• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I suppose I should not be surprised to see someone put it on their top 10. Even if I consider it offensive trash of the highest order, which I gave a legendary 1 on MAL that had previously only been reserved for Legend of the Overfiend.

How bad can that possibly be? It was the #1 seller in the UK!

Am I right in assuming End of Evangelion is for the (alternative/real) ending, and the 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are the show sliced up into movies?

EoE was Anno's way of literally trolling fans who didnt like the anime ending.
the Rebuilds are Gainax's way of trolling everybody.
they do have new footage and characters.

Rolling Girls 4

Continues the slower pace of the last episode, but there was a lot more to like this time around. Direction was snappier and there were some nice bits of animation. If it's like this going forward that's cool, although I'll miss the madness of the first two episodes.

Just a temporary lull before it goes nuts again most likely. The first two episodes were hype but shows cant really maintain that every single episode nor should they.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh? Having finished Girls und Panzer recently I feel pretty confident in saying the entities that waltz around calling themselves characters in that show were barely anything of the sort. In its 12 episode run time, the show completely failed to make me care about any of them. They were more identifiable by their quirk or trope (REALLY into volleyball, triplets, etc.) than anything else. I mean I get you're not a fan of Shirobako and that's ok but no need to straight up lie :p

I only really consider the five main girls of GooP to the primary characters of the show, and you basically know why each one of them act the way they do and what they have joined the tank club for. I don't disagree that they are simple, stock characters. But they're better than the job titles that the five girls (or whomever you would consider the main characters) in Shirobako.

Well, except for voice actress girl. The show doesn't care about her though!

Holy shit, those last 20 minutes of Madoka Rebellion.

I finally understand,

Homura did nothing wrong.
Homu Homu got robbed.

I wonder if it would have won if I just left Kaguya off my list entirely. I should have been more strategic. lol

cajunator

Banned
Nanoha A's 9

And here's that tense scene I was hoping for last episode.

Did...did Nanoha just become a badass?

So much bondage. :

Well shit. Insanity mode engaged.

This just got really interesting! Wait, there's still 4 more episodes? Holy crap.

This chart is accurate
cAisMBi.jpg

you are right where shit just got super real.
enjoy.

Sterok

Why are magical girl shows so rare nowadays? You'd think after Madoka there would be a surge, but nope. And what we do get is rarely good. Daybreak Illusion sucked. Wixoss was barely magical girl, and while that was good it burned out before the end. Sailor Moon Crystal is terrible, only worth watching because it's Sailor Moon. Yuki Yuna was good, albeit with a weak ending. And I love Precure but that has its own problems. But I have to stay with it because it's the only thing you can rely on to quench magical girl thirst. Figures that my favorite genre gets so little love.

Yatterman Night 04

This show continues to perfectly blend slapstick comedy and heavy drama with finesse I would never have expected it to have. I don't know what was up with the Monkeys though, I guess its one of those cultural things native to Japan. So with the evil General's introduction I'm suspecting that something must have happened to shift the rule of the Yatter Kingdom that probably has to do with whoever turned the moon into a skull.

That animation tho! It was so good during the fight between Tonzra and the general. The animation looked familiar too. I want to say maybe it was Yukata Nakamura, but its probably someone with a similar style.

cajunator

Banned
Why are magical girl shows so rare nowadays? You'd think after Madoka there would be a surge, but nope. And what we do get is rarely good. Daybreak Illusion sucked. Wixoss was barely magical girl, and while that was good it burned out before the end. Sailor Moon Crystal is terrible, only worth watching because it's Sailor Moon. Yuki Yuna was good, albeit with a weak ending. And I love Precure but that has its own problems. But I have to stay with it because it's the only thing you can rely on to quench magical girl thirst. Figures that my favorite genre gets so little love.

They arent that rare. You listed quite a few shows since Madoka. Good or not they do take some time to make and often have pretty significant animation requirements. I would actually say its one of the most difficult genres to get right.

Crocodile

I only really consider the five main girls of GooP to the primary characters of the show, and you basically know why each one of them act the way they do and what they have joined the tank club for. I don't disagree that they are simple, stock characters. But they're better than the job titles that the five girls (or whomever you would consider the main characters) in Shirobako.

Well, except for voice actress girl. The show doesn't care about her though!

I mean its pretty obvious who the main cast of Shirobako are so I'm going to have to guess you're being a bit disingenuous here :p Even if we isolate if to "main" cast vs "main" cast, the Shirobako crew still come out WAY on top in terms of characterization and relatability.

Maybe someday I'll understand what people see in Girls Und Panzer. Maybe.

Sterok

Kill la Kill is magical girl? I guess kind of, but you really need to stretch your definition of a MG show to make it fit. Robot Girls Z maybe, but I only watched a bit of that. Maybe I should finish it.

Ooh, someone just watched Madoka Rebellion. Those reactions are always my favorite.

I mean its pretty obvious who the main cast of Shirobako are so I'm going to have to guess you're being a bit disingenuous here :p Even if we isolate if to "main" cast vs "main" cast, the Shirobako crew still come out WAY on top in terms of characterization and relatability.

It's an entertaining sports show/Saki clone with compelling combat scenarios. I don't think there is much hidden about what people like about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I mean, I guess I should ask I suppose. The anime makes it look as if the five girls at the very beginning of the show are the ones we should care about. They conveniently work in distinct positions in the anime industry and this lets the show go through all aspects of production in the show as they make the show within the show. Miyamori is positioned as the "main" character, like Miho in GooP, but I assume that her friends are the other ones we're supposed to care about and not the other job title characters (director, key animator, whatever).

If that's not the case, then I don't even understand why they would even have the five girl framing device in the first place.

It's an entertaining sports show/Saki clone with compelling combat scenarios. I don't think there is much hidden about what people like about it.
GooP is Yoshida when she writes comfortably in her wheelhouse (friendship, family, mono no aware). Apparently Shirobako is more like her Majestic Prince work. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only proper way to have a fair AotY is make everyone watch every show. Good luck with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She had like a whole 3 scenes with her speaking so far.

Definitely a contender for best anime of the season.
lol

I think the sad part of the three most distinct voices being put out to pasture is that there really isn't anyone to have come up and replace them.

Thoraxes

lol

I think the sad part of the three most distinct voices being put out to pasture is that there really isn't anyone to have come up and replace them.

There have been a few newbies to watch as far as the more unique voices go, but they stopped after only 1 or 2 roles. I used to have a list somewhere I think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There have been a few newbies to watch as far as the more unique voices go, but they stopped after only 1 or 2 roles. I used to have a list somewhere I think.
Not that I watch as much, but I really can't think of any. lol
I guess Kana Asumi is the most notable for having the best anime girl high pitched squeaky voice.

Why are you including Sawashiro? She's still getting roles.
I mean, she went from being the lead role in MLP Japan to whatever scraps she gets now. She's in the twilight of her career, I imagine.

Good thing that didn't happen. Would have been lame for SHAFT cash-in film to beat Takahata's masterpiece.
Kaguya's my number 2, and I understand hyperbole, but Only Yesterday is really his best film. Even if he denies wanting to work on it. lol

Crocodile

I mean, I guess I should ask I suppose. The anime makes it look as if the five girls at the very beginning of the show are the ones we should care about. They conveniently work in distinct positions in the anime industry and this lets the show go through all aspects of production in the show as they make the show within the show. Miyamori is positioned as the "main" character, like Miho in GooP, but I assume that her friends are the other ones we're supposed to care about and not the other job title characters (director, key animator, whatever).

If that's not the case, then I don't even understand why they would even have the five girl framing device in the first place.

No those are the "main characters", I think I just misunderstood you. That being said, Shirobako also succeeds in making you give a shit about some of the ancillary cast in addition to doing a better job with the main cast.

I get that on a theoretical level. I just didn't enjoy my time with the show at all :(

It's the same thing people see in Gundam Build Fighters ~chu.

But that show is good (IMO of course)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Look, a quick glance at Miyuki Sawashiro's Wikipedia profile will show that the number of roles she's taking on hasn't really dried up recently. She's the official voice of Fujiko Mine, for goodness sake. Her career is far from over.
It's legacy roles and minor characters though. I mean, the other thing that people don't really consider is that voice actresses still have to sell their properties outside of voice acting, and at some point you can't really put older actresses in school girl uniforms and ask them to trot out on stage and sing some bad insert songs for a concert that caters to nerds who will pay hundreds of dollars to shake hands with a woman.

Waiting for her to voice Jolyne in the Part 6 anime
Which one assumes they have to use based on the game at least. It'll be the only Jojo I watch when it happens.

It's legacy roles and minor characters though. I mean, the other thing that people don't really consider is that voice actresses still have to sell their properties outside of voice acting, and at some point you can't really put older actresses in school girl uniforms and ask them to trot out on stage and sing some bad insert songs for a concert that caters to nerds who will pay hundreds of dollars to shake hands with a woman.

Firehawk is that guy from the Shirobako casting meeting.

Thoraxes

Unless it's this old lady of course:

O97UyTC.jpg

Yukari Tamura, age 38. Will be 39 this month.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 77:

Okay, on the one hand thank the heavens that this stupid god damned break up is over and done with but on the other hand fuck that noise to begin with. I get what the overall idea was, to show how strong the bond between Usagi and Mamoru really was but the problem is we already spent a season on the shit and at best this was pointless redundancy and at worst it was mind numbing tedium and is pretty much what this whole episode was even if TOEI hadn't unleashed one of their spoiler filled episode titles. Of course they were going to get back together because that was the only end result and the laughable attempts and melancholy melodrama could not have fallen flatter if they tried. The was no drama, no insight, no nothing from this turdburger of a sub-plot and the worst thing of all is some asshead thought this mountain of iron pyrite was weet enough to mine for SIXTEEN GOD DAMNED EPISODES! In short. hugest recommendation to avoid and indeed this one has been one of the true lowlights of the season.

Westlo

Why are you including Sawashiro? She's still getting roles.

yep lol... 2015 will at least have...

Durarara!!x2 Shou, Celty Sturluson
Kaito Joker 2nd Season, Queen
Lupin III (2015), Fujiko Mine
Durarara!!x2 Ten, Celty Sturluson
Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Revolutions, Nanami Haruka
Persona 3 the Movie 3: Falling Down, Elizabeth
K (2015), Seri Awashima
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu, Celty Sturluson
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, Crowley Hamon

+ Monogatari and whatever else she gets casted as.

Nothing stops this train.
TGNz0rC.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom