• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit do I feel so fuckin bad for the JoJo fans. You guys got robbed by KLK, must be terrible. 😫

The despair is strong.

I adore Jojo and its one of my favorites of all time and I like what I've seen of KLK, but its not really a big deal. Maybe I just don't take my anime rankings as seriously I guess.

Holy shit do I feel so fuckin bad for the JoJo fans. You guys got robbed by KLK, must be terrible. ��

The despair is strong.

I unironically enjoyed KLK more than Jojo. Went through like the first 7 episodes of Part 3 before I totally dropped it. Joseph > Jotaro. Ripple > Stands

Didn't vote for either of them though.

Narag

Doesn't it go on for pretty much the entire rest of the Jojo manga? At least that's what readers say.

I was mostly talking about Part 3 as I'm assuming it'll feel more serialized as we hit the Dio's World stuff as opposed to progression that's Stand of the Week + slight progression. I could be way off though, ~chu.

As long as it doesn't get too formulaic and the encounters stay entertaining/amusing/creative, there's no reason why it has to be.

JoJo probably does the best at that out of any series I've ever gone through.

Gets repetitive. Especially if there's no overarching story to make it all mean something.

Part 4 and beyond get better at having an overarching story. Part 3 is a lot like an SNES Beat em' up.

FluxWaveZ

Because it's boring the way it's done in JoJo this season. There's little sense of tension in many of the fights and the narrative just feels like it's in a circling pattern.

That's where I'm at, unfortunately. I really hope that this isn't some ongoing thing after Stands are introduced in Jojo's, because I really enjoyed Part 1 and Part 2. Battles have felt... less significant than they did previously because of the new format, at least for the first half of Part 3.

Grexeno

That's where I'm at, unfortunately. I really hope that this isn't some ongoing thing after Stands are introduced in Jojo's, because I really enjoyed Part 1 and Part 2. Battles have felt... less significant than they did previously because of the new format, at least for the first half of Part 3.
Don't confuse a lack of battles with battles being more important.

Doesn't it go on for pretty much the entire rest of the Jojo manga? At least that's what readers say.

To an extent. Part 3 (Stardust Crusaders) and 5 are the most linear parts in the series and follow the "monster of the week" thing pretty closely. Both of course have a main antagonist and endgame (laid out in the beginning with part 3), but it's still Stand of the week.

Part 4, while it does follow that formula to an extent, is much less linear as there's no "hero's quest" going on. It takes place in a single town and has some legit slice of life elements. It's pretty much the lowest-scale part in the series, but also the tightest and best IMO. Part 6 is a lot more linear, but not to the extent of part 3 and 5, with it similarly taking place in a single location (a prison).

Then there's part 7 and 8, which for better or worse, are all over the damn place.

That's what I've been getting out of it.

Because it's boring the way it's done in JoJo this season. There's little sense of tension in many of the fights and the narrative just feels like it's in a circling pattern.

Part of that is probably Part 3 being far longer then both of them in length, even combined. Every fight can't be like Tarkus vs Jonathan or Joseph vs Santana, because there aren't that many fights in those parts so they matter more.

I will say that I far prefer the fights in the Stand parts, although I wouldn't say any of my favorites are in the first half of Part 3, or that a lot of them are in Part 3 at all.\

It is very hard to talk about this series individually, as it's more like 8 different series then one continuous thing. You could really say it's only 3 series, I guess. 1-2, 3-6, 7-8

I'm totally fine with how part 3 is. It has a lot more of a laid back tone than part 1 and 2, and even though its a jarring transition when you also factor in why they're traveling into Egypt, once you accept that change in tone its just great fun and lots of laughs.

I never read the manga, but I have a feeling its gonna be more tense once Dio's World kicks in.

FluxWaveZ

Don't confuse a lack of battles with battles being more important.

I think that's actually how I see it here, at least it's part of the reason. There are just so many enemies in Stardust Crusaders that the series has become all about the battles, with absolutely no downtime or time for anything else like Joseph's training in part 2, or other analogous scenes. It's just fight after fight after fight, and I know what's going to happen: the good guys will pull through just fine in the end, despite how messed up they get during the battle. Even
Avdol came back from the dead

It's fun to see them puzzle out how to defeat their enemies, who all operate differently, but it doesn't make me invested in the general arc of the story, especially compared to how I was for Dio in Part 1 or for the Pillar Men in Part 2. It's not the same.

Jarmel

Banned
Part of the problem too is that the main villains in Parts 1 and 2 were much more proactive in interfering with the heroes.

I will say none of your complaints are really out there or disagreeable. Despite Part 3 being the defining and most popular (maybe) part, I think it's far less well received in the West, while Part 7 is the one I see people love the most in the West, that's one of the least popular parts in Japan.

I kind of want to say the way Stardust Crusaders is laid out is because it's a product of it's time, but I'm not really sure that's true, as it served to change Shonen fights to be more tactical and involving more trickery plus emphasizing unique, different and zany powers. At least that's what I've come to know.

sonicmj1

Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Woodo Arc

It'd be easy to talk about how fun this show is because of all the action, all the shots of dudes firing guns and then other dudes dying or exploding. Chirico is, by any definition, a total badass, carving a swath of destruction a mile wide through the corrupt cops of Woodo almost singlehandedly.

But what makes this show interesting and unexpected is that it's as much about Chirico's vulnerability as it is about his hard-boiled badassitude. The first part of this arc is really about Chirico trying to return to civilian life and failing. When things are peaceful, he can't communicate in any meaningful way with any of the trio that take him in. All he can do is focus on the mission he has taken upon himself to find the Prototype and get to the bottom of whatever conspiracy is after him. He can only really communicate when he's not a person. Whether it be as a faceless robotic monster inside his Scopedog, or as a soldier leading his "troops" as the police assault them, Chirico is only alive in battle. He's a broken human being, and the Prototype, equally broken, is the only one who can really understand him.

The final lines of this arc are revealing. As much as he has been trying to separate from his companions whenever they've wanted to cut and run, what he really wants is not to be alone anymore. But how can he say that?

I'm looking forward to Space Vietnam.

Thoraxes

I just like the variety of stands and encounters in Stardust Crusaders. I like how every encounter is different and I feel like I can never predict how they're going to get out of each ridiculous encounter with some crazy ingenuity. Every week I have this stupid smile on my face when the tables turn, and for me it's something I look forward to every week.

Moaradin

I will never understand the hate for battle of the week, especially how JoJo does it. Sure, it could get repetitive if it's done badly but JoJo clearly doesn't do that. The Stand of the Week format just showcases how creative and weird the Stands get.

I just like the variety of stands and encounters in Stardust Crusaders. I like how every encounter is different and I feel like I can never predict how they're going to get out of each ridiculous encounter with some crazy ingenuity. Every week I have this stupid smile on my face when the tables turn, and for me it's something I look forward to every week.

Exactly the same with me. Gives me something to look forward to on Saturday mornings since I work well into Friday nights. Almost makes me feel like a kid again with its "enemy of the week" and one part or two part episodes and I love it for being so different from parts 1 and 2, as much as I love those.

Clov

Wellp, glad Shirobako made it as high as it did, although it's a shame Mushishi wasn't there at all.

That was the biggest omission for me. Otherwise, I was very happy overall with how the vote turned out.

As for the Jojo's talk, the Oingo Boingo episode was definitely the best episode of Stardust Crusaders yet. Though personally I loved The Sun. Hopefully we see more ridiculous/incredible episodes in the Egypt arc.

Edit: My fiance and I are finishing off our rewatch of Hidamari Sketch x 365 right now. Noticed another bit of laziness on Sentai's part, which actually surprised me a bit; the opening for the OVA has different lyrics, but the subtitles are the exact same as the original opening. Incredible.

Edit 2: Never mind, this was completely wrong. I was so tired that I heard the song wrong.

Narag

As for the Jojo's talk, the Oingo Boingo episode was definitely the best episode of Stardust Crusaders yet. Though personally I loved The Sun. Hopefully we see more ridiculous/incredible episodes in the Egypt arc.

D'Arby gambling ep should be up there if it's even half as good as the OVA's version, ~chu.

Crocodile

I don't think the actual transition from Ripple to Stands was handled well and it still feels the rules for Stands are being made up as they go along but otherwise its been pretty clear so far than their introduction was for the best and hearing that they get better over time across the different parts is encouraging. I think it says something about how thoroughly the concept has infiltrated the anime zeitgeist over time with the memes and how the similar concept taken wholesale and resold in different IPS (cough Persona cough).

__________ of the week has never been a bad format as long as the battles are actually interesting and unpredictable and I think, for the most part, Stardust Crusaders has succeeded in that. There is no question that BT Joesph >>>>> Jotaro (or SC Joesph) or that PB Dio >>>>>> SC Dio (so far) and some of the details of the narrative are sloppy. Character balance could have been handled better too (Polanereff gets too much screen time for example and Joesph continues to get shit on). All that being said, I have been having fun with this part and I can't say I completely understand why others find it boring even while I'm cognizant of its flaws.

I wonder how opinions will change as we progress though.Though I'm still kind of hazy about what exactly happens next and how they happen, I've already had some major plot points spoiled by cultural osmosis. Some big shit goes down soon.

I don't think the actual transition from Ripple to Stands was handled well and it still feels the rules for Stands are being made up as they go along but otherwise its been pretty clear so far than their introduction was for the best and hearing that they get better over time across the different parts is encouraging. I think it says something about how thoroughly the concept has infiltrated the anime zeitgeist over time with the memes and how the similar concept taken wholesale and resold in different IPS (cough Persona cough).

No doubt, the change from Ripple to Stands is completely abrupt. Remember that the last chapter of Battle Tendency and the first of Stardust were in the same volume too. But it is for the best.

As for the rules, there appear to be at least some rules you can discern, but I can probably think of a time each one was broken across the Parts.
Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of that has been true forever is "Stands grow weaker the further they get from the user" although I'm probably overlooking one or two.

Grexeno

Ripple/Hamon couldn't have gone any further as a basis for a shounen fighting series without completely throwing out most of its established rules. Might as well just invent Stands which are magical do-anything-the-author-wants machines.

In other news I don't think this was posted, Ushio and Tora is getting an anime.

What's with the trend of old manga like Parasyte and JoJo getting adaptations out of nowhere?

I like it, full Berserk TV next plz

Awesome! Karakuri Circus anime next!

Looks potentially interesting. Anyone read the manga/watched the earlier OVAs?

It's straight shounen and a damn good one at that. The mangaka is consistently great with his other works too.

Edit: On second thought, I can't imagine this will be adapted super well considering how long it is. 1-2 cour would NOT do it justice at all. It's a fantastic series that deserves an almost full adaptation, and at 33 volumes, that's just not feasible even if some filler is cut out.

So I'm on Cross Ange ep 12 now. This anime is really good. I'm legit shocked

It's a real weird beast. I swear it's some kind of meta show where it starts out at the bottom of the barrel and then slowly climbs up to being actually watchable with good character arcs and mech designs going by the self aware next episode previews.

I'm inclined to agree about it being good

I don't know what to say about the state of mecha anime when Cross Ange is legitimately better then other attempts made in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom