• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yona of the Dawn 17

Everyones subordinates in this anime are so great. They love their leader so much that I end up just loving every leader too. Real nice.

Also the psycho pass lady being in this historical AU is such a good fit, love her voice.

Sölf;150802121 said:
The first movie has the worst CGI, but I though it wasn't that bad. It mostly used during the war scenes when the big armies clash (and during some fights), but most of it is still drawn.

But if you want to do yourself a favor, don't watch or read any of Berserk. It won't do you any good.
Because you will just crave for more and in your heart you know that the manga will be still ongoing when you are dieing.

Oh it's too late for that. It happened roughly a month ago. However, I just looked up the dates of the last manga releases and understood that there's no reason to care, and so I don't! I'm not having the slightest bit of hope or expectations when it's bound to take several additional decades at this pace. (Also it kinda outstayed it's welcome in some regards already. Sure, I'd like to see the overarching story come to and end, but everything else? Eh...not really any more.)

This.

41384289znubi.jpg
985ed556zlu8w.jpg

Is not okay.

I can't even joke around cause I was eating a chicken sandwich when that sweaty bastard appeared.

The talented director Mamoru Hatakeyama/Shinichi Omata's (Rozen Maiden 2013/Sankarea) next show has been revealed, and it has pretty neat subject matter. Mieko Hosoi on character designs too. Excited!

The subject matter is interesting and Hatekayama/Omata/whatever else he goes by could make even really bad material interesting, so this is very exciting. The cast is pretty killer, too.

Accepting the risk of being yelled at, I just started getting into anime. Could somebody give me a rundown of what I should be watching. I just finished Knights of Sidonia and obviously I've seen Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist. So yeah, thanks.

Well, there's about four to five decades worth of stuff worth watching out there. If you want to watch some newer stuff:

Ping Pong (GAF's Anime of the Year last year, and a very distinct series visually)
Space Dandy (either dubbed or subbed)
Fate/Zero (very solid action series)
From the New World (one of the best sci-fi anime ever made)
Hyouka (very down to earth and focused on mundane life, but extremely well polished in every facet of the show)
Bunny Drop (one of the most heartwarming shows you'll ever see)
Flowers of Evil (it's a very strange looking series, and slow paced, but genuinely creepy. It's the sort of show that will give you bad flashbacks to middle school and make you feel like you're drowning with every episode)

for older/essential stuff:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (basically defined an entire generation of anime. make sure to watch the original series, not the movie remakes)
Cowboy Bebop
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Card Captor Sakura (the definitive magical girl series. It's 70 episodes, but very much worth every minute of it)
Yu Yu Hakusho (another longer one, but it's good, and I would be dishonoring my user name if I didn't at least throw it out there)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (very heavy on the symbolism. undeniably one of the most interesting and unique shows ever made)
Nana (great music, and very intense character drama. probably the definitive show of normal people just living a normal life and going through real life shit)
Eureka Seven (dude, it has surfboarding robots and a group of hippie revolutionaries)

I left off Tomino stuff because I love him, but he isn't to everyone's style, and some newer stuff like Shirobako and Madoka Magica I think would have a bigger impact on you once you have more anime under your belt. I also left off the super long shows, but if you ever want to get into some of these 500+ episode behemoths One Piece and Detective Conan come highly recommended.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - 05

The one eyed owl and most of centipede Kaneki was cool, I like it when he goes bananas. But one moment he's eating a corpse/armor and the next he's getting rekt and crying. Eh. Muh emotions.
I don't really feel emotionally attached or invested in many characters, so these somewhat tragic experiences does not do much for me. Especially regarding these newly introduced ones with little meat on their bones. Dat finger crack doe, bring back Jason or bust.

So after the recent recommendations for me...

All these made a pretty good first impression.

Ai Yori Aoshi - 01

Rather cliché but well executed and cute opening episode. Also: do shows actually get away with 'more' when displaying boobs without nipples? As in, better timeslots? Talking full frontal chest nudity, with just the nipples missing.

Tonari no Kaibut - 01

Rather funny premise and MC so far, though that Yoshida guy is hard to take seriously as a character. It's well enough for the first episode I just hope his actual background and development will explain his wacky character. The episde has a great ending with this little s.th. you so rarely get in anime: a kiss!

Nodame Cantabile - 01

Got little to say yet, definitely a solid start (and no high school!).

Kareshi Kanoyo - 01

That first episode had really great direction. First episode mirrors that of Tonari no Kaibut quite a bit with both female MCs trying their hardest to best the other brilliant mail student and manages to do so narrowly, just to then have some big realization.

Accepting the risk of being yelled at, I just started getting into anime. Could somebody give me a rundown of what I should be watching. I just finished Knights of Sidonia and obviously I've seen Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist. So yeah, thanks.

Free! and Free! Eternal Summer are must watches as they offer the most definitive drama in animation today.

If you liked Knights of Sidonia, then you must enjoy science-fiction, and thus must give the anime, [K] a watch as, while not taking place in space and is grounded on Earth, it offers an incredible narrative on societies response to crime with the looming threat of an apocalypse. Guilty Crown fits this as well and thus is one to watch to.

I would suggest watching Haikyuu!! as well which is the premiere sports experience available today. Its volleyball but it is extremely fantastic developing every character and being awesome focused sports action.

And if you like Mecha, I would suggest experiencing Valvrave, a mecha series that redefined the genre. With its deep and surprising storytelling complemented by fast paced gorgeous action and particle effects and the pursuit of truth, it was an unforgettable anime experience of recent times. The same can be said for Buddy Complex, which came only a few months after it but further altered the mecha landscape. Of all the anime Ive seen, these two have done a fantastic job of putting anime storytelling on the level of the best of the best of human writing since time immemorial.

Fafner is a good mecha to watch to. Really great designs, tight writing and music, and just plain intense. And lastly Star Driver, another mecha at the top of its class. Good school life drama and music.

Clov

Free! and Free! Eternal Summer are must watches as they offer the most definitive drama in animation today.

Alright, maybe I'm taking the bait here, but this is hyperbole like no other. I loved both seasons of Free; they were cute, silly and well animated shows. Frankly, the drama in Free is the weakest part of the entire experience; the less there was in any given episode, the better the actual episode was. If you're looking for a great drama anime, Free is not what you're looking for!

If you want a great sports anime with drama, there's always Ping-Pong, Gaf's AOTY! As far as other drama titles go, I'm very fond of Paradise Kiss and Wandering Son. For a more psychological drama, there's Flowers of Evil. There's many more of course, and this is excluding movies; but in terms of drama you can get much, much better than Free!

The Tokyo Ghoul MC really is one of the most unlikable MCs I've seen in a long time. Not unlikeable in the way School Days Makoto is unlikeable, but more in that there's no reason to root for him as an MC. Like go back to the cafe people, they were far more likeable than this winge minge. Makoto at least was the reason to watch School Days, this guy is not the reason to watch Tokyo Ghoul.

Curse this need of mine to watch something I start to the end.

Kaneki is a very likeable, well written, and one of the best MC's I've seen in a manga. So it's the anime's fault for making Kaneki disconnected to the audience or unlikeable. So don't see this series as a whole as a badly written story because the anime screws up a lot of things.

I'd advise you to read the manga,

Alright, maybe I'm taking the bait here, but this is hyperbole like no other. I loved both seasons of Free; they were cute, silly and well animated shows. Frankly, the drama in Free is the weakest part of the entire experience; the less there was in any given episode, the better the actual episode was. If you're looking for a great drama anime, Free is not what you're looking for!

If you want a great sports anime with drama, there's always Ping-Pong, Gaf's AOTY! As far as other drama titles go, I'm very fond of Paradise Kiss and Wandering Son. For a more psychological drama, there's Flowers of Evil. There's many more of course, and this is excluding movies; but in terms of drama you can get much, much better than Free!

From my experience so far on watching Free, I agree with you so far. It's pretty good for everything but the drama which feels very petty and forced. It's still worth a watch though, very enjoyable!

Mr.Jeff

Samurai Flamenco - 01
If I wasn't aware of how famous this show becomes due to episode 7 I think, I would not be continuing after this episode. Masayoshi's obnoxiously strict adherence to rules and laws combined with his irritating obsessive fixation for heroes makes him a pretty unlikable character even if he is a cheerful fellow with someone good ideas enforced in a misguided way.

Gotou's character feels like a necessary inclusion for viewers to empathise with as he becomes more acquainted with Masayoshi.
The final concluding scene felt very reminiscent of Kick-Ass which I imagine has already been said and even here it feels as out of place in reality as it did there.

Harakiri Man's special move is a little disturbing as well...

cajunator

Banned
I hope they find a way to celebrate her via the character, but I wonder how. I guess with Persona 4 Golden, they just reused voice recordings from the actor who did Igor, so maybe they could do that?

Yeah, it doesn't really feel like it's doing anything with the fact that they are doing a magical girl show with guys that is specific to the gender swapped ideals anyway. They are using the specific beats of that kind of show, but it feels like it is played straight.

I hope Tom Brady beats your favourite team next year!

This is the community that thinks Nozaki is better than Sabagebu. They just don't understand.

Hmmm. I dunno. Sabagebu was REALLY fun and pretty funny. Momoka is such a dick but I loved her.

I'll do you one better. If you want to watch a show about girls playing with airsoft guns, don't watch Sagebu, watch C3bu instead.

No dont. C3Bu is not nearly as good.

Inou-Battle episode 1 - 2

Strong first episode weak second one. In any case of all the chuuni series definitely the one with the best leading protagonist. Such creative writing (though if only someone went with Jet Black (perhaps Saiki Kusuo will be animated someday :( [not a flash one]))

Mirei makes it better

:D
It just cant help getting cuter can it?
Cant remember the last time I looked forward to episode previews so much!
I think it might have been as far back as Popotan because of Unagi

this gif is incredible as well as useful

Anime Limited have expressed interest in releasing a cheaper version of the Gundam Origin Blu-ray maybe next year, and they are also looking into getting the rights for more Gundam releases for the UK, and have stated that 2016 will be a big and interesting year for releases.

Also,

Also, some new box-art

Seeing Saikano again is nice (as nice as a soul crushingly depressing anime series can get) but why still DVD? I already have it on DVD :(

Would be weird when they didn't stream it?

Trying to get people's hopes up here, eh? :p

Yeah its basically dead. Doubtful we will hear anything of it again.

Samurai Flamenco - 01
If I wasn't aware of how famous this show becomes due to episode 7 I think, I would not be continuing after this episode. Masayoshi's obnoxiously strict adherence to rules and laws combined with his irritating obsessive fixation for heroes makes him a pretty unlikable character even if he is a cheerful fellow with someone good ideas enforced in a misguided way.

Gotou's character feels like a necessary inclusion for viewers to empathise with as he becomes more acquainted with Masayoshi.
The final concluding scene felt very reminiscent of Kick-Ass which I imagine has already been said and even here it feels as out of place in reality as it did there.

As the series goes on, that actually ends up becoming my favourite thing about Masayoshi. Though, I won't say why though.

In any case though, it begins. =D. Enjoy the ride.

I'll try and finish Railgun tonight so I can get started on Mushishi either tonight or tomorrow.

Shin Mazinger Z - 12

Ahahahaha at Baron Ashura trying to Pilder On Mazinger Z.

Man oh man does life suck for it. Dr. Hell was willing to sink it along with the ship so the island wouldn't be discovered and the guy ends up taking the whole thing in stride. I mean, not until after he takes his anger out on Brocken first, but still!

Samurai Flamenco - 01

Do you dislike justice?

Shirobako 17

Hiraoka is a massive asshole and I simply cannot wait for it to come back to bite him in the ass and Aoi has a part in firing him.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - 05

Much better than the previous episode,
kanekipede
looks amazin' now.

Regarding the censorship.............well no comment.

Tuck

Samurai Flamenco - 01

He becomes more likeable even before episode 7.

I am not a suspicious character!!

Fafner: Exodus Episode 5

Really great fighting from the third year class. Yuki Kaji's character is the best of the bunch. I loved how the third year class made everyone else alright with retiring. I just hope we get a situation when new and old can fight potentially.

Mr.Jeff

Do you dislike justice?
I dislike the overly simplistic view of justice; namely slavishly adhering to rules without leniency. It works in a utopia fantasy world of a masked hero anime series but in reality it fails to work. While the argument he directed towards the kids was apt, it still rang false enough for them to dismiss it.

Also I dislike obsessive people like Masayoshi who prattle on about minutiae of their hobbies in real life. It shows a lack of awareness of perception in how other people react; if they're not inclined to be interested, they won't be interested.

In any case though, it begins. =D. Enjoy the ride.

I'll try and finish Railgun tonight so I can get started on Mushishi either tonight or tomorrow
No particular rush! I rely on the overhanging guilt of a watchbet to enforce people to finish them even if it takes 6 months or a year.

Plus a lot of people find Mushishi difficult to marathon. I don't know how since it's such a compelling watch I tend to blast through it in 1 or 2 sittings.

This might be because yona doesn't even see hak as a potential love interest .... She hasn't let go of that hairpin after all..

My gut tells me they wont end up together at all. He will just "protect" her forever and keep his distance. I think Yona will probably just fly solo.

Soo Won is a pretty cool dude though, minus the stabby times.

evangelion:Another Impact (Animator Expo)

Kinda neat. Not sure if it's own thing or related to the series at large
the ending shot kind of looked like the 3.33 World
because this is a new Evangelion model (or Another Number?) called Unit Null.
Good to see they still think conventional weaponry is worth a shit on Evas

I think this captured how fucking massive Evangelions are pretty well.

Some people will probably hate how this looks though. Kind of Hollywood-like.

Midonin

Mission-E 01-03

That's one of the more drastic shifts in genre I've seen between two closely related anime. Going from a love story with superpowers, dealing with loneliness and science, to a police procedural of sorts with Chinami, though more outspoken, now donning a skintight powersuit and fighting criminals. I'm not opposed to trying new things (I liked Xenoglossia, mostly!), but the gap between Code and Mission is pretty large. Maori's more aloof compared to Chinami's shyness back in Code, but she also lives in a world that understands the Type-E phenomenon better and is willing to help her. Maybe this season will finally reveal just what the Foundation's plans actually were.

The translation is also a little spotty in places, and gets the ending theme lyrics completely wrong, but I've dealt with much worse. Wondering if it was Sakaki who thought up transitioning the world of the show from Kotoura-san to Zettai Karen Children, or if this is covered in the tie-in novels that remain in Japan.

You know I've never really thought about reading the manga but I think I'll give it a go this time around

Oh for the love of all that is holy do it, you can even find the chapter of the last actual chapter the anime covered (the beach/island trip I believe) and continue from there. The manga actually introduces more characters and more situations. And it gives a lot of focus to best girl. Plus like I said the ending is great and decently conclusive for a story like this.

Nagi no Asukara - 26 [End]

Man,
Miuna
got robbed. I was half expecting a
lesbo
ending because of a last few interactions near the end. It had some pretty interesting characters and one thing this show did well for the most part was character development.
I liked the decision to implement a dramatic change halfway through, it made things rather exciting again. While I think they could've made something more out of it, I was still content with what was offered.

On the other hand, like I've mentioned before, this show has more tears and crying than anything I have ever seen before. They went overboard with it to the point where I just started rolling my eyes. This led to situations that actually could've been reinforced by it, in turn felt straight up powerless.
There's also the fact that majority of the characters run away from situations all the time. You fell on your knee? Cry and run away from everyone. Someone slightly misinterpreted your words? Cry and run away from everyone.
Besides these points and a few.. forced dramas and questionable writing decisions, I enjoyed it to the end. Though I suspect the beautiful art had a strong impact.

tl:dr; Pretty good romance drama with good character progression, it has some flaws, looks amazing, Uroko best girl.

Just watched the series and this is pretty much perfect summarization how I also felt about the series. Cringed during the drama several times but maybe I have just become so numb for anime drama across the years that I still enjoyed the series.

My gut tells me they wont end up together at all. He will just "protect" her forever and keep his distance. I think Yona will probably just fly solo.

Soo Won is a pretty cool dude though, minus the stabby times.

No this will change , the only question is WHEN .. it's just not anytime soon , since yona still need protection from Hak , once the balance of power ( she will be able to defend herself ) and her charisma ( more arc = more allies across the land) will go up , it'll be time for the dynamic between Hak and yona to break to implement this.

Meanwhile Su Won is indeed a cool dude and i can bet that his characterisation will take yet another turn ( as we saw those last 2 eps ) since it' obvious by now that he isn't a power hungry dictator ..that make his betrayal another piece that will surely influence both yona & Hak when the time comes.

I have a problem with yona as the red dragon reincarnation... in the legend he dies and i hope this won't end in tragedy.

Saudades

As it's my sworn duty, I'm going to have to warn KingKiller that the Berserk movie trilogy has pretty terrible CG animation in many fight scenes (as NaDann pointed out, almost PS2 quality terrible), and recommend that they instead watch the original 90s TV anime of Berserk. There's controversy over how the TV version ends, but personally I liked it. I found it fitting, actually. Anyway, the point is that the TV anime is way better than the movies.

As much as I don't like CGI in anime and what they did with the Berserk film trilogy with the CGI hybrid thing, I can't find myself recommending the TV series version either. The TV series has really pretty art, I give it that, but the animation is just really not up to par. Maybe my expectation were too high but I felt really disappointed watching the series after I watched the trilogy, because as bad as the CGI was, at least it has some... movement. And also the TV series has a lot of censoring, and not the lightbeam-stuff-until-bd censoring kind of today, they just left the stuff out entirely. I'm not trying to promote gore in anime or anything but that really takes the fun out of Berserk.

Oh for the love of all that is holy do it, you can even find the chapter of the last actual chapter the anime covered (the beach/island trip I believe) and continue from there. The manga actually introduces more characters and more situations. And it gives a lot of focus to best girl. Plus like I said the ending is great and decently conclusive for a story like this.

I prefer the manga ending as well, although I think some of the characters went a bit too crazy, especially
that guy from the last arc

Shirobako 17

9i1xKlx.gif

Another fantastic episode. Hiraoka sounds like an anti-social dick. Hope Miyamori wins him over. Tarou was actually pretty funny this episode. "Run in the train so you move faster!" Hah. What a Tarou thing to say.

The girls' outfits are on point. I like how they occasionally change clothes and they're all stylish. Good to see Zuka again. She finally got colored in the ED theme so maybe something good will come her way soon?

I've always wondered: when do the OP/ED themes for anime get selected? Who decides those and when? They seem really expensive to make like PVs and often times the visuals match the song so it doesnt seem like something that gets chosen whenever.

I also loved the PV for Aerial Girls. I like how a PV in an anime about anime is better than the PVs for most real anime this season. Would totally watch and make posts on GAF about it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Koufuku Graffiti 4
That feel when you know that Ryou grandmother learn how to cook...
Badass cashier is such a good guy.
I'm hungry for some chinese food, and i learn a new way to eat Onigiri.

Yoru no Yatterman 4

It still good. General is a dick though, and Yatterman pose are probably not good for pregnant woman. Just sayin.

Junketsu no Maria 4

Priapus really want the D. Give the poor owl a dick please.

Stardust Crusader 28

Polnareff have a secret move he love to brag about (Not even Jotaro know about it!). I laugh during Anubis killing a group of people.

Anybody using animu phone backgrounds? I'm not image editing savvy whatsoever but I MS Paint-shop'd these two wallpapers into phone backgrounds for my S4 and I'm liking their look quite a lot.

C6wMHOx.jpg
wEZ2eZt.jpg

*Not actual sizes, just didn't want a long image bothering people (even with quotes)

Saekano - 04

Lol @ this episode ... all thos talk of planning and everything when you don't have money nor music or the most important someone who can program that visual novel

This sure is a project that will meet a good end . Obviously !

Lol less of 6 months of dev time ? lol, double lol, triple lol

Unless you have a pipeline ready and well oiled, no way you can produce a product like in less than a year.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 22

Oh...man. Wow, I...wasn't expecting it to go that way.

I thought for sure that director-lady was going to go full-on evil for a second there and say that she'll sacrifice the children to save Academy City. Instead she's actually trying to co-operate in saving them without the poltergeist effects happening.

There's still two episodes left though, so I'm sure there's gonna be somebody (or some thing, going by the first half of this show) playing the role of a last-minute villain for one more big fight scene.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 22

I thought for sure that director-lady was going to go full-on evil for a second there and say that she'll sacrifice the children to save Academy City. Instead she's actually trying to co-operate in saving them without the poltergeist effects happening.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 23

WELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom