• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
How do I put this, Shaft has been very good at putting out Shaft products. They've streamlined their style to the point where many of their products are somewhat homogenous.

Thoraxes

ZZ6X8ABQDDG All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid Feb 3, 2015 Not Redeemed Yet

9VQVJYDTDVQ All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid Mar 5, 2015 Not Redeemed Yet

9KSRFWMCUB3 All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid May 1, 2015 Not Redeemed Yet

Gintama 18

Probably the first episode I really enjoyed. I wonder what that says about me.

Also I must say the episode titles in this show are great.

Over the top episodes such as these is what makes Gintama so enjoyable, it only gets better from there.

God I want to see your impressions on the episode where the old badass Shinsegumi leader is introduced.

Shin Mazinger Z - 8

I think Tsubasa may be my favourite character in this show so far due to her having personally known Dr. Hell.

That and Dr. Hell sees her as a legit threat due to her betraying him in the past. This episode definitely made her the most interesting character so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are some un-animated chapters across the series that could be used for Specials, otherwise it'll have to wait a few years for Ume-sensei to really progress the story after Sae and Hiro's graduation.
Yeah, I remember talking to Mandoric about this. I assume there will be another season to make out of Yuno's last year and her own graduation. Also a chance to introduce two new girls as well I suppose.

Shaft has pretty much been in the doldrums since 2011. There's a big quality gap between Hidamari Sketch/Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei/Bakemonogatari/Soredemo and Denpa Onna/Sasami-san/-Monogatari post Bake/Nisekoi/Mekaku City Actors.
Well, I feel like I'm clear on where I stand with Monogatari, so I'll just say that I think Sasami-san worked out well, and of course, Rebellion was art.

Honnestly i don't think there are that much nerd references in it. I don't think saekano is even worth it , if you watch it expecting a comedy . I don't remember laughing or smiling in the 4 eps i saw .. but i can say i enjoyed it despite that.

Earlier you used nozaki-kun as an exemple. ..nozaki-kun used clear anime/manga tropes and remixed it for comedic effects ..i mean it starts on a generic confession failure. The rest of the show is either good remixes in context or out of context or maybe the show putting itself in clear opposition in order to enhance the misunderstanding or the comic aspect.

Saekano does nothing of the sort... It doesn't even try to put his own spin on the generic anime tropes it uses.. i feel that it's not the point .All saekano has for itself , is blanter talk , talkbacks and the fact that they acknowledge out loud that they are doing nothing special.

Now having and visual novels references when the plot require the creation of a VN is kinda a given , the show uses it because at this point it's expected.
But at this point , given the medium , those light references are coming at full force on various anime, from steins gate to no game no life., d-frag , hayate no gotoku , nozaki-kun and the list goes on( basicly every anime featuring characters from our reality ).

You can fear this change , but as it stands , saekano is not going to set the world on fire , so i doubt it would have that much impact on the future , it's more like saekano is the result of the changes that happenned many years ago already
Saekano is perhaps loosely categorized as a romantic comedy with a harem, so it's not overtly trying to hit comedic beats, but it's trying to make the relationships between the male lead and the female leads amusing to watch.

My problem is when you have characters who exist strictly to make self-aware nerd jokes. Like in episode 2 or 3, the dude literally says the tired "I like 2d more than 3d" line to the boring girl and she just goes with it because he's a nerd and that's what nerds say. And you're supposed to find it funny because you're a nerd and you feel the same way, even ironically.

Maybe it's an age thing, where I've been able to see the rise of reference culture from its nascent beginnings to the peak of reference culture in games like Meme Run or The Lego Movie. Or god, even Ready Player One. It becomes like nails on a chalkboard at some point, because it never feels natural.

We've gone from white guys in a convenience store talking about whether or not Luke Skywalker should feel guilty about killing all those Stormtroopers on the first Death Star to people making jokes about how they make Star Wars jokes.

So many bases to capture and towers to scan maps with.
So many head tilts to collect.

shaft stans really need to watch shinbos earlier stuff and/or read this at the very least

After Cossette, Shinbo joined minor subcontractor Studio SHAFT. He and directors Tatsuya Oishi and Shin Oonuma teamed up and formed ‘Team Shinbo’. They intended to revamp the studio and train all of the staff in a single, distinctive directorial paradigm that mixed Shinbo’s, Oishi’s, and Oonuma’s styles together. Shinbo changed careers from a prolific storyboarder to something of a producer, managing the studio’s projects, training the younger talent, and coming up with the ideas that other directors put into practice.
I mean, even without being a staff whore, I could easily see this through the proliferation of the style in post-Shaft works.

It's the Hans Zimmer method of composing film scores, but applied to anime. lol

Quasar

SHAFT has been pretty terrible for a couple years now.

I've only seen Bakemonogatari and the stuff that followed, and I'd probably say its the studio I trust most to put out anime that I'll enjoy. Probably the only thing I didnt enjoy has been Sasami and I guess Madoka.

Certainly its one of a few who I'll try almost anything of sight unseen. Of course if I'm honest its mostly all monogatari as it seems we get a new installment at least once a year. So in some respects its hard to see them as anything beyond the Monogatari studio. Obviously that's going to have to change as they run out of material.

Akatsuki no yona - 14

Thank god this arc is over. it wasn't THAT bad , but it's the most boring arc for me ( even if the backstory was excellent ) , i really wasn't able to understand WHY the village was in such a mess for such a reason. it never clicked. everything ( aside from the blue dragon origins ) felt forced..

But it's over , finally the dragon got a name , the party gained a member , all is good.

Akatsuki no yona - 15

What happenned to the opening , i has a slow and pressing opening , made to show the weight to the journey , the tragicness of the events that unfolded so far, and everything got replaced by this ??

Feels weird... i might be able to tolerate this but... it's hard to. I can't even imagine if NHK did the same to the 12th kingdoms anime ....
Serious talk , if you have a PERFECT , good theme that fit the theme of the show , don't change it, this isn't a shonen anime !! 95% of the cast of akatsuki no yona has a tragic backstory that drag them down daily ..Out of place opening detected

This episode finally focuses on the new king .. the show really tries to put some grey on everyone actions ..it's obvious that we don't know yet everything on what happenned during this fated night in the king quarters but never i'll be able to buy that this takeover was for personnal gain... Anyway , new king focus time !! as we learn thathaving a good poker face is the most annoying weapon possible..lesson learned. thankfully the war game chapter is next , so i guess it'll be time for the action ( finally !! )

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 18

Another slow episode, though honestly I found myself enjoying it.

I like how the slice-of-life episodes in this show are involving some of the other side characters that we don't see too often. It helps give more substance to the show, rather than just have the four main girls just doing everyday things where we learn nothing and nothing particularly important happens.

Overall, this was a decent episode.

Haikyuu 12

I've been wondering why the character designs are reminding me of Durarara's in places, and of course it turns out that the anime character designer is the same in both cases - Takahiro Kishida. I tend to like his work.

This may be off subject, but...........

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk the Patriots won!!!!!😤😡😤

Just needed to let out some steam.

Astarte

Yoru no Yatterman 4

What a great episode. All of the cute and suffering is here in all of its glory!
Though this does bring up the question of
if they can go back and forth from the other side of the wall at will (like they did with Oda) then what was stopping them from sneaking around and getting medicine?

LNoNDHH.jpg

Also we got this glorious image. He is beautiful.

AnimeGAF, I'm so proud of you.

Thanks to the poll results, everyone will forever know that we collectively believed No Game No Life was a better anime than Silver Spoon.

Crocodile

I supposedly care about anime production and I can't get into Shirobako. The characters aren't as close to as interesting as the stock characters in Girls un Panzer.

Huh? Having finished Girls und Panzer recently I feel pretty confident in saying the entities that waltz around calling themselves characters in that show were barely anything of the sort. In its 12 episode run time, the show completely failed to make me care about any of them. They were more identifiable by their quirk or trope (REALLY into volleyball, triplets, etc.) than anything else. I mean I get you're not a fan of Shirobako and that's ok but no need to straight up lie :p

Blah blah KLK and Parasyte are too high but otherwise this is a VERY good list. I don't think there is much room to complain. I can feel good about pointing lapsed or curious animation fans to this list for recommendations. Thank you for all your hard work :)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'd go back through the list and do the AnimeGAF vs non-AnimeGAF vote tallies because everyone is always curious, but I just realized that I don't even visit the thread enough anymore to recognize some of the current regulars. Anybody picking up the torch?

Akatsuki no yona - 16

Excellent episode , they really nailed the war game and the king scheme was magnificent...

Next episode is the start of the BEST ARC ... can't wwait ...

I'd go back through the list and do the AnimeGAF vs non-AnimeGAF vote tallies because everyone is always curious, but I just realized that I don't even visit the thread enough anymore to recognize some of the current regulars. Anybody picking up the torch?

I think this thread moves too fast and has far too many people who post to really do that fairly unless you go super elitist and just pick who's votes you want to count.

Narag

I think this thread moves too fast and has far too many people who post to really do that fairly unless you go super elitist and just pick who's votes you want to count.

It's easier to exclude the votes of people who don't post in this thread, ~chu.

Mandoric

Banned
shaft stans really need to watch shinbos earlier stuff and/or read this at the very least

Slight nitpick, as I understand the To Fuyashi name is less a Shinbo pseudonym and more a SHAFT equivalent of Hajime Yatate. (Though of course -those- lines blur a bit with Shinbo as a sort of studiowide ersatz executive producer.)

I mostly agree with the general context, though. While I appreciate the "art of limited animation" focus of the coterie he wrangled, probably a lot moreso than most people who care about these kinds of things, there is at the same time something lost even if that envelope continues being pushed (which it hasn't particularly, now that it's in demand and mostly applied to long-running titles with no aesthetic reshuffles.)

Narag

Holy shit do I feel so fuckin bad for the JoJo fans. You guys got robbed by KLK, must be terrible. ��

The despair is strong.

JoJo was really just sort of functional last season. Adapted well but the monster of the week stuff goes on for a while. Last two eps of the Egypt arc are better than most of the eps last season and should only get better, ~chu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom