• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 17:

I didn't think I would hate somebody more then Tarou but that editor needs to be thrown off a balcony and quickly.

Shirobako 17:
Funny story. The editor is still a dick.

I have to say that the scene of Kinoshita flying through the sky in his mind was flat out hilarious. This episode had a lot of good comedic moments like that. Aoi's continued maturation as a leader is nice to see. She's really stepping up and providing a good example for Andou and Satou. She might even manage to whip Hiraoka into shape, but let's not hope for miracles or anything. It was nice to see a little bit of Zuka again, and her brief bit in the episode was nice as she had something of a learning experience.

Hopefully putting the PV together hasn't sidelined the production too much. They've only got about six weeks left until the show starts airing.

phaze

Manga fans were just nitpicking the anime at that point since it apparently wasn't following the manga anymore, but, in the end,
it seems like the manga pretty much is heading to a less rushed version of the same conclusion, with a few tweaks here and there (and one arc entirely skipped by the anime).

I guess he's talking about how
Mine doesn't die in the manga, she's just left unconscious and out of the remaining battles.

Mine doesn't die, she goes into a coma or some shit, she's a vegetable.

Yup. In order save Tats she attacks the General and overloads Pumpkin and is able to kill the General solo but it causes her to fall into a coma. Then there's Tats getting poisoned by Dorothea, Najenda riding to the rescue on the danger beast and

Ahh alright thanks. Anime route confirmed superior. :p I'm quite okay with this. Weakest character by far both design and personality wise. Though I suppose I missed a bit of characterisation early on.

just the way the whole fight in the stadium goes down.
I did find the stadium situation subpar both in regards of what goes down there and from the execution standpoint. Felt like they run out of budget at times.

The problem with akame ga kill is the way it handle each situation , not the outcome.
It's not just a matter of if a character is dead or not ... it's more about what the character does or doesn't on screen that make the anime VASTLY INFERIOR.
The last part of the anime killed the momentum of several characters and moved to resolve as much plot as possible , even if it doesn't make sense , even if the answer is freaking asspulls out of nowhere , or things that act out of character for the sake of it.

In the anime everything that made the characters , "characters" disapeared in order to make everyone fights in order to solve problems when akame ga kill made clear that this wasn't a viable option before. That's sucks

I agree.
The coliseum fight was just much better in the manga.... much better esdeath , but better tatsumi , better mine. Heck even the one that died before that point had better arcs and better time to make them revelant/intresting .

screw this rushed mess.

I can certainly agree with asspulls but its the kind of show where it didn't even bother me that much. lol

jman2050

Shirobako 17

Aria's color scheme is gross and Sweden is clearly best Aerial girl.

This show has really hit its stride in its second cour. Director-san remains moe, Honda gets buff (proving how working in animation is bad for your health), Aoi mentors the new folk, Zuka shows a talent in stage performance, and Tarou is still a total jackass. Really great stuff going on here.

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 17
That asshole editor! Someone murder him please. This time forcing the company to make a preview in a very tight schedule.

This time the focus is on the newer characters and Miyamori and Ema mentoring and encouraging them. Well, still Hiraoka remains a problem though. It also shows how much of a sunk time previews can be.

Beefeater

Banned
I don't know much about this Parasyte thingamabob, but I wouldn't call Madhouse terrible when they did a fantastic job at Hunter X Hunter 2011!
Nah, can't agree with that.
Madhouse is amazing shut your mouth. They gave me Redline AND Supernatural anime
Sure, they used to be a great studio. Haven't you noticed how much they've declined in recent years, though? Dried up funds and the NTV takeover killed it, all that remains is an empty shell. If it weren't for the government funded Anime Mirai, they'd be stuck making only safe, half-assed manga adaptations like HxH and Parasyte.

The talented director Mamoru Hatakeyama/Shinichi Omata's (Rozen Maiden 2013/Sankarea) next show has been revealed, and it has pretty neat subject matter. Mieko Hosoi on character designs too. Excited!
Interesting. I've been looking forward to this show since I discovered the OAD on the spring chart. Deen has me worried, but it seems they've been going through an upheaval since SHAFT staff migrated there. This director is one of those SHAFT talents. I'm loving the character designs also, and the source material seems like something special.

What did you guys think about Rozen Maiden?

Midonin

Saekano 04

Megumi's lack of presence is kinda reminding me of Akari over in Yuru Yuri - especially with how she never said a word until the end of the planning scene. I also enjoyed the parts with Utaha, because I can sympathize with the writers. As far as (Producer Arms!) MISTER EEEEEETHICAL goes, from what I can tell, the show seems to be saying that his idea of creating a VN isn't a bad thing, but that he's got his head too far up his own ass to make it happen. Plus the way Megumi shoots him down all the time invites the reader to sympathize with her a bit, too. I'm actually enjoying it, because it's kind of the opposite side of the coin from Shirobako's production process. The largely rigid world of companies and the freewheeling world of amateur work.

Puruzi

Banned
Ahh alright thanks. Anime route cofirmed superior. :p I'm quite okay with this. Weakest character by far both design and personality wise. Though I suppose I missed a bit of characterisation early on.

m6fhwzO.png

We are enemies.

Midonin

April 16

I know it's from a book Kaori was reading, but that last line... I also notice that Kousei, while not being as harsh about it, seems to be channeling his mom a bit when he's lecturing Nagi on how to play the piano. Best to keep that in check.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Accepting the risk of being yelled at, I just started getting into anime. Could somebody give me a rundown of what I should be watching. I just finished Knights of Sidonia and obviously I've seen Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist. So yeah, thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Accepting the risk of being yelled at, I just started getting into anime. Could somebody give me a rundown of what I should be watching. I just finished Knights of Sidonia and obviously I've seen Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist. So yeah, thanks.
The next real shounen-ey/action-ey thing that is on my radar is Gintama next season. I'm not even sure if there's anything that fits that bill airing at the moment.

Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
Hunter X Hunter 2011
Fate/Zero
Baccano!
G Gundam
Code Geass
Eureka Seven

Some excellent shows here to get you going. Welcome!

Narag

This begs the question: did you like any of those three? ~chu

phaze

We are enemies.

*from the Night Raid at least. Plenty of more of similarly and more awful characters in the show as a whole.

Any genre you're particularly interested ?

Off the top of my hat;

Fate/Zero - Judging by the titles you listed, should be right up your alley.
Also:
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica

Slow paced and dark:
Texhnolyze
Shigurui
Serial Experiments Lain

Edit: Have you seen both FMA's ?

Branduil

Shirobako 17

Another strong episode, this time about being forced to make a quick PV. Remember the poor animators and production assistants the next time you see one!

Feels like the antisocial new guy is going to screw things up sooner or later. That or get fired, which would be pretty impressive considering the same studio employs Tarou.

KingKiller

Neo Member
This begs the question: did you like any of those three?

Actually yes. I loved FMA and KoS and I thought Attack on Titan was pretty good. A lot of the series felt like needless filler to me.

*from the Night Raid at least. Plenty of more of similarly and more awful characters in the show as a whole.

Any genre you're particularly interested ?

Off the top of my hat;

Fate/Zero - Judging by the titles you listed, should be right up your alley.
Also:
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica

Slow paced and dark:
Texhnolyze
Shigurui
Serial Experiments Lain

Edit: Have you seen both FMA's ?

I have seen both. And I guess I'd really be interested in anything that's well written. I probably won't watch anything over like three or four series as I'd like to diversify my taste in general.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Tokyo Ghoul MC really is one of the most unlikable MCs I've seen in a long time. Not unlikeable in the way School Days Makoto is unlikeable, but more in that there's no reason to root for him as an MC. Like go back to the cafe people, they were far more likeable than this winge minge. Makoto at least was the reason to watch School Days, this guy is not the reason to watch Tokyo Ghoul.

Curse this need of mine to watch something I start to the end.

Actually yes. I loved FMA and KoS and I thought Attack on Titan was pretty good. A lot of the series felt like needless filler to me.

Do yourself a favor and go watch the Berserk: Golden Age Arc movie trilogy. It's CG animation but the action and story is great.

qFMYF3p.gif

thank me later.

Also as said here's the usual Woof pimping of Fate Zero
0DqtWMy.gif

Ignore the sequel of FZ though (aka ignore Fate Stay Night... though who knows you might like it)

Shirobako 17

3e15f4f902.jpg

Those shoes are the mark of the devil this guy is Lucifer confirmed

Pretty sure editor guy was added to make Tarou look like a good human being.
Director is the best character, I hope the super shy timid girl becomes better.

Everybody shut up with your bad opinions over Madhouse and watch the Persona 5 trailer so we can agree on 2015 RPG of the year. And I say this as a huge Witcher fan.

LOOK AT ALL OF THAT SWAG FROM PROTAG.

Looks great, glad they decided to give the protag a personality this time

cajunator

Banned
KiraraGuy sounds a bit weird, like obsessive levels.

I haven't come up with a suitable name yet. Mainly because I want to retain Kirby.

Otherwise it would be like Kiraraby or KirarabYuuYuu or some shit.

Just go back to Kirbyguy. Its getting too complex.

So I was checking ANN for news and I see an advertisement for Gurren Lagann and what recommendation do I see in the corner?

"From the creators of Kill La Kill"

uq9HSph.gif

Of course they would market using the more recent example, as it is at this point better known by people currently into buying anime. The older crowd has largely moved on and GL might not be as familiar to the new people.

Those fancy gifs convinced me to start watching Princess Precure. What am I in for as someone who has never seen a Precure show?

Lots of merchandise marketing and cuties and elaborate transformations and CG dancing.
Oh and really terrible monster designs.

Challenge accepted

Oh no...

Shit, I guess it's time to stop resting on my laurels

What have I done?

GAF, I have come to ask you the most important question:

"Survival Strategy!" or "Yuri Approved!"

SEIZON SEN-

FYI for peeps who ordered Ben-to from Rightstuf:

I sent them a tweet asking why it hasn't shipped yet and they looked into it for me. Basically Funi only just shipped them the lot and they hope to have it in stock by the end of the week to ship out to customers.

To completely oversimplify it: it's because
she's a real lesbian.

Agreed!

"Yuri Approved!"
gao gao~
is better, but SEIIIIZOOOONNNNNNN SENRRYYAAAAAAAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU is way more fun to shout as loud as you can.

what BEAR said.
Also good news for Ben-To...I think.

ROCK OVER JAPAN is better than whatever the bear trials are trying to do.

I find it funny.

Yeah its hard to top Rock Over Japan. It was fucking amazing.

Was he banned because of waifu talk or bad taste?

One of my friends looks like Rise. red hair, twintails and everything.

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 17

Another strong episode, this time about being forced to make a quick PV. Remember the poor animators and production assistants the next time you see one!

Feels like the antisocial new guy is going to screw things up sooner or later. That or get fired, which would be pretty impressive considering the same studio employs Tarou.

Shirobako 17

Pretty sure editor guy was added to make Tarou look like a good human being.
Director is the best character, I hope the super shy timid girl becomes better.

Yeah, I can't believe I am saying this, but the other shitbags make Tarou look okay.

Do yourself a favor and go watch the Berserk: Golden Age Arc movie trilogy. It's CG animation but the action and story is great.

qFMYF3p.gif

thank me later.

I've heard it's PS2 quality CGI though...

Well, I haven't seen that trilogy because of it, but the TV version of Berserk is great, apart from containing very little animation you know :/

Hellraider

The talented director Mamoru Hatakeyama/Shinichi Omata's (Rozen Maiden 2013/Sankarea) next show has been revealed, and it has pretty neat subject matter. Mieko Hosoi on character designs too. Excited!

I just want to take this chance to say how much I loved the Sankarea adaptation. This guy took a turd for a manga and turned it into a great, sometimes even amazing, anime.

How is the Rozen Maiden series? I was thinking of getting into it just because he did the last season.

Narag

I just want to take this chance to say how much I loved the Sankarea adaptation. This guy took a turd for a manga and turned it into a great, sometimes even amazing, anime.

How is the Rozen Maiden series? I was thinking of getting into it just because he did the last season.

First ep is suspect as it's a ton of materials compressed into 24 minutes as setup and the ending is a little out there but everything in-between is excellent, with the early episodes highlighting the main character's isolation being some of the finest anime I've ever seen, ~chu.

I've heard it's PS2 quality CGI though...

Well, I haven't seen that trilogy because of it, but the TV version of Berserk is great, apart from containing very little animation you know :/

It's not that bad. The first one is the most awkward looking, but if you can watch say Ronja (current anime) you can watch this. Fights are actually animated here and they're awesome.

Clov

qFMYF3p.gif

thank me later.

Also as said here's the usual Woof pimping of Fate Zero
0DqtWMy.gif

Ignore the sequel of FZ though (aka ignore Fate Stay Night... though who knows you might like it)

As it's my sworn duty, I'm going to have to warn KingKiller that the Berserk movie trilogy has pretty terrible CG animation in many fight scenes (as NaDann pointed out, almost PS2 quality terrible), and recommend that they instead watch the original 90s TV anime of Berserk. There's controversy over how the TV version ends, but personally I liked it. I found it fitting, actually. Anyway, the point is that the TV anime is way better than the movies.

I can vouch for Fate/Zero, though. It's a pretty great action series. Worth your time if you're looking for something like that.

phaze

The Tokyo Ghoul MC really is one of the most unlikable MCs I've seen in a long time. Not unlikeable in the way School Days Makoto is unlikeable, but more in that there's no reason to root for him as an MC. Like go back to the cafe people, they were far more likeable than this winge minge. Makoto at least was the reason to watch School Days, this guy is not the reason to watch Tokyo Ghoul.

Curse this need of mine to watch something I start to the end.

<Obligatory read the manga, anime sucks remark>*

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 05

We had inverted colours, light rays, black rays ... Now introducing ... a simple blur censorship ! Please be excited.

Better than the previous episode but still poor. The person who thought ending every single episode with a sappy english song is a good idea needs to be thoroughly slapped.

*It's true though. His actions make more sense there though he still makes some dumb decisions.

Durarara!! X2 04

Damn, Ikebukuro must look like a madhouse if you are one of those greyed out passerbys. You got Ancient faeries and unstoppable girl idol serial killers duking it with a bunch of 80s delinquents along side a Russian assassin dressed like a mummy.

I really should have rewatched Season 1 because I'm having trouble remember who was who, what organization they fought for, what their motivations were, etc.

Sölf

Mhh.. would like to see some properly animated fights actually. Eh, I'll probably check the movies out.

The first movie has the worst CGI, but I though it wasn't that bad. It mostly used during the war scenes when the big armies clash (and during some fights), but most of it is still drawn.

But if you want to do yourself a favor, don't watch or read any of Berserk. It won't do you any good.
Because you will just crave for more and in your heart you know that the manga will be still ongoing when you are dieing.

Narag

Sölf;150802121 said:
But if you want to do yourself a favor, don't watch or read any of Berserk. It won't do you any good.
Because you will just crave for more and in your heart you know that the manga will be still ongoing when you are dieing.

I'm pretty sure we'll all outlive Miura, ~chu.

As it's my sworn duty, I'm going to have to warn KingKiller that the Berserk movie trilogy has pretty terrible CG animation in many fight scenes (as NaDann pointed out, almost PS2 quality terrible), and recommend that they instead watch the original 90s TV anime of Berserk. There's controversy over how the TV version ends, but personally I liked it. I found it fitting, actually. Anyway, the point is that the TV anime is way better than the movies.

I can vouch for Fate/Zero, though. It's a pretty great action series. Worth your time if you're looking for something like that.

GOD DAMMIT CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom