• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Flowers of Evil 08
0010835kuta.png

I don't think I can quite follow the train of thought of the main trio. Especially if Saeki
will be okay with the truth about Kasuga,
which seems to be the case at the end of this episode.

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 05

Seeing everyone's idea of what they would do for their concert was a nice look into their personalities. The way Rika is acting really are casting the Jougasaki sisters as two halves of a whole Miki. It was a cute episode, but the most important moment of the episode happened a few minutes in for me. Shizuku Oikawa not only had a minor bit of fanservice, she also gained an official voice actress. Newbie Yuri Noguchi, and I hope this means that a CD single for Shizuku is going to come out at some point in the future. Last year, No-Rin's Yoshida was a good substitute for Shizuku, but the real thing is even better.

Give Chika Yokoyama and Hikaru Nanjou roles in this show, and I will love it forever. The main 14 may be the focus characters, but it looks like they're doing their best to work in as many of the popular idols as they can, and Shizuku's presence proves that. The day looks a little brighter, wrapped in happy- *ow*.

It goes back to the main couple throughout the series, and those moments are well worth putting up with the rest.
Its a cute story of friendship on the side too. Its quite more intelligent than the typical harem show. Kaoru and aoi are a lot older than the typical harem leads too so they have a different perspective on things.

Yeah I just don't know if that's enough. The characters don't really feel genuine to me, which is no surprise considering abundant use of harem tropes (so much groping and falling *sigh*, as well as everyone kind of wanting MCs dick). It started of well in that regard but just got worse and worse. Even the moments Kaoru and Aoi do have together lack variety and just like things I've seen before a million times.

I'm enjoying it less with each episode, so I'll discontinue.

NaDannMaGoGo, out of curiosity, have you seen Kino's Journey, Gunbuster, and TTGL?

Because if you're looking for recommendations then I'd wholeheartedly recommend all three of those.

e_i

GA 01

Making art is difficult.

There's all kind of pictograms, poster paint food and uh... chickens.

Hm... Not sure about this show yet. Hopefully it gets better.

Yes. Do watch it. It's worth it. If you've seen Sketchbook and Hidamari Sketch, then it's a must watch. You'll learn about art!

NaDannMaGoGo, out of curiosity, have you seen Kino's Journey, Gunbuster, and TTGL?

Because if you're looking for recommendations then I'd wholeheartedly recommend all three of those.

Am not really looking for general recommendations, was just asking some time ago about shows where a couple's actually really in a relationship BEFORE the show is about to end anyways.

That aside, I have seen Gunbuster and TTGL but they aren't favorites of mine. I'm just not into the mecha genre in general and so, even these two were well done, they still didn't do much for me. TTGL's constantly quickly-rising scope was rather great though.

GA 02

Even choosing the right pencil is hard :p

Tomokane has a strange dream thanks to Noda, Kisaragi got Gods pencils and there's 200% more orange drinks.

Heh... It's a much much better episode than the first. This one is actually funny.

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 17

Just because I can see the flags being raised in the distance doesn't make it any less heartbreaking when it actually happens. Dammit, show. I was riding off the good vibes from Cinderella Girls and you go and do this to me.
Leon losing his surrogate family, and Lara especially...
I was going to say I was enjoying the second half, because these introspective episodes are good character-building pieces, but just... damn it all. Leon, rise up and become a Makai Knight of Justice once more!

Rhapsody

Banned
KimiUso 16

The whole "these kids are talking in words that you don't expect kids to" is becoming more apparent because of you guys :|

In all seriousness, I'm just going to expect the rest of the anime to be like this. Just teasing the viewers and foreshadowing what's to come.

Dennou Coil 1-2

So this ended up being a bit more playfully exaggerated than I originally expected. Its introduced a world where Augmented Reality eyewear is common place and everything from one's ability to call people to the street light displays to one's virtual pets are tied into the overarching interface of the world. It flirts a line between what a distinctly SciFi future reality where AR is everywhere would like with what seems like a more light hearted fantasy adventure. Virtual dogs, floating keyboards, and gesture based phone calls exist in the same space where people are combining the external personification of a "bug" in the system and creating hacking/magic cards. I can accept that the cards could be programs and the overall "effect" (shooting lasers, creating literal walls) are more likely the AR just trying to personify the workings of the program into the real world but the SciFi fan in me wants me to try to break down the individual elements into what is "actually" happening behind the scenes of any given event (What are the roles of the AI pets in the grand scheme of things and in what sense do they 'exist'? At first I was thinking that the pet was just an avatar meant to interface with protagonist's glasses but it seems that only the pet in and of itself was effected when the virus latched on. Where is the pet being 'stored' in all of this and what exactly was infected? Things like that.)

But I'm absolutely enjoying the show so far, cant wait to see what direction they're gonna take it.

Garo - 17

It was bound to happen I guess. Was still sad to witness.
RIP in pepperoni Lara, Grandpa and Dog ;_;
But this makes me wonder, whats with the image we see in the ED with rapier arm Leon and Lara? Hmm, might not be her I guess.
Great Leon episode, great episode overall really. I haven't watched any Jojo yet but I believe this is ORA.

Death Parade - 05

Ah, a nice break from the episodic content. That was the first really interesting episode to me thanks to the introduction of more characters and some new details to others as well as the inner workings of that place.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Garo 17

I had a feeling she would die but didn't expect it would be so soon, the red herring was strong with this. Really good episode overall, especially the first half.

Death Parade - 05

Nona is yet again showing why she's the best. About time they start introducing all these characters.
Overall, decent episode I think, may not have been the most exciting episode but it added a bit mystery and fleshed out some things. That's one rad pool table though. Also dat Castra.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 29

The fight was great, I didn't really remember Anubis being anything special in the manga. Maybe a bit of tonal whiplash at the end as it went from a tense fight to comedy but it's expected.

Can't wait for the next two episodes.

Quasar

Ai yori Aoshi is a heartfelt series but REALLY maddeningly inconsistent. when Aoi and Kaoru are together its good. Its very VERY good. but when its trying to be a harem, it is just mediocre and aggravating. not that I dontl ike the other characters, because they are actually really great and Enishi even goes further into their stories which makes you enjoy them even more...but this is ultimately about Aoi and Kaoru and their romantic relationship and when its about that its so good!

i did like it, though it was kind of in spite of the comedy episodes. Perhaps a list of the serious episodes would be useful.

FluxWaveZ

Death Parade - 05
Yeah, that was certainly a nice change of pace compared to previous episodes, since the focus of the episode wasn't on a game. The picture book/memory motif that's been introduced through this episode is giving me Monster vibes. It's nice to finally get an explanation concerning the woman assistant's backstory; that'll probably be a big deal in the story moving forward.

The related political stuff between arbiters is interesting; I want to know what the old man's deal is. It'd be neat to maybe see a game that's judged by someone other than Decim, and see how their methods differ compared to his.

Assassination Classroom Episode 4

Had just reread this chapter earlier this week. Great adaptation, though once again anime translator opts for something different than manga translator (well viz vs funi), so we get vitch in the manga and the alternative in the anime.

Loved their foreigners moment.
tumblr_njd4sbIMrN1s4tq6xo1_500.gif

Mr.Jeff

GA 01
Hm... Not sure about this show yet. Hopefully it gets better.
It takes a few episodes to find it's feet but it's an enjoyable little series, especially once they get into the expanded cast as well.
I still dislike Haruka Tomatsu as Kisaragi though. Perhaps because she's eternally typecast as tsundere style characters but she feels really insincere.

PdotMichael is right though; if you can find Sketchbook, it's well worth it. Isn't it getting/did get a US release?

Midonin

Isuca 03

Suseri has my attention. Not just for having Mao Ichimichi as her VA, but also for the family dynamics she brings into things with Sakuya. The gap in tone isn't quite as big as Brynhildr could get, but of all the shows this season, it's still balancing sex and violence in equal amounts to where it holds my attention. Even moreso now that the titular character is showing up.

Death Parade 05

Very interesting episode, giving us more of a look into how all this works. Decim seems like he has some kind of attachment to the girl.

I wonder what the connection to the eyes are. It seems the Arbiters have them but the old man didn't, and neither did Ginti? The elevator guy never opens his eyes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Assassination Classroom Episode 4:

The quirky characters just keep on showing up and this week we get the downright stereotypical femme fatale and traditionally trained assassin lady trying her hand at the unconventional.
It goes about as well as one would expect and sure enough she is molded into becoming another one the wacky cast of characters as was the plan seemingly from the beginning. Indeed, everything seems to be playing out as planned, which indeed begs the question of what exactly is the plan. I wonder if the anime wil ever give us an answer on that end.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Saekano 4
Let see how our hero pull a miracle with that insane schedule. I feel like the author taking a jab to his publisher and his own work.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Death Parade Episode 5:

This was an episode that was quite frankly needed as it shakes up the formula and gives us actual insight into this place and the people who inhabit it as well as giving us new questions to ponder.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah I just don't know if that's enough. The characters don't really feel genuine to me, which is no surprise considering abundant use of harem tropes (so much groping and falling *sigh*, as well as everyone kind of wanting MCs dick). It started of well in that regard but just got worse and worse. Even the moments Kaoru and Aoi do have together lack variety and just like things I've seen before a million times.

I'm enjoying it less with each episode, so I'll discontinue.

Ai Yori Aoshi came out in 2002, when the harem genre was still getting its legs. The show was not completely fresh back then but it also wasnt a tired genre like it is now. Taken by todays standards I could understand your frustration as a million shows after it have done the same things. This is kind of the problem with watching older anime in general. the tropes have been pounded straight into the ground until they are just commonplace. It actually cheapens the romantic parts by proxy. When I watched it way back then it was a really likeable series.

i did like it, though it was kind of in spite of the comedy episodes. Perhaps a list of the serious episodes would be useful.

I agree with that. It had some beautiful moments and the art had a gentle look to it that was very pleasant, but it tried to be too many things and ultimately excelled at none.

rrvv

4hMdIFul.png

best girl

The Tales of Princess Kaguya

basically everyone here is selfish and have strange definition of happiness.

anyway genuine Japanese story and Japanese art. pretty much portray a truly artistic movie from Japan. quite good and fresh I must say

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - 02

Damn, I'm still impressed by the directing and the writing has been pretty strong so far, too. Gotta look up that director.

edit: @_@
Tsurumaki, Kazuya and Anno, Hideaki.

Can't say I expected that, especially since I never even heard about this anime 'til I got the suggestion some time ago and it's ranked #938 on MAL (not like that has to say much). Then again, I'm only 2 episodes in who knows if it can keep up like this.

Quasar

Ai Yori Aoshi came out in 2002, when the harem genre was still getting its legs. The show was not completely fresh back then but it also wasnt a tired genre like it is now. Taken by todays standards I could understand your frustration as a million shows after it have done the same things. This is kind of the problem with watching older anime in general. the tropes have been pounded straight into the ground until they are just commonplace. It actually cheapens the romantic parts by proxy. When I watched it way back then it was a really likeable series.

I agree with that. It had some beautiful moments and the art had a gentle look to it that was very pleasant, but it tried to be too many things and ultimately excelled at none.

I guess my one concern might be about what impact that would have on the whole breakup.

It was one of the first anime I watched when I started watching, but even then I lamented that it did not stay focused on Kaoru and Aoi (and miyabi) and instead was more and more college house hijinx. Which was fine...I just wished it was more like 70/30 in favour of the Kaoru/Aoi.

Jarmel

Banned

Damn, I'm still impressed by the directing and the writing has been pretty strong so far, too. Gotta look up that director.

Can't say I expected that, especially since I never even heard about this anime 'til I got the suggestion some time ago and it's ranked #938 on MAL (not like that has to say much). Then again, I'm only 2 episodes in who knows if it can keep up like this.

I know some people regard Kare Kano as Anno's best work. Haven't seen so I have no opinion on the matter.

BluWacky

It doesn't, because Anno quits before the end. BUT, it's excellent up to that point - and it's not dreadful, just more pedestrian, afterwards (although ends right in the middle of a storyline).

faridmon

Dennou Coil 1-2

So this ended up being a bit more playfully exaggerated than I originally expected. Its introduced a world where Augmented Reality eyewear is common place and everything from one's ability to call people to the street light displays to one's virtual pets are tied into the overarching interface of the world. It flirts a line between what a distinctly SciFi future reality where AR is everywhere would like with what seems like a more light hearted fantasy adventure. Virtual dogs, floating keyboards, and gesture based phone calls exist in the same space where people are combining the external personification of a "bug" in the system and creating hacking/magic cards. I can accept that the cards could be programs and the overall "effect" (shooting lasers, creating literal walls) are more likely the AR just trying to personify the workings of the program into the real world but the SciFi fan in me wants me to try to break down the individual elements into what is "actually" happening behind the scenes of any given event (What are the roles of the AI pets in the grand scheme of things and in what sense do they 'exist'? At first I was thinking that the pet was just an avatar meant to interface with protagonist's glasses but it seems that only the pet in and of itself was effected when the virus latched on. Where is the pet being 'stored' in all of this and what exactly was infected? Things like that.)

But I'm absolutely enjoying the show so far, cant wait to see what direction they're gonna take it.
Oh man you lucky bastard.

I wish I could wipe my memory so I could watch this amazing series afresh.

Enjoy!

Clov

So, ANN had an interview with Gkids! The highlights, according to Fandom Post's WTK (with some additional comments by myself):

-They do not have the home video rights to Only Yesterday; however, they do have the film print, and the theatrical rights. They believe it will get a home video release eventually.
-75% of sales are DVD, Blu-Ray only making up 25%
-No plans to release Giovanni's Island
-No plans for any TV series, ever. Not even Ronja!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom