• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Akame ga Kill 9-24

Well this was a thing. And I watched more than a half of it. So I suppose it was not all terribly terrible and actually somewhat digestible ? I dropped it after the first two episodes for a myriad of reasons and truth be told, I don't think the show ever really improved on most of them, so I guess I just managed to get used to them. I'll give it some points for the overall edginess which is something I usually crave in shows like this. AgK reminds me a bit of Lost Canvas in that respect though it managed to thankfully be less predictable and repetitive in killing off the characters(They even have their own
Saggitarius cloth out
of fucking nowhere.). The constant, unrelenting meat grinder brought some tension to the otherwise vapid fights though I can't say that,
Chelsea's demise excluded
, I felt anything during the death of any character. The last fight was pretty decent and the show ended with the story coming to an end in a logical place, without any giant cliffhangers or unresolved plots. I think I remember manga readers being pissed of by that ending but to be honest I didn't see any giant cliff, from which the story and writing might have fallen off in those last 4 or so episodes. It remained pretty constant. (That is poor.) It's by no means a good show, I wouldn't even call it okay or decent but ehhhh I think I simply managed to accept it for what it was early on and learned to just roll with it.

Esdeath sucks.

fertygo

Well, I'll just hope he'll get jailed for his crimes.

Concerning the Shiki anime, am 10 episodes in and this sure is another one of those snail-pacers.

The slow pace part of Shiki is my favorite part of Shiki, the 2nd half pacing is the exact opposite.

And the chara design rox :D

Jarmel

Banned
Really? Of all episodes this is something you'd tag this ludicrous tag to?

Murano remains a poorly developed character, sure, but she didn't play much of a role this episode.

Tamiya was obviously in the focus point of this episode and how am I supposed to take the second quote seriously when she just destroyed 3 other 'male' (they're all parasites, they just take over the body, let's not forget that) parasites with relative ease. Her transition into a more human being has also been pretty steady and is neither badly written so far nor is attachment to her baby a bad thing to go help this process. Had she immediately 'lost her edge', as you say, upon birth of the child, perhaps you'd have a point, but eh, even then that doesn't sound like anything offensive. But nothing like that even happened in the first place.

So sleeping on it, I realized my problem isn't Reiko in this episode but her arc altogether. It's fairly clear early on, the moment the audience realizes that she's keeping the baby, that her arc will consist of her becoming more human, in terms of emotions. Using parenthood, in her case motherhood, as a tool of softening a character has been utilized to death. So as a result, this episode does make sense in terms of logical character development, however if she dies next episode then it also comes off as an independent female being killed due to her newfound human, or more specifically 'motherly' emotions. You also can't say that it's a natural instinct for a mother to protect her offspring, mainly because she passed no genetic material to the child and also due to how calculating the Parasites are in terms of their actions.

This in conjunction with Murano and Kana's dogshit writing left me in a particularly foul mood and I have really no inclination due to previous episodes to have faith in the writing on a female standpoint. I mean the previous episode literally had Murano chasing people around and magically being in the most unfortunate place at just the right time.

Beefeater

Banned
however if she dies next episode then it also comes off as an independent female being killed due to her newfound human, or more specifically 'motherly' emotions.

I dropped this show back during Christmas. Badly written and directed.

That said, I don't see how the quoted would be a problem. So what if her human side manifests as motherly emotions? Where's the offense?

Akame ga Kill 9-24

Well this was a thing. And I watched more than a half of it. So I suppose it was not all terribly terrible and actually somewhat digestible ? I dropped it after the first two episodes for a myriad of reasons and truth be told, I don't think the show ever really improved on most of them, so I guess I just managed to get used to them. I'll give it some points for the overall edginess which is something I usually crave in shows like this. AgK reminds me a bit of Lost Canvas in that respect though it managed to thankfully be less predictable and repetitive in killing off the characters(They even have their own
Saggitarius cloth out
of fucking nowhere.). The constant, unrelenting meat grinder brought some tension to the otherwise vapid fights though I can't say that,
, I felt anything during the death of any character. The last fight was pretty decent and the show ended with the story coming to an end in a logical place, without any giant cliffhangers or unresolved plots. I think I remember manga readers being pissed of by that ending but to be honest I didn't see any giant cliff, from which the story and writing might have fallen off in those last 4 or so episodes. It remained pretty constant. (That is poor.) It's by no means a good show, I wouldn't even call it okay or decent but ehhhh I think I simply managed to accept it for what it was early on and learned to just roll with it.

Esdeath sucks.
Considering what has happened in the manga now this adaptation has retroactively gotten worse since it aired and I didn't think that was possible.

Jarmel

Banned
I dropped this show back during Christmas. Badly written and directed.

That said, I don't see how the quoted would be a problem. So what if her human side manifests as motherly emotions? Where's the offense?

It first off comes off as something rote. The other issue is the only female with an IQ above 100 in the show is going to be killed primarily because she's a mother. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, as a parent dying for their child is fairly basic, the problem is the context inside the show in that it feels as if a woman couldn't control her emotions.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh yea I tried the 2nd episode for Magical Highschool Boys. Did nothing for me. I also wouldn't say that it's slice of life of whatever.

It first off comes off as something rote. The other issue is the only female with an IQ above 100 in the show is going to be killed primarily because she's a mother. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, as a parent dying for their child is fairly basic, the problem is the context inside the show in that it feels as if a woman couldn't control her emotions.
I agree on a lot about female writing here but this particular instance I can't. other parents on the show have shown self sacrifice when it comes to their children, and it's the same in reality, I wouldn't say it's particularly meant to be taken as "women can't control their emotions" as much as "a parent might choose to sacrifice itself for its creature" which was discussed during a
the college lecture that she herself went to and that would be the thing that got her. just because Murano is shit it doesn't mean others are crap by association.

Jarmel

Banned
I agree on a lot about female writing here but this particular instance I can't. other parents on the show have shown self sacrifice when it comes to their children, and it's the same in reality, I wouldn't say it's particularly meant to be taken as "women can't control their emotions" as much as "a parent might choose to sacrifice itself for its creature" which was discussed during a
the college lecture that she herself went to and that would be the thing that got her. just because Murano is shit it doesn't mean others are crap by association.

I definitely agree that just because one character is badly written doesn't intrinsically mean all the other characters are badly written. However it does come off as callous to a degree that the only decently written female's arc is one exploring her as a mother.

Crocodile

I can sympathize with your frustrations over the general level (SHITTTTTTT) of writing for female characters in this show and it does suck that the only actually good female character on the show might die soon but dying because you thought it would be better to put the needs of another person over your own isn't a weakness. It's not a weakness even if you're related to them or not. It's a feature of many successful species, not a bug and the fact that she understands that puts above most of the other parasites.

I will also say, something that's become more noticeable over time, is that the parasites aren't particularly smart - its just that most of the human characters on the show are STUPID. They make it a previous obvious point that Shinichi & Migi > almost any individual parasite. If Shinichi was like a trained solider (instead of a average high school student), and thus wouldn't need Migi's battle tips as much, he probably could have rofl-stomped most of them by now :p

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 119

Miyabi learning how to use social media makes for some cute moments, but most of all, I realized in the course of this week just where I'd been hearing Sakura's VA. Her role was never super huge in Aikatsu, but right now, the heir to the Kitaoji Theater has also been voicing Megumi over in Saekano. And doing a good job of it. I'm warming up to these new Starlight girls pretty quickly - but I'd prefer more Juri over more Miyabi. And even more so, am wondering when the big midseason dance number is going to come.

phaze

Considering what has happened in the manga now this adaptation has retroactively gotten worse since it aired and I didn't think that was possible.

Mind spoiling me ?
Did they kill off Akame or something ?

Flowers of Evil 06

001068zpes6.png

Best friends forever.

I have to say Kasuga's constant inner monologues are starting to grate me. They're probably necessary to maintain the tension and to give the viewer access to his inner thoughts but the stupidity at the display is astounding sometimes. "Is Nakamura really giving us her blessing ? She's a nice person after all. " No, you demented moron, after 6 episodes of her tormenting you, you should have known better than that.

Poor Saeki is stuck between a psycho pervert as her boyfriend and just a plain psycho bent on playing around with the two of them. I do not envy her.

NeonZ

Akame ga Kill 9-24

Saggitarius cloth out

Esdeath sucks.

Manga fans were just nitpicking the anime at that point since it apparently wasn't following the manga anymore, but, in the end,
it seems like the manga pretty much is heading to a less rushed version of the same conclusion, with a few tweaks here and there (and one arc entirely skipped by the anime).

Mind spoiling me ?

I guess he's talking about how
Mine doesn't die in the manga, she's just left unconscious and out of the remaining battles.

Puruzi

Banned
Mind spoiling me ?

Flowers of Evil 06

Best friends forever.

I have to say Kasuga's constant inner monologues are starting to grate me. Their probably necessary to maintain the tension and to give the viewer access to his inner thoughts but the stupidity at the display is astounding sometimes. "Is Nakamura really giving us her blessing ? She's a nice person after all. " No, you demented moron, after 6 episodes of her tormenting you, you should have known better than that.

Poor Saeki is stuck between a psycho pervert as her boyfriend and just a plain psycho bent on playing around with the two of them. I do not envy her.
Mine doesn't die, she goes into a coma or some shit, she's a vegetable.

I definitely agree that just because one character is badly written doesn't intrinsically mean all the other characters are badly written. However it does come off as callous to a degree that the only decently written female's arc is one exploring her as a mother.
How is exploring a female character's role as a mother misogynistic?

Mind spoiling me ?

I guess he's talking about how
Mine doesn't die in the manga, she's just left unconscious and out of the remaining battles.
Yup. In order save Tats she attacks the General and overloads Pumpkin and is able to kill the General solo but it causes her to fall into a coma. Then there's Tats getting poisoned by Dorothea, Najenda riding to the rescue on the danger beast and just the way the whole fight in the stadium goes down.

The manga's handling of all that is just so vastly superior I cannot view the anime as anything but an extremely disappointing adaptation that is borderline trash if not for the first 2/3rds of it.

Jarmel

Banned
How is exploring a female character's role as a mother misogynistic?

I feel like it is when it puts the person in a disadvantageous state and the individual is somewhat punished for it. Gravity for example was about a mother but her overcoming the tragedy of losing her daughter and becoming stronger as an individual for it. Kill Bill had the Bride using her daughter as a driving force for her revenge and while Bill somewhat used that to his advantage, the Bride overcame her weaker position and took her child back.

Well that's an issue with circumstance. She happens to be the only decent female character because the other recurring females in the show are all part of the harem. The author seems to have had this storyline for her lined up from the beginning as the intelligent Parasyte who from the beginning was producing an experiment as to learn about humanity and parasytes, one such experiment being getting pregnant with a human child. Again I say this comes down more to Parasytes being more intricate than any of them expected. Migi and Tamura are easily the two more inquisitive Parasytes of the ones introduced. This is just meant to showcase that the lecture by the professor that 'love doesn't exist' and that 'living beings only seek to further their DNA as an underlying motive' are being put to the test. I think it's more foreshadowing to that other than 'the only decent female is written off'. Shinichi's mom is a good character as well and she is a protective mother.

I understand that you're trying to argue that the only strong female in the show will most likely die due to becoming a parent, but that shouldn't have to be seen as sexist. Strong female character doesn't necessarily mean she has to be kicking ass 24/7, just how well she's written and as far as this show goes I'd argue that an alien life form that takes over a female human body eventually learning that they aren't as logical as they expected and possibly sacrificing herself for the child she made isn't sexist.

I feel like it is when it puts the person in a disadvantageous state and the individual is somewhat punished for it. Gravity for example was about a mother but her overcoming the tragedy of losing her daughter and becoming stronger as an individual for it. Kill Bill had the Bride using her daughter as a driving force for her revenge and while Bill somewhat used that to his advantage, the Bride overcame her weaker position and took her child back.

The issue here is that in both of those instances I can assure you the mother didn't have to choose between kicking ass and saving their child. ANY decent parent in this world would choose their child's safety over their own, and most hardcore people who become parents do become softer be it male or female. And like I stated above a woman can be strongly written or non-sexist in multiple fashions, including circumstances dealing with motherhood.

But that's not what has happened in Parasyte. If anything Ryouko is shown to be smarter and superior to her fellow parasytes thanks to the humanity she has gained. Motherhood hasn't been made out to be a weakness, her entire arc so far suggests the opposite.

Jarmel

Banned
But that's not what has happened in Parasyte. If anything Ryouko is shown to be smarter and superior to her fellow parasytes thanks to the humanity she has gained. Motherhood hasn't been made out to be a weakness, her entire arc so far suggests the opposite.

I disagree, that's never been implied to be the case. She's always been established as being smarter than the other parasites due to whatever genetic variance. Even before becoming a mother, the 'A' incident showed that she was highly intelligent.

The issue here is that in both of those instances I can assure you the mother didn't have to choose between kicking ass and saving their child. ANY decent parent in this world would choose their child's safety over their own, and most hardcore people who become parents do become softer be it male or female. And like I stated above a woman can be strongly written or non-sexist in multiple fashions, including circumstances dealing with motherhood.

I'm not disagreeing with the notion that self-sacrifice for a child can be poignant, there are many examples across all mediums where that works. I feel like the problem is that in the show, she is the only female that acted intelligently and somewhat rationally and that this rational process was degraded by her becoming a mother. It's the context. I'm fully aware that this doesn't degrade the quality of writing in regards to her as an individual, the increased emotional state however does stick out especially due to how poorly handled the rest of the females are.

Beefeater

Banned
I think the real problem with Parasyte isn't its female characters: It's all of the characters. The writing is just plain shoddy in many places. Maybe all of these tropes it uses weren't as trite when the manga was published, but they've aged badly and the execution doesn't transcend the material.

They had so many years to fix things for the adaptation, too. It's a waste, but what can you expect from Badhouse?

Jarmel

Banned
I think the real problem with Parasyte isn't its female characters: It's all of the characters. The writing is just plain shoddy in many places. Maybe all of these tropes it uses weren't as trite when the manga was published, but they've aged badly and the execution doesn't transcend the material.

They had so many years to fix things for the adaptation, too. It's a waste, but what can you expect from Badhouse?

When did the manga come out anyway?

Mr.Jeff

"Movie" could be as short as 40 minutes here though. Just because something gets a theatrical release these days doesn't mean it's not just a glorified OVA.
This is true. I forgot that something like Into the Forest of the Fireflies Light is technically classed as a movie and that's pretty short.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is true. I forgot that something like Into the Forest of the Fireflies Light is technically classed as a movie and that's pretty short.
Meanwhile, Tamayura was announced as a movie trilogy, which makes me assume that it's 3 OVA length things. lol

I refuse to believe that we aren't getting Hachi at all this season.

I REFUSE, you hear me?
Well you can hope for a few seconds of screen time i guess.

Akame ga Kill 9-24

Saggitarius cloth out

Esdeath sucks.
The problem with akame ga kill is the way it handle each situation , not the outcome.
It's not just a matter of if a character is dead or not ... it's more about what the character does or doesn't on screen that make the anime VASTLY INFERIOR.
The last part of the anime killed the momentum of several characters and moved to resolve as much plot as possible , even if it doesn't make sense , even if the answer is freaking asspulls out of nowhere , or things that act out of character for the sake of it.

In the anime everything that made the characters , "characters" disapeared in order to make everyone fights in order to solve problems when akame ga kill made clear that this wasn't a viable option before. That's sucks

I agree.
The coliseum fight was just much better in the manga.... much better esdeath , but better tatsumi , better mine. Heck even the one that died before that point had better arcs and better time to make them revelant/intresting .

screw this rushed mess.

I thought the Supernatural anime was garbage. It turned out okay?.

It was? I loved it. It basically took the best stories of season 1 of Supernatural and adapted it into anime form so unless you think Supernatural is garbage, which if you do you're wrong as it's garbage FOOD (aka potato chips), then it's not.

mJvaFzL.gif

SAM-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

r46mUpM.gif

DEAN-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Also the ED is what you expect, and it's manly as shit

Pretty much. To me Parasyte has a great core in Shinichi, Migi and Reiko but outside of these, the characters are mostly poorly written, disregarding the gender. Sure, Murano and Kana don't have much going for them, but neither do Kana's wanna-be boyfriend and the detective.

Jarmel

Banned
It was? I loved it. It basically took the best stories of season 1 of Supernatural and adapted it into anime form so unless you think Supernatural is garbage, which if you do you're wrong as it's garbage FOOD (aka potato chips), then it's not.

mJvaFzL.gif

SAM-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

r46mUpM.gif

DEAN-KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Also the ED is what you expect, and it's manly as shit

I haven't seen it but I heard a lot of negative stuff when it came out.

Midonin

Shirobako 17

I haven't been able to shake the idea from my head for the past few weeks. Andou kinda looks like GG's Suzie. Also, the PV for Aerial Girls was pretty interesting. The art style looks more like something I'd see in a visual novel, with the wild hair colors and highly specified designs, but the military stuff looks about as gray-and-camo as I'd expect. It's a curious contrast that I'd no doubt be trying to read something into every week. I'd still watch it, though. I also noticed in the margins of the magazine an ad for the My Harem is Falling Apart, But I Might Just Be Imagining It anime, which has not only aired, but is now releasing its home videos. Shizuka's stint as Plum Piggie gave me memories of [REC], in a good way.

Looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 4
So no one actually tries to kill ghouls now? I mean like yeah, they are not PEOPLE WHO HAS KILLED MANY OTHERS AND IS ALSO CLEARLY SUPER FUCKING IS VERY KEY FIGURES OF WHATEVER THE NAME IS OPERATIONS LATELY.

Fuck this shit, I am out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom