku Graffiti - 04

So Ryo can carry an episode by herself. While food is always the central theme it was dare I say...touching to see all the stuff about her grandma actually being a horrible cook in her earlier years and learning to be a good cook while she was taking care of Ryo when she was little. Not much else to say but this show still easily being the best show airing this season.

Joni

End of Evangelion is supposed to be the 'same' as the last two episodes of the show, but as viewed from the outside. It isn't really an alternative, it is the ending together with episodes 25 and 26.

duckroll

End of Evangelion is supposed to be the 'same' as the last two episodes of the show, but as viewed from the outside. It isn't really an alternative, it is the ending together with episodes 25 and 26.

Correct. The TV ending is Shinji's internal perspective. End of Evangelion is the external blockbuster movie perspective. Rebuild of Evangelion is the next cycle in the endless loop.

/me runs

You know I'm right!

Joni

Correct. The TV ending is Shinji's internal perspective. End of Evangelion is the external blockbuster movie perspective. Rebuild of Evangelion is the next cycle in the endless loop.

/me runs

You know I'm right!

I think it is actually a meta commentary on the endless wait Evangelion fans have to suffer to be actually able to get somewhere. It is a cycle of hope and disappointment.

I might be getting desperate to get the UK Blu-Ray for Evangelion 3.33. Or the endless struggle to get the show on a European DVD with English subs.

Koufuku Graffiti - 04

Seeing how Kirin and Shiina wouldn't have a big presence in this episode, I thought this was going to be bad. Turns out Ryo can stand on her own and still make it pretty interesting.
I thought she would've have too high standards for convenience store food, turns out I was wrong and she managed to make it sound delicious. Her trip down the memory lane was sweet. Best Grandma ;_;7

Not much else to say but this show still easily being the best show airing this season.
Wise words!

javac

That's how I've always seen it. The TV ending seems to be more centred around Shinji while EoE is centred on Asuka. The TV series is what's going on in his head while he comes to grips with everything while pandemonium ensues.

Go! Princess Precure - 01

Zfo1Hcu.jpg
z7ar1Qw.jpg

Seems like the right reaction to me. Ugly dog wannabe fairy.

So here I am back to watching Precure after I skipped HappinessCharge because holy shit fuck that one. Anyway besides Haruka's awful pineapple hairstyle I find her to be okay personality wise even if her dream is stupid to me. Fight scene was actually pretty good for a first episode fight scene so that's something positive there. Not sure I liked the CG during the transformation scene though.

/XX/

Hmm, there has been quite a debate about that... very open to interpretations, sure... but we can't deny evidence on how official promotional material defined it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123509897&postcount=2677
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123512207&postcount=2683

Branduil

AOTY voting has certainly reached the point where some kind of script/third-party website would be useful. It seems pretty unwieldy to manually count votes when there are something like 500 of them.

Jex

AOTY voting has certainly reached the point where some kind of script/third-party website would be useful. It seems pretty unwieldy to manually count votes when there are something like 500 of them.

Hmm, I can't really support an AOTY thread without knowing that a human is suffering.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like anime, it's meaningful because someone is suffering.

Joni

Hmm, there has been quite a debate about that... very open to interpretations, sure... but we can't deny evidence on how official promotional material defined it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123509897&postcount=2677
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123512207&postcount=2683

Interesting. Never knew about that. Still keeping up with my original interpretation, but I should really go after the manga once. See how that can influence my personal view. And of course, 3.0 and 4.0 could give us some extra info even if they don't seem quite related right now.

DiGiKerot

Kancolle - 03

Well, those
death flags
weren't for who I thought they were for.

Hahaha, the
death flags
confused me in this episode too, though in retrospect, it should have been pretty obvious as to what was going on - the sortie in this episode was based around the Japanese assault on Wake Island at the beginning of WW2, which is where
the real-life Kisaragi sank, the first Japanese ship to go down during the war.

It's one of those things which paints the show in a pretty weird light - whilst the show, in it's opening monologue, proclaims the characters as not being the actual war ships but "girls who inherent the souls of warships of years past", there's also a weird hodge-podge of details that both pin it as set in WW2 (like the way that horizontal text is typically written right-to-left[*] rather than left-to-right as it is these days) and things that'd be clearly anachronistic for the era. I'd have to imagine it's all a case of "having their cake and eating it", or at least them attempting not to appear quite as grossly ultra-nationalistic as they've often accused of being, but it does rather (presumably) accidentally suggest that this is one of those shows where warriors of the present day are forced to struggle to not relive the follies of the past. Is every girl going to face potentially sharing the fate of their namesake?

[*] This is where the whole
Zekamashi
joke from episode 4 comes from -
Shimakaze's name in Hiragana, written across Rensouhou's floatation ring, was pretty much the first place that text like this was exposed in the game, leading parts of the fanbase to call her Zekamashi either accidentally, or as a gag. In Kongou's case, though, she's from England, so she probably doesn't know any better than to read left-to-right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom